Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Steel B's Post Combine Mock Draft

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
2. Noah Igbinhoghene, CB Auburn- Only 2nd yr of playing CB, Converted WR. Track Star, Good cover skills mirrored WR's routes very well. Is good in run support and plays a physical brand of football. Needs to not grab as much with the NAFL PI rules. Best football is ahead of him.

3. Davon Hamilton DT Ohio St.- Big guy who commands double teams, has a little pass rush ability. Mountain of a man who's also a very good athlete. 10 yr starter. This classes Reader.

4. Amik Robertson- This guy is a short 5'8 playmaker. Played on the outside in college. Great ball skills, track athlete who has played the slot also in college. Top cover guy who will come up and support the run. Very physical. Former Track athlete. Very Mature had a kid at 15 and remained in his childs life. Reminds me of Matheiu. Only reason he falls this far is he had groin surgery and missed the combine.

4. Antonio Gipson- Ran a 4.39 at 223 Lbs. Can play slot and fill the RB role also. Very dynamic, Very good KR/PR.

5. Willie Gay Jr, Mississippi - Highly recruited guy out of High School. Had a productive Soph season. Got Suspended (Something to do with Tutoring) his Jr. yr. This guy can rush the passer as well as cover TE's, adds a dinension to the Texans LB corps that has really been missing (Speed) 4.46.

Rd. 7 Davion Taylor LB Colorado- Didn't play HS football, only been playing football for 4 yrs. Taylor has great speed 4.49 and is very good in coverage. He provides the coverage LB that the Texans have been missing. Best football is ahead of him. The ST's would be really improved with the addition of Taylor/Gay.
7. D.J. Dallas RB Miami- Great Short ydge guy. Great in pass pro, also has god hands. Ran a 4.53 at the Combine. Solid all around RB.
7. Jared Hilbers OT Washington- Played RT and looked good when he had to move to LT to replace an injured Trey Adams. Solid player who would be an upgrade over what the Texans had playing backup OT last yr. Very Versatile. Texans visited with Hilbers at the Sr. Bowl.

Priority FA's Tyrie Cleveland Wr, Fla and James Smith Williams Edge N.C. State. (Only a FA due to injury, put up great numbers at combine and was a team leader at N.C. State.)

This Mock would add badly needed speed to the Texans CB/LB Corps and add WFV insurance as well as depth at RB/OT.

I like Igbinhoghene, but he's still developing. He has high upside though. I just don't know if I want to spend our 2nd on a "he has a great ceiling" guy.

I don't know if I'd take Hamilton in the 3rd. I've seen him ranked in a variety of rounds on a couple boards.

Love Robertson! I think he'd be a great nickel for us.

Gibson would be a decent addition, but I'd draft him in the later rounds.

Gay Jr is intriguing after the combine. I need to look into him a little more.

I'm honestly not familiar with any of your 7th round guys.

Yes, we need to add speed, but that's just one area of a players game.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
2. Noah Igbinhoghene, CB Auburn- Only 2nd yr of playing CB, Converted WR. Track Star, Good cover skills mirrored WR's routes very well. Is good in run support and plays a physical brand of football. Needs to not grab as much with the NAFL PI rules. Best football is ahead of him.

Position of need. Unpolished. Would be luxury pick that requires time and development. His official combine time in forty is 4.48.

3. Davon Hamilton DT Ohio St.- Big guy who commands double teams, has a little pass rush ability. Mountain of a man who's also a very good athlete. 10 yr starter. This classes Reader.

Davon is more of a 4-3 DT. If Texans **** up and don't resign Reader defiantly see them addressing more of an interior 3-4 nose tackle. But would be disappointed if they did not select a better system fit.

4. Amik Robertson- This guy is a short 5'8 playmaker. Played on the outside in college. Great ball skills, track athlete who has played the slot also in college. Top cover guy who will come up and support the run. Very physical. Former Track athlete. Very Mature had a kid at 15 and remained in his childs life. Reminds me of Matheiu. Only reason he falls this far is he had groin surgery and missed the combine.

Only thing that worries me about Robertson is making adjustment to NFL, coming off injury. If you believe in him enough to be patient, would consider him with your third round pick.

4. Antonio Gipson- Ran a 4.39 at 223 Lbs. Can play slot and fill the RB role also. Very dynamic, Very good KR/PR.

Versatile WR, I get that just not inspired with pick. Maybe 6th or 7th rd.

5. Willie Gay Jr, Mississippi - Highly recruited guy out of High School. Had a productive Soph season. Got Suspended (Something to do with Tutoring) his Jr. yr. This guy can rush the passer as well as cover TE's, adds a dinension to the Texans LB corps that has really been missing (Speed) 4.46.

Not sure if he will be anything more than special teams and spot duty rotational player? Some good traits but again unpolished and unsure what your getting.

Rd. 7 Davion Taylor LB Colorado- Didn't play HS football, only been playing football for 4 yrs. Taylor has great speed 4.49 and is very good in coverage. He provides the coverage LB that the Texans have been missing. Best football is ahead of him. The ST's would be really improved with the addition of Taylor/Gay.

Actually like this pick as developmental prospect here in the 7th rd.

7. D.J. Dallas RB Miami- Great Short ydge guy. Great in pass pro, also has god hands. Ran a 4.53 at the Combine. Solid all around RB.

JAG. Undrafted free agent. Obviously get the need. In fact would really explore options of moving up to select a bell cow back who can protect Watson, weapon out of the backfield and upgrade starting RB.

7. Jared Hilbers OT Washington- Played RT and looked good when he had to move to LT to replace an injured Trey Adams. Solid player who would be an upgrade over what the Texans had playing backup OT last yr. Very Versatile. Texans visited with Hilbers at the Sr. Bowl.

Hilbers is a swing tackle and can't believe you waited this long to address OL. However this would be a wonderful selection if, still on the board.

Priority FA's Tyrie Cleveland Wr, Fla and James Smith Williams Edge N.C. State. (Only a FA due to injury, put up great numbers at combine and was a team leader at N.C. State.)

This Mock would add badly needed speed to the Texans CB/LB Corps and add WFV insurance as well as depth at RB/OT.
Priority free agent should be DJ Reader & Bradly Roby. End of discussion.

Rare for me to get on board these days but since its you decided to share my thoughts, FWIW.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Priority free agent should be DJ Reader & Bradly Roby. End of discussion.

Rare for me to get on board these days but since its you decided to share my thoughts, FWIW.
Agreed, about Roby/Reader.

If they dont bring them back I'm hoping they use Readers $$$$ to sign the best FA CB on the market and draft Hamilton so there will be depth at NT (Hamilton/Dunn) to replace Reader.

We need to get together and try a cold craft beer again sometimes. Give me a call.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I've seen a little on this kid & i'm not at all impressed..would be highly upset with the Texans if they picked this kid in the 2nd for exactly the reason you laid out..He would be a PI machine in the NFL. Not b/c of the grabbing but b/c of the way he defends when the ball is in the air is to face guard the WR, not to turn his head & locate the ball.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I've seen a little on this kid & i'm not at all impressed..would be highly upset with the Texans if they picked this kid in the 2nd for exactly the reason you laid out..He would be a PI machine in the NFL. Not b/c of the grabbing but b/c of the way he defends when the ball is in the air is to face guard the WR, not to turn his head & locate the ball.
Kind of like a faster KJax.

Since he's new to the position I figure he's a ball of clay waiting to be molded. He's in position he just needs to learn to turn and locate the ball. KJax was able to learn when Wade's staff was here. Hopefully this guy can make that transition also. He certainly has the talent.

The guy I really want is Gladney but they probably would have to trade up to get him.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Agreed, about Roby/Reader.

If they dont bring them back I'm hoping they use Readers $$$$ to sign the best FA CB on the market and draft Hamilton so there will be depth at NT (Hamilton/Dunn) to replace Reader.

We need to get together and try a cold craft beer again sometimes. Give me a call.
put myself on two week quarantine

disaacks3

Staff member
Historically, the Combine has not been a very good predictor of NFL success.

Here is a 2016 article that demonstrates, in fact, that the correlation is poor. It appears that subsequent years have not resulted in all that much difference.:

Does the NFL Combine Really Matter?

And here is a 1 year old very interesting article that is again quite discouraging as to trying to make predictions.:

How Much Does the Combine Reveal About Future NFL Players?
While accurate if only judging on combine physical performances, both of those leave out the extensive interviews, the Wonderlic, and how teams package this information with their collegiate performance to paint a fuller picture. Even then, we all know that the draft, especially the later rounds, is a crapshoot.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
While accurate if only judging on combine physical performances, both of those leave out the extensive interviews, the Wonderlic, and how teams package this information with their collegiate performance to paint a fuller picture. Even then, we all know that the draft, especially the later rounds, is a crapshoot.
The main thing for the combine is the medicals/interviews etc... A few small school guys like Dugger/Chinn etc.. the on field testing is real important. Also if a guy like the Missouri TE or Snead from La Tech blow away the combine they can really help their draft stock.

Another important reason for the combine is it gives GM's a chance to meet with agents of FA's they're interested in signing and set parameters on contracts the player is looking for and maybe even hash out a deal before the start of FA. (Yes I know this is illegal but it happens frequently.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Kind of like a faster KJax.

Since he's new to the position I figure he's a ball of clay waiting to be molded. He's in position he just needs to learn to turn and locate the ball. KJax was able to learn when Wade's staff was here. Hopefully this guy can make that transition also. He certainly has the talent.

The guy I really want is Gladney but they probably would have to trade up to get him.
2 major things i look for with my DBs. Guys who are good tacklers in the open field and guys comfortable when the ball in the air. Igbinhoghene looks to be a decent tackler but i didn't like what i saw of him when the ball was in the air. That to me is the tell tell whether you have something special or not. too many times in the NFL you see guys panic when they know the ball is coming and either grab or face guard the WR & its a very hard habit for guys to break coming out of college; especially when you're livelihood is now on the line.
K-jax was a rarity & was also a 1st round talent & it still took him years to break that habit. This kid to me looks like a 3rd rounder at best.

For that 2nd round pick, if we go DB, my guy would be Cam Danztler. Not only b/c i I think we have a realistic shot to get him in the 2nd but b/c he's a very good tackler and he seems to be fairly comfortable with the ball in the air; there's no panic. He's not a speedy guy & he's got a slight frame like K-jo, but he's long & he knows how to use that length. Reminds me of Sherman.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
There's nothing to really glean from these combine results imo except for the medicals.....these guys are so tight in the drills....& the days are so long for them.........you're just not gonna get the best of a guy in that situation imo.

Right now, Draftniks have Danztler trending down b/c he ran a 4.6 in the 40. Tape to me shows he doesn't really play at 4.6.....and his length more than makes up for a few milliseconds imo.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The Wonderlic has repeatedly been shown to be non correlative to NFL success.

Is the Wonderlic test a good predictor of NFL success?

The assessment has been a staple of the NFL combine and scouting process for many years. But do the scores really mean anything in the scheme of things?

By Nathan Beaucage Jun 17, 2017, 12:45pm EDT

And interviews have now been become so thoroughly coached for such long periods before the Combine by high priced prep professionals, that many of the answers presented by the potential draftees would not be recognized by their own mothers.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
2 major things i look for with my DBs. Guys who are good tacklers in the open field and guys comfortable when the ball in the air. Igbinhoghene looks to be a decent tackler but i didn't like what i saw of him when the ball was in the air. That to me is the tell tell whether you have something special or not. too many times in the NFL you see guys panic when they know the ball is coming and either grab or face guard the WR & its a very hard habit for guys to break coming out of college; especially when you're livelihood is now on the line.
K-jax was a rarity & was also a 1st round talent & it still took him years to break that habit. This kid to me looks like a 3rd rounder at best.

For that 2nd round pick, if we go DB, my guy would be Cam Danztler. Not only b/c i I think we have a realistic shot to get him in the 2nd but b/c he's a very good tackler and he seems to be fairly comfortable with the ball in the air; there's no panic. He's not a speedy guy & he's got a slight frame like K-jo, but he's long & he knows how to use that length. Reminds me of Sherman.
Thanks for the reply,

I'm terrible at evaluating CB's. Pretty good at S though.

I like Danzler alot too. Smart guy, shut down Chase this yr. Did well against NFL level WRs.

The reason I chose Noah I was I'm looking to add speed to the Texans defense. Speed was really lacking last yr.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Historically, the Combine has not been a very good predictor of NFL success.

Here is a 2016 article that demonstrates, in fact, that the correlation is poor. It appears that subsequent years have not resulted in all that much difference.:

Does the NFL Combine Really Matter?

And here is a 1 year old very interesting article that is again quite discouraging as to trying to make predictions.:

How Much Does the Combine Reveal About Future NFL Players?
Put them in full gear first and foremost. For sheer speed purposes, have them run 40 and 60 yard dash. Actual measurements and weight still important. Agility drills would be important. Interviews would probably rate as one of the most important things to do with these young players.

We know for the most part that almost every player will need to gain NFL strength. Really don't need a standing high jump, could lose the broad jump. Throwing drills are far less informative than good old fashion game film.....where's pressure to determine how he'll throw a football or comprehend his next option? Hard to tell any of this while they're throwing in their underwear with no pressure......hell, I could hit every throw on the street when I was tossing to my buddies and the curbs were out of bounds.

Get real with the Combine.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Put them in full gear first and foremost. For sheer speed purposes, have them run 40 and 60 yard dash. Actual measurements and weight still important. Agility drills would be important. Interviews would probably rate as one of the most important things to do with these young players.

We know for the most part that almost every player will need to gain NFL strength. Really don't need a standing high jump, could lose the broad jump. Throwing drills are far less informative than good old fashion game film.....where's pressure to determine how he'll throw a football or comprehend his next option? Hard to tell any of this while they're throwing in their underwear with no pressure......hell, I could hit every throw on the street when I was tossing to my buddies and the curbs were out of bounds.

The vert and broad jumps are very important, they show explosion and give teams a feel for the type of athletic ability a guy has. It's an important part of the puzzle. I do like your idea of doing these drills in pads.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

The problem I see with all the drills including the so-called agility drills is multi-fold. They are easily practicable and predictable........just like being given a list of answers on a test before the taking the tests. You can successfully prep for straight line runs, jumps................and even the agility tests as set up, as players know the static configurations and order of encountering the obstacles.

To illustrate static testing vs dynamic testing............I'll use the example of the mechanical bull. If the mechanical bull was set to buck in ONE direction with ONE set force with ONE vertical up and down height and with movements occurring at strict time intervals...............you could relatively practice and improve for your bull run, and allow you to stay on the bull for a long period of time.

Now, for anyone who has ever attempted a mechanical bull run, you know that all of the above factors change without predictability in extremely short spurts of intervals, not allowing anticipation of the next moves..........making trying to stay of the bull for any length of time very difficult to impossible.

Another example is a greyhound race that tests only speed, not agility of the dog. The mechanical rabbit is placed on a smooth basically straight to gently curved configuration. If you wanted to truly test the dogs' agility, the rabbit course would be made to be able to zig zag in manipulatable non repeated patterns (as occurs in nature). Similarly, instead of classic dog agility courses having static ramps, jumps and obstacles..............making them dynamically moving objects would truly test the dog's intelligence and agility.

For all NFL players, especially for skill players..............during games, they don't know and are not given all the moves that their opponents will make, or the moves in response to theirs.

Bottom line, only dynamic testing can accurately test the very important strategic thinking and reflex responses necessary to be a successful NFL player.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
For all NFL players, especially for skill players..............during games, they don't know and are not given all the moves that their opponents will make, or the moves in response to theirs.
Which is one of the reasons the explosion drills are important

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Even weight lifting at the combine must be considered a static exercise and does not reflect the dynamic functions where strength needs to be placed in the context of games. It in no way reflects how and how efficiently the player will use his weight and strength in the course of a game.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Which is one of the reasons the explosion drills are important
You are correct about the importance of explosion. However, again, it loses its value when not seen in the context of gameplay. When and how effective length will that player apply the explosiveness. Without knowing when and how to use this trait, it can become worthless in a game.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
You are correct about the importance of explosion. However, again, it loses its value when not seen in the context of gameplay. When and how effective length will that player apply the explosiveness. Without knowing when and how to use this trait, it can become worthless in a game.

You're right Doc .... but isn't that what they pay coaches for ?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
A player's physical skills do not ensure mental skills............. poor mental skills commonly neutralize physical skills.................a combination much more limiting for a coach to develop.
Give me team full of great athletes and I'm betting most of the mental things workout.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Athleticism trumps all ! One of my most valuable takeaways from the Combine, (especially for big guys), is watching the way they walk and move - honestly !

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Hence, the value of the Wonderlic !
The Wonderlic has repeatedly been shown to be non correlative to NFL success.
Is the Wonderlic test a good predictor of NFL success?
The assessment has been a staple of the NFL combine and scouting process for many years. But do the scores really mean anything in the scheme of things?

By Nathan Beaucage Jun 17, 2017, 12:45pm EDT

And interviews have now been become so thoroughly coached for such long periods before the Combine by high priced prep professionals, that many of the answers presented by the potential draftees would not be recognized by their own mothers.

Reactions: JB

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Give me team full of great athletes and I'm betting most of the mental things workout.
I bet you can think of a load full of players that showed a load full of athleticism that could never translate into NFL success because of their box full of rocks upstairs.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I bet you can think of a load full of players that showed a load full of athleticism that could never translate into NFL success because of their box full of rocks upstairs.
Yep, but if you get enough highly skilled athletes you can live with the percentages of busts.

For every great athletic bust, (Vernon Gohlston) how many great athletes have made good on their athleticism?

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Does anybody know if they update the Wonderlic test? I would hope so to reflect pure analytical skills regardless of race, background, schooling, regions etc, to get a true measure of ones abilities.

Athletics being equal a strong character check and mental aptitude applicable to the NFL would be more gradable metric.