Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Steel B's Post Season Mock

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
1. Ryan Ramczyk, Wiscosin, OT, 6'5 314, I really like Bolles more but he will be gone. Ramczyk is a mobile big guy that plays with a mean streak. Only reason he falls this far is due to not being able to workout for teams due to hip surgery.

2. Pat Mahomes Tx Tech, QB, 6'2 229, Mahomes reminds me of a less polished Wilson. Alex Smith with a better arm. Great athlete with a huge arm and great accuracy. Needs to work on footwork but could get away with it in college. The main reason he falls is hehas never taken a snap under center, or called a play. Much less called it from a huddle. Mahomes is more talented than Goff and being from a family where his did was a professional pitcher the pressure of the NFL wont be too much for him.

3. Taylor Moton West Michigan OT/OG 6'5 320, Big guy with great toughness, Best position is OG. Moton has great feet for an OG and Avg feet for a RT. Strong as a bull, move DL in the run game. Ramczyk/Moton add toughness to an OL that badly needs it.

4. Alvin Kumara Tennessee RB 5'10 215, All around RB, great speed, hands out of backfield. Natural runner, can KR/PR. Kumara doesn't have a lot of miles on his body. Reminds me of Lamar Miller.

5. Ahkello Witherspoon Colorado CB 6'2 195, Witherspoon is a long lanky CB that can run. Has ability to stick with outside WR's one on one using his length and long arms to break up passes.

6. Arthur Maulet Memphis CB 5'11 190, Malet is very underrated. tough guy who is a perfect nickle CB. Very competitive with great cover skills. Maulet would be a Rd1-2 pick if he was bigger. Great value.

7. Jalen Maybin Reeves Tennesse LB 6'0 230, Here's the cover LB everbody is looking for. Played CB/S/RB in high school. Very fluid with a great 1st step. Reeves is also adept as a blitzer. Athletic and has a good feel for the game which helps him make up for being undersized. Only reason he falls this far is missing most of Sr. yr due to injury. (Shoulder) Should be a great ST's guy.

I know CND will beat up this mock due to injury. LOL

I would really appreciate thoughts on this mock. I'm sure some wont like it, but atleast this yr I didn't add a guy like Mixon who McNair would never let be drafted by the Texans.

Dig the first four. Not sure enough about 5 & 6. Love 7.

Really like Ramczyk, especially considering how dried up the talent seems to get around our spot.

Think Mahomes is really intriguing. Only watched a couple of his games but he made some lights out throws. Just curious how long it takes for him to get up to pro style speed.

Haven't watched much Moton at all, but hear overall good things.

Kamara runs like a poor man's Dalvin Cook. Good center, pad level, burst. Good receiver.

Really like Reeves-Maybin in the few games I've seen. Actually like him enough that I'm not sure he'll be there that late. Would be ecstatic if we could pull that off then. High energy, smooth in movement, sideline to sideline and backfield to backfield.

Good stuff, steelb..

1. Ryan Ramczyk, Wiscosin, OT, 6'5 314, I really like Bolles more but he will be gone. Ramczyk is a mobile big guy that plays with a mean streak. Only reason he falls this far is due to not being able to workout for teams due to hip surgery.

2. Pat Mahomes Tx Tech, QB, 6'2 229, Mahomes reminds me of a less polished Wilson. Alex Smith with a better arm. Great athlete with a huge arm and great accuracy. Needs to work on footwork but could get away with it in college. The main reason he falls is hehas never taken a snap under center, or called a play. Much less called it from a huddle. Mahomes is more talented than Goff and being from a family where his did was a professional pitcher the pressure of the NFL wont be too much for him.

3. Taylor Moton West Michigan OT/OG 6'5 320, Big guy with great toughness, Best position is OG. Moton has great feet for an OG and Avg feet for a RT. Strong as a bull, move DL in the run game. Ramczyk/Moton add toughness to an OL that badly needs it.

4. Alvin Kumara Tennessee RB 5'10 215, All around RB, great speed, hands out of backfield. Natural runner, can KR/PR. Kumara doesn't have a lot of miles on his body. Reminds me of Lamar Miller.

5. Ahkello Witherspoon Colorado CB 6'2 195, Witherspoon is a long lanky CB that can run. Has ability to stick with outside WR's one on one using his length and long arms to break up passes.

6. Arthur Maulet Memphis CB 5'11 190, Malet is very underrated. tough guy who is a perfect nickle CB. Very competitive with great cover skills. Maulet would be a Rd1-2 pick if he was bigger. Great value.

7. Jalen Maybin Reeves Tennesse LB 6'0 230, Here's the cover LB everbody is looking for. Played CB/S/RB in high school. Very fluid with a great 1st step. Reeves is also adept as a blitzer. Athletic and has a good feel for the game which helps him make up for being undersized. Only reason he falls this far is missing most of Sr. yr due to injury. (Shoulder) Should be a great ST's guy.

I would really appreciate thoughts on this mock. I'm sure some wont like it, but atleast this yr I didn't add a guy like Mixon who McNair would never let be drafted by the Texans.
Prolly the best way to go.
Ramcyzk may be off the board so Garrett Bolles would be decent too.
I would take back one CB and add an ILB or OLB.
Kamara intrigues me too - could be a bona fide Foster replacement - maybe not as good as Arian, but can do most of what he does.
Great mock.

Like the first three a lot , even like Kumara a bunch . Don't know much about the CBs but see the need for DB depth . I might look at a NG to for depth if Wilfork leaves .

Prolly the best way to go.
Ramcyzk may be off the board so Garrett Bolles would be decent too.
I would take back one CB and add an ILB or OLB.
Kamara intrigues me too - could be a bona fide Foster replacement - maybe not as good as Arian, but can do most of what he does.
Great mock.

The reason I chose 2 CB's is 1. I want to move Jackson to safety/slot CB. 2. Talent, I just try to project the most talented players, especially later on in the draft. Witherspoon is really gifted and Smith would be really lucky if he's there. In a less talented CB draft he would be a 2nd rd pick. IMHO

The reason I chose 2 CB's is 1. I want to move Jackson to safety/slot CB. 2. Talent, I just try to project the most talented players, especially later on in the draft. Witherspoon is really gifted and Smith would be really lucky if he's there. In a less talented CB draft he would be a 2nd rd pick. IMHO
Fair enough.
I forgot to mention Pat Mahomes - this guy intrigues me also. Yes he needs some work but he can hold the clipboard for a year or so.
I would be very happy if we pick him up.

Fair enough.
I forgot to mention Pat Mahomes - this guy intrigues me also. Yes he needs some work but he can hold the clipboard for a year or so.
I would be very happy if we pick him up.

The most talented QB in this draft.

Too bad he played in the Leach offense.

Sorry been busy with things but on the surface really looks well though out solid work!

Would recommend taking Mahomes in first if you feel he is, "the most talented QB in this draft". Heard on 610 today that Bill wanted Derek Carr but was nixed by consensus, lol.

Know your a big OL guy so I'm all for Ram. My guess is he is starting RT until Brown retires?

Anyway creates great discussion, good job man :wesmantexanfan:

Sorry been busy with things but on the surface really looks well though out solid work!

Would recommend taking Mahomes in first if you feel he is, "the most talented QB in this draft". Heard on 610 today that Bill wanted Derek Carr but was nixed by consensus, lol.

Know your a big OL guy so I'm all for Ram. My guess is he is starting RT until Brown retires?

Anyway creates great discussion, good job man :wesmantexanfan:

The way things look now Mahomes may be gone by our pick in the 1st round. They may have to move up to take him. WalterFootball's latest mock has Mahomes going #10 to the Bills! As crazy as that may sound it could happen since this is a weak class of QB's. Probably only 3 or 4 worth taking and those are developmental. No Luck's or Manning's in this class. It could turn out like the class that had Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder all go in the 1st round. It's not a good time to go QB hunting and IMO only Trubisky and Mahomes my be worth a shot and both will likely be gone when the Texans are on the board. But who knows at this point. A lot can change between now and draft time.

4. Alvin Kumara Tennessee RB 5'10 215, All around RB, great speed, hands out of backfield. Natural runner, can KR/PR. Kumara doesn't have a lot of miles on his body. Reminds me of Lamar Miller. I expect him to be a climber during the pre-draft process.

1. Agree that Ramczyk could fall because of surgery and that's really the only way we get a shot at one of the top OT's. Can't hate the pick. This is a huge need for us.

2. Mahomes has a ton of potential but is really just a ball of clay. Pure developmental guy who's future will depend almost entirely on who develops him.

3. Moton definitely a better fit at OG. Could be who we thought we were getting with Jeff Allen. He's a project though IMO.

4. Really like Kamara. Very explosive and versatile. Think he might be the most underrated RB in a phenomenal RB class.

5. Witherspoon is pretty much the prototype for the lanky CB that all the draftniks fall head over heels for every year. Not sure why he's going so under the radar.

6. Maulet had a great year this year but that was after being one of the worst CB's in the country last year. If he had more consistent tape he would be graded higher but it's either really good or really bad.

7. Reeves-Maybin has a great skill set but appears utterly incapable of staying healthy. Regardless, I heard he will be applying for a 6th year instead of going into draft.

1. Agree that Ramczyk could fall because of surgery and that's really the only way we get a shot at one of the top OT's. Can't hate the pick. This is a huge need for us.

2. Mahomes has a ton of potential but is really just a ball of clay. Pure developmental guy who's future will depend almost entirely on who develops him.

3. Moton definitely a better fit at OG. Could be who we thought we were getting with Jeff Allen. He's a project though IMO.

4. Really like Kamara. Very explosive and versatile. Think he might be the most underrated RB in a phenomenal RB class.

5. Witherspoon is pretty much the prototype for the lanky CB that all the draftniks fall head over heels for every year. Not sure why he's going so under the radar.

6. Maulet had a great year this year but that was after being one of the worst CB's in the country last year. If he had more consistent tape he would be graded higher but it's either really good or really bad.

7. Reeves-Maybin has a great skill set but appears utterly incapable of staying healthy. Regardless, I heard he will be applying for a 6th year instead of going into draft.

Thanks, I really like Moton and understand about Mahomes.

Maulet and Reeves and my small school/injured/troubled but talented late rd guys that is in keeping with my philosophy.

I really like your first 5 picks. No TJ Watt in the 2nd round?
1. Ramczyk, makes me a little nervous because of the hip surgery issue, but if CND signs off on him then I'm good.
2. Mahomes, like WF said, he's a ball of clay with potential, is O'Brien the proper sculptor to mould him? Can he learn O'Briens complicated offense?
3. Moton, probably an OG but I love the O-line emphasis and the OT/OG tweeners.
4. Kamara, this might take some luck, from what I read he could go earlier.
5. Witherspoon, I like the tall CB's but don't know anything about the player.
6&7. Maulet and Maybin, don't know anything about either but I'd like to see ILB addressed earlier. I think Cushing will be gone.

Is it just me or do we seem to have more needs than picks, and we'll be lucky to hit on 3 prospects.

Lineman...I love this draft!
Add them in with Brown and a healthy Nick Martin and suddenly our OL isn't "so" terrible.
As long as we get 2 OL out of this draft I will be happy...not that the FO cares lol.

I really like your first 5 picks. No TJ Watt in the 2nd round?
1. Ramczyk, makes me a little nervous because of the hip surgery issue, but if CND signs off on him then I'm good.
2. Mahomes, like WF said, he's a ball of clay with potential, is O'Brien the proper sculptor to mould him? Can he learn O'Briens complicated offense?
3. Moton, probably an OG but I love the O-line emphasis and the OT/OG tweeners.
4. Kamara, this might take some luck, from what I read he could go earlier.
5. Witherspoon, I like the tall CB's but don't know anything about the player.
6&7. Maulet and Maybin, don't know anything about either but I'd like to see ILB addressed earlier. I think Cushing will be gone.

Is it just me or do we seem to have more needs than picks, and we'll be lucky to hit on 3 prospects.

Looks like Mahomes may go in the 1st. I would pick him if he falls to #25. I wouldn't trade up for him.

If Kumara isn't there, there should be a RB upgrade available in the deepest RB class that I can remember. For instance off of the top of my head Elijah Hood/Brian Hill or a favorite of mine Jamaal Williams he reminds me of Arian Foster. (Track guy who runs very hard at 6'1 220 lbs. Good hands out of the backfield.) I don't believe he will be there in the 4th. I would consider trading up for him.

Which ILB do you want? What rd and who would you remove from this mock? My plan would be to add a cheap vet ILB like say a Durant or Witherspoon in FA.

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure we only have five selections but like your top three. I prefer Skipper over Moton for OT but if you are moving him to OG, I can see that. I would not take RB at all as there should be really good ones in UDFA. I would want to see Lamar Miller used more for what we signed him to do, use his speed to outside and in catching ball. I'd be very leery of Ram's hip surgery and hope other team will draft him over lesser known Bolles. I also think Skipper or Davenport or Gennesy or Dawkins could handle right tackle.

My board has no defensive selections in 2017 draft.

I'm pretty sure we only have five selections but like your top three. I prefer Skipper over Moton for OT but if you are moving him to OG, I can see that. I would not take RB at all as there should be really good ones in UDFA. I would want to see Lamar Miller used more for what we signed him to do, use his speed to outside and in catching ball. I'd be very leery of Ram's hip surgery and hope other team will draft him over lesser known Bolles. I also think Skipper or Davenport or Gennesy or Dawkins could handle right tackle.

My board has no defensive selections in 2017 draft.

Thanks for the reply, I haven't looked up how many picks the Texans actually have. If you would do that I would greatly appreciate it. I'm mostly in agreement with this post. My mock is based on the most talent that I feel will be available in that rd. For instance I think Kamara Brian Hill/Jamaal Williams are as good as Lamar Miller (If not better) and better than any other RB on this team. The only reason one of them should fall is because of the depth in this yrs RB class and Rick would be stupid to pass on real talent in the 4th rd to fill a need.

From what I can tell we have all of our original picks 1-7 as well as the Bears 6th from the Khari Lee trade. We traded a 6th to the Redskins last draft in the Fuller trade but it's not known if it was our pick or the Bears pick. I assume it was the Bears pick since that will be the higher 6th so we seemingly have all of our original picks 1-7.

From what I can tell we have all of our original picks 1-7 as well as the Bears 6th from the Khari Lee trade. We traded a 6th to the Redskins last draft in the Fuller trade but it's not known if it was our pick or the Bears pick. I assume it was the Bears pick since that will be the higher 6th so we seemingly have all of our original picks 1-7.

I think the Texans have all their original picks except the 6th round. They are picking earlier in that round so that is probably the Bears pick you are referring to.

Spent three hours researching and results agree with Insideop that 2017 we have all but round 6. Below is as clear as I can understand it:

2014 Texans trade for Mallett giving up a conditional 2016 round 7 that could have upgraded to a 6th but did not. I include this as my confusion set in trying to clarify 2016.

2016 draft:
ROUND ONE we moved up from # 22 to #21 to get Will Fuller. Washington got #22 and our 2017 round 6.

ROUND TWO we moved up from #52 to #50 to get Martin. Falcons got a 6th + #52.

ROUNDS THREE THRU 5 a were our picks no trades.

Round Five # 166 we got sending WR Keyshawn Martin + a 2016 6th #196 to NE who traded it to Miami.

Round Six we had no pick

Round 7 we had received a 7th for Keenum and traded it to Denver for Clark. We traded our own 7th in 2014 for Ryan Mallett as above.

Spent three hours researching and results agree with Insideop that 2017 we have all but round 6. Below is as clear as I can understand it:

2014 Texans trade for Mallett giving up a conditional 2016 round 7 that could have upgraded to a 6th but did not. I include this as my confusion set in trying to clarify 2016.

2016 draft:
ROUND ONE we moved up from # 22 to #21 to get Will Fuller. Washington got #22 and our 2017 round 6.

Round Five # 166 we got sending WR Keyshawn Martin + a 2016 6th #196 to NE who traded it to Miami.

Round Six we had no pick

Round 7 we had received a 7th for Keenum and traded it to Denver for Clark. We traded our own 7th in 2014 for Ryan Mallett as above.

Thanks

Outside of #2, I love it. I don't suppose you have an athletic linebacker as an option for our second pick?

I love Kamara but I'm not sure he's the type of RB we need, I would prefer a wrecking ball downhill runner. If we got him I wouldn't complain. I watched him carve up A&M in person in that wild OT game

What makes Moton a project?

He's an extremely powerful kid that has grown used to over-powering over-matched opponents and is developing some bad habits. He's so used to pushing kids around he tends to lunge and drive instead of squaring up. That combined with some poor footwork leads to some problems in pass pro. Kid is a beast in the weight room but he needs some field work to maybe slim down some and increase his foot speed and fluidity. That would help with his lateral movement, which is sub-par.

All of this is fixable though. It happens to a lot of kids in college who are physically dominant. They tend to lean on their physical skills instead of techniques because it's just easier but it develops some bad habits for the next level that need to be cleaned up.

He's an extremely powerful kid that has grown used to over-powering over-matched opponents and is developing some bad habits. He's so used to pushing kids around he tends to lunge and drive instead of squaring up. That combined with some poor footwork leads to some problems in pass pro. Kid is a beast in the weight room but he needs some field work to maybe slim down some and increase his foot speed and fluidity. That would help with his lateral movement, which is sub-par.

All of this is fixable though. It happens to a lot of kids in college who are physically dominant. They tend to lean on their physical skills instead of techniques because it's just easier but it develops some bad habits for the next level that need to be cleaned up.

How is Xavier Su'a-Filo progressing ? He was supposed to be a 1st round pick in 2014 but slipped to the 2nd and struggled . Why is this ?

How is Xavier Su'a-Filo progressing ? He was supposed to be a 1st round pick in 2014 but slipped to the 2nd and struggled . Why is this ?

I thought Su'a-Filo played great down the stretch this year. As for why he wasn't a 1st round pick I would assume it was because he was strictly an OG with no OT versatility. Not many OG's go 1st round.

I thought Su'a-Filo played great down the stretch this year. As for why he wasn't a 1st round pick I would assume it was because he was strictly an OG with no OT versatility. Not many OG's go 1st round.

I was comparing X with Moton , who is raw . That X was highly touted and struggled like everyone else in this offense .

I was comparing X with Moton , who is raw . That X was highly touted and struggled like everyone else in this offense .

Gotcha. I think XSF problem was the Texans tried teaching him multiple positions all during his rookie year and overloaded him. He looked completely overwhelmed mentally. Constantly blowing assignments and hesitating. Things started clicking for him toward the end of this year.

As a rookie in 2014, the second-rounder out of UCLA missed OTAs because of his alma mater's quarter system. While his rookie teammates were practicing with veterans for the first time, Su'a-Filo was back home trying his best to stay in shape and prepare for the rigors of an NFL campaign.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...-in-2015/793ef6b5-ba10-488f-8570-7e3b8c526318

IIRC he also had trouble with weight and being in shape which is not unusual for some NFL rookies. He did have some injuries.

But Bill O’Brien has cautiously held him out, using the injured list to cover his deficiencies as an professional offensive lineman.

Seriously?

A guy of his age can’t be that hurt all of the time and I just don’t feel he’s that physically fit enough to take the reins as he was primed to do.

This has been a criticism of him since he was drafted — although he’s excellent off his feet, quick on the line and can be an effective pass blocker he struggles with lateral movements as he is heavy-legged and constantly gets beat at his position.
rest of lengthy article here: https://houseofhouston.com/2015/09/23/texans-xavier-sua-filo-the-biggest-bust-ever/

From his CBS player overview coming out of UCLA:
"WEAKNESSES: Inconsistent body positioning and takes poor angles. Caught lunging and struggles to recover. Not patient and lacks timing. Needs to develop a more deadly punch to jolt rushers at first contact and redirect their momentum. Lacks a mean streak and will take some plays off. Poor pad level leads to inconsistent leverage at the point. Needs to refine fundamentals. Older prospect for an underclassman (will be a 23-year-old rookie) after serving a two-year Mormon mission."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...-in-2015/793ef6b5-ba10-488f-8570-7e3b8c526318

IIRC he also had trouble with weight and being in shape which is not unusual for some NFL rookies. He did have some injuries.

rest of lengthy article here: https://houseofhouston.com/2015/09/23/texans-xavier-sua-filo-the-biggest-bust-ever/

From his CBS player overview coming out of UCLA:
"WEAKNESSES: Inconsistent body positioning and takes poor angles. Caught lunging and struggles to recover. Not patient and lacks timing. Needs to develop a more deadly punch to jolt rushers at first contact and redirect their momentum. Lacks a mean streak and will take some plays off. Poor pad level leads to inconsistent leverage at the point. Needs to refine fundamentals. Older prospect for an underclassman (will be a 23-year-old rookie) after serving a two-year Mormon mission."

At least we didn't draft Johnathon Cooper .

2016 draft:

Round Six we had no pick

You have succeeded in confusing me.
So we traded both of 2017 draft's 6th round picks or do we still have the one from the Bears??

Which ILB do you want? What rd and who would you remove from this mock? My plan would be to add a cheap vet ILB like say a Durant or Witherspoon in FA.

With the talent level at OT being what it is, no elite level OT's but lots of mid range guys, I was thinking taking Zach Cunningham-ILB/OLB in the 1st round (I like his speed, length, and athleticism) and then taking someone like Dion Dawkins-OT in the 2nd round. I'd also take a depth OT/OG in the 4th or 5th round. My mock, on paper, doesn't have us taking a QB though.

With the talent level at OT being what it is, no elite level OT's but lots of mid range guys, I was thinking taking Zach Cunningham-ILB/OLB in the 1st round (I like his speed, length, and athleticism) and then taking someone like Dion Dawkins-OT in the 2nd round. I'd also take a depth OT/OG in the 4th or 5th round. My mock, on paper, doesn't have us taking a QB though.

I'm not real high on Cunningham. More of a 2nd rd guy. If I was going that route, Pepprs would be my pick or one of the CB's that fall.

Here would be my plan if Rick went that way.

Rd.1 Peppers
Rd. 2 Bisnowaty
Rd.3 Kelly
Rd.4 Jamal Williams

I'm not real high on Cunningham. More of a 2nd rd guy. If I was going that route, Pepprs would be my pick or one of the CB's that fall.

Rd.1 Peppers
Rd. 2 Bisnowaty
Rd.3 Kelly
Rd.4 Jamal Williams

Talk about a difference of opinion. I love Cunningham. In fact, I think he is easily the best LB in this class and a top ten player in the entire draft. I think he's going to be a special NFL player.

But that's what is cool about this place. We can disagree and it's valuable to get different perspectives from people. It helps us all see things from more than one point of view.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dawkins ends up in the 1st round when it's done. I expect him to dominate and open some eyes at the Senior Bowl.

I love Cunningham too btw.

Talk about a difference of opinion. I love Cunningham. In fact, I think he is easily the best LB in this class and a top ten player in the entire draft. I think he's going to be a special NFL player.

But that's what is cool about this place. We can disagree and it's valuable to get different perspectives from people. It helps us all see things from more than one point of view.

I like Cunningham, just not as a 1st rd guy. When I think of a 1st rd guy I think of Matthews/Kuechly/Lewis/Cushing preinjury. The only LB I see in this class like that is Foster. Cunningham is really good but he's not on the same level as an open field tackler/rusher as the guys I've listed above. I've got Cunningham as a Kendricks type LB. Which is a really good player, but not a true differencemaker. Compare Watt/Reddick/Cunningham for me. I've got them all in the early 2nd/early 3rd rd range for different reasons.

This is why I love this section of the MB. Differing thoughts on guys and seeing how things turn out 3 yrs from now.

BTW, I spent an hr watching Roulier last night. I really like him. He would add smarts/toughness to the interior OL. When I do another mock if the all star games/combine go like I think they will, I have him going in the 4th rd.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dawkins ends up in the 1st round when it's done. I expect him to dominate and open some eyes at the Senior Bowl.

I love Cunningham too btw.

I agree on the 1st round assessment of Dawkins, I put him in the 2nd based on CBS rankings, but I like what I see and can see him moving to the 1st round. Has anyone looked at Antonio Garcia-OT from Troy yet? I watched some film on him last night and liked what I saw, very fluid and smooth in his slide step in pass protection, and natural knee bender. He needs some work in run blocking but he's someone I wouldn't be surprised to see him move up in rankings.

Rd.1 Peppers
Rd. 2 Bisnowaty
Rd.3 Kelly
Rd.4 Jamal Williams

I really like Cunningham in the non-traditional ILB role of covering TE & RB in pass protection, sideline to sideline speed, athleticism/speed to play zone coverage. I'm not looking for a 4-3 MLB/tank to stuff the run up the middle.

I really like Cunningham in the non-traditional ILB role of covering TE & RB in pass protection, sideline to sideline speed, athleticism/speed to play zone coverage. I'm not looking for a 4-3 MLB/tank to stuff the run up the middle.

If I'm going to spend a 1st rd pick on a LB, I want him to be able to do it all. Like a Kuechly/Matthews/Lee/Freeman etc...

I like Cunningham, just not as a 1st rd guy. When I think of a 1st rd guy I think of Matthews/Kuechly/Lewis/Cushing preinjury. The only LB I see in this class like that is Foster. Cunningham is really good but he's not on the same level as an open field tackler/rusher as the guys I've listed above. I've got Cunningham as a Kendricks type LB. Which is a really good player, but not a true differencemaker. Compare Watt/Reddick/Cunningham for me. I've got them all in the early 2nd/early 3rd rd range for different reasons.

This is why I love this section of the MB. Differing thoughts on guys and seeing how things turn out 3 yrs from now.

BTW, I spent an hr watching Roulier last night. I really like him. He would add smarts/toughness to the interior OL. When I do another mock if the all star games/combine go like I think they will, I have him going in the 4th rd.

I don't know. Cunningham attacks downhill pretty well. 213 tackles, 31 TFL, 5 sacks, 5 FF, and 7 FR in just the last two years. That's out of this world production for an interior LB, especially when you consider all the different things Vanderbilt had him do because of his versatility and the drastic talent gap between him and their next best defensive player.

Watt is a pure edge guy to me. He's not an ILB. Reddick could play ILB but that's a waste of his best skills. I think he is better suited to a position outside, not a true edge rusher like Watt but more of a versatile 34 SAM that can rush, play in coverage, and set the edge against the run.

Foster is a better thumper in the middle, and also probably a better interior blitzer, although neither is especially refined in that area. But Cunningham can do so many things. Foster is an athlete in his own right, but Cunningham is awesome in coverage. He's a former Safety that's grown into a LB and I think he could even add a little bit more weight also. I love his versatility. And I think he fits better next to McKinney also.

My top three ILBs for the Texans are Cunningham, Anthony Walker, and Elijah Lee (he'd have to gain some weight but I love his projection to that position).

Back