Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Steel B's Updated Plan

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
1. Resign
Daniels, Ryans, (Robinson to a 4 year contract that can be gotten out of after 2 years if DR doesn't return to form), Ferguson

2. Fa's
1. McAlister former probowl CB that can play S should come cheap because he is coming off minor knee surgery
2. Rhodes Is very effective in short yardage for the Colts
3. Mike Peterson Is a team captian who Del Rio scapegoated IMO. He is very productive & hasn't had injury problems in 2 years. Would be a steal IMO.

Draft I would trade an 09 4th & a 10 4th for an 09 3rd.

Let the bashing begin

rd1 Raji DT BC We need top stop the run
rd2 Hardy DE Miss I think he will fall due to injury concerns. Pass rusher we need

rd3 Brace DT BC We need to stop the run. This shows we're serious about it.
rd3 Harris SS Okla. Big atheletic saftey who is available only because this years draft is so deep @ S. Oklahoma S play early.

rd.5 Byars C-G USC Great technician who fits the ZBS like a glove. He falls because of injury history but has been healthy this year.
rd6 Ayers DE Tenn. Pass rusher who falls because of past arrest. Nothing major. Great talent has drawn double teams all year. I also like Melton alot.
rd7 McGee QB TexA&M Strong arm, mobile, smart Kubes does Sherman a favor

Priorty UDFA's
1. Brian Toal LB BC fast hard hitting LB who also was A great short yardage RB @ BC. He is only available becaue of injuries
2. Brantley P TexA&M We will be lucky if he isn't drafted

I like your concentration on the D-line with the first 3 picks but I think we can do better than Harris at 3B, I like Emmanuel Cook better, he's faster. I also don't think Byers will be around in the 5th round but not sure who to replace him with in the 5th round, maybe Tyronne Green from Auburn if still available. I don't like the 6th pick only because I can't see us taking 4 D-linemen in one draft, we've got other positional needs, maybe another O-lineman for depth or an OLB for depth, or another S for depth. McGee in the 7th is great if he's still there. Good UDFA's. Overall I give it a B- which is good but not great.

I think Rhodes coupled with Manning makes him a very good back. On our team , he lays an egg. Just like he did in Oakland . You're over paying for maginal tallent. No matter what you pay him. Board is full of running backs. find one you like and pick him. If you're dumping Taylor too, pick two.

I'm not so sure Hardy slips to our pick in the 2nd round but if you can't tell for sure the day before the draft, you certainly can't tell this far out. I don't think his foot injury is any sort of long term issue and he should be completely healed during the offseason. It could be enough for him to slip a little though if he declares. On top of that he's been kind of inconsistent, but I think most of that is due to the injury. If we can get him in the 2nd round- that would be very good for us.

Raji has been jumping up the boards. If he's the DT we need to plug in next to TJ/Amobi then by all means I would love the pick. We do need to get the rush defense plugged to help out our linebackers.

Raji and Hardy would be a terrific 1st two picks. I like the Peterson pick up in the FA too. 3rd round would be good to look at safety like you have, not sure on prospects for then though.

I like your concentration on the D-line with the first 3 picks but I think we can do better than Harris at 3B, I like Emmanuel Cook better, he's faster. I also don't think Byers will be around in the 5th round but not sure who to replace him with in the 5th round, maybe Tyronne Green from Auburn if still available. I don't like the 6th pick only because I can't see us taking 4 D-linemen in one draft, we've got other positional needs, maybe another O-lineman for depth or an OLB for depth, or another S for depth. McGee in the 7th is great if he's still there. Good UDFA's. Overall I give it a B- which is good but not great.

I haven't seen Cook play but if he's better than Harris & available then we should take him. If Byers isn't there we could take the best RB (Goodson is my choice) or LB (Matthews hopefully).

We need depth in the DL IMO. (See the Giants) We will be lucky to get a pass rusher the quality of a Melton or Ayers in the 6th rd. This is a great draft for DE's & we need to get a couple to help the pass rush IMO.

I think Rhodes coupled with Manning makes him a very good back. On our team , he lays an egg. Just like he did in Oakland . You're over paying for maginal tallent. No matter what you pay him. Board is full of running backs. find one you like and pick him. If you're dumping Taylor too, pick two.

Rhodes is a solid short yardage back. He had 3 100 yard games with OAK. with Andrew Walter @ QB. Schaub is Manning lite when healty IMO he will be able to help Rhodes. OAK had 3 rb's when he was there so PT was hard to come by. I'm not against picking a RB late in the draft. I like Goodson, Kevin Grady & Micah Andrews.

I'm not so sure Hardy slips to our pick in the 2nd round but if you can't tell for sure the day before the draft, you certainly can't tell this far out. I don't think his foot injury is any sort of long term issue and he should be completely healed during the offseason. It could be enough for him to slip a little though if he declares. On top of that he's been kind of inconsistent, but I think most of that is due to the injury. If we can get him in the 2nd round- that would be very good for us.

Raji has been jumping up the boards. If he's the DT we need to plug in next to TJ/Amobi then by all means I would love the pick. We do need to get the rush defense plugged to help out our linebackers.

Raji and Hardy would be a terrific 1st two picks. I like the Peterson pick up in the FA too. 3rd round would be good to look at safety like you have, not sure on prospects for then though.

I'm all about building the trenches OL-DL

I would take E.Brown or Orakpo in the first if they were available.

OMT where do you think Jerry will be taken?

I'm all about building the trenches OL-DL

I would take E.Brown or Orakpo in the first if they were available.

OMT where do you think Jerry will be taken?

That's a good question. I'd say he's probably a 2nd round player with possibility of late 1st. It really depends about other players declaring. He's a good penetrating DT and reminds me of Amobi kind of. If a team needs a DT like him a 1st round pick could be warranted but I'd be careful taking him too early. If we didn't already have two similar DT's on the roster, I'd be all over it. He's a different beast than a Raji or Cody. In any case, I think Oher, Hardy and Jerry will all be gone by the start of the 3rd round and most likely by our pick in the 2nd, but that's what I love about the draft- ya never know, I thought Adibi would for sure be gone in the 2nd round last year. we got him in the 4th:)

1. Resign
Daniels, Ryans, (Robinson to a 4 year contract that can be gotten out of after 2 years if DR doesn't return to form), Ferguson

2. Fa's
1. McAlister former probowl CB that can play S should come cheap because he is coming off minor knee surgery
2. Rhodes Is very effective in short yardage for the Colts
3. Mike Peterson Is a team captian who Del Rio scapegoated IMO. He is very productive & hasn't had injury problems in 2 years. Would be a steal IMO.

Draft I would trade an 09 4th & a 10 4th for an 09 3rd.

Let the bashing begin

rd1 Raji DT BC We need top stop the run
rd2 Hardy DE Miss I think he will fall due to injury concerns. Pass rusher we need

rd3 Brace DT BC We need to stop the run. This shows we're serious about it.
rd3 Harris SS Okla. Big atheletic saftey who is available only because this years draft is so deep @ S. Oklahoma S play early.

rd.5 Byars C-G USC Great technician who fits the ZBS like a glove. He falls because of injury history but has been healthy this year.
rd6 Ayers DE Tenn. Pass rusher who falls because of past arrest. Nothing major. Great talent has drawn double teams all year. I also like Melton alot.
rd7 McGee QB TexA&M Strong arm, mobile, smart Kubes does Sherman a favor

Priorty UDFA's
1. Brian Toal LB BC fast hard hitting LB who also was A great short yardage RB @ BC. He is only available becaue of injuries
2. Brantley P TexA&M We will be lucky if he isn't drafted

Resigning-

Agree Daniels and Ryans are no brainers to extensions but Dunta is going to be a saga I think. I think both sides would greatly benefit from a one year deal to see if Dunta returns to full form and then he can hit the big payday with us or someone else.

Staff Changes:

Smith needs to go and I think that alone will have a big impact on how this defense comes out the gates next year and how we develop talent on OUR roster. Hoke needs to be shown the road as well. Bobby Grier needs to carry Hoke's bags out.

FAs
1. Right team wrong position. Should be looking at Suggs. Not to pick on you but why does it seem like the fan base here likes the idea of taking a CB and plugging them in at Safety? How about getting or drafting a guy that ....... plays safety?

2. Rhodes wasn't anything special in Oakland.... though that isn' t saying much. Would prefer looking at Derrick Ward from the Giants. JJ Arrington might be worth a look as well.

3. Mike Peterson would be a nice steal. Channing Crowder maybe. As per NFL reports looks like the Saints are going to wait on resigning Johnathon Vilma. Don't think they'll let him slip but if he's enticed....it'd make for a heck of a LB corps.

Draft:

1.Seen a lot of people asking for Raji. I kind of disagree I think our Tackles have been used wrong. Barring us signing someone who can make a difference at LB in FA if we do go defense 1st round that's the best value. There should be some good ones to pick from. I'm in the mind we should take Duke Robinson and help seal up the interior line of our offensive line. Our offense is much further along then the defense and I think we're a player away on the Oline from them being able to carry this team until the defense picks it up.

2. If we went LB we need to address the interior of the line and even if we did get an OL in the first if Alex Mack drops into our laps we should take him. DE Hardy like you suggested might be here and I wouldn't be opposed to him. We need someone who can contribute on either side of the ball.

3.If we don't get Mack, Caldwell from Alabama would be a great pick. Shonn Green would be good here as well.

Beyond here I am not really sure. Maybe Arian Foster drops to the fourth.I'm not opposed to your picks beyond here.

For RB I really like Derrick Ward. With what it will take to re-sign Brandon Jacobs (also a FA,) the Giants should not have the resources to also retain Ward. He's a solid back (physically) at 5-11 230lbs, has averaged 4.8YPC the past 2 years, and has fantastic hands at 26 catches in 2007 and 37 in 2008 with 3 games to play. He's 28 with very little mileage and only 368 touches over the past 5 seasons (averaging only 73 touches per season.)

He is a great candidate to fill the second half of a RB tandem with Slaton.

I don't like the FA signings. McCalister will not be cheap, our linebackers are solid/good, and Rhodes is nothing special.

#1 Raji is a great pick for where we project.
#2 Hardy has fallen off my board because of character issues. 2nd round is worth the risk for his talent.
#3 I think we'll be fine with NT Raji/Okam UT Okoye/Johnson. I like Luigs, a safety, or RB here.
I don't see the Texans trading up either.

For RB I really like Derrick Ward. With what it will take to re-sign Brandon Jacobs (also a FA,) the Giants should not have the resources to also retain Ward. He's a solid back (physically) at 5-11 230lbs, has averaged 4.8YPC the past 2 years, and has fantastic hands at 26 catches in 2007 and 37 in 2008 with 3 games to play. He's 28 with very little mileage and only 368 touches over the past 5 seasons (averaging only 73 touches per season.)

He is a great candidate to fill the second half of a RB tandem with Slaton.

Ward is the perfect compliment to Slaton but will be more expensive.

I don't like the FA signings. McCalister will not be cheap, our linebackers are solid/good, and Rhodes is nothing special.

#1 Raji is a great pick for where we project.
#2 Hardy has fallen off my board because of character issues. 2nd round is worth the risk for his talent.
#3 I think we'll be fine with NT Raji/Okam UT Okoye/Johnson. I like Luigs, a safety, or RB here.
I don't see the Texans trading up either.

McAlister will be a bargain for a player of his talent level. Peterson will start @ the SAM LB. He can play all 3 LB positions. We will have great depth @ LB for the first time since our inception. Rhodes is a former 1000 yard rusher & a quality short yardage RB. He's nt chopped liver but not an all-star.

If we re-sign (PAPPA-L) Johnson I can see your thinking. I like Luings alot also.

Back