Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

STROUD NAMED STARTER

lukecolley1011

Practice Squad
CJ had struggled in his first game against the Patriots but quickly got his feet back in the water. CJ got his first TD against the Saints connecting with Nico Collins and tried connecting with Nico on a deep ball that should've been caught. In short words we all expected this. Link down below with CJ reacting to starting and giving praise to the Buckeyes.

It’s not quite the same Ravens team and Stroud is a more highly regarded prospect but Nathan Peterman’s career was basically ruined after making his first career start on the road in Baltimore.

Some pundits had even thought of him as more “pro ready” than the first round QBs taken that year (Trubisky, Mahomes and WD40). Then he threw 5 INTs in one half and nobody ever thought of him as a serious candidate to start an NFL game again.

I hope the Texans protect Stroud. Run the ball, keep the pass attempts sub 30 even if the score gets out of hand. Short drop backs and quick throws, no Mike Martz stuff.

Just get out of this game healthy!

Its a "Increase viewership" kinda MCnair move.. I know were hurting in $$ last few years but development wise of a young man. I think its iffy. Way iffy.
I like this post because it's true.

I LoL at this post because the McNair's are hurting for money.

It’s not quite the same Ravens team and Stroud is a more highly regarded prospect but Nathan Peterman’s career was basically ruined after making his first career start on the road in Baltimore.

Some pundits had even thought of him as more “pro ready” than the first round QBs taken that year (Trubisky, Mahomes and WD40). Then he threw 5 INTs in one half and nobody ever thought of him as a serious candidate to start an NFL game again.

I hope the Texans protect Stroud. Run the ball, keep the pass attempts sub 30 even if the score gets out of hand. Short drop backs and quick throws, no Mike Martz stuff.

Just get out of this game healthy!
The WCO is designed for this.

What that said, let her rip. Let's get this show on the road.

I don't have a clue what DeMeco was doing with the QB decision. Trying to be cute for what purpose? I'm sure Baltimore wasn't quaking in their boots at the prospect of Davis Mills playing instead of CJ. Was that it? Give me a break.

I hope this smartest guy in the room act that fools nobody that seems to have spread from Nick to DeMeco ends here and now.

That's now two demerits on DeMeco since the start of camp.

I don't have a clue what DeMeco was doing with the QB decision. Trying to be cute for what purpose? I'm sure Baltimore wasn't quaking in their boots at the prospect of Davis Mills playing instead of CJ. Was that it? Give me a break.

I hope this smartest guy in the room act that fools nobody that seems to have spread from Nick to DeMeco ends here and now.

Be sure and let him know that he's failing on your approval rating

I think it was for Stroud so he didn’t walk in with that over his head and they just gave him every opportunity to prove he’s the guy.

Be sure and let him know that he's failing on your approval rating

Last time I looked this is a Texans fan forum. We discuss the good, the bad, and the ugly and state our opinion right?

Did you want to discuss the weeds invading my garden? I'm really tired of pulling that damn nutsedge.

In fact, I've got many demerits for nutsedge. So, let's turn this into a lawn and garden forum. Show of hands for a gardening forum!

First topic - nutsedge and how the devil planted it in my garden.

Last time I looked this is a Texans fan forum. We discuss the good, the bad, and the ugly and state our opinion right?

Did you want to discuss the weeds invading my garden? I'm really tired of pulling that damn nutsedge.

In fact, I've got many demerits for nutsedge. So, let's turn this into a lawn and garden forum. Show of hands for a gardening forum!

First topic - nutsedge and how the devil planted it in my garden.

You should plant other herbs in your garden. :)

And since this is now a gardening thread, I once had some potted cactus plants growing on my little upstairs patio. They were nice and I enjoyed them, and then one day they starting all growing some kind of mold, so I threw them all away.

And since this is now a gardening thread, I once had some potted cactus plants growing on my little upstairs patio. They were nice and I enjoyed them, and then one day they starting all growing some kind of mold, so I threw them all away.

Wasting good penicillin

Just my measly .02c but I believe the objective was to try and keep Stroud as far away from the day 1 savior label as possible, for both his sake and the fans. Rather than feel the whole weight of a franchise on his back he just allowed the kid to do what he's always done best - compete.

The obvious downside to that his the reps from the get go. But if DeMeco believed all along that Stroud had what it takes to 'win' the job and it was just a matter of letting the process play out then he knew he'd in all likelihood the starter for the duration of the season and the reps would come throughout and the product at the end of the year would ultimately be worth the small sacrifice at the beginning and the kid could start week 1, again, just competing instead of being burdened with unnecessary expectations.

Again, just my silly little theory as to the 'why' we saw the so-called competition play out as it did.

I reserve the right to be wrong af..

Man I was hoping this idiotic line of thinking was confined to sports talk radio but I guess not. This is so inconsequential I'd contend it's not even worth discussing. What's DeMeco's next demerit in your eyes I wonder? Maybe if his socks don't quite match his shoes next practice you can have Cal come out and fire him right then and there.

Ryans should have pulled an O’Brien and started Mills in Baltimore, only to pull him in the second quarter.
It’s not out of the realm of possibility that it’ll happen. (The other way around though) All it takes is a disastrous 1st half in Baltimore. The reason I say they wait until after the first half (if the offense is a disaster) because egos won’t allow Stroud to get yanked early in the game.

*For the record, this is not what I hope happens. I’m rooting for us to go in there and absolutely destroy Lamar Jackson’s ugly ass and his defense!

What's the other demerit?

Did they cause mold on your other plants? If so you have a fungus and should put a fungicide in your soil.

Stroud was always going to start game 1.

Cant mess with Hannah's marketing strategy.

Just my measly .02c but I believe the objective was to try and keep Stroud as far away from the day 1 savior label as possible, for both his sake and the fans. Rather than feel the whole weight of a franchise on his back he just allowed the kid to do what he's always done best - compete.

The obvious downside to that his the reps from the get go. But if DeMeco believed all along that Stroud had what it takes to 'win' the job and it was just a matter of letting the process play out then he knew he'd in all likelihood the starter for the duration of the season and the reps would come throughout and the product at the end of the year would ultimately be worth the small sacrifice at the beginning and the kid could start week 1, again, just competing instead of being burdened with unnecessary expectations.

Again, just my silly little theory as to the 'why' we saw the so-called competition play out as it did.

I reserve the right to be wrong af..
I believe your theory/2 cents is spot on.

I think maybe he was telling the truth. If I were coach there are two things I need to see from whoever before naming him the starter.

1st is that he's coachable & isn't going to tell me how the NFL works.

2nd, that he's a true leader. You don't need the title to be a leader. It's not something I can give you. You earn respect, you earn trust. You lead the way & if people follow, you're the leader.

I think DeMeco handled it right. Forget what you did at OhioState, forget where you were drafted. Time to earn a living.

I just hope they dont hit the panic button midway through the season and bench him.

I would have been fine if they sat CJ for the season and he learned behind Mills/Case.

Since you start him, I think you keep him out there and stick to your decision, let him take his lumps and learn. Maybe lightning strikes and it clicks and the season becomes one of legend.

Most likely it looks like crap and if you're lucky.... he learns from it and next season you have a much wiser QB.

I just hope they dont hit the panic button midway through the season and bench him.

I would have been fine if they sat CJ for the season and he learned behind Mills/Case.

Since you start him, I think you keep him out there and stick to your decision, let him take his lumps and learn. Maybe lightning strikes and it clicks and the season becomes one of legend.

Most likely it looks like crap and if you're lucky.... he learns from it and next season you have a much wiser QB.

Stroud wiser?

LMAO

Man I was hoping this idiotic line of thinking was confined to sports talk radio but I guess not. This is so inconsequential I'd contend it's not even worth discussing. What's DeMeco's next demerit in your eyes I wonder? Maybe if his socks don't quite match his shoes next practice you can have Cal come out and fire him right then and there.

31 teams named their starter. You're telling me DeMeco cannot? This cute nonsense tells me that's it's not a serious org. This crap is the same nonsensical BS BOB ran through town.

31 teams named their starter. You're telling me DeMeco cannot? This cute nonsense tells me that's it's not a serious org. This crap is the same nonsensical BS BOB ran through town.
What difference does it make?

It's pretty obvious Stroud was going to be the starter from the moment he was drafted. Per Ownership

• Haha
Reactions: JB
I don't know why they didn't do it and frankly I don't care. It doesn't matter. They clearly knew who they were starting from like day 3 of camp and it's not like they were taking reps from Stroud to give to Mills. The only thing they didn't do was say the words to the media. If you can articulate why that matters then give it a shot. I think you're just looking for something to be upset about tbh.

Demeco said nothing is given. It has to be worked for and earned.

Stroud wasn’t the starter unless he was the best in camp and he got it.

What difference does it make?

It's pretty obvious Stroud was going to be the starter from the moment he was drafted. Per Ownership

Thanks for making my point. So why all the cloak and dagger super secret spy stuff? Did he think the fine folks in Baltimore were sweating bullets wondering who the starter is. It's childish and amateurish. 31 other teams named their starter and DeMeco is up there acting like a 3rd grader hiding behind his mama's skirt going, you can't find me and giggling. It's silly and makes the org look like a bunch of children are running the place.

Thanks for making my point. So why all the cloak and dagger super secret spy stuff? Did he think the fine folks in Baltimore were sweating bullets wondering who the starter is. It's childish and amateurish. 31 other teams named their starter and DeMeco is up there acting like a 3rd grader hiding behind his mama's skirt going, you can't find me and giggling. It's silly and makes the org look like a bunch of children are running the place.
First I’d say if the folks in Baltimore even took a half hour to think about the difference in going against Mills and Stroud then you gained something from it.

But even if that’s not true you still have yet to demonstrate any negatives besides the way it makes you view the organization which I doubt anyone making the decisions gives a rats ass about.

Disagree, it doesn't matter.

Well I guess it does matter to those who care about what others think about them. I'm not in this group of fans.

I think you are the only person up in arms about this. Cloak and dagger? Secret spy? Childish? Seriously?

Demeco sent a message to the team. He is setting the tone. You work for what you get. Earned not given. He started with the highest draft pick and the most important position.

He gave Mills a chance to beat Stroud. Didn’t happen.

I think you are the only person up in arms about this. Cloak and dagger? Secret spy? Childish? Seriously?

Demeco sent a message to the team. He is setting the tone. You work for what you get. Earned not given. He started with the highest draft pick and the most important position.

He gave Mills a chance to beat Stroud. Didn’t happen.
Mills never had a chance to beat Stroud out from the moment Stroud was drafted.

exactly. So why this fake drama. nobody, and I mean literally nobody, bought the act.

Unlike others, I think amateur hour at the Improv should be left to the comedy club circuit.

not only does it insult my intelligence, it’s stupid, petty, childish, and makes the ship look rudderless.

I get the first two weeks to a point. After that, set your sails in the direction you want to go, and let your players know…this is your leader.

I realize the golden boy is beyond reproach. I praise when due. I criticize when due. I am not a fanboy of anyone. I call balls and strikes as I see them. This was a failure of leadership and an unnecessary distraction.

Hopefully it won’t be repeated. He’s learning like everyone In a new job.

exactly. So why this fake drama. nobody, and I mean literally nobody, bought the act.

Unlike others, I think amateur hour at the Improv should be left to the comedy club circuit.

not only does it insult my intelligence, it’s stupid, petty, childish, and makes the ship look rudderless.

I get the first two weeks to a point. After that, set your sails in the direction you want to go, and let your players know…this is your leader.

I realize the golden boy is beyond reproach. I praise when due. I criticize when due. I am not a fanboy of anyone. I call balls and strikes as I see them. This was a failure of leadership and an unnecessary distraction.

Hopefully it won’t be repeated. He’s learning like everyone In a new job.
Sorry you were distracted

You're in a class of one.

it was a distraction in the locker room too, but that’s ok. I have never gone with the herd, so I will be the black sheep on this matter.
To me just seems like if there's one thing you should trust Ryans on at this point it's how to handle the players and the locker room. The first thing anyone who has talked about him has mentioned is his ability to lead men. It's very surprising to me that you think you know more about how to handle an NFL locker room than him.

Last edited:
I don't believe Davis Mills was ever considered to be the day 1 starter UNLESS Stroud just simply did not do the things he needed to do. Be coachable, study, put the work in and all that good stuff. Everybody knows what Mills brings. CJ was the starter the day they drafted him unless he didn't take it seriously. He did, so here we are.

Disagree.

Look at it this way -

A father can give his son a chance to put wrestle him but the son will never win at a young age.

Mills got to play with the first team. That was a chance. Unless he lit the world on fire or Stroud wasn’t going to prove his worth then Mills wasn’t going to earn the starting job.

Another aspect is the motivational and team building aspect of it. Stroud had to earn it. By doing so Stroud was pushed and in the process got some respect from teammates. And a message was sent to the team.

If you don’t understand the motivational aspect, being pushed, etc then it won’t ever make sense.

Back