Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Steve McKinney signs new 4 year deal!!!!

Hard to say what we are doing at this point...

I think Hogdon showed real promise last year till the foot injury.

He is up in his stance very quickly, and was a definite upgrade over McKinney@ center

I'm not dismissing Hodg as a possible solution at center, but JMO there was a scheme change which greatly assisted him in comparison to McKinney. When the OL had Riley--Pitts--McKinney, Pitts spent a great deal of time helping out Riley leaving McKinney on an island with respect to the left side. When the line moved to Pitts--McKinney--Hodg, Pitts was generally on an island (JMO but Pitts works much better when given a single assignment and asked to perform--kill Freeney vs. decide whether to help out the LT or C or pick up the blitzer) and McKinney spent most of his time assisting Hodg. McKinney and Hodg looked good, but they were mutually assisting in that effort. McKinney did look better at G but in an optimistic fashion maybe this is the kind of scheme/teamwork thing which the new coaching staff can bring out of the players--play to their strengths.

infantrycak said:
I'm not dismissing Hodg as a possible solution at center, but JMO there was a scheme change which greatly assisted him in comparison to McKinney. When the OL had Riley--Pitts--McKinney, Pitts spent a great deal of time helping out Riley leaving McKinney on an island with respect to the left side. When the line moved to Pitts--McKinney--Hodg, Pitts was generally on an island (JMO but Pitts works much better when given a single assignment and asked to perform--kill Freeney vs. decide whether to help out the LT or C or pick up the blitzer) and McKinney spent most of his time assisting Hodg. McKinney and Hodg looked good, but they were mutually assisting in that effort. McKinney did look better at G but in an optimistic fashion maybe this is the kind of scheme/teamwork thing which the new coaching staff can bring out of the players--play to their strengths.

It appears that the current staff does not think that the raw talent along the OL sucks. the more I think about the notion that Capers and co had was to "put the best 5 Olmen on the field." The flaw seems to be that it put 2 or 3 guys at their 2nd or 3rd best position weakening the whole unit. May have better with keeping as many players at thier best position even if it means to play the say 7th best overall OLmen because the other four spots may only have one weak area to cover up.

bdiddy said:
It looks like at least part of the Texans line is set for next year. The piece on the Texans homepage quotes McKinney as stating that he is moving to left guard and that he looks forward to working on his timing working next to Pitts. Thus, it seems almost presumed that Pitts and McKinney will make up the left side of the line. Additionally, John McClains article made it seem as though Hogdgon was penciled in at center. I think McClain may be mistaken, but still looks like our line will remain largely entact. I do like McKinney much more at guard.

McKinny backed off of his statements about being the LG a little bit on his interview on 790. He was in "guard or center" mode, stated Hodgdon would have to win the center job, etc. He also stated he didn't talk to Sherman a whole lot about specific responsibilities, more just about the general concepts of how the line would play. The running game would be based on zone blocking, but would also mix in counter plays, power plays, and other man on man stuff.

No matter what the Chronicle says, I think it is very unlikely that 3 or even 2 offensive line positions are set before free agency, the draft, and workouts. I'm not sure all of the linemen have even talked to the coaches face to face yet. They might have a preliminary depth chart, but take that for what it's worth. It would be based on a lot of film study and projections of what they think players can do within the system they will put in. I think things will be much more clear after coaches sessions have started and we have an idea of who is on the roster.

Bubbajwp said:
Im not to confident in Hodgdon yet. But as of right know he is the starter IMO. Also I was just wondering why nobody has been talking about L Bently lately.

I think a lot of people have given up on him since there have been reports he is going somewhere else. I still think he'd go a long way toward solidifying our line if we chose to go after a big ticket free agent and did get him. I wouldn't give up until he actually signs somewhere else. I'm sure if he was ever a target of our coaching staff our front office hasn't given up either.

infantrycak said:
I'm not dismissing Hodg as a possible solution at center, but JMO there was a scheme change which greatly assisted him in comparison to McKinney. When the OL had Riley--Pitts--McKinney, Pitts spent a great deal of time helping out Riley leaving McKinney on an island with respect to the left side.

When the line moved to Pitts--McKinney--Hodg, Pitts was generally on an island (JMO but Pitts works much better when given a single assignment and asked to perform--kill Freeney vs. decide whether to help out the LT or C or pick up the blitzer) and McKinney spent most of his time assisting Hodg.

It is hard to say anything about the line from last year with any certainty given the offense they were reduced to by mid-season. That being said, I thought that Brown did a better job at helping out Pitts than Pitts did Riley.

For all of the people who state that "Pitts is a better tackle than guard" there must be a reason. If anything, I think it is because he was not a very good "o-line team player" from the guard position. I guess that is basically what you were saying with your parenthetical statement above.

I agree that we will not know more until free agency and the draft. Although, I suspect that the Texans will not add more than one new starter via the draft and that at the present time the staff would prefer bringing in a veteran.

I would not be surprised to see Hogdgon get some time a right guard.

bdiddy said:
I agree that we will not know more until free agency and the draft. Although, I suspect that the Texans will not add more than one new starter via the draft and that at the present time the staff would prefer bringing in a veteran.

I would not be surprised to see Hogdgon get some time a right guard.

I don't think we'll see more than one new face on the line either - maybe none. But depending on who that face is, he could certainly effect the mystical "3 set starters" if he is a proven vet at one of those positions.

I still think we'll see some surprises on the depth chart before, during and after coaches sessions, not to mention training camp. (Note the the Texans site says it won't update the public depth chart until just before training camp).

outofhnd said:
Hard to say what we are doing at this point...

I think Hogdon showed real promise last year till the foot injury.

He is up in his stance very quickly, and was a definite upgrade over McKinney@ center

I think Hodgdon was definitely an upgrade in pass blocking, but I had questions about his run blocking capabilities and his fire/mean streak. I don't have those questions about Nick Mangold, so I would definitely take Mangold over Hodgdon as our C.

ArlingtonTexan said:
It appears that the current staff does not think that the raw talent along the OL sucks. the more I think about the notion that Capers and co had was to "put the best 5 Olmen on the field." The flaw seems to be that it put 2 or 3 guys at their 2nd or 3rd best position weakening the whole unit. May have better with keeping as many players at thier best position even if it means to play the say 7th best overall OLmen because the other four spots may only have one weak area to cover up.
Sorry Arlington, but I think its a waste of time trying to figure out what the
"method to the madness" was of Capers & Co re their management, decision
making process, etc. of the OL.
But your point about the new regime's assesment of the talent level of the
OL might be valid. At any rate, it will be very interesting to see who they try to pick in FA and in the Draft to improve the OL.
And most of all, I'm waiting to see what happens to one Seth Wand ? I think
he's now a RFA. Will other teams approach him, will we try to keep him and if
so what might his role be in the OL for this Fall: possible starter or just bench-warmer ?

nunusguy said:
And most of all, I'm waiting to see what happens to one Seth Wand ? I think
he's now a RFA. Will other teams approach him, will we try to keep him and if
so what might his role be in the OL for this Fall: possible starter or just bench-warmer ?

He is somewhat the forgotten man in the news. I thought this quote from the Chronicle sidebar was incomplete without his name, not that I buy the three-fifths statement anyway:

Three-fifths of the Texans' offensive line is now set (below). The right guard and right tackle positions will be filled by some combination of Todd Wade, Zach Wiegert and Milford Brown.

I imagine he'll compete for a starting tackle position. I bet we won't see him working out at guard.

I'm assuming he gets the minimum tender - which means he'd cost a team a 3rd round pick. That might make him appealing to some other teams. He'd be better than a rookie 3rd round left tackle, given his physical skills and his experience in the league.

Runner said:
I think a lot of people have given up on Bentley since there have been reports he is going somewhere else. I still think he'd go a long way toward solidifying our line if we chose to go after a big ticket free agent and did get him. I wouldn't give up until he actually signs somewhere else. I'm sure if he was ever a target of our coaching staff our front office hasn't given up either.

for what its worth Ohio State offensive line coach Jim Bollman rates Nick Mangold on a par with former Buckeye All-American and 2001 Rimington Award winner LeCharles Bentley ... like Bentley can also play guard ... has tremendous power at the point of attack but is mobile enough to pull and lead the play ... is a devastating downfield blocker ...

beerlover said:
for what its worth Ohio State offensive line coach Jim Bollman rates Nick Mangold on a par with former Buckeye All-American and 2001 Rimington Award winner LeCharles Bentley ... like Bentley can also play guard ... has tremendous power at the point of attack but is mobile enough to pull and lead the play ... is a devastating downfield blocker ...

If we don't pick up Bentley as a free agent I'd like to see us draft Mangold with our 2nd round pick if he's there. We need help in the middle of the line.

Back