Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Steel B's Pre Combine Mock.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Rd.1 Forrest Lamp- Best OL in this draft
Rd.2 Obi Melifonwu- Most gifted S in the draft
Rd.3 Chad Kelly- Most talented/NFL ready QB in this draft, Great Genes, beat Alabama/LSU in same season. He has a temper and an edge, I like my QB's with this edge, the great ones have it. Not a druggie/wife beater.
Rd.4 Alex Anzalone- Really gifted LB in the Clay Matthews mold, can cover.
Rd. 5 Victor Salako- Very underrated OT, big physical guy with good feet, impressed me at East-West Shrine, if you filled Salako/Kelly in this mock it you would get no argument from me.
Rd.6 Taurean Folston- Short stocky RB that runs with power. Stud who tore his ACL 2 yrs ago and looked good in his bounce back yr. Beat out CJ Prosiesse 2 yrs ago.
Rd.7 Blake Jarwin- Talent TE who can catch the ball in traffic and is a good blocker. Griffin mold/replacement.

This mock hits most of the needs with gifted guys. Fills OL/Defense needs and adds the most talented QB in the draft. What more could fans ask for. Thoughts

I would prefer about 8 more offensive linemen, but otherwise I think it's damn near perfect. Does Kelly go inside of 5th round though? I've read that teams are quite wary about him.

I would prefer about 8 more offensive linemen, but otherwise I think it's damn near perfect. Does Kelly go inside of 5th round though? I've read that teams are quite wary about him.

If I were the GM I would take him in rd 1.

He's the best QB in this draft. IMHO

It's a bonus if he fell to rd 3-4.

I heard that he's going to pay his own way to go to the combine for interviews. Too bad the sanctimonious God'ell is trying to hurt this kids career before it ever begins. Good thing is Kelly will be playing with a chip on his shoulder for whatever team drafts him. (Hopefully the Texans)

I heard that he's going to pay his own way to go to the combine for interviews. Too bad the sanctimonious God'ell is trying to hurt this kids career before it ever begins. Good thing is Kelly will be playing with a chip on his shoulder for whatever team drafts him. (Hopefully the Texans)

If we're being honest you've taken supporting the troublemakers almost a crusade against our nice guy approach. Is Kelly being overlooked because of his history? Or is his history pointing him to being a Ryan Leaf (incredible talent with a broken mind) mess? It would certainly be interesting to be a fly on the wall during his interviews.

Reactions: JB
If we're being honest you've taken supporting the troublemakers almost a crusade against our nice guy approach. Is Kelly being overlooked because of his history? Or is his history pointing him to being a Ryan Leaf (incredible talent with a broken mind) mess? It would certainly be interesting to be a fly on the wall during his interviews.

Yep, I don't care about players personal lives, I just want the best players on the team. (I know most disagree with me on this)

Kelly is different in that he has the bloodlines and beat LSU/Alabama in the same season. 2 of the best defenses in college football. The stage isn't to big for him. The only things Kelly has done wrong is 1. Threatened a security guard. (Who hasn't wanted to do that.) 2. Took up for his brother when his brother got cheap shotted. (I actually admire that)

He has the dedication to the game that Leaf didn't have and doesn't have the drug addiction issues. If I'm Buffalo I take Kelly at the top of the 2nd rd.

Where I'm sold is bloodline ... I've said it repeatedly through the years, I LOVE legacies. Injuries have made a mess of things, but otherwise the Longs and Matthews could've anchored an entire franchise. Legacy QB with great talent - I'm in. I'm just reinforcing that you are very biased, and he needs to be properly vetted first - especially if we feel the need to use a 3rd round pick.

The only things Kelly has done wrong is 1. Threatened a security guard. (Who hasn't wanted to do that.) 2. Took up for his brother when his brother got cheap shotted. (I actually admire that)

... and got booted from Clemson before all of that.

I thought the security guard thing was the thing that got him booted from Clemson.

I may be getting all of his incidents mixed up here.

He was booted from Clemson for myriad reasons. Then he got into the nightclub thing as he was enrolling at Miss. Then he got into it at his brother's hs game while enrolled at Miss.

Isn't that pretty much the sum of it all?

As much as I like Kelly's talent, I shudder at the idea of taking him that early. Even though I do advocate drafting him (late, like in the 5th, 6th, or 7th), I think he flames out. But that late in the draft, it is worth the risk.

I am not a fan of the safety. I see the tools, but I always worry about these toolsy guys that shoot up the draft boards during draft season.

Other than those 2 things, looks good to me.

I may be getting all of his incidents mixed up here.

He was booted from Clemson for myriad reasons. Then he got into the nightclub thing as he was enrolling at Miss. Then he got into it at his brother's hs game while enrolled at Miss.

Isn't that pretty much the sum of it all?

I thought he had the nightclub incident while on break while he was still at Clemson. Then had the incident with his brother while waiting to be enrolled at Ole Miss.

One thing is for sure these incidents never affected his play. You have to admit the Texans have never had a QB prospect as good as Kelly and that includes HWNSNBM.

The Texans need to change their philosophy on guys like Kelly if they put winning 1st.

I like Kelly's talent and at one time thought he was the next Favre but he's different . After not getting an invite to the combine it was rumored he was going anyway . Is that determination or on crack ?

I thought he had the nightclub incident while on break while he was still at Clemson. Then had the incident with his brother while waiting to be enrolled at Ole Miss.

One thing is for sure these incidents never affected his play. You have to admit the Texans have never had a QB prospect as good as Kelly and that includes HWNSNBM.

The Texans need to change their philosophy on guys like Kelly if they put winning 1st.

Nah, seems he'd been told to get the f outta Clemson (4/14/14)..

QB Chad Kelly kicked off Clemson football team for 'detrimental conduct'

.. then he decided to get all AK47-y after signing with Miss (12/21/14)..

Ole Miss signee Chad Kelly arrested after alleged nightclub brawl, gun threats

.. then got involved in the hs game drama (10/7/16)..

Chad Kelly Involved in Brawl During Brother's High School Football Game

Ultimately I'm with rm65 here, I like the talent a good deal but don't like risking a valuable pick on what's supposed to be a team leader who can't control his emotions. A late rnd pick maybe, if all other options for the position haven't turned up any prospects.

I like Kelly's talent and at one time thought he was the next Favre but he's different . After not getting an invite to the combine it was rumored he was going anyway . Is that determination or on crack ?

Just because you show up... doesn't mean they have to let you in. Most likely, they won't let him in.

If he weren't so brash, maybe he'd have got an invite to throw... like Tj Yates did.

As much as I like Kelly's talent, I shudder at the idea of taking him that early. Even though I do advocate drafting him (late, like in the 5th, 6th, or 7th), I think he flames out. But that late in the draft, it is worth the risk.

I am not a fan of the safety. I see the tools, but I always worry about these toolsy guys that shoot up the draft boards during draft season.

Other than those 2 things, looks good to me.

I was high on Melifonwu but the more Scouting reports I read and the film I watched, he he isn't an instinctual ball hawk. I like Desmond King, Marcus Williams, John Johnson, and Buddah Baker (if you believe he can put on some more weight) as much if not more than Melifonwu and I think they will be cheaper. Desmond King I especially like, he is kind of the polar opposite of Melifonwu in that he has limited measurables but off the charts instincts and ball skills. He is a damn good ball player and the classic over achiever.

Just because you show up... doesn't mean they have to let you in. Most likely, they won't let him in.

If he weren't so brash, maybe he'd have got an invite to throw... like Tj Yates did.

I think he was uninvited specifically because of the off the field arrest stuff, so it wasn't a matter of lack of talent it was the new policy instituted. Now to throw the hand grenade, if personal lives don't matter shouldn't Joe Mixon be an attractable option?

The incident at his brother's high school happened this past year during Ole Miss' bye week. A 22 year old adult charging the field trying to fight 16 and 17 year old's...The guy is talented but he's also a moron.

Per Rotoworld:

Bill Polian of ESPN reports that Ole Miss QB Chad Kelly (ACL) was invited to the NFL Scouting Combine before the league office reversed course and rescinded his invite.
Polian reports that Kelly's family isn’t sure why his invitation was rescinded. The reason has to do with the NFL's new rule to not invite players who've been convicted of a violent crime. Two years ago, Kelly pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct after being accused of punching two people, threatening to shoot up a bar and resisting arrest. Kelly was dismissed from Clemson prior to that for "conduct detrimental to the team." This past fall, he charged the field and was involved in a benches-clearing brawl at his younger brother's high school football game. Kelly is likely in for a fall into the deep part of Day 3. Feb 15 - 2:58 PM
Source: NBC's Pro Football Talk

Van McAllister, one of Ole Miss' Chad Kelly's agents, says his client will travel to the NFL Combine unless the NFL explains why he wasn't invited.
"Until we get a written disinvite or whatever you want to call if from the league, we’ll be in Indy," McAllister said. "We’ll show up and they’ll have to tell Chad ‘no’ then because they’re obviously not willing to put it in writing to tell Chad ‘no’ now." Kelly was invited and then dis-invited to the Combine. While no explanation was given, it's believed that the NFL rescinded Kelly's invite because he pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct in 2015 following a fight with two nightclub bouncers. With Kelly coming off ACL surgery, none of this is good news for his Draft stock. MMQB's Emily Kaplan says he's "at best ... a late-round flier," an opinion we agree with. Feb 22 - 6:44 PM
Source: MMQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The incident at his brother's high school happened this past year during Ole Miss' bye week. A 22 year old adult charging the field trying to fight 16 and 17 year old's...The guy is talented but he's also a moron.

Taking up for your brother

Yep, a real moron, lets stone him

Nah, seems he'd been told to get the f outta Clemson (4/14/14)..

QB Chad Kelly kicked off Clemson football team for 'detrimental conduct'

.. then he decided to get all AK47-y after signing with Miss (12/21/14)..

Ole Miss signee Chad Kelly arrested after alleged nightclub brawl, gun threats

.. then got involved in the hs game drama (10/7/16)..

Chad Kelly Involved in Brawl During Brother's High School Football Game

Ultimately I'm with rm65 here, I like the talent a good deal but don't like risking a valuable pick on what's supposed to be a team leader who can't control his emotions. A late rnd pick maybe, if all other options for the position haven't turned up any prospects.

A 3rd/4th rd pick isn't as valuable as you think it is.

I mean lord what would the Texans do without Tyler Earvin.

He seemed in control of his emotions as he was beating Alabama/LSU.

Day 3 seems like a great value for the most talented QB in the draft.

Taking up for your brother

Yep, a real moron, lets stone him

That's not 'taking up for your brother'. That's a 22 year old who you are advocating to be a leader of men in a billion dollar enterprise - being stupid and irrational and wanting to kick ass at a highschool game.

A grown man storming onto a high school field... is not a good thing.

I know you like to overlook all kinds of character concerns, but the fact is, they matter. Players with character concerns are less likely to be on the field, due to suspensions from either behavior or drug use.

That's not 'taking up for your brother'. That's a 22 year old who you are advocating to be a leader of men in a billion dollar enterprise - being stupid and irrational and wanting to kick ass at a highschool game.

What would be taking up for your brother? IYO

You can take up for your brother without fist fighting minors. Stop being so obtuse. You're better than that.

This kid has a long history of idiotic achievements off the field.

Not being obtuse, I just think Kelly's a 22 yr old acting like a 22 yr old. No big deal. Obviously you feel differently. Another thing is for sure, the Texans way they go about drafting players isn't working.

Yep, having an attitude about being beaten out by Watson when you think you're the better player and,

2 things = long list

6%

Last edited:
Yep, having an attitude about being beaten out by Watson when you think you're the better player and,

2 things = long list

It's more than 2 things

Just off the top of my head

1) Kicked off the Clemson team- I don't care if you really are better, you dont act in a way detrimental to your team. You suck it up for a year, then transfer. Tons of kids do it.

2) The HS football game issue

3) The club/AK47 issue

4) The drug photo

Thats 4, with no digging around. And to go along with it, he is coming off of a torn ACL. That's not a character issue, but it is another something that bears concern.

Nobody (I think) is saying that he is an undrafteable QB. What is being said is that he is simply to big a risk to be taken before the latter part of the draft.

It's more than 2 things

Just off the top of my head

1) Kicked off the Clemson team- I don't care if you really are better, you dont act in a way detrimental to your team. You suck it up for a year, then transfer. Tons of kids do it.

2) The HS football game issue

3) The club/AK47 issue

4) The drug photo

Thats 4, with no digging around. And to go along with it, he is coming off of a torn ACL. That's not a character issue, but it is another something that bears concern.

Nobody (I think) is saying that he is an undrafteable QB. What is being said is that he is simply to big a risk to be taken before the latter part of the draft.

What do you consider latter part? I would think 3rd/4th would be about right for a QB needy team like the 49ers/Bills/Browns etc... The perfect place for Kelly to go would be the Cards.

What do you consider latter part? I would think 3rd/4th would be about right for a QB needy team like the 49ers/Bills/Browns etc... The perfect place for Kelly to go would be the Cards.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-qb-chad-kelly-in-midst-of-possible-drug-use/

It is certainly not proof that he was using drugs, or if those even are drugs on the table... but for a kid with all the red flags... I would hope that he would be a little smarter about who he hangs out with/what photos he is in that get put on the internet.

And let's not even get into the "Swag" Kelly thing.

If one of those teams take Kelly that early, more power to them. I think he certainly has the potential to be a top 15 QB in the league, but there are just too many red flags for me to feel comfortable taking him early.

EDIT: I forgot to answer your question. I consider the latter part of the draft to be rounds 5-7.

You can hope this combine thing has been a humbling experience for him. Question who's red flags are worse Mixon's or Kelly's?

You can hope this combine thing has been a humbling experience for him. Question who's red flags are worse Mixon's or Kelly's?

Kelly's

I'm one that is able to forgive kids like Mixon for a mistake. They're kids.

He was most likely posturing... beating his chest... being an Alpha.

Didn't mean what the media & most folks are making it out to be.

Not being obtuse, I just think Kelly's a 22 yr old acting like a 22 yr old. No big deal. Obviously you feel differently. Another thing is for sure, the Texans way they go about drafting players isn't working.

2 things = long list

6%

more like a 22 yr old acting like a 17 yr old

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-qb-chad-kelly-in-midst-of-possible-drug-use/

It is certainly not proof that he was using drugs, or if those even are drugs on the table... but for a kid with all the red flags... I would hope that he would be a little smarter about who he hangs out with/what photos he is in that get put on the internet.

And let's not even get into the "Swag" Kelly thing.

If one of those teams take Kelly that early, more power to them. I think he certainly has the potential to be a top 15 QB in the league, but there are just too many red flags for me to feel comfortable taking him early.

EDIT: I forgot to answer your question. I consider the latter part of the draft to be rounds 5-7.

Take it from me, those are mango's on the table. I ain't blind and I know mango's

I wouldn't take Kelly in the 3rd (headcase). Not sure if/when I'd take Kelly. The threatening to shoot up a place goes over the line for me. The rest of the draft I love.

Back