Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Sounds like Leach is gone...signs with Baltimore

Isn't McClain looking to get more carries? He might not want to come here just to be a battering ram.

I don't think that is accurate.

They have a couple mistakes forth texans too. They don't have diles with the rams and I think wevstill have Jason Allen, right?
Yeah, I just looked all that up on other sites. Sorry for the misinfo.

McClain from the Ravens, Kuhn from the Packers, and Vickers from the Browns.

I'd like Kuhn or McClain. Not sure about Vickers.

I don't think those guys will get paid a whole lot less than leach. They probably don't blow people up like leach, but overall they are more versatile.

I'm surprised gb has not brought Kuhn back.

And I think McClain sees himself as a slash type player. I think he wants to carry the ball.

SO who is going to try and stop Leech come the time we play the ravens ????

Demco ???? Cushing ???

IMo both will be pancaked if they try to get in his way

Hopefully they know tricks in how to beat Leech Maybe Speed can win u know like juke around him or something

McClain from the Ravens, Kuhn from the Packers, and Vickers from the Browns.

I'd like Kuhn or McClain. Not sure about Vickers.

I'd be okay with Vickers or Kuhn. I don't think McClain will be here for three reasons:

1. If they wouldn't give Vonta 3 years $11 Million, I don't think they'll give another FB anything close to that, and McClain will probably be too expensive.

2. McClain is on record as saying he wants more carries, and with the return of Tate, and re-signing Ward, I don't think either the Texans or McClain will view it as a good fit.

3. (and granted - this is somewhat a regurgitation of the second point) Vonta's success was based on him being a blocker 95% of the time. If you're simply looking for a blocking fullback, why pay McClain for having skills that you don't really want anyway?

If McClain's price is lower than I think it's going to be, and he's genuinely willing to reduce his carry expectations, then I'm okay with him too, but I don't think that will be the case.

Eh I honestly don't want any of the FB's whose name I might recognize (well, maybe Kuhn). Most of the FB's people know nowadays are statbacks, which was a completely different skill set than Leach, I remember not knowing anything about Leach when he signed and I want that feeling again, or go with Casey since as a H-Back he provides nearly the same exact type of FB we'd get out of McClain, Weaver, Kuhn

Doubt we sign another FB since it seems we are set on Casey. Texans aren't going to throw someone in the way of Casey.

Bummer but not totally unexpected and if the Texans aren't just saying things to smooth it over, perhaps VL really did price himself out of the Texans' reach. If it came right down to it and the choices were getting Joseph & Manning or keeping Leach and only getting one of the defensive backs...I say we needed more help in the backfield than the running game.

Frankly, James Casey looks every bit as intimidating as VL and that was before he bulked up another 10 lbs. Not to discredit VL at all but James Casey at 6'3'' 250 isn't a wet noodle. I'm pumped to see what the dude can do and have been since he got drafted. He's athletic, can run, has much better hands than VL and doesn't limit playcalling or how deceptive they can be. Foster needs to trust Casey the way he did Leach because despite how you view either FB, FOSTER is the one carrying the rock and that was the most difference made between having a **** running game and then having a league leading rusher. VL was a nice Robin but FOSTER is Batman.

Leach is the enemy now. What a fitting team to go to.

I'd be okay with Vickers or Kuhn. I don't think McClain will be here for three reasons:

1. If they wouldn't give Vonta 3 years $11 Million, I don't think they'll give another FB anything close to that, and McClain will probably be too expensive.

2. McClain is on record as saying he wants more carries, and with the return of Tate, and re-signing Ward, I don't think either the Texans or McClain will view it as a good fit.

3. (and granted - this is somewhat a regurgitation of the second point) Vonta's success was based on him being a blocker 95% of the time. If you're simply looking for a blocking fullback, why pay McClain for having skills that you don't really want anyway?

If McClain's price is lower than I think it's going to be, and he's genuinely willing to reduce his carry expectations, then I'm okay with him too, but I don't think that will be the case.

You're making the assumption that we need a FB to do exactly what Leach did and no more. I wouldn't mind giving some carries to the FB because it gives you the ability to do more misdirection. Both McClain and Kuhn give you a dimension that Leach doesn't have.

Granted, it might not be as many carries as McClain would like but still...

Bummer but not totally unexpected and if the Texans aren't just saying things to smooth it over, perhaps VL really did price himself out of the Texans' reach. If it came right down to it and the choices were getting Joseph & Manning or keeping Leach and only getting one of the defensive backs...I say we needed more help in the backfield than the running game.

Frankly, James Casey looks every bit as intimidating as VL and that was before he bulked up another 10 lbs. Not to discredit VL at all but James Casey at 6'3'' 250 isn't a wet noodle. I'm pumped to see what the dude can do and have been since he got drafted. He's athletic, can run, has much better hands than VL and doesn't limit playcalling or how deceptive they can be. Foster needs to trust Casey the way he did Leach because despite how you view either FB, FOSTER is the one carrying the rock and that was the most difference made between having a **** running game and then having a league leading rusher. VL was a nice Robin but FOSTER is Batman.

Leach is the enemy now. What a fitting team to go to.

This.

Makes little sense to bring in McClain or Kuhn when you have Casey waiting in the wings. He will cheaper and probably just as good.

If you are looking for a fb that will be able to take some carries, I'm not sure why you wouldn't give that opportunity to Casey.

Folks acting like Casey is some soft dude are crazy. You don't get the nickname Thor by being soft.

My guess is that the offense will become a bit more versatile now.

This.

Makes little sense to bring in McClain or Kuhn when you have Casey waiting in the wings. He will cheaper and probably just as good.

If you are looking for a fb that will be able to take some carries, I'm not sure why you wouldn't give that opportunity to Casey.

Folks acting like Casey is some soft dude are crazy. You don't get the nickname Thor by being soft.

This is the best thing about Casey. Dude is a TE he'll be able to come out of the backfield and really catch. If his run blocking is average I think he'll help the team a lot.

Our running game will lose the smash mouth capability we really only used in game 1 last season. With Casey, we will transition fully to a finesse offense which is our bread and butter. Expect Casey to become a reliable safety net for Schaub.

This is the best thing about Casey. Dude is a TE he'll be able to come out of the backfield and really catch. If his run blocking is average I think he'll help the team a lot.

Honestly I think he'll be an above average blocker. People are over reacting to this leach stuff IMO.

Leach leaves, Arian is doomed, Casey is not tough enough, no one else can block well from that position.

Jameel cook and Moran Norris did ok. I think Casey will be alright.

Very disappointed, but, football in Houston will go on! If Vonte had wanted to stay in H-town he would have stayed. I feel sure the Texans did everything they could to keep him, but, it was all about the money, not football, not your teammates, not dedication to the team that gave you a chance in the first place. Don't let the door hit you in the ass Vonte, you are now the enemy!! I hope our D shuts down Ray Rice like a rat in a trap!! That'll show V who he should have played for!!

What if we are looking at this wrong?

What if we are going to see more 2 back sets?

Foster & Ward at the same time? they can both block for Matt... They can both catch out of the backfield... they can both run the ZBS....

:fans:

Eh I honestly don't want any of the FB's whose name I might recognize (well, maybe Kuhn). Most of the FB's people know nowadays are statbacks, which was a completely different skill set than Leach, I remember not knowing anything about Leach when he signed and I want that feeling again, or go with Casey since as a H-Back he provides nearly the same exact type of FB we'd get out of McClain, Weaver, Kuhn

People didn't know Leach's name before he got here, because there was no reason for anyone to know his name. He'd been in Greenbay for three years & started 2006 with NO.

He didn't do anything worth knowing till he got here.

Going to miss Leach, he was one of our most consistent player for a long time.
I just have a feeling Casey won't be able to bring the fire that Vonta had, hope I am wrong but I just don't see it.

I mean 11 million 3 years we couldn't do that? :/

James Casey isn’t a natural fullback. He’s not coming off an All-Pro Season either.

But with Vonta Leach gone to Baltimore, Casey will be first in line to take over work that was so crucial for Arian Foster in his 1,616-yard rushing season.

Casey could be great and it could work.

But I’m skeptical and I think they should shop for a cheaper option, perhaps Heath Evans, Ahmard Hall or Lawrence Vickers.

Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. is a big fan of Leach. So his answer to my question about Casey as the Texans’ primary lead blocker didn’t surprise me.

“I don't like it" WIlliamson said. "I like Casey for sure-because he can do many things well, but he isn't Leach. Leach is like Lorenzo Neal -- just a pure hammer who strikes with fantastic leverage and power. Casey isn't built like that or nearly as powerful. Casey would offer more, in that you could move him around pre-snap and throw him the ball more. But there would be a huge drop-off as a pure lead blocker. Leach is a stud in that department.

“They NEED to find a hammer fullback. There are a lot of them around -- even rookies. They are all very one-dimensional, but so what? They need that guy in that O.”

Perhaps one of the team’s rookie free agents will fit the bill. Zac Pauga from Colorado State is listed as a fullback while Bubba Bartlett from Carroll College is listed as a fullback/tight end.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/25818/williamson-texans-need-hammer-fb

NOOOOOOO!

I wasn't believing that they wouldn't be able to resign Vonta. I'm pretty annoyed/worried that we're going to be without Vonta next year.

Ahmad Hall from the Tit's is a FA..Right in there with Leach in terms of blocking

Now this would be a good pickup. Especially off a division rival.

As for Casey, well I believe him going to FB is best for the team. He will have to beat out to UDFAs so he will have his work cut out for him. This also means that TE Garrett Graham who we drafted last year will get to show how good he is.

Even though Casey is strong (benched 28 reps at the combine), and I've seen him lay some hard hits on special teams, he's too tall for fullback. That position requires a low center of gravity to launch upwards into the block. He's going to have to hit guys head on. But I do like the idea of having an H-back.

This.

Folks acting like Casey is some soft dude are crazy.
You don't get the nickname Thor by being soft.

He's white. Be honest, if Vonta or Casey were running at you, who would you be more scared of? ;)

It's too bad to see Vonta go, he really brought a physical force and toughness to our "finesse" line--whether you buy that description or not. This was a cap based decision the team made and it's sucks to to lose a fan favorite, but I'm glad to see reports that it was done as classy as it can done.

Vonta thought he was more marketable than the Texans offer indicated.
He tested it and was right.
He offered the Texans a chance to match the offer.
The Texans made a decision not to match due to cap concerns and their own valuation.
Vonta moves on to another team after thanking the organization, coaches, teammates, and fans.

I hope him the best, so long as he's not playing the Texans.

Unfortunately, this is how business should be done in the NFL. Now the pressure is back on the coaches to find a cheaper replacement. If they do it's a win-win resolution.

He's white. Be honest, if Vonta or Casey were running at you, who would you be more scared of? ;)

Honestly neither one. I'm 6'4 280 and in good shape.

Not saying i would flatten either one, but I wouldn't be scared.

And I'm black so other black people don't scare me.

Lol, you might scare someone though!

I'm 5'7" and 200 pounds and in OK shape for a guy my age.

I get scared when I see any grown person running at me.

Maybe Thor can be our Dallas Clark?

Sometimes, a guy like James Casey needs a void in order to step up his game. Out of the shadows and into the spotlight. Sink or swim.

And I've seen Thor obliterate a defender on a run to the left side where it set up a Foster TD.

I think Vickers has to sign on the cheap.....OR, Vickers is being used by us to try and get Ty Warren to take the minimum.

Never know what games are going on.

You win some ( Joseph & manning)
you lose some (leach)
overall I think were still ahead of the game but vonta will be missed. The big boy was nasty and he liked plowing the road. I wish leach well except when he plays against us.

Back