Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Super Bowl XLII: New England Patriots vs. New York Giants

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
From Glendale, Arizona.

NFL-SB_2339.png

I really wanted it to be Packers-Patriots, but this doesn't look to be a very bad Super Bowl. I have the Patriots winning in a possible blowout, so this Super Bowl will be like what the Giants faced way back in 2001 against the Ravens.

My prediction: Patriots 31 - Giants 17

From Glendale, Arizona.

SUPERBOWL-42-LOGO.gif

I really wanted it to be Packers-Patriots, but this doesn't look to be a very bad Super Bowl. I have the Patriots in a blowout, so this Super Bowl will be like what the Giants faced way back in 2001 against the Ravens.

It was a good game when they played last time about a month ago. It's not like the Pats are blowing everybody away in the playoffs.

If the Giants win, would it be the first time in NFL history, that two brothers (that are NFL QB starters), won a Super Bowl back to back?

As I said on another board, I truly believe in karma. The Giants decided that playing hard in week 17 and stopping history was important, and ended up giving the best team in football a really tough game.

Now look at 'em. They deserve it, even if Coughlin is one of the most miserable human beings I've ever seen coach a football team. He did an awesome job throwing his own kicker under a bus by berating him for having the audacity to miss a FG, then expect him under even more pressure to shrug it off.

Now for the next two weeks we are going to be up to our necks in Boston vs New York playoff/championship BS from all sports. YESPN will make sure of it.

Bill Bucknor, get your hardhat on, you are going to need it.

Man, that game just about caused me a nervous breakdown. I was at a bar in Austin surrounded by a bunch of Packer fans and disgruntled Cowboys fans rooting against the Giants. When Tynes missed that 30 something yarder I thought it was over. I am still in shock that the Giants are in the Super Bowl. 5 weeks ago when they lost to the Skins and Shockey went down I thought the season was over. All I wanted was a rematch with Dallas and a chance to take them out of the playoffs. I was not expecting a trip to the Bowl. They may get killed against the Pats however they have shown some serious nads in this postseason. Hate on Eli all you want but he has been money on the road and hasn't let the pressure or the crowd noise affect him.

Hate on Eli all you want but he has been money on the road and hasn't let the pressure or the crowd noise affect him.

Manning is coming into his own. He posted decent numbers in 2005 and 2006, but they were all int he first half, and as he faded down the stretch, his team did. Now, he's playing solidly when it's needed most. I find myself pulling for him, despite the fact that he's a Manning.

I like the matchup. I said after the Pats-Giants game in the final week that the Giants could beat anyone, and they almost have. Time for the final round against NE.

Eli is maturing right before our eyes. It all really started in the last week of the season vs NE.

Gotta pull for the underdog all the way; Go Giants!

I think NYG have already shown that they can hang with NE. They were a little banged up going into that last game so hopefully their secondary gets healed up in the next two weeks and Plaxico (who totally owned GB) gets closer to 100%.

All you Packers & Cowboys fans need to understand one thing: the Giants are
the best team in their conference right now and are the most deserving representative from the NFC to play in the SB in 2 weeks. They won on your fields in the most stressful and most challenging of circumstances.
Now for this season your teams are just as irrelavant as all the other 28 teams in the NFL not going to the SB and the next season is concerned: your 2007 season is over and you are 0-0 in the standings for your current season. Good luck to all in 2008 !

Wow, I completely forgot that the G-men have done this without Shockey. That makes me respect their accomplishment even more.

Predictions

New England romps. They have gone to the running game and haven't been as formiddable in the cold. But when they played in pass happy weather the beginning of the year it was ugly. Warm weather Super Bowl equals alot of passing.

Eli has a bunch of stinkers next season and people start asking what happened after the end of this year. Guarantee it. Mark it down.

Great run by the G-Men though. Props to going on the road and doing what they did

All you Packers & Cowboys fans need to understand one thing: the Giants are
the best team in their conference right now and are the most deserving representative from the NFC to play in the SB in 2 weeks. They won on your fields in the most stressful and most challenging of circumstances.
Now for this season your teams are just as irrelavant as all the other 28 teams in the NFL not going to the SB and the next season is concerned: your 2007 season is over and you are 0-0 in the standings for your current season. Good luck to all in 2008 !

I've given them props. Great run. Disagree with the bolded part but I find relevance in every season.

I've given them props. Great run. Disagree with the bolded part but I find relevance in every season.

What's to disagree with that? The Giants made TO and company choke on their popcorn in their own building. TO was crying like the punk he is afterwards along with so many of their whiney, excuse laden fans. They go into Green Bay and shut down Bret Favre when the game is on the line, a guy who is known for late game heroics. They end up winning despite 2 missed FGs and that Burress dropped pass within the 5 yard line at the end of the 1st half which resulted in zero points. These guys have won an NFL record 10 straight road games. How are they not the best team in the NFC right now? Who's better? If you dare to say Dallas then I'll have some popcorn and Kleenex ready for you.

popcorn.gif
BooHooSmiley.gif

I give all the props in the world to the Giants. That's four straight games they have looked pretty darn good.

They played the Patriots tough (even though the result was a loss)
Handled 'their business' against Tampa
Smacked Dallas
Shut Favre down.

They made a run at the right time of the year and did what they needed to do to get to the big dance...

What's to disagree with that? The Giants made TO and company choke on their popcorn in their own building. TO was crying like the punk he is afterwards along with so many of their whiney, excuse laden fans. They go into Green Bay and shut down Bret Favre when the game is on the line, a guy who is known for late game heroics. They end up winning despite 2 missed FGs and that Burress dropped pass within the 5 yard line at the end of the 1st half which resulted in zero points. These guys have won an NFL record 10 straight road games. How are they not the best team in the NFC right now? Who's better? If you dare to say Dallas then I'll have some popcorn and Kleenex ready for you.

popcorn.gif
BooHooSmiley.gif

You could have saved the rant. I didn't disagree that they weren't the best team in the NFC and I gave them props. What else do I have to say?They ran the table in 3 away games. That's great. I disagree with saying that it makes 28 other teams irrelevant. To me that is the loser excuse of "we are in the same place as everyone else if we finished 4-12 and a team lost like the Packers or Chargers." True in a way but the season is still relevant in what you have to build on. Again, you went off for no reason and I had the bolded part I was responding to. Try decaf :)

I'm just saying every team lacks relavance for the 2007 season at this point except for the ones in the SB game, the Pats & Giants.

And all the rest of us are starting at scratch again right now at 0-0.

if you're a true fan of the game you're not going to just dismiss the season as irrelevant because you don't make it to the Super Bowl. lots of great games throughout the year, lots of great moments, lots to talk about throughout the season, lots of time wasted on this board and other boards and on sports talk radio....pretty foolish just to dismiss all of that as "irrelevant."

You could have saved the rant. I didn't disagree that they weren't the best team in the NFC and I gave them props. What else do I have to say?They ran the table in 3 away games. That's great. I disagree with saying that it makes 28 other teams irrelevant. To me that is the loser excuse of "we are in the same place as everyone else if we finished 4-12 and a team lost like the Packers or Chargers." True in a way but the season is still relevant in what you have to build on. Again, you went off for no reason and I had the bolded part I was responding to. Try decaf :)

I apologize if I misinterpreted your post. I had BS heaped on me in loads lastnight by disgruntled Cowboys fans during the game so I might be a little sensitive right now.

Man, that game just about caused me a nervous breakdown. I was at a bar in Austin surrounded by a bunch of Packer fans and disgruntled Cowboys fans rooting against the Giants. When Tynes missed that 30 something yarder I thought it was over. I am still in shock that the Giants are in the Super Bowl. 5 weeks ago when they lost to the Skins and Shockey went down I thought the season was over. All I wanted was a rematch with Dallas and a chance to take them out of the playoffs. I was not expecting a trip to the Bowl. They may get killed against the Pats however they have shown some serious nads in this postseason. Hate on Eli all you want but he has been money on the road and hasn't let the pressure or the crowd noise affect him.

I truly think the two are related in a significant way. Losing the force / personality that is Shockey (especially in the huddle) has forced Eli into becoming a leader or failing. It looks like it forced him to step up (or grow up) and become the guy the Giants thought they were getting from Day 1.

A Boston v. New York SuperBowl makes me cry. Like we don't hear about these city's teams enough as is. We are never going to hear the end of this regardless of which team wins.

The Pats win. National media never lets us forget it.
The Giants win. National media never lets us forget it.

It's just a shame that such a historic Super Bowl is basically New York v Boston. I would have much rather preferred to have Favre and the Pack over the GMen. Favre just didn't get it done....props to the Giants and especially Eli and Plax because they dominated that game. Winning 3 road games in a row is impressive even in the regular season, much less the postseason...and Coughlin opting to kick the 47 yard field goal in OT was a ballsy move in those conditions and with his kickers prior screwups.

new york v boston superbowls make me puke
oh and this only means a whole new slew of Manning commercials with 2 times the Manning power

So when does the official "Belichick & Brady own the manning family" thread get started, now or after the superbowl?

Seriously, i despise the patriots only b/c Simms & Esiason take turns gargling brady's man sack every week, but the reality of it is, The patriots beating the Giants in this year's superbowl is just about as sure as death & taxes.
Belichick just won't let that happen

I'll be rooting for Eli & the G-men but i can't see them winning.

I truly think the two are related in a significant way. Losing the force / personality that is Shockey (especially in the huddle) has forced Eli into becoming a leader or failing. It looks like it forced him to step up (or grow up) and become the guy the Giants thought they were getting from Day 1.

Great point. A friend and I were talking about that yesterday. It seemed that they started playing good football once Shockey went down. Shockey may be a little overhyped but he is still a good football player. That didn't make sense but maybe it did just what you claim, and forced Eli to step up and be more of a vocal leader going into the playoffs.

I apologize if I misinterpreted your post. I had BS heaped on me in loads lastnight by disgruntled Cowboys fans during the game so I might be a little sensitive right now.

No problem, I figured. As a Cowboy fan myself I've learned that scoreboard always has it and that you gusy got hot at the right time and are playing some great ball. I was nervous after the TB game and openly rooted for TB because I thought we might lose. If you go on the road for 3 weeks and win, your team is kicking tail. Enjoy it.

QUOTE=nunusguy;828510]I'm just saying every team lacks relavance for the 2007 season at this point except for the ones in the SB game, the Pats & Giants.

And all the rest of us are starting at scratch again right now at 0-0.[/QUOTE]

I got ya. Considering the SB runner up has always followed with a stinker in the next year they might have a disadvantage though:)

Great point. A friend and I were talking about that yesterday. It seemed that they started playing good football once Shockey went down. Shockey may be a little overhyped but he is still a good football player. That didn't make sense but maybe it did just what you claim, and forced Eli to step up and be more of a vocal leader going into the playoffs.

Eli's never been that bad as long as he has protection.

When shockey was healthy i think they felt obligated to use him in the passing game, this left Eli vulnerable alot too, so teams would blitz like all hell to get him uncomfortable.

He's been getting protection these last couple of weeks in part b/c the TE's they have outside of shockey don't have his skill set so they just keep them in as an extra blocker most times.

the emergence of a run game has helped him alot too.

Eli's never been that bad as long as he has protection.

When shockey was healthy i think they felt obligated to use him in the passing game, this left Eli vulnerable alot too, so teams would blitz like all hell to get him uncomfortable.

He's been getting protection these last couple of weeks in part b/c the TE's they have outside of shockey don't have his skill set so they just keep them in as an extra blocker.

yeah its crazy. gilbride is the OC in the Super Bowl. He lived 35-3. He had a hand in it too. But now he lives the dream. never liked the guy's system but he has stayed employed for a long time and that isn't easy in today's league.

I agree with this 100%. Boss is a better blocker and can also make clutch catches. As much as I like Shockey at this point I am wondering if he still has a place on the team. He is extremely talented and one tough son of a gun, however his emotional outbursts on and off the field can be very disrupting. It might be coincidence however the Giants started playing better as a team when he went out.

I think theres a lot in that. Part of it has been Plax not disapearing in Big games like he's been prone to in the past. He really put it on Al Harris last night. Overall the team stepped up big and can pressure the opposing QB well.

I think this Pats team will be well motivated to finish off strong. Not a big fan of either team really but I'll watch the game and hope the Giants at least make it close.

he Patriots are favored by 13 to 14 points against the New York Giants (13-6) at Las Vegas sports books, a higher-than-normal spread to entice underdog bettors on the biggest booked game of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
"The Patriots are still considered by far the best team in the league," said Jay Kornegay, sports book director at the Las Vegas Hilton. "We obviously make that line to get equal action on both sides. To do that, because of the perception of the Patriots, we have to increase their number more than usual."

Bets were flowing in on the Patriots early in the season as they destroyed opponents and the spread, but the team has won by a margin that was larger than the spread only once in its last eight games, said Chuck Esposito, Caesars Palace's assistant vice president of race and sports book operations.

"A game of this magnitude, historically you'll see some money on the favorite," said Esposito, who put the Patriots as 14-point favorites. "I think that's one of the reasons that the number might be a little bit high."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-superbowl-odds&prov=ap&type=lgns

These next two weeks will make me physically ill. I couldnt imagine a worse thing to happen. The only way it could be worse is Colts/ Giants

geeze everyone jumping in on the mask thing.. they should know it won't work on Brady

http://q1043.com/pages/onair/morningshow.html?gclid=CNWg__-MiZECFRuhFQodsVWjGg

Q104.3 is all about psyching out Brady for the Super Bowl, and we've created this Bridget mask to help you guys do it! Download it, print it out on a color printer, cut it up, paste it to a stick and voila! Carry it with you around the city, take it with you to the big game -- don't let any opportunity to psyche Brady out pass!

These next two weeks will make me physically ill. I couldnt imagine a worse thing to happen.

Ummm, Titans vs Cowboys would be the worst thing that could have happened. Just imagine 2 weeks of TO, VY, Romo, Bud, and Jerry. I am getting nauseated just thinking about it considering I would have to root for the Cowboys.

Ummm, Titans vs Cowboys would be the worst thing that could have happened. Just imagine 2 weeks of TO, VY, Romo, Bud, and Jerry. I am getting nauseated just thinking about it considering I would have to root for the Cowboys.

Ummmm, you forgot Jessica Simpson...........

popcorn.gif
BooHooSmiley.gif

The Giants have really played well of late. They got the momentum, and the stars have been aligning.

That said, I think the Pats will still cover the spread, 56-0 to 42-14.:wild:

It's not often I get to mess with Hookem!
icon10.gif

Beat me to it Hookum! I can't think of a worst nightmare for a SB. I wouldn't root for either team if that happened. I'd just take a nice long cruise, go overseas for a month or so, blow my TV up, turn off the radio, stick my head in the dirt, take lots of phenergan and stomach meds, stay drunk for about six months, and curse the football gawds for ever allowing something so horrible to happen to the game of football!!!

Beat me to it Hookum! I can't think of a worst nightmare for a SB. I wouldn't root for either team if that happened. I'd just take a nice long cruise, go overseas for a month or so, blow my TV up, turn off the radio, stick my head in the dirt, take lots of phenergan and stomach meds, stay drunk for about six months, and curse the football gawds for ever allowing something so horrible to happen to the game of football!!!

Cowboys v. Titans....???? Well, I would just have to check-out... :gun:

Back