Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Something Different To Read-Nothing New Though

Good find coffee

How the Texans got here

Let's take a quick look back at the highs and lows of the 2018 season:

The highs:

-- Beating the host Colts in overtime to help kick-start the season. The Texans were 0-3 at that point. We'll address that in a moment.

-- Johnathan Joseph's pick-six to help beat the Bills at home in Week 6. Sounded like the roof was going to come off the place during that play. The Texans leveled up to 3-3 with that win and then won at Jacksonville the following week.

-- Deshaun Watson rallies to give the Texans a lead late in Philadelphia in Week 16. I know that it ultimately ended in a loss to the Eagles. But the moxie displayed by Watson showed that he is going to be a great quarterback.

The lows:

-- Starting the season 0-3. The Texans suffered losses at New England and Tennessee and then dropped the home opener to the Giants somehow. There was a lot of concern about how the season was going to unfold, but (spoiler alert) the Texans were fine.

-- Getting routed by the Colts in the Wild Card Round.Andrew Luck and Co. jumped out to a 21-0 halftime lead and you never got the sense that they were going to lose.

ANALYSIS
< PREVIOUS
Published: July 1, 2019 at 01:33 p.m.
Updated: July 1, 2019 at 03:10 p.m.
State of the Franchise: Elusive playoff run staring down Texans
0ap2000000334694.jpg

Adam Rank
NFL.com Writer
+Follow on Twitter
facebook_icon.svg

twitter_icon.svg

whatsapp_icon.svg

Print

Where does your franchise stand heading into 2019? Adam Rank will set the table by providing a State of the Franchise look at all 32 teams over the next few weeks, zeroing in on the key figures to watch and setting the stakes for the season to come.

Members of the Texans organization, fans of the team around the world and those who wish J.J. Watt would purchase Whataburger.

JJ Watt

✔@JJWatt

https://twitter.com/JJWatt/status/1139592784715931648

Ok, I say we all chip in and buy Whataburger back. Make honey butter chicken biscuits available all day, add kolaches to the menu and change nothing else. Especially not the ketchup. https://twitter.com/austin360/status/1139577309252521984 …

Austin 360

✔@austin360

BREAKING: Texas chain Whataburger sold to Chicago investment firm https://atxne.ws/2WJYgRK

12:57 PM - Jun 14, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

31K people are talking about this

What a time to be alive in Texas. Not because of Whataburger. That sounds like a drag. But how about this Texans football team? Honestly, this is the best time for Texans fans. In Deshaun Watson and DeAndre Hopkins, you have the best tag-team since native son "Stone Cold" Steve Austin teamed up with Brian Pillman. And I know Pillman wasn't from Texas, but let's just move on.

How the Texans got here

Let's take a quick look back at the highs and lows of the 2018 season:

The highs:

-- Beating the host Colts in overtime to help kick-start the season. The Texans were 0-3 at that point. We'll address that in a moment.

-- Johnathan Joseph's pick-six to help beat the Bills at home in Week 6. Sounded like the roof was going to come off the place during that play. The Texans leveled up to 3-3 with that win and then won at Jacksonville the following week.

-- Deshaun Watson rallies to give the Texans a lead late in Philadelphia in Week 16. I know that it ultimately ended in a loss to the Eagles. But the moxie displayed by Watson showed that he is going to be a great quarterback.

The lows:

-- Starting the season 0-3. The Texans suffered losses at New England and Tennessee and then dropped the home opener to the Giants somehow. There was a lot of concern about how the season was going to unfold, but (spoiler alert) the Texans were fine.

-- Getting routed by the Colts in the Wild Card Round.Andrew Luck and Co. jumped out to a 21-0 halftime lead and you never got the sense that they were going to lose.

2019 VIPs

Head coach: Bill O'Brien. "We've done some good things over the years, but not enough to be where we want to be."

That statement was made last month by O'Brien during his first press conference since the firing of general manager Brian Gaine, who was dismissed after the draft. Which apparently is a new thing in the NFL. Copycat league, I tell you.

But I thought it was an interesting thing for O'Brien to say, especially when you look at his tenure as coach of the Texans. Houston has won the AFC South in three of the last four seasons and went 11-5 last year. Which is good. But it was the first time the Texans cracked the nine-win barrier under O'Brien. He is now 1-3 in the playoffs and has never led Houston to the AFC Championship Game.

So, it's obviously good. But is it good enough? You wonder, with all of the changes at the GM position (O'Brien will be working with his third GM in six seasons) and such, how much longer will good but not good enough cut it?

Quarterback: Deshaun Watson. Quarterback had been a trouble spot for the Texans for quite some time before Watson showed up in 2017. The Texans would have these top-10 defenses but go to the playoffs with QBs like Brian Hoyer, T.J. Yates and Brock Osweiler. And I don't have to tell you how that worked out. I mean, they went to Gillette in the 2016 Divisional Round and trailed the Pats by just four points at halftime. I love comic books, but even I couldn't suspend reality long enough to believe the Texans were going to pull off the upset. But now you have Watson, one of the best young quarterbacks in the NFL. He might get overshadowed by reigning MVP Patrick Mahomes (who was in his same draft class), but Watson is just as important to his franchise. The Texans' offense scored 38 touchdowns last year. Watson accounted for 31 of them.

And yeah, it was a pretty disappointing finish to last season, losing to the Colts in the Wild Card Round after you won the division. But the quarterback position has never been in better shape in franchise history. You have to be excited. I insist on it.

I can't quite make out the icons, are those Facebook and Twitter - I wish they were bigger so I could tell.

Like the way the images blow up to some kind of ridiculous size on the Texas Home Site on my iPad.....makes visiting the site impossible. Been like that for the start of 2 seasons now.

Back