Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Steel B's Texan Mock 1.0

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Rd. 1 Dalton Risner OT Kansas St 6'5 300.- One of the most ready OT's in the draft. Is more of a technician in pass pro uses good angles and knows how to wall off DE's from his QB. Strong and dominant in the run game. Once he latches onto you your done. Avg Athlete who compares well to David Bahkitari. Very dedicated to his craft.

Rd.2 Yodany Cajuste- OT West Va. 6'5 310 - Has great feet and is very good feet and good hand placement in pass pro. He's high cut and lacks power in the run game but should be able to gain strength and fix his a tendency of lunging ing the run game. Which is wierd because he has great balance in pass pro and rarely lunges. Reminds me of Donovan Smith.

Rd.2 David Montgomery RB Iowa St. 5'10 220 - Montgomery runs extremely hard, has great quickness and vision. Good at finding holes hand has a terrific jump cut. Good hands in the pass game and while he will probably only run a 4.55 in the 40 he runs that fast in pads. Hard to tackle and is a good GL RB. Needs work in pass pro. Melvin Gordon is my comparison

Rd.3 Kaleb McGary- OT Washington 6-6 320 - Mountain of a man, Toughness uses very sound technique and will blow his man off the ball using his superior length/strength. A RT only due to avg feet but knows how to use his length to keep rushers off of his QB. he has the toughness the Texans OL is currently lacking. Comparison - Morgan Moses

Rd.- 4 Isiah Johnson CB Houston 6'2 195 Houston- Tall rangy CB with good wheels. Former WR. Still learning the position. Solid tackler, can turn and run with WR's but takes too many chances. The athletic bilty is there for Johnson to become a starter someday but he's very raw right now.

Rd.5 KaVonte Turpin- WR/PR/KR TCU 5'9 157 - Turpin is probably the fastest guy in college football and is a very dynamic player with the ball in his hands. Highlight reel waiting to happen. has toughness for such a small guy.

Rd.6 Alex Barr OG Nottre Dame OG 6'6 318- Barr tore his ACL this yr, but was dominating at LG. Tough at point of attack. Moves people. Has played RT/RG. 5th yr Sr, Team Capitan. If he takes a yr off and gets healthy he can definitely be a starter at either of the OG positions. I 1st noticed Barr while whatching Quenton Nelson. Dude is a player in his own right. Comparison- Laken Tomlinson.

Rd.7 Trace McSorley QB Penis St. 6'0 203- McSorley is a playmaker who has mobility and a strong accurate arm. Only downside is he's undersized. A team leader who's calm under pressure and will do whatever it takes to win.

I put some time in this and would really appreciate others thoughts/critiques.

Another CB I really like is Blace Brown from Troy, he's a tall fast rangy playmaker, very smooth and returned a pick for a TD against LSU last yr but he will probably be gone in the rd 2-3 range.

I think protecting Watson is the most important thing that Gaine can do this offseaon and giving him 3 talented OT/OG's and a talented RB like Montgomery (My favorite in the draft) should do the trick.)

After that I went to my (Not the Texans) theory on late rd picks in taking troubled but talented guys like Bars/Turpin late in the draft and McSorley's leadership traits certainly cant be overlooked. Same with Bars.

Somewhere around 18-20.

How have you been?

It's been a long time since we've heard from you.

Steelbtexan, on the Fanspeak Simulator they have the Texans at 15. Not bad but not where I'd like to be personally. If they could get into the Top 10, there could be some potential to make moves while still getting potential targets.

Risner and Cajuste are OT's in college but some sites are saying they may be better utilized as interior linemen in the NFL. Risner is being projected as an OG/OC and Cajuste as an OG. I'm not sure either guy possesses the athleticism or speed to handle OT duties.

I did draft Cajuste in my Mock with the idea of moving him inside.

Solid mock Steel, enjoy the heavy emphasis on OL. I haven't started my scouting for the upcoming draft so I can't give input, but just ask questions really.

Would you say Isiah Johnson has a similar style to say Richard Sherman. Both converted from WR, tall and rangy, with a knack for going for the ball instead of taking the safe play? With RAC liking to play his corners off some, how is he at breaking on the ball? That was the thing I initially liked about KJo he seemed to have great change of direction, and could break on the ball very well unfortunately his lower limb injuries seem to have taken that away from him.

If you didn't take Turpin in rd 5 who else would you be looking at there? I don't think it's a bad pick, I just don't know if they are going to double dip in back to back drafts with a small undersized speedy receiver.

Lastly I noticed there is no C in your mock. Can any of the lineman you drafted play center by chance? I want at least some competition to either push Martin or force him out as I think he has played below all of our expected levels so far.

Solid mock Steel, enjoy the heavy emphasis on OL. I haven't started my scouting for the upcoming draft so I can't give input, but just ask questions really.

Would you say Isiah Johnson has a similar style to say Richard Sherman. Both converted from WR, tall and rangy, with a knack for going for the ball instead of taking the safe play? With RAC liking to play his corners off some, how is he at breaking on the ball? That was the thing I initially liked about KJo he seemed to have great change of direction, and could break on the ball very well unfortunately his lower limb injuries seem to have taken that away from him.

If you didn't take Turpin in rd 5 who else would you be looking at there? I don't think it's a bad pick, I just don't know if they are going to double dip in back to back drafts with a small undersized speedy receiver.

Lastly I noticed there is no C in your mock. Can any of the lineman you drafted play center by chance? I want at least some competition to either push Martin or force him out as I think he has played below all of our expected levels so far.

Isiah Johnson is better in man to man rather than playing zone coverage. But he's got the ability and is still learning on the job. This is typical of a new WR converting to CB, Sherman is actually a pretty good comparison as far as talent and experience.

While I agree with you about them not picking 2 small WR's 2 yrs in a row Turpin is one of the most dynamic KR/PR's in college football. Unlike Trindon Holiday this guy's a football player and has good hands. I hope the Gaine continues the pattern of investing in the ST's and Turpin would be a huge upgrade over Ervin.

There's no C in this mock because I think Matin/Mancz will be better with better talent around them. But Last yr it was thought that C might be Rankin's best position and I think Risner could play C if asked too. I know he would be a really good OG.

Thanks for the reply.

Steelbtexan, on the Fanspeak Simulator they have the Texans at 15. Not bad but not where I'd like to be personally. If they could get into the Top 10, there could be some potential to make moves while still getting potential targets.

Risner and Cajuste are OT's in college but some sites are saying they may be better utilized as interior linemen in the NFL. Risner is being projected as an OG/OC and Cajuste as an OG. I'm not sure either guy possesses the athleticism or speed to handle OT duties.

I did draft Cajuste in my Mock with the idea of moving him inside.

I think Cajuste can be a long term starting LT. He's got the feet for it but needs to clean up some of the technical aspects of his game and of course get stronger. If they are sitting at 15 would you be willing to give up a 1st/2nd/3rd to move up for a guy like Little? I think I would and take the best OT with the other 2nd. Gotta do whatever it takes to protect Watson.

Isiah Johnson is better in man to man rather than playing zone coverage. But he's got the ability and is still learning on the job. This is typical of a new WR converting to CB, Sherman is actually a pretty good comparison as far as talent and experience.

While I agree with you about them not picking 2 small WR's 2 yrs in a row Turpin is one of the most dynamic KR/PR's in college football. Unlike Trindon Holiday this guy's a football player and has good hands. I hope the Gaine continues the pattern of investing in the ST's and Turpin would be a huge upgrade over Ervin.

There's no C in this mock because I think Matin/Mancz will be better with better talent around them. But Last yr it was thought that C might be Rankin's best position and I think Risner could play C if asked too. I know he would be a really good OG.

Thanks for the reply.

If we took Turpin and our line ever gets to a point where we can consistently run 4 wide, and give Watson enough time then I feel really bad for opposing DCs. You have to double Hop, you have to play back because of Fuller's speed but then that allows Coutee or Turpin both who are dynamic in the open field to feast on you. I've only seen a game and a half of TCU this year, Turpin doesn't seem as polished as Coutee was coming out, but if Coutee keeps playing how he does he won't have to be right away. So many different tricks, and gadget plays could be ran.

Also forgot to mention love the Montgomery pick , and would love to have him on this team. I do fear he will start gaining more steam as the year goes on and he will sneak into the early 2nd, late first round discussion

If we took Turpin and our line ever gets to a point where we can consistently run 4 wide, and give Watson enough time then I feel really bad for opposing DCs. You have to double Hop, you have to play back because of Fuller's speed but then that allows Coutee or Turpin both who are dynamic in the open field to feast on you. I've only seen a game and a half of TCU this year, Turpin doesn't seem as polished as Coutee was coming out, but if Coutee keeps playing how he does he won't have to be right away. So many different tricks, and gadget plays could be ran.

Also forgot to mention love the Montgomery pick , and would love to have him on this team. I do fear he will start gaining more steam as the year goes on and he will sneak into the early 2nd, late first round discussion

Yep, and Turpin can be a dynamic KR/PR while he learns how to play WR.

I too love Montgomery, he's a complete RB who would be a huge upgrade. Hopefully his lack of elite speed will make him available like it did with Hunt. BTW, He probably is going to only run a 4.55 but he can also run that with pads on, like Hunt.

As far as moving up goes, usually the guys I like with rd 1-3 draft picks always move up. LOL

Yep, and Turpin can be a dynamic KR/PR while he learns how to play WR.

I too love Montgomery, he's a complete RB who would be a huge upgrade. Hopefully his lack of elite speed will make him available like it did with Hunt. BTW, He probably is going to only run a 4.55 but he can also run that with pads on, like Hunt.

As far as moving up goes, usually the guys I like with rd 1-3 draft picks always move up. LOL

a RBs top speed or 40 time doesn't mean as much to me as how quickly can he get there. So far from what I have seen on Montgomery is that he gets to his top speed quicker than most.

a RBs top speed or 40 time doesn't mean as much to me as how quickly can he get there. So far from what I have seen on Montgomery is that he gets to his top speed quicker than most.

When you get time try to check out some of Risner RT and Cajuste LT.

I think you will see why I'm high on them.

Rd. 1 Dalton Risner OT Kansas St 6'5 300.- One of the most ready OT's in the draft. Is more of a technician in pass pro uses good angles and knows how to wall off DE's from his QB. Strong and dominant in the run game. Once he latches onto you your done. Avg Athlete who compares well to David Bahkitari. Very dedicated to his craft.

Rd.2 Yodany Cajuste- OT West Va. 6'5 310 - Has great feet and is very good feet and good hand placement in pass pro. He's high cut and lacks power in the run game but should be able to gain strength and fix his a tendency of lunging ing the run game. Which is wierd because he has great balance in pass pro and rarely lunges. Reminds me of Donovan Smith.

Rd.2 David Montgomery RB Iowa St. 5'10 220 - Montgomery runs extremely hard, has great quickness and vision. Good at finding holes hand has a terrific jump cut. Good hands in the pass game and while he will probably only run a 4.55 in the 40 he runs that fast in pads. Hard to tackle and is a good GL RB. Needs work in pass pro. Melvin Gordon is my comparison

Rd.3 Kaleb McGary- OT Washington 6-6 320 - Mountain of a man, Toughness uses very sound technique and will blow his man off the ball using his superior length/strength. A RT only due to avg feet but knows how to use his length to keep rushers off of his QB. he has the toughness the Texans OL is currently lacking. Comparison - Morgan Moses

Rd.- 4 Isiah Johnson CB Houston 6'2 195 Houston- Tall rangy CB with good wheels. Former WR. Still learning the position. Solid tackler, can turn and run with WR's but takes too many chances. The athletic bilty is there for Johnson to become a starter someday but he's very raw right now.

Rd.5 KaVonte Turpin- WR/PR/KR TCU 5'9 157 - Turpin is probably the fastest guy in college football and is a very dynamic player with the ball in his hands. Highlight reel waiting to happen. has toughness for such a small guy.

Rd.6 Alex Barr OG Nottre Dame OG 6'6 318- Barr tore his ACL this yr, but was dominating at LG. Tough at point of attack. Moves people. Has played RT/RG. 5th yr Sr, Team Capitan. If he takes a yr off and gets healthy he can definitely be a starter at either of the OG positions. I 1st noticed Barr while whatching Quenton Nelson. Dude is a player in his own right. Comparison- Laken Tomlinson.

Rd.7 Trace McSorley QB Penis St. 6'0 203- McSorley is a playmaker who has mobility and a strong accurate arm. Only downside is he's undersized. A team leader who's calm under pressure and will do whatever it takes to win.

I put some time in this and would really appreciate others thoughts/critiques.

Another CB I really like is Blace Brown from Troy, he's a tall fast rangy playmaker, very smooth and returned a pick for a TD against LSU last yr but he will probably be gone in the rd 2-3 range.

I think protecting Watson is the most important thing that Gaine can do this offseaon and giving him 3 talented OT/OG's and a talented RB like Montgomery (My favorite in the draft) should do the trick.)

After that I went to my (Not the Texans) theory on late rd picks in taking troubled but talented guys like Bars/Turpin late in the draft and McSorley's leadership traits certainly cant be overlooked. Same with Bars.

You addressed the elephant in the room that's for sure with 4 OL . What are you planning for Rankins and are you giving up on the 3 center attack ?

They do need a RB and I'm not counting on KevinJ so a CB would be handy . McSorely is fun to watch and plays like Watson much more than Weeden does .

You addressed the elephant in the room that's for sure with 4 OL . What are you planning for Rankins and are you giving up on the 3 center attack ?

They do need a RB and I'm not counting on KevinJ so a CB would be handy . McSorely is fun to watch and plays like Watson much more than Weeden does .

Desperate times call for desperate measures. I'm good going with Martin/Mancz one more yr at C and fixing the C position in the 2020 draft. But if they suck next yr then it's time to cut their losses and move on from Martin/Mancz. I think they will be so much better next yr.

I'm wanting a young developmental CB in the draft and a vet FA CB to go along with Joseph/Colvin/KJax. Isiah Johnson profiles as a very talented guy who could claim a starting job in the next couple of yrs. He's a really talented guy.

I too think McSorley could be a valuable backup QB.

Last edited:
Will def do some research on these guys. Good early mock Steele.

Penis St. made me laugh way too much!

This is just a starting point for draft research for me. I'm sure between now and the bye week mock that I do some of these players will rise a rd or two.

Thanks for the reply, if you get a chance check some of these guys out so that we can start the draft dialogue.

Well CBS's latest mock agrees with where you think Risner will go in the first round. they have him at #16 to the Vikings. Fortunately for our line and Watson, unfortunately for the 2018 Texans they have us picking #11 and getting Jonah Williams.

Questionable thing about their mock, they have Duke's QB Daniel Jones going #2 to the Giants. I haven't heard anyone speak that highly of him, is this a case of a QB who they think will be a late riser or are they trying to be to cute with their connections? Duke's HC is the same HC Eli played for at Ole Miss and this is their reasoning

Enjoyed your mock SteelB because it was an intro for me to some prospects we might draft in April but I'm confidant that GM Gaine will not use anything like 4 of our picks to draft Olinemen so I'll take your mock as more of a wish list than a serious expectation of what Gaine will do in the 2019 Draft.

Enjoyed your mock SteelB because it was an intro for me to some prospects we might draft in April but I'm confidant that GM Gaine will not use anything like 4 of our picks to draft Olinemen so I'll take your mock as more of a wish list than a serious expectation of what Gaine will do in the 2019 Draft.

This is just a starting point to get some draftniks to look at some different prospects and get the draft discussion going.

Holton Hill is playing very well for the Vikings this year. Sure would be great to have a talented young cb on the roster, removing a need.

Back