Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Steel B's Mock 1.0

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Rd.1 DE Will Anderson- Alabama, Best pass rusher in draft
Rd.1 Jordan Addison WR- USC, Love his size/speed/hands. True deep threat, great player.
Rd.2 Siaki Ika DT- Baylor Big dude that stops the run and surprisingly can rush the passer some
Rd.3 Devon Achane RB- Texas A&M, A threat to score everytime he touches the ball. Runs hard, good hands, Hill type speed.
Rd. 3 Sam LaPorta TE- Iowa, Solid Iowa TE.
Rd.3 Ricky Stromberg C -Arkansas, Trading back into the 3rd using a 4th/5th. Going to start for 10 yrs. Hopefully it's for the Texans. Hardworking leader, very strong.
Rd.6 Roschon Johnson RB- Texas, One of my favorite players in the draft. Can do a little bit of everything. Leader, untapped potential.
Rd.6 Ben Sims TE Baylor- Good blocking TE with great size. Good hand and Redzone threat.
Rd.6Jay Ward S - LSU Good speed, instincts and a solid tackler.
Rd.7 Campbell Barrington OT- Yale, Long armed guy with good feet. Excellent in pass protection against lesser competition. Great project to work with, he's got the Traits.

This is another foundational type draft. This draft dosn't have the depth of talent last yers draft had but Caserio should be able to have a draft of 5/6 difference makers. Kinda like last yrs draft, only better.

I forgot to add that I would spend the money to add Roquan Smith/Alexander Mattison in fa.

Thoughts

Last edited:
Only thing I would complain about is the Oline. I like the kid from Arkansas. But I’d some more mean mofos. This Oline now is lacking in mean mofos. Road grader types.
I like Greene so far. Give me two lots of those
Yep! Along with C, Texans need another G and at least one more OT. IDL and LB are also huge needs. WR too...
It's probably going to take a lot of movement in the FA market along with a very solid draft to get the Texans to average

Yep! Along with C, Texans need another G and at least one more OT. IDL and LB are also huge needs. WR too...
It's probably going to take a lot of movement in the FA market along with a very solid draft to get the Texans to average

I believe the trenches have to be fixed in 2023 b/c this is essentially where the Texans are getting their arses handed to them. Check out my last Mock…..I went hard after trench players. I believe the Texans possess decent to better than expected skill position players who need better trench play to put their complete skills on display.

Last edited:
I really like the list and I'm pleased to see #6 Roshun Johnson RB Texas. He will have less wear due to his limited role. All the checks marks are there for him however I don't think he will drop to 6th as other scouts see what he has to offer.

I strongly disagree with this portion

I understand your position. I’d like to see what could happen if there was a better run game that could truly open up the rest of the offense. Front 7 on defense have to get much better so it helps the DB’s to better do their job.

Rd.1 DE Will Anderson- Alabama, Best pass rusher in draft
Rd.1 Jordan Addison WR- USC, Love his size/speed/hands. True deep threat, great player.
Rd.2 Siaki Ika DT- Baylor Big dude that stops the run and surprisingly can rush the passer some
Rd.3 Devon Achane RB- Texas A&M, A threat to score everytime he touches the ball. Runs hard, good hands, Hill type speed.
Rd. 3 Sam LaPorta TE- Iowa, Solid Iowa TE.
Rd.3 Ricky Stromberg C -Arkansas, Trading back into the 3rd using a 4th/5th. Going to start for 10 yrs. Hopefully it's for the Texans. Hardworking leader, very strong.
Rd.6 Roschon Johnson RB- Texas, One of my favorite players in the draft. Can do a little bit of everything. Leader, untapped potential.
Rd.6 Ben Sims TE Baylor- Good blocking TE with great size. Good hand and Redzone threat.
Rd.6Jay Ward S - LSU Good speed, instincts and a solid tackler.
Rd.7 Campbell Barrington OT- Yale, Long armed guy with good feet. Excellent in pass protection against lesser competition. Great project to work with, he's got the Traits.

This is another foundational type draft. This draft dosn't have the depth of talent last yers draft had but Caserio should be able to have a draft of 5/6 difference makers. Kinda like last yrs draft, only better.

I forgot to add that I would spend the money to add Roquan Smith/Alexander Mattison in fa.

Thoughts
When was the last time a bama de/edge player was a game changer in the nfl?

I believe the trenches have to be fixed in 2023 b/c this is essentially where the Texans are getting their arses handed to them. Check out my last Mock…..I went hard after trench players. I believe the Texans possess decent to better than expected skill position players who need better trench play to put their complete skills on display.
This mock addresses this. Anderson/Ika/Stromberg addresses this

Also the WR and TE positions must be addressed. Luckily the draft is deep in those positions.

QB should be 1st selection, if one of the big two in play.

Don’t like small framed WR’s in rd. one.

Grab OT C OG next three

then bpa @ positions of need

Dont want a QB in this draft.

How do you feel about the WR from TCU Johnson? 6'4 225lbs reported 4,30. The numbers dont match the measureables, but the sparq numbers should be there. Reminds me a bit of Metcalf.

I got Stromberg because he will lokk great next to Green. I think you can get by with Can for one more yr. I dont know where he goes but I like Baylor OT Connor Galvin as a RT.

Gotta find a TE, preferably 2.

Also the WR and TE positions must be addressed. Luckily the draft is deep in those positions.
Would also like to
see you guys comments on Charlie Jones the wr from Purdue. Looks like A ball player to me.. no clue what round he might go???

And that doesn't address the offensive side where the skill positions need even more help

I'm trench guy through and through. This is an area the Texans are being drastically exposed in. This is a rebuilding process so it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see them put a tremendous emphasis in this area. The team should have a some cap space to work with in 2023....they should be able to add a couple of top skill position players to help in the process.

I'm trench guy through and through. This is an area the Texans are being drastically exposed in. This is a rebuilding process so it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see them put a tremendous emphasis in this area. The team should have a some cap space to work with in 2023....they should be able to add a couple of top skill position players to help in the process.
That doesn't address my comment at all?

I'm really liking Georgia TE2, Darnell Washington. He's a big, big man (6-7 @ 270 lbs) who can block and has averaged an amazing 18.7 YDS per catch. Not many TD's, but my guess he's the extra OL inside the Red Zone.

Texans could go back to the well in 2024 and select Georgia TE1 Brock Bowers (6-4 @ 230 lbs) who would be regarded even higher than Mayers (ND) is for the 2023 draft. I could see Bowers as a seem killer.

I'm really liking Georgia TE2, Darnell Washington. He's a big, big man (6-7 @ 270 lbs) who can block and has averaged an amazing 18.7 YDS per catch. Not many TD's, but my guess he's the extra OL inside the Red Zone.

Texans could go back to the well in 2024 and select Georgia TE1 Brock Bowers (6-4 @ 230 lbs) who would be regarded even higher than Mayers (ND) is for the 2023 draft. I could see Bowers as a seem killer.
That would solve the long-standing TE issues for the next decade. Loving me some Washington.

got this from Walters Football NFL prospects-- I like him 5-6th
Roschon Johnson, RB, Texas
Height: 6-2. Weight: 219.
Projected 40 Time: 4.55.
Projected Round (2023): 4-6
View Ranking History

9/10/22: Johnson ran for 34 yards and a touchdown over five carries to open 2022. While Johnson is big, he does not run with as much power and physicality as one would expect.
6/22/22: Johnson would be a starter at most schools, but with the Longhorns featuring perhaps the best back in the nation in Bijan Robinson, Johnson is the backup. Johnson put together solid production as a complementary back over the past three seasons. He is a big running back who has more receiving ability than many large backs.

Dont want a QB in this draft.

How do you feel about the WR from TCU Johnson? 6'4 225lbs reported 4,30. The numbers dont match the measureables, but the sparq numbers should be there. Reminds me a bit of Metcalf.

I got Stromberg because he will lokk great next to Green. I think you can get by with Can for one more yr. I dont know where he goes but I like Baylor OT Connor Galvin as a RT.

Gotta find a TE, preferably 2.

This is one of the better QB classes in years top to bottom. Could make case for one or two each round. Know this, Chargers need to get more serious about back-up insurance behind Herbert.

If you meant not first overall that’s fine but see who falls to Cleveland draft slot? Minimum like Chargers, need more viable QB depth options in case your guy gets hurt and needs recovery time.

Round Two: QB Herndon Hooker, Tennessee 6-3 221. Athletic and versatile can both run and throw equally well. Could move up into 1st. Rd Discussion?

Round Three: QB Brennan Armstrong Virginia 6-2 210. Tough, strong again in pocket as a passer with willingness to run for needed yardage. A gamer, with a two/three year development window having starter potential.

Round Four:

QB Sam Hartman Wake Forrest, 6-1 210
QB Kedon Slovis Pittsburgh, 6-3 212

Have to see more in order to separate, both with upside and starting potential.

Round Five: QB Cameron Rising Utah, 6-2 218. After 4th rd. we’re looking just for upgrades at back-up position. Have to be well rounded, competitive, smart and helps if athletic. Rising can run an offense, make smart throws and not turn the ball over.

got this from Walters Football NFL prospects-- I like him 5-6th
Roschon Johnson, RB, Texas
Height: 6-2. Weight: 219.
Projected 40 Time: 4.55.
Projected Round (2023): 4-6
View Ranking History

9/10/22: Johnson ran for 34 yards and a touchdown over five carries to open 2022. While Johnson is big, he does not run with as much power and physicality as one would expect.
6/22/22: Johnson would be a starter at most schools, but with the Longhorns featuring perhaps the best back in the nation in Bijan Robinson, Johnson is the backup. Johnson put together solid production as a complementary back over the past three seasons. He is a big running back who has more receiving ability than many large backs.

If you’d like to check out a dark horse RB…….look no further than Central Michigan Chippewas RB, Lew Nichols III. A solid 5-10 at 220 lbs makes him a load to bring down. He’s gotten out of the gate slower this season, but 2021 saw him gain 1,848 yards on the ground at a 5.4 AVG while scoring 16 TD’s. He also caught 40 passes for another 338 yards at 8.4 YPC and added another 2 TD’s. Some analyst(s) really seem to like this under the radar back….and I think he’ll be getting back on track as this season progresses....especially after losing his L and R tackles to the NFL. Pretty much every analyst’s agrees that his pass blocking is going to need some coaching, but in RD6 or RD7….he just might be a nice back to take over 3rd down back duties.

Last edited:
This is one of the better QB classes in years top to bottom. Could make case for one or two each round. Know this, Chargers need to get more serious about back-up insurance behind Herbert.

If you meant not first overall that’s fine but see who falls to Cleveland draft slot? Minimum like Chargers, need more viable QB depth options in case your guy gets hurt and needs recovery time.

Round Two: QB Herndon Hooker, Tennessee 6-3 221. Athletic and versatile can both run and throw equally well. Could move up into 1st. Rd Discussion?

Round Three: QB Brennan Armstrong Virginia 6-2 210. Tough, strong again in pocket as a passer with willingness to run for needed yardage. A gamer, with a two/three year development window having starter potential.

Round Four:

Round Five: QB Cameron Rising Utah, 6-2 218. After 4th rd. we’re looking just for upgrades at back-up position. Have to be well rounded, competitive, smart and helps if athletic. Rising can run an offense, make smart throws and not turn the ball over.

Go with Minshew or Rush if you're off of Mills and then draft Williams or Ewers in 2024. If you want to take a late shot on a guy like Hartman or Rising then I'm on board.

Go with Minshew or Rush if you're off of Mills and then draft Williams or Ewers in 2024. If you want to take a late shot on a guy like Hartman or Rising then I'm on board.

Whether off Mills or not you need a better back-up plan. If you want a home run take best available in draft.

What linemen are you talking about?
Lbs doesn't matter if opposing teams arent even pausing and going to 2nd level. There is a real reason why especially lately, Lovie Smith defense have been pretty easy to run on. I like Lopez, but he's probably a spell guy on a decent team. He plays hard and know what he's doing but he's not getting off blocks. The lbs are terrible behind that. The result is giving up 200 ypg. The bears did it with their 6th rd ,backup rb.

When was the last time a bama de/edge player was a game changer in the nfl?

Was probably the same time we last saw such a kind of dominance from a de/edge player at bama..

51CRrg8hHzL._AC_.jpg

Both players could've had much better numbers with stronger OL's protecting their QB(s).
I got the gist of your opinion, but Hopkins has over 10k yards in 9 season. He's had had 2 1500 yard season, 2 1300 seasons, 1 1200, 1 1100, and had 802 as a rookie. Those years with Watson with those bad olines, he was 1st team all pro and had a 1500 and a 1400 yd season. Nobody can honestly say Rams o-line is better than mid pack, even in pass blocking. Run blocking, they were average last year too. Imo, your oline just needs to be average, mid pack in any capacity

Round Four:

Thing is, look at how many qbs have been taken the last 5 years and measure that against who still needs them and who will be in position to get one. I think some of the guys who normally would be 1st rd qbs are going to get pushed down the draft. There is also the dynamic that somebody might want one we didn't expect. The 3 teams in the afc and nfc south, giants and commanders,thats kinda it. I guess the Lions might be in the mix even hough they seem cool with Goff.

PFN updated draft positions now have the Texans at #2 and #5 (CLE) in RD1. Carolina is sitting at #3 and could only hope one of the 2 top QB’s fall and that just wouldn’t be guaranteed.

I used the #2 and #5 picks as bargaining chips.

PFN had Seattle offer up the #3, 39, and 42 for the #2 pick…..of course, this was too good to pass up.

I made an offer of the #5, 133, 164, and 168 to the Lions for their #20, 64, and 100 picks. This was accepted.

The Mock:
RD1-003: DT- Jalen Carter, Georgia
RD1-020: WR- Quentin Johnston, TCU

RD2-033: TE- Darnell Washington, Georgia
RD2-039: RT- Darnell Wright, Tennessee
RD2-042: OC- John Michael Schmitz, Minnesota

RD3-064: RB- Zach Charbonnet, UCLA
RD3-065: DE- Tyree Wilson, Texas Tech
RD3-066: ILB- Jack Campbell, Iowa

RD4-100: SS- Jaylon Carlies, Missouri
RD4-101: RG- Zac Zinter, Michigan

RD6-175: DT- PJ Mustipher, Penn State
RD6-191: LB- Mohamoud Diabate, Utah
RD6-193: CB- DJ Turner, Michigan

RD7-216: SWR- Nathaniel Dell, Houston

Of course, these type of trades never materialize but I mostly use them as a way to force me to study new players. Anyhow, this Mock yielded a return of 7 offensive and 7 defensive players that could fill many needs at the beginning of Phase 2.5.

There’s one OL I would like to watch closely as well as a TE in the event they slip through the cracks.

OG- Cody Mauch, North Dakota State / Big farm boy who’s a hard working road grader who likes to destroy those in front of him and at the second level. Take a look at him when you get a chance.

TE- Kemari Averett, Bethune-Cookman / Big guy who used to play basketball. He’s roughly the same size as Darnell Washington but faster with a higher catch point. Adding both Washington and Averett to the TE group could make everyone not named Jordan Aikens expendable. Check this guy out if you get a chance.

Last edited:
I'm also a trench guy but there is one thing that can help our Oline big time and that is a better offensive scheme so that our QB has the ability to get rid of the ball quickly.

I'm also a trench guy but there is one thing that can help our Oline big time and that is a better offensive scheme so that our QB has the ability to get rid of the ball quickly.
I still think Mills is learning. I agree they aren’t making it easy for him with a quick game. But that also depends on how Mills is reading the defense, so again hard to say.

Next few games should shed some light on what’s really happening

I still think Mills is learning. I agree they aren’t making it easy for him with a quick game. But that also depends on how Mills is reading the defense, so again hard to say.

Good comment.
A simpler scheme that calls for just two quick reads with the first being a quick slant or out route would help. Intersperse those with a strong ground game would open up the intermediate to long passes more.
If Texans want to wait another season before pulling the trigger on a top pick for a replacement, then they must get a better ground game going to help him out.

Duplicate post

Better for this year or if they wait? For Mills or later?

Sorry but I can't get over a couple of those passes Mills made this past Sunday vs Vegas - I kid you not but MaHomes himself would have been proud of them.
The next few (two) games are gonna be tough but atleast they are at home.

Back