Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Steel B's Post Sr. Bowl Draft

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
1-2. Will Anderson- DE- Alabama, Difference making Edge, 10 yr starter, true difference maker.

1-12. Cody Mauch, C/OG- North Dakota St., tough yet nimble 10 yr starter and future leader of the OL.

2-33 Kashon Boutte WR- LSU, Difference making WR, unreal talent, but a bit of a head case. I'm betting on the talent. Betting on LSU WR's is a good bet. IMHO

2-46, Mazi Smith DT- Michigan, big athletic run stuffer, Trading Cooks and pick 3- 73. Putting Smith and Anderson on the same DL is building a great foundation for the future. Even next yr a DL of Hughes/Collins/Smith/Anderson is a really good DL.

3-64. Daylan Henley LB - Washington St. A very instinctive LB that is good at covering TE's and RB's.

4-103 B.J. Thompson DE- SFA, this guy is a yr away in a weight room from being a full time starter. In the mean time he can make a difference as a situational pass rusher. His best yrs are ahead of him.

Rd.5 Will Mallory TE- Miami, I didn't know much about him until the Sr. Bowl, but watched him closely, he is a very good blocker and catches the ball very well, good speed. He's got an injury history, but the talent isdefinitely there. If I had to use one of the 6th's to trade up and get him I would in a heartbeat.

Rd.6 Eric Gray RB- Oklahoma, Solid all around tough RB with good hands and is good in pass pro. Hopefully he's around in the 6th. I would use two 6ths to trade up into the 5th if needed to get him.

Rd.6 Daniel Scott Safety- Cal, Seems to be good in coverage and a smart player. Good tackling in college. I feel the same way in this draft as I did Reid Blankenship in last yrs draft. Smart heady playmaker.

Rd.6 Alex Forsythe Center- Oregon, Warrior mentality, was the best center in the Pac 12 last yr. Has had injury problems in the past, but has been great when healthy. He can stand up big NT's and turn them by using his quickness. If he can stay healthy he's a 10 yr starter and a perfect fit for Ryans ZBS. Health remains a question mark but Forsythe is well worth taking a gamble at this point in the draft.

Thoughts?

This is what I would draft if I was in Caserio's shoes. I would also bring in Jimmy G in FA, (If not Jimmy G, then Minshew) along with Bills Edmunds to complete the LB corps. Harris/Edmunds/Henley would be a huge upgrade over what they had at LB last yr. I would also sign Jimmy Ward to a 3 yr deal. He knows Ryans defense and would be a perfect fit next to Petrie. The team would be built out and ready for a franchise QB in 2024.

What do I think Cal and company are going to do? Draft Bryce Young and their draft will look nothing like my mock draft. LOL

Last edited:
I would also bring in Jimmy G in FA, (If not Jimmy G, then Minshew) along with Bills Edmunds to complete the LB corps. Harris/Edmunds/Henley would be a huge upgrade over what they had at LB last yr. I would also sign Jimmy Ward to a 3 yr deal. He knows Ryans defense and would be a perfect fit next to Petrie. The team would be built out and ready for a franchise QB in 2024.

Jimmy G would win enough games to place us out of Caleb & Maye

I'd rather ride out Culley Mills than hire Lovie Jimmy
It'd cost us the top pick once more

Last edited:
We would probably have to trade a king’s ransom to get into the top 5. I don’t think Ryans would want to tank.

Jimmy G would win enough games to place us out of Caleb & Maye

I'd rather ride out Culley Mills than hire Lovie Jimmy
It'd cost us the top pick once more

How many games do you think they would win with this draft and Fa offseason with Jimmy G? Do you think Jimmy G can stay healthy all yr? You've got to put that in the equation. There are 5 QB's that I like in next yrs draft. 3 that I really like and 2 that have alot of potential.

Tier 1

Williams
Maye
McCarthy

Tier 2

Penix
Nix
Ewers
Will Rodgers

We would probably have to trade a king’s ransom to get into the top 5. I don’t think Ryans would want to tank.
We would have 2 firsts in 24 to offer and that is always an attractive incentive, plus we could add a 2025 first. That's plenty of firepower right there. It might not buy you the first pick, but could possibly get you the second - depending on where you finish.

Say they finish with pick number 10 and win 6 or 7 games, How much would it cost to move up into the 5th spot in the draft? The Texans pick/Browns pick and a 2025 2nd?

We would have 2 firsts in 24 to offer and that is always an attractive incentive, plus we could add a 2025 first. That's plenty of firepower right there. It might not buy you the first pick, but could possibly get you the second - depending on where you finish.
2ND/3RD/4TH Pick in the draft and there's going to be 3-4 really good QB's in the 2024 draft. So yes they've got the capital to get a franchise QB in the better 2024 class.

How many games do you think they would win with this draft and Fa offseason with Jimmy G? Do you think Jimmy G can stay healthy all yr? You've got to put that in the equation. There are 5 QB's that I like in next yrs draft. 3 that I really like and 2 that have alot of potential.

Tier 1

Williams
Maye
McCarthy

Tier 2

Penix
Nix
Ewers
Will Rodgers

You lost me at McCarthy

Jimmy will win us 2 more games than Mills IMO

You lost me at McCarthy

Jimmy will win us 2 more games than Mills IMO

So 5, that puts the team in the top 7-9 picks.

Did you see McCarthy play this yr? He was very good. He's got the skillset Ryans was talking about wanting his QB to have.

So 5, that puts the team in the top 7-9 picks.

Did you see McCarthy play this yr? He was very good. He's got the skillset Ryans was talking about wanting his QB to have.

i wouldn;t put him in the same class as Caleb and Maye

edited: and being out of the top 2 picks next year would brutalize our chances at the best qbs...no team in that position would give up their spot (unless its a Ditka/Ricky proposition...and even then)

1-2. Will Anderson- DE- Alabama, Difference making Edge, 10 yr starter, true difference maker.

1-12. Cody Mauch, C/OG- North Dakota St., tough yet nimble 10 yr starter and future leader of the OL.

2-33 Kashon Boutte WR- LSU, Difference making WR, unreal talent, but a bit of a head case. I'm betting on the talent. Betting on LSU WR's is a good bet. IMHO

2-46, Mazi Smith DT- Michigan, big athletic run stuffer, Trading Cooks and pick 3- 73. Putting Smith and Anderson on the same DL is building a great foundation for the future. Even next yr a DL of Hughes/Collins/Smith/Anderson is a really good DL.

3-64. Daylan Henley LB - Washington St. A very instinctive LB that is good at covering TE's and RB's.

4-103 B.J. Thompson DE- SFA, this guy is a yr away in a weight room from being a full time starter. In the mean time he can make a difference as a situational pass rusher. His best yrs are ahead of him.

Rd.5 Will Mallory TE- Miami, I didn't know much about him until the Sr. Bowl, but watched him closely, he is a very good blocker and catches the ball very well, good speed. He's got an injury history, but the talent definitely there. If I had to use one of the 6th's to trade up and get him I would in a heartbeat.

Rd.6 Eric Gray RB- Oklahoma, Solid all around tough RB with good hands and is good in pass pro. Hopefully he's around in the 6th. I would use two 6ths to trade up into the 5th if needed to get him.

Rd.6 Daniel Scott Safety- Cal, Seems to be good in coverage and a smart player. Good tackling in college. I feel the same way in this draft as I did Reid Blankenship in last yrs draft. Smart heady playmaker.

Rd.6 Alex Forsythe Center- Oregon, Warrior mentality, was the best center in the Pac 12 last yr. Has had injury problems in the past, but has been great when healthy. He can stand up big NT's and turn them by using his quickness. If he can stay healthy he's a 10 yr starter and a perfect fit for Ryans ZBS. Health remains a question mark but Forsythe is well worth taking a gamble at this point in the draft.

Thoughts?

This is what I would draft if I was in Caserio's shoes. I would also bring in Jimmy G in FA, (If not Jimmy G, then Minshew) along with Bills Edmunds to complete the LB corps. Harris/Edmunds/Henley would be a huge upgrade over what they had at LB last yr. I would also sign Jimmy Ward to a 3 yr deal. He knows Ryans defense and would be a perfect fit next to Petrie. The team would be built out and ready for a franchise QB in 2024.

What do I think Cal and company are going to do? Draft Bryce Young and their draft will look nothing like my mock draft. LOL
The first 5 are solid picks.
Kashon kinda worries me but I think Ryan's will be good for him. Gray also looks good.
Don't know much about the lower guys but a second C is an interesting idea - he might be able to cycle in at G or even C in case of injuries.

The first 5 are solid picks.
Kashon kinda worries me but I think Ryan's will be good for him. Gray also looks good.
Don't know much about the lower guys but a second C is an interesting idea - he might be able to cycle in at G or even C in case of injuries.

Yep, use Forsythe as a backup IOl and this will keep him healthy.

If Green or Cann go down Mauch can definitely play a really good OG.

Drafting Forsythe creates true competition amongst the IOL guys and that's a good thing. No more McCray type guys.

i root for Ewers but nothing on tape shows him as a superior prospect than Stroud
He's played very little and left high school very early. But He's got NFL level talent. He's just gotta get some experience. Next yr is a big yr in Ewers development.

Tier 1

Williams
Maye
McCarthy

Tier 2

Penix
Nix
Ewers
Will Rodgers
I’m concerned about Jimmy G’s ability to stay healthy. I’d rather see Minshew
I’m really intrigued by Penix and will be closely following him this year.
I’m impressed with Williams but question his maturity level with the Utah painted finger incident.
Ewers looked great in a couple of games but really stunk in several- maybe needs to shed the mullet..
Not to keen on Nix..
man I’m ready for this year already…

1-12 Cody is a huge reach, we can get the Notre Dame center in the 3rd

My rankings are different than the draft pundits.

I'm looking for 10 yr starters. Mauch/Anderson are those guys and there's value in that. Marpet went to the Bucs in the 2nd and I wanted the Texans to pick him in the 1st and Marpet turned into a pro bowl level guy. If the Texans had picked Marpet at 1-12 would he be a reach because he fell to the 2nd?

I'm about getting 5/6 guys I really like and if I have to pick them higher than most I'm good with that. This is also why I'm for trading up to get a guy like Mazi Smith, he's going to go somewhere around 2-50 and I'm trading 3-73 or even 3-64 and 4-103 to get Smith because he's my guy, a huge guy who's a great athlete. He's worth it. IMHO

Good athlete, with a good arm, throws with accuracy/anticipation, runs at a last resort. But he's got really good speed and will run if it's their.

BTW, I forgot to put Payne Durham on the list, he was really impressive at the Sr. Bowl 6'4 258 and has a knack for finging holes in the defense. Remind you of any TE's down on Kirby?

Josh Whylie weighed in at 6'6 1/2 260 and he was on my list last yr but kinda fell off this yr.

Good athlete, with a good arm, throws with accuracy/anticipation, runs at a last resort. But he's got really good speed and will run if it's their.

BTW, I forgot to put Payne Durham on the list, he was really impressive at the Sr. Bowl 6'4 258 and has a knack for finging holes in the defense. Remind you of any TE's down on Kirby?

Josh Whylie weighed in at 6'6 1/2 260 and he was on my list last yr but kinda fell off this yr.
You don't have any questions about Maye pocket presence? Again, I like Maye, but I don't think he's a better prospect than Stroud or Young honestly. I mean, what happened to Ewers? Do you still feel like he's better or is that just your defiance?

You don't have any questions about Maye pocket presence? Again, I like Maye, but I don't think he's a better prospect than Stroud or Young honestly. I mean, what happened to Ewers? Do you still feel like he's better or is that just your defiance?
Defiance? LOL

I love Maye as a prospect, he did more with less than just about any QB in the country and his light still shined so bright that he would be picked befiore any QB in this draft if he was draft eligible.

Defiance? LOL

I love Maye as a prospect, he did more with less than just about any QB in the country and his light still shined so bright that he would be picked befiore any QB in this draft if he was draft eligible.
So you say. Again, I don't have to knock down a prospect to prop one up. Maye might turn out to be a great nfl qb or he might turn out to be a bum. They said Trubisky did more with less and that's why he was drafted in front of Watson and Mahomes.

So you say. Again, I don't have to knock down a prospect to prop one up. Maye might turn out to be a great nfl qb or he might turn out to be a bum. They said Trubisky did more with less and that's why he was drafted in front of Watson and Mahomes.
Who said that?

I’m concerned about Jimmy G’s ability to stay healthy. I’d rather see Minshew
I’m really intrigued by Penix and will be closely following him this year.
I’m impressed with Williams but question his maturity level with the Utah painted finger incident.
Ewers looked great in a couple of games but really stunk in several- maybe needs to shed the mullet..
Not to keen on Nix..
man I’m ready for this year already…
Nix showed a huge improvement to his game. He's always had a whip of an arm, but at Auburn, he ran around soo much it made me tired watching him. He's not the biggest guy, but he's quick,mobile, and has moxie. He played very well this year.

Nix showed a huge improvement to his game. He's always had a whip of an arm, but at Auburn, he ran around soo much it made me tired watching him. He's not the biggest guy, but he's quick,mobile, and has moxie. He played very well this year.

I like him a lot.

He's got the size/Mobility/Arm to become a very good QB. Wise choice to transfer out of Auburn.

Yeah, his intangibles are off the chains and even though Siriani was fired by Reid, he took a page out of Reid playbook and designed the offense around his strengths.

He's running an older version of the McNabb playbook, but Hurts has a better work ethic and intangibles than McNabb ever did. Hurts parents a former Channelview HC Aveion and his mother (Dont know her name) must be beaming with pride as parents.

Back