Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Dont you mean meaningless numbers?

I certainly wouldn't call DW4's play remarkable.

I would call his play fairly adequate.
That assessment really falls into the very small minority in NFL circles. I haven't heard an NFL analyst use your sentiment to describe Watson. They, like the majority feel Watson has been everything short of fantastic when playing on/with this dysfunctional Texans team and organization.

Watson's contract allows him the opportunity to see if the Texans can actually build a winning team around him.....if they can't get the job done Watson gave himself and the Texans an out in 2024 (5.4M Dead Money). He'd still be young enough to make a move and sign a meaningful contract.

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine
That assessment really falls into the very small minority in NFL circles. I haven't heard an NFL analyst use your sentiment to describe Watson. They, like the majority feel Watson has been everything short of fantastic when playing on/with this dysfunctional Texans team and organization.

Watson's contract allows him the opportunity to see if the Texans can actually build a winning team around him.....if they can't get the job done Watson gave himself and the Texans an out in 2024 (5.4M Dead Money). He'd still be young enough to make a move and sign a meaningful contract.
Thank you,

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

And gone he will be because I dont see the Texans being a contender within 3 yrs.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
That assessment really falls into the very small minority in NFL circles. I haven't heard an NFL analyst use your sentiment to describe ....

When was the last time you heard any of these talking heads talk negative about any player ? unless it was someone who got busted for peds or some personal conduct issue .... they talk good about the 55th guy on the roster.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Listening to Wade Smith a couple of days ago on the offensive line - (Mouth of the South) wasn't there . I'm pretty sure this was not the whole story, but Wade said he thought the main problem was the scheme. He said that it was far too complicated, and the only other team that uses it is New England. I do believe that part. He also said Max was beginning to look good toward the latter part of the year. He, (or someone else since), said that Nick Martin and Zach Fulton would both improve if they swapped positions. You know that Wade doesn't want to offend anyone here. I felt like he wanted to be honest, but he edited and filtered the info so much, that it wasn't really coherent - to me. But .... I'm all for a new scheme and center and right guard !

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Listening to Wade Smith a couple of days ago on the offensive line - (Mouth of the South) wasn't there . I'm pretty sure this was not the whole story, but Wade said he thought the main problem was the scheme. He said that it was far too complicated, and the only other team that uses it is New England. I do believe that part. He also said Max was beginning to look good toward the latter part of the year. He, (or someone else since), said that Nick Martin and Zach Fulton would both improve if they swapped positions. You know that Wade doesn't want to offend anyone here. I felt like he wanted to be honest, but he edited and filtered the info so much, that it wasn't really coherent - to me. But .... I'm all for a new scheme and center and right guard !
Yes sir, Wade has been saying this for the past 2-3years.

CWTexansFan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Contributor's Club
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Texans Storm Report (@PatrickStormTU) Tweeted:
Over the last few years, the #Texans have spent 3 first round picks, two 2nds and invested over $125M into the offensive line. Today the line consisted of 3 backups and David Johnson had his best ground hand of the season. Very confusing times.

Looking at @CWTexansFan and @banned1976's posts, with all of the backups playing, I wouldn't be surprised if they simplified the blocking scheme for this game and you saw the results in the running game. Another example of the Dilbert engineers on this coaching staff over complicating things and then simplifying when they don't have other options.

Last edited:

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Hoo Boy. If it stands the Dolphins will get the 3rd and 35th pick in 2021 from the Texans..

I can still hear the sound of the immortal Keith Jackson, broadcasting a Southwest Conference football game, punctuating a highly excited statement with …… Hoooo Boy ! What a great memory. Why don't we send that valuable left tackle back to Miami for our remaining 1st and 2nd rounders, and leave them the other 1st for a rental fee ?

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I actually think Heck didn't look that bad at RT today in his 1st start.

Hopefully he's the answer so Howard can move into RG. That would solve alot of the OL issues.
So what's Max Scharpings (our other high OL draft pick from last years Draft) status lately who seems to be conspicuously absent from game action or maybe I just missed him ? I dunno because I checked out the "HoustonTexans" Board site and he's listed as active ?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
So what's Max Scharpings (our other high OL draft pick from last years Draft) status lately who seems to be conspicuously absent from game action or maybe I just missed him ? I dunno because I checked out the "HoustonTexans" Board site and he's listed as active ?
He’s looking like a bust. But, let’s see what the next staff can do with Max.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He was at LG yesterday

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
He’s looking like a bust. But, let’s see what the next staff can do with Max.
Really because we need a redo all the way around on anything having to do with the offensive line.
I dunno maybe that are all as bad as they seem, but the next staff might uncover and produce some real talent among our offensive line line unit.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I'd be all in on keeping the current OL talent, add a veteran if possible, and draft a couple of interior lineman. Then very unlike OB.....this group knows they're going to be competing for starting and roster spots. The only OL getting a pass on this competition, Tunsil.....strictly by default. Texans cannot make the same mistake each Texans HC has made in the past, assuming their handpicked OL talent is good enough year in and year out....that's pure ego and stupidity rolled into one fat mistake.