Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

State of the O-line

Never said it was, BTW, if the best you can do in a debate is use this argument then you've lost the debate.

I do know what it takes to build a winner though and it starts with getting the best personnel possible. Just look at the teams that played the Pats in the last 2 SB's as a template for how things should be done. (Rams/Eagles)

Rams/Eagles both sucked for decades... you lose

Rams/Eagles both sucked for decades... you lose

I didn't know this was about losing, Are we really at this point? Pretty petty if you ask me.

The Eagles have been to the playoffs many times under Reid. Ever heard of the Greatest show on turf? The Rams spent $$$$ (Finally) and were successful, why? Because they have a new stadium they need to fill. I'm looking forward to seeing this stadium this season.

Bottom line is unless they change the way they acquire players and change their business model, there will be no parades in H-Town

League rules allow rookies to report a week before the veterans report next week. But I seem to recall the Texans had a rookie training camp, without pads, earlier this year. I don't know if that takes the place of the early reporting. There was nothing in Friday's Chronicle about the rookies reporting yesterday.

If the Texans don’t take advantage of that rule then it’s just more ineptitude.

I didn't know this was about losing, Are we really at this point? Pretty petty if you ask me.

The Eagles have been to the playoffs many times under Reid. Ever heard of the Greatest show on turf? The Rams spent $$$$ (Finally) and were successful, why? Because they have a new stadium they need to fill. I'm looking forward to seeing this stadium this season.

Bottom line is unless they change the way they acquire players and change their business model, there will be no parades in H-Town

There is so much truth in this post. I'm not sure that, heretofore, we have been all that interested in parades. Maybe Cal means to change that MO, and be more focused on Super Bowls ! The Pats have been the closest thing to a Dynasty, but there are a goodly number of teams that seem to be more dedicated, year in and year out, to winning everything. The Eagles are certainly one of those more focused and (committed to the ultimate goal) teams. Let's see .... the player they selected, even traded up to get, in the 1st round of the recent draft, is not even expected to start this year ? Well, one of us must have a faulty approach !

With training camp starting here are some thoughts about the OL:

- I've accepted the fact that Howard has ALL the tools but appears to need a reshaping of his body. (Bad weight)

- Scharping has the size and the technique but might not have the fastest feet. Players can succeed in the NFL with the first 2 things. Very excited for our rookies even if they've got a long way to go. (As do most rookies)

- " Kalil sucks. " he probably does but his worst year was still a huge upgrade at the LT position. If he's completely healed up by the time the season starts, then we might have a serviceable LT so don't count him out as our week 1 starter.

- Martin needs to rebound

- Rankins looks like he's in great shape. Good chance he pushes for a starting G position.

There is so much truth in this post. I'm not sure that, heretofore, we have been all that interested in parades. Maybe Cal means to change that MO, and be more focused on Super Bowls ! The Pats have been the closest thing to a Dynasty, but there are a goodly number of teams that seem to be more dedicated, year in and year out, to winning everything. The Eagles are certainly one of those more focused and (committed to the ultimate goal) teams. Let's see .... the player they selected, even traded up to get, in the 1st round of the recent draft, is not even expected to start this year ? Well, one of us must have a faulty approach !
. The correct approach was/is being used by the org that won a SB 2 years ago.

Just look at the teams that played the Pats in the last 2 SB's as a template for how things should be done. (Rams/Eagles)

Ah... I thought the common thread with those teams was that they didn't hire mediocre college coaches with no experience building any aspect of an NFL team as HC.

But I can see your point.

There is so much truth in this post. I'm not sure that, heretofore, we have been all that interested in parades.

Eh... up until recently we had a poster constantly criticize the Texans for not having any cap space. They spent all their money on mediocre draft picks 2nd contracts or underperforming FAs.

Last year was the first year the Texans had a chunk of change to do some FA shopping. They didn't.

This season they had even more, still did nothing. So it's only been the last couple of years you could say the Texans have shown reluctance to spend money on players.

Eh, before their SB season two years ago, the Eagles went 8 seasons (and had 4 coaches during that time) either missing the playoffs or losing in the WC game. They caught lightning in a bottle two seasons ago. They were mediocre to bad during those 8 seasons. There was no plan to build a champion in one off season.

And the Rams? They spent 12 seasons being a bad team and missing the playoffs before they developed into a good team two years ago.

Kudos to them on their successes, but no one around these parts is willing to spend a decade or so being a bad team in order to build a winner. We just like to point to teams that did and demand the Texans do it that way, just without all the losing and high draft picks.

I'm more than willing to take a step back to take 2 steps forward, particularly since the Texans aren't talented enough to win a SB next yr anyways.

A bad yr next yr may be the best thing to add talent needed to break the perpetual mediocrity. That's if the Texans had a GM to run next yrs draft.

I'm more than willing to take a step back to take 2 steps forward, particularly since the Texans aren't talented enough to win a SB next yr anyways.

A bad yr next yr may be the best thing to add talent needed to break the perpetual mediocrity. That's if the Texans had a GM to run next yrs draft.
When you say "next year", are you referring to the 2020 season?

This is exactly my point, being OK with one bad year when the franchises sited as examples went through a decade in the desert before reaching the promised land.

Would be interesting to know, outside of the Pats who are clearly the unique exception and not the rule, what teams we consider to be the teams to emulate that haven't gone through a significant low point in their franchise history in order to get where they are today.

When you say "next year", are you referring to the 2020 season?

11-5 & Division championship is not mediocrity.

11-5 & Division championship is not mediocrity.
It was lucky. Overall, OB is an 8-8 coach with one very lucky 11-5 season and one injury ravaged 4-12 season. Look at the one score wins last year and the one score losses the season before.

Eh, before their SB season two years ago, the Eagles went 8 seasons (and had 4 coaches during that time) either missing the playoffs or losing in the WC game. They caught lightning in a bottle two seasons ago. They were mediocre to bad during those 8 seasons. There was no plan to build a champion in one off season.

And the Rams? They spent 12 seasons being a bad team and missing the playoffs before they developed into a good team two years ago.

Kudos to them on their successes, but no one around these parts is willing to spend a decade or so being a bad team in order to build a winner. We just like to point to teams that did and demand the Texans do it that way, just without all the losing and high draft picks.

Not to mention there are a number of teams who have spent $$$$ bringing in high dollar FAs & malcontents who have experienced none of the success those teams have recently.

There's no "right way" only the way that works.

That is not to say I approve of the way the Texans have operated to little success.

Not to mention there are a number of teams who have spent $$$$ bringing in high dollar FAs & malcontents who have experienced none of the success those teams have recently.

That is not to say I approve of the way the Texans have operated to little success.

Agreed. Just kind of tired of hearing about how the current hot team does it and the Texans don't. It is cherry picking at its finest.

How about trying to emulate orgs that are successful and don't have a GOAt HC/QB.

Agreed. Just kind of tired of hearing about how the current hot team does it and the Texans don't. It is cherry picking at its finest.

My boy Steel been cherry picking for the lingest. Bwhahaha started with how the Jaguars were doing everything right. They eventually had that one good year only to fall back to dumpster juice in the following season.

There is no one right way .... there is no one wrong way. There a multitude of each, with variations galore. They asked McVay what the secret to his almost overnight success was. He said that he studied a lot of tape on, and had a lot of meetings, with the players when he arrived .... determining what they could and could not do well .... then constructed a plan to employ the greatest strengths, and avoid the greatest weaknesses of his players. What a novel idea. I think O'Brien thinks he knows the best scheme .... regardless of his personnel !

There is no one right way .... there is no one wrong way. There a multitude of each, with variations galore. They asked McVay what the secret to his almost overnight success was. He said that he studied a lot of tape on, and had a lot of meetings, with the players when he arrived .... determining what they could and could not do well .... then constructed a plan to employ the greatest strengths, and avoid the greatest weaknesses of his players. What a novel idea. I think O'Brien thinks he knows the best scheme .... regardless of his personnel !

I don't think either way is wrong. Develop a system for your talent. Find talent that fits your system. OB is clearly doing the latter. And I don't have a problem with that philosophy. Other than he needs to F***ing decide what his system is...

How about trying to emulate orgs that are successful and don't have a GOAt HC/QB.

Fair statement. What teams are we talking about?

You have wanted to emulate Saints, Seahawks and Chiefs, all with great coaches and QB's. Currently it is the Eagles and Rams, both of which have good-and-might-possibly-turn-great head coaches and QB's.

It was lucky. Overall, OB is an 8-8 coach with one very lucky 11-5 season and one injury ravaged 4-12 season. Look at the one score wins last year and the one score losses the season before.
So an injury ravaged season resulting in large part to a 4-12 record which suggests lots of bad luck in a single season. Funny how that luck thing average out over time
isn't it ?
So if there's no such thing as a moral victory after a loss then why is a
victory any less meaningfull if it included some good breaks ?

So an injury ravaged season resulting in large part to a 4-12 record which suggests lots of bad luck in a single season. Funny how that luck thing average out over time
isn't it ?
So if there's no such thing as a moral victory after a loss then why is a
victory any less meaningfull if it included some good breaks ?
Hence 3 consecutive mediocre 9-7 seasons.

Hence 3 consecutive mediocre 9-7 seasons.

Man, tough crowd today. First it's complaining that a 12-4 season would barely be an improvement over last year, and now complaining that three straight winning seasons is something ordinary and less than average.

Man, tough crowd today. First it's complaining that a 12-4 season would barely be an improvement over last year, and now complaining that three straight winning seasons is something ordinary and less than average.

Win a SB or 2 and watch how things quickly change.

If 9-7 excites you, good for you. It is exceedingly ordinary and average. Not many 9-7 regular season teams have hoisted the :trophy:
Maybe I would think differently if I trusted the coaching staff more. I have no faith in OB getting better.

If 9-7 excites you, good for you. It is exceedingly ordinary and average. Not many 9-7 regular season teams have hoisted the :trophy:
Maybe I would think differently if I trusted the coaching staff more. I have no faith in OB getting better.

Brother, don't be SteelB and start telling people what they said. I never said it excited me. I said that something mediocre is considered ordinary and below average. Multiple winning seasons is a row is above average by every statistical definition.

If we want to argue that the Texans have had limited success, then I would agree with you. I have been frustrated with the inability to get to the next level of success. But these conversations are getting silly about what is considered bad. There are enough 4-12 and 2-14 seasons to talk about bad football instead of trying hard to find ways to delegitimize the little success this organization has accomplished.

& that's football. Miracle after miracle until the game is won. Not just enough to make it close. Enough to win.
That's not dynasty, impose your will. Sure Emmitt was great, but he had a largely low drafted OL, great coaches, fantastic support @ FB, TE 'cuz yes they made QB & WR possible as well.

420x0.jpg

First-round draft pick Tytus Howard (71) figures to garner plenty of attention during Texans training camp when practices begin Thursday.
Photo: Brett Coomer, Houston Chronicle / Staff photographer

Competition at left tackle

When veteran Matt Kalil is ready, there will be three players competing for starting jobs at left tackle. Kalil, who missed last season at Carolina with a knee injury, spent the offseason rehabbing. If he's ready to go after missing two of the last three seasons, he'll compete against returning starter Julién Davenport and first-round pick Tytus Howard. In his second season, Davenport struggled as a first-time starter and should be better this season. Davenport also has played right tackle. If he's not starting, he could be the swing tackle who's active on game days because he can play both positions.

Howard could start at guard

Offensive line coach Mike Devlin likes for his players to play multiple positions. Versatility is the reason Greg Mancz is playing in his fifth season. He can play center or either guard position and is the swing lineman inside because of his ability to move effortlessly between positions. Tytus Howard, the first-round pick, played left tackle and left guard in the offseason program. He impressed the coaches with how well he moved between the positions. If a left tackle like Julién Davenport or Matt Kalil plays well enough to earn the starting job, Howard could end up at guard, where Senio Kelemete is the returning starter on the left side. Martinas Rankin, last year's third-round pick, also is competing for Kelemete's starting job

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...(Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Kalil impresses on first day

Left tackle Matt Kalil, signed as a free agent after being released by Carolina, has impressed his coaches and teammates. After missing two of the last three seasons with the Panthers, including last season with a knee injury, Kalil was brought along slowly in the offseason program. That strategy seems to have paid off.

Bill O'Brien said Kalil, 30 and entering his eighth season, has done an outstanding job of learning the system. He's smart, experienced and has ideal size (6-7, 315) for his position. If Kalil can continue to make progress and earn a starting job, it would give offensive line coach Mike Devlin flexibility with first-round pick Tytus Howard, who could start at left guard. Since the offseason program began, Howard has been learning both positions, and Kalil has been helping him.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...(Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Kalil impresses on first day

Left tackle Matt Kalil, signed as a free agent after being released by Carolina, has impressed his coaches and teammates. After missing two of the last three seasons with the Panthers, including last season with a knee injury, Kalil was brought along slowly in the offseason program. That strategy seems to have paid off.

Bill O'Brien said Kalil, 30 and entering his eighth season, has done an outstanding job of learning the system. He's smart, experienced and has ideal size (6-7, 315) for his position. If Kalil can continue to make progress and earn a starting job, it would give offensive line coach Mike Devlin flexibility with first-round pick Tytus Howard, who could start at left guard. Since the offseason program began, Howard has been learning both positions, and Kalil has been helping him.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/texans/article/John-McClain-s-five-takeaways-from-Day-1-of-14134690.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral
What's more likely to happen is Howard will waste time learning LG, Kalil will get first-team reps at LT, then right before week 1 Kalil will get injured forcing Howard to slide to LT and he will have wasted valuable time in TC learning a position he won't even be playing. #Texans

Back