Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Steel B's Pre Combine Mock

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Rd. 1 OT, Neal - Alabama
Rd. 2 OT/OG, Georgia- Salyer, If Kinnard isn't there, I've got them as even and want 1 of them in Rd.2

Rd.3 WR Ross, Clemson - Top 15 guy before neck injury, had surgery and pulled hamstring last yr is the only reason he's available here.
Rd.3 Tariq Woolen, UT San Antonio- hope he's there after the Sr Bowl, Combine. Long lanky smooth cover guy who probably run in the 4.3's Only played CB 2 yrs. Converted WR, great ball skills.

Rd.4 Josh Whylie TE, Cincinatti- at 6'6 245, Big fluid mover with speed who can challenge the defense down the seams and is a huge RZ target. Sudden in short area. Good not great blocker but has the frame to put on more muscle and improve in this area. Very talented and has much more room for growth.

Trade Rd. 5 using the Texans 6th and the San Fran 6th.

Rd.5 Robert Beal DE, Georgia- Didn't play alot because of the depth on the DL at Georgia. Caught my eye against Michigan and Alabama in the playoffs. Made plays when he got the chance. Should test great at the combine. Big dude with attitude

Rd.6 Packers pick, Kyle Phillips, UCLA- Slot WR in the Renfrow mold. Shifty with great hands. Good KR/PR too.

Rd.7 Keontay Ingram RB USC- Played at UT before transferring to USC, Played at Carthage High School, 3 down RB who got beat out by Robinson at UT. (No shame in that.0 Gained over 1,000 yds at USC last yr. Good in pass pro and catching the ball ou of the backfield. Very solid RB, somebodies going to get a steal. Hope it's the Texans. Bring him home and reap the rewards.

I'm supplementing Ingram at RB with signing Mack and Signing Jordan Wilkins off of the scrap heap in FA. I want to sign RB Johnson from the Browns, but I think he re-signs with the Browns. Looking to fill the S position in FA.

This mock has 4 of my top 100 players. Fixes the OL and gives a very high end TE prospect. Makes the WR position a strength and gives you 2 guys at Edge/CB Beal and Woolen who are 2 guys with more athletic ability than almost any player at their positions. Just gotta develop them and particularly Woolen should develop quickly. He's a smooth operator. This Mock also gives Mills the OL and skill position players to really help with his development.

Thoughts?

Rd. 1 OT, Neal - Alabama
Rd. 2 OT/OG, Georgia- Salyer, If Kinnard isn't there, I've got them as even and want 1 of them in Rd.2

Rd.3 WR Ross, Clemson - Top 15 guy before neck injury, had surgery and pulled hamstring last yr is the only reason he's available here.
Rd.3 Tariq Woolen, UT San Antonio- hope he's there after the Sr Bowl, Combine. Long lanky smooth cover guy who probably run in the 4.3's Only played CB 2 yrs. Converted WR, great ball skills.

Rd.4 Josh Whylie TE, Cincinatti- at 6'6 245, Big fluid mover with speed who can challenge the defense down the seams and is a huge RZ target. Sudden in short area. Good not great blocker but has the frame to put on more muscle and improve in this area. Very talented and has much more room for growth.

Rd.5 Robert Beal DE, Georgia- Didn't play alot because of the depth on the DL at Georgia. Caught my eye against Michigan and Alabama in the playoffs. Made plays when he got the chance. Should test great at the combine. Big dude with attitude

Rd.6 Packers pick, Kyle Phillips, UCLA- Slot WR in the Renfrow mold. Shifty with great hands. Good KR/PR too.

Rd.7 Keontay Ingram RB USC- Played at UT before transferring to USC, Played at Carthage High School, 3 down RB who got beat out by Robinson at UT. (No shame in that.0 Gained over 1,000 yds at USC last yr. Good in pass pro and catching the ball ou of the backfield. Very solid RB, somebodies going to get a steal. Hope it's the Texans. Bring him home and reap the rewards.

I'm supplementing Ingram at RB with signing Mack and Signing Jordan Wilkins off of the scrap heap in FA. I want to sign RB Johnson from the Browns, but I think he re-signs with the Browns. Looking to fill the S position in FA.

This mock has 4 of my top 100 players. Fixes the OL and gives a very high end TE prospect. Makes the WR position a strength and gives you 2 guys at Edge/CB Beal and Woolen who are 2 guys with more athletic ability than almost any player at their positions. Just gotta develop them and particularly Woolen should develop quickly. He's a smooth operator. This Mock also gives Mills the OL and skill position players to really help with his development.

Thoughts?

I always write down a draft I’d like to have then I try to emulate the draft within a simulator just to see if I can get the draft to fall the way I’m hoping it will. I’m going back on a simulator to see what I’d have to do to get Kinnard and Salyer in the draft. I’ll post it if I get it to happen.

The sim should let you pick Kinnard in rd2 and Salyer in rd3.

I doubt that happens in the real draft. Although it would be great if it did.

I’m betting Kinnard is moving on up to RD1 and Salyer has probably played himself into early RD2…..maybe even a late RD1.

Funny I still see Center as biggest need on the OL unless caserio trades Tunsil?

refreshing to know exactly who is accountable for moves made.

I was really hoping C, Ricky Stromberg (Arkansas) was going to be part of the 2022 NFL Draft. He’s returning for a final Razorback season and won’t be available until 2023.

I think the Texans should bring back Britt…..who along with the Tackles would highly benefit from a couple of stud Guards.

Me, I’d really like to see the Texans select OL, Andrew Stueber (Michigan) and groom him as their next Center unless he’s a solid fit at RT. I think he could play RG or C as well. Might be able to get him in RD5 but he could push himself into RD4.

I’m betting Kinnard is moving on up to RD1 and Salyer has probably played himself into early RD2…..maybe even a late RD1.

I'm hoping one of Kinnard/Salyer falls to 37. I could see somebody picking these guys in the late 1st. I've got them both in my top 40 with Kinnard going late 1st and Salyer early 2nd. In fact I could see the Jags doing what I'm proposing that the Texans do. Drafting Neal 1-1 and Salyer 2-33. That wouldn't be over drafting either. IMHO

Funny I still see Center as biggest need on the OL unless caserio trades Tunsil?

refreshing to know exactly who is accountable for moves made.

There's not a C in this draft that I really like other than Linderbaum. I kinda like Ford and Kramer late, but not alot.

Putting a stud OG or 2 next to Britt would really make Britt look alot better.

There's not a C in this draft that I really like other than Linderbaum. I kinda like Ford and Kramer late, but not alot.

Putting a stud OG or 2 next to Britt would really make Britt look alot better.

honestly, gut feel, Linderbaum might just fall to Texans 2nd rd.slot (because of rehabbing from injury) would you pass on him for Sayler?

Rd. 1 OT, Neal - Alabama

Thoughts?
I like your thought process, but I think Slayer will be there in Rd 3. So I’d look for a different player at the top of the 2nd.

I like your thought process, but I think Slayer will be there in Rd 3. So I’d look for a different player at the top of the 2nd.

Hopefully you're right

I wouldn't take a chance at missing out on a guy who I believe will be a decade long starter.

Okay steelb, I had some time to think about this and I mentioned in an earlier post that I think the Giants are going to be players in the Watson saga if Brian Flores is signed as their HC. I think both Flores and Giants FO will get behind the idea of pursuing Watson now that he’s included them on his 2 team “Drop the NTC” list. If Flores wants him bad enough….Caserio may get a very respectable return.

My Mock with Watson as the only trade piece:

RD1-003: SS- Kyle Hamilton (Notre Dame)
RD1-007: OC- Tyler Linderbaum (Iowa)

RD2-035: OG- Darian Kinnard (Kentucky)
RD2-037: OG- Jamaree Salyer (Georgia)

RD3-067: RB- Breece Hall (Iowa State)
RD3-080: FS- Jalen Pitre (Baylor)
RD3-081: CB- Marcus Jones (Houston)

RD4-130: TE- Jeremy Ruckert (Ohio St)

RD6-183: WR- Samori Toure (Nebraska)
RD6-202: CB- Joshua Williams (Fayetteville State)
RD6-211: LB- Adam Anderson (Georgia)

RD7-246: LB- Troy Andersen (Montana St)

The first 4 rounds and 8 players are strong players who need no additional spills on what they potentially bring to the Texans. I wanted to offer a little insight to the four I selected from RD6 and RD7.

Toure had a big season in 2019 and had a bit of a down year in 2021 after missing the C-19 2020 season. One thing I was really happy to read……6-3 and afterburner being used in the same sentence. He had 87 receptions with 1,495 yards and 13 TD’s in 2019.

Joshua Williams has it all for a small school standout CB. He’s 6-3 at 197 pounds and has exceptional length to go with his fluid feet and hips. Could be a real sleeper if he remains available this late. A strong 40 at his Pro Day could push him up the boards.

Anderson and Andersen are DE and/or OLB tweeners….the one that gets his NFL weight and strength the quickest is probably a DE. Georgia’s Anderson would be the DE and Montana State’s Andersen the heat seeking missile as an OLB. Heck, both could wind up as LB’ers. They’re both nasty players who plan on hitting someone…..and do. They could cut their teeth on ST’s until they make the defensive rotation.

Last edited:
Too much depends on what happens prior to the draft... if Tunsil is not traded and Reid leaves you cannot ignore the secondary and Neal would not be a good value pick at 1.3

You aren't going to fix everything in one offseason.

This offseason for me is about drafting guys that will improve the run game and finding Mills a couple of more weapons to work with. In short, give him his best chance to succeed.

You can draft S outside of the 1st rd. See: Justin Reid. BTW, I'm not against picking Hamilton at #3.

You aren't going to fix everything in one offseason.

This offseason for me is about drafting guys that will improve the run game and finding Mills a couple of more weapons to work with. In short, give him his best chance to succeed.

You can draft S outside of the 1st rd. See: Justin Reid. BTW, I'm not against picking Hamilton at #3.
You can also draft OL outside the first round...

You can also draft OL outside the first round...

It's much easier to find a quality S outside the 1st rd than it is to find quality OL outside of the 1st rd. I'm Ok with drafting Hamilton because I think he's a special game changing player. With that said, A great OL not only helps the QB and offense as a whole function better, but a good OL helps in the run game and keeps the defense fresh and not on the field as much. In short a good OL can help shorten the game and give a team a better chance to win. That's my philosophy on team building.

Fix the OL and give Mills weapons this yr. Then work on the defense next offseason.

Fix the OL and give Mills weapons this yr. Then work on the defense next offseason.
Go with BPA at a position of need is my policy and that is Hamilton. Fix a bit of both sides this year and next. Get the best 53 you can and don't force one side or the other.

Like you said, Hamilton is a special game changing player, and you have to have that with #3 this year

Go with BPA at a position of need is my policy and that is Hamilton. Fix a bit of both sides this year and next. Get the best 53 you can and don't force one side or the other

I'm for this.

I've got Neal rated #1 and Hamilton rated #2.

I'm for this.

I've got Neal rated #1 and Hamilton rated #2.
My only issue with Neal is that it takes even the very best of tackles a few years to acclimate to the NFL. RB and S where a rookie can really make a difference from jump street

My only issue with Neal is that it takes even the very best of tackles a few years to acclimate to the NFL. RB and S where a rookie can really make a difference from jump street

I'm betting with Neal's size and amazing athletic ability for a guy that size the transistion period wont take that long.

It's much easier to find a quality S outside the 1st rd than it is to find quality OL outside of the 1st rd. I'm Ok with drafting Hamilton because I think he's a special game changing player. With that said, A great OL not only helps the QB and offense as a whole function better, but a good OL helps in the run game and keeps the defense fresh and not on the field as much. In short a good OL can help shorten the game and give a team a better chance to win. That's my philosophy on team building.

You realize that the talk about Hamilton isn’t that he’s just good or has a high ceiling…..the word they’re throwing around is “generational” type. I’d be really stoked to finally see the Texans get a generational type of player, no matter the position.

Reactions: JB
Whitworth was a 2nd round pick (55 overall). It will be a steal if Neal lasts to pick 5. Much less 55…
OK, I should have used Orlando Pace. Maybe the best ever and it still took him 3 years to make pro bowl. Neal is no bigger and not as good. Will he make pro bowl in 3 years?

You realize that the talk about Hamilton isn’t that he’s just good or has a high ceiling…..the word they’re throwing around is “generational” type. I’d be really stoked to finally see the Texans get a generational type of player, no matter the position.

I realize that Hamilton will probably be a great player.

I happen to think Neal will become a great players too.
It took Andre Whitworth longer... Neal is no bigger or better

It's much more common to find the Tyron Smith's/Boselli/Pace/Walter Joneses of the world, in the 1st than it is to find a Whitworth in the 2nd.

I see Neal in this light. I also see Hamilton in the Sean Taylor light. You cant really go wrong with either player. I just value a great OL over a great S prospect.

I realize that Hamilton will probably be a great player.

I happen to think Neal will become a great players too.

It's much more common to find the Tyron Smith's/Boselli/Pace/Walter Joneses of the world, in the 1st than it is to find a Whitworth in the 2nd.

I see Neal in this light. I also see Hamilton in the Sean Taylor light. You cant really go wrong with either player. I just value a great OL over a great S prospect.
That's fine... I just see the difference between Hamilton and a second round Safety to be a much larger gap than Neal and a second round OL. Plus Texans need at safety will be much larger

That's fine... I just see the difference between Hamilton and a second round Safety to be a much larger gap than Neal and a second round OL. Plus Texans need at safety will be much larger
Brisker is really good too. Fast and a sure tackler. Reminds me of Bob Sanders. Can cover too and should be there at 37, if you want an athletic S in the 2nd.

OK, I should have used Orlando Pace. Maybe the best ever and it still took him 3 years to make pro bowl. Neal is no bigger and not as good. Will he make pro bowl in 3 years?

Pace missed the first 3 games of his rookie season due to a holdout. Rams were 5-11

He was a pro bowl alternate in his second season. Rams were 4-12

Then came the greatest show on turf and Pace got proper recognition for his hall of fame play. OL frequently get snubbed for awards when on bad teams.

Agreed Neal is not Pace. Pace was a “generational talent” as they call them.

Brisker is really good too. Fast and a sure tackler. Reminds me of Bob Sanders. Can cover too and should be there at 37, if you want an athletic S in the 2nd.
I don't think it'll matter. Caserio will probably trade down so there is no shot at any of our top targets

I don't think it'll matter. Caserio will probably trade down so there is no shot at any of our top targets

I will be very happy if Caserio is able to trade down and get extra picks. I like Green/Gardener/Jermaine Johnson/Cross etc... almost as much as Hamilton/Neal.

Reactions: JB
I'm hoping they build a defense Joe Flacco could win a Super Bowl with

Me too, but this draft should be about putting weapons around Mills so that they will know if he's the QB of the future. So what it takes to give Mills the tools he needs to be successful. Kinda like what the Bengals have done for Burrow.

Thoughts?
Solid overall draft, but I like this pick because it shows true love for Clemson "trash"...LOL, gotcha. But it's an interesting pick as it would be another tall WR as Nico Collins. Do you see that as the type of WR the Texans will target for their typical trait? He had foot surgery I believe, I wonder how that will effect him. Don't have to worry any effect on speed as I don't think he was a burner anyway.

Solid overall draft, but I like this pick because it shows true love for Clemson "trash"...LOL, gotcha. But it's an interesting pick as it would be another tall WR as Nico Collins. Do you see that as the type of WR the Texans will target for their typical trait? He had foot surgery I believe, I wonder how that will effect him. Don't have to worry any effect on speed as I don't think he was a burner anyway.

Before injuries Ross was a better version of Tee Higgins. A top 15 type talent. If he runs well I would take him at the tip of the 3rd. Since he's been injured maybe that will humble him some. If not then you missed out on a 3rd Rd pick. Guy has star level ability though. Another guy from Clemson that I like is CB Goodrich, guy was a backup untill this yr but he's very good in coverage.

With this said, you can't have more than 1 Clemson player on your team at a time, or you're asking for trouble.

Early Mini Mock:

1. Jags - Travon Walker, Edge - because they just tagged LT Cam Robinson
2. Lions - Aidan Hutchinson, Edge - because he's a hometown boy
3. Texans - Evan Neal, OT - because too good to pass up and no Tunsil. (Although I'm a Cross fan)
4. Jets - Kavon Thibodeaux, Edge - because many see as the BPA
5. Giants - Kenny Pickett, QB - Because they did NOT use 5th yr option on Daniel Jones
6. Texans - Devonte Wyatt, DT - because Lovie says his D revolves around the UT.
7. Giants - Kyle Hamilton, S - because it fits both the BPA and position of need
8. Falcons - Malik Willis, QB - because Matt Ryan is 38 yr old and a salary cap killer.
9. Seattle - Matt Corral, QB - because they just traded Russell Wilson and Corral is good WCO fit.
10. Jets - Sauce Gardner, CB - Because Jets are BPA kind of team.

Assuming the Texans trade Tunsil, DO NOT sign Maliek Collins and trade DW4 to Panthers.

Last edited:
Back