Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

So our GM position is vacant? (Warning: this is a time sink)

Yeah... It'd make a LOT of sense to retain Clowney... HOW we are going to when he hasn't even signed his FIRST Franchise Tag is
the problem... You keep speaking about tagging him a second time when the problem is that he hasn't signed his FIRST...

Or say he walks... AND GOES TO THE COLTS!?

No no no wait... Let's say he just stays in AFC... and we only have to worry
about him IF we make the playoffs and possibly see him at the AFC Championship game also

Sending him to NFC!?... NAH!.. Definitely not smart!

Ah, that's where your confusion comes in. When I said just retain him and sign him or tag him again, I meant retain him (this year(2019) - again even if he doesn't sign his tag, we still hold his rights for next season), and sign him or tag him (next year(2020)).

Really? because you kept saying "Tag him after this season"

It seems like your response is based on a Franchise Tag that isn't even signed yet!

Again....we would still hold his rights next year even in the event he doesn't sign his franchise tag this year. He doesn't just become a FA if he waits until the 2020 season and doesn't play this year.

Dallas has to sign Cooper and Dak... Jerry already locked up Jaylen Smith for 5 yrs...

If the Cowboys were going to have to jeopardize anyones contract in order to sign Clowney... It'd be Smiths and he's signed already!

Yeah... It'd make a LOT of sense to retain Clowney... HOW we are going to when he hasn't even signed his FIRST Franchise Tag is
the problem... You keep speaking about tagging him a second time when the problem is that he hasn't signed his FIRST...

Or say he walks... AND GOES TO THE COLTS!?

No no no wait... Let's say he just stays in AFC... and we only have to worry
about him IF we make the playoffs and possibly see him at the AFC Championship game also

Sending him to NFC!?... NAH!.. Definitely not smart!

See my other responses about tagging Clowney again and retaining him. (It's possible....you just don't know it)

Who cares if Clowney went to the Colts? We only play them twice a year. They've had our number for our entire existence without having Clowney.

Every team at some point will likely have a star player play for another team and have to go up against that former player. I don't understand why you're acting as if Clowney playing against the Texans is some random occurrence that just never happens in the NFL where an athlete plays against their former team.

I'm just going to respond to your other message here because it's so jumbled, I'm having to decipher what you're responding with:

You're right that I don't know what Clowney would do....which is why I responded that (I) find it unlikely he would....although I believe I said it wasn't impossible....did you miss that part?

I noted that our <new> GM could/would bid for his services, did I not?

Of course I don't know exactly what Clowney is looking for. Last time I looked in the mirror and my bank account, I wasn't JD. However, this is a message board and YOU put out some ridiculous trade scenario and I responded to it. Not with absolutes, but with what (I) think about it. That's how this works.

As to your "SCENARIOS" post:

There has been nothing close to a H. Walker trade compensation in the modern salary cap era. Again, not impossible but highly improbable.
Terry Bradshaw & Joe Montana each have 4 SB rings. That was in the 70's and 80's/90's. It's not wild to think that there might be a QB someday that would have topped that.
Basically, you drew a blank and tried to throw out some random scenarios that I addressed above.

Who cares if Clowney went to the Colts? We only play them twice a year. They've had our number for our entire existence without having Clowney.QUOTE]

Sending Clowney to a team that we have to play twice a year EVERY YEAR while simultaneously having a BAD Offensive Line...
not too smart... especially when we already have our designated Franchise QB

All the other stuff you said is just rambling...

Again....we would still hold his rights next year even in the event he doesn't sign his franchise tag this year. He doesn't just become a FA if he waits until the 2020 season and doesn't play this year.

idk but we have to focus on what' going on now with the clowney situattion

Last edited:
idk but we have to focus on what' going on now with the clowney situattion

Of course we have to focus on this year. What don't you know? I'm just giving you information that you seem to be confused about. It is a FACT that IF Clowney is not traded AND Clowney does not sign the Franchise Tender this year, that his player rights still belong to the Texans. The Texans can choose to release/sign/trade him for the 2020 season, but he doesn't just become a FA because he didn't sign the Franchise Tag for 2019.

You deleted or changed what I was originally responding to, but you said something along the lines of "Clowney WILL be a FA next year if he doesn't sign the FT this year". I'll bring this back on you: How do you know he "WILL" be a FA? That's dealing with an absolute, which you've mistakenly accused me of several times. It's quite possible the Texans would choose to release him and let him hit FA, however, that would be up to the team to decide.

Of course we have to focus on this year. What don't you know? I'm just giving you information that you seem to be confused about. It is a FACT that IF Clowney is not traded AND Clowney does not sign the Franchise Tender this year, that his player rights still belong to the Texans. The Texans can choose to release/sign/trade him for the 2020 season, but he doesn't just become a FA because he didn't sign the Franchise Tag for 2019.

You deleted or changed what I was originally responding to, but you said something along the lines of "Clowney WILL be a FA next year if he doesn't sign the FT this year". I'll bring this back on you: How do you know he "WILL" be a FA? That's dealing with an absolute, which you've mistakenly accused me of several times. It's quite possible the Texans would choose to release him and let him hit FA, however, that would be up to the team to decide.

You have to consider the source...

Sending Clowney to a team that we have to play twice a year EVERY YEAR while simultaneously having a BAD Offensive Line...
not too smart... especially when we already have our designated Franchise QB

All the other stuff you said is just rambling...

I didn't say it was smart. I said "who cares whether Clowney plays for the Colts", or any other team for that matter. AJ Bouye currently plays for the Jags and we play them 2x a year. Andre Johnson played for the Titans whom we play 2x a year. (Albeit this was not in the prime of his career).

Clowney is a much better run stuffer than he is a pass rusher. That's not to say he's a bad pass rusher. However, Watson could help out the OL by getting rid of the ball earlier on a lot of his throws. He has a bad tendency of holding on just a bit too long.

It's only "rambling" to you because you don't seem to understand the issue.

I didn't say it was smart. I said "who cares whether Clowney plays for the Colts", or any other team for that matter. AJ Bouye currently plays for the Jags and we play them 2x a year. Andre Johnson played for the Titans whom we play 2x a year. (Albeit this was not in the prime of his career).

WR DOESN'T HIT THE QUARTERBACK!

and a HIT from JaDeveon Clowney has more potential to change momentum in a game and
Injury a player than a hit from a A.J. Bouye! ONE HIT!

It's only "rambling" to you because you don't seem to understand the issue.

It's "rambling" to me for the fact it's an argument based on simple he said he said speculation...

No point in talking on that!

As to the opinion of me drawing a blank...

What part of me typing a response to your question equivalates to me drawing a blank?

I already told you examples, your response to me was that it wouldn't be unprecedented.

but Terry bradshaw and Joe Montana DON'T have so many SB rings, the SB rings don't fit on one hand!

There has been nothing close to a H. Walker trade compensation in the modern salary cap era. Again, not impossible but highly improbable.

Also, no matter who the HC/GM are here....even if Clowney hit the market....the owner is still the same....so Clowney knows incompetence will follow. Can you show me any real life scenario where a STAR player left the team that drafted him under a less than ideal situation.....that team changed a HC/GM the next year.....somehow that STAR player is available the next year.......and RESIGNED with the team he was away from for 1 year only? It may take you awhile to find this scenario

Basically, you drew a blank and tried to throw out some random scenarios that I addressed above.

So your pretty much admitting that trades, like the Herschel Walker trade, are not impossible.

Trades like the Saints trading their ENTIRE draft for Runningback Ricky Williams

Your idea is to tag a player who heldout on signing the Franchise Tag the season prior?.. What's to stop a club from tagging a player every season for 2+ years if he never even signed ONE Franchise Tag?

This is nonsense. No Belichick coach has ever gone on to do anything more than destroy a franchise. What we really need right now is a Belichick GM!!!!

Nicholas "Nick" Caserio (born December 27, 1975) is an American football executive who is the director of player personnel for the New England Patriots of the National Football League (NFL). In 2007, he served as wide receivers coach for the Patriots squad to whom Tom Brady threw a NFL-record 50 touchdown passes which was broken in 2013 by Peyton Manning with 55 touchdowns.

There aren't enough expletives for how stupid this is. The smartest coach in the NFL, famous for building talent, famous for huge hits and misses in the draft, and notorious for not having a single successful coach to come from his tree. His current highest ranking are our failed qb coach Bill O'Brien who recently preseason destroyed the current favorite BB disciple of the Lions (who look like the Lions). Holy damn that's just plain stupid, the Patriot's moves are notoriously terrible, because Belichick does everything, which makes the incompetence of the coaches and management around him look brilliant. SERIOUSLY! This has been going on for dang near two decades and it's still somehow new. TWO UFCKING DECADES! HOW HAVE THE BELICHICK DISCIPLES DONE IN TWO UFCKING DECADES? ISHTUFCK!!!!

I'm convinced the Patriot coaches are sent to destroy other organizations. But the Lions already sucked. :kitten:

We'll see Vrabel does in Tennessee though.

This is nonsense. No Belichick coach has ever gone on to do anything more than destroy a franchise. What we really need right now is a Belichick GM!!!!

Nicholas "Nick" Caserio (born December 27, 1975) is an American football executive who is the director of player personnel for the New England Patriots of the National Football League (NFL). In 2007, he served as wide receivers coach for the Patriots squad to whom Tom Brady threw a NFL-record 50 touchdown passes which was broken in 2013 by Peyton Manning with 55 touchdowns.

There aren't enough expletives for how stupid this is. The smartest coach in the NFL, famous for building talent, famous for huge hits and misses in the draft, and notorious for not having a single successful coach to come from his tree. His current highest ranking are our failed qb coach Bill O'Brien who recently preseason destroyed the current favorite BB disciple of the Lions (who look like the Lions). Holy damn that's just plain stupid, the Patriot's moves are notoriously terrible, because Belichick does everything, which makes the incompetence of the coaches and management around him look brilliant. SERIOUSLY! This has been going on for dang near two decades and it's still somehow new. TWO UFCKING DECADES! HOW HAVE THE BELICHICK DISCIPLES DONE IN TWO UFCKING DECADES? ISHTUFCK!!!!

Why would Nick come here when he doesn't have a 1st round pick until 2022 OR a second rounder?

O'Brien is gonna be out the door and he pulled a move that most GMs pull when they know their gonna get canned

He sold out our future!

Why would Nick come here when he doesn't have a 1st round pick until 2022 OR a second rounder?

O'Brien is gonna be out the door and he pulled a move that most GMs pull when they know their gonna get canned

He sold out our future!

Because he's as dumb as O'Brien, McDaniels and Patricia.

These dudes are good at one specific job but in terms of actually seeing the whole picture, they suck.

It's interesting to look at Josh McDaniels tenure in Denver. It was crazy and screwed up just like OBrien here. Remember him trading 3 picks for tebow? Hilariously bad talent evaluation just like OBrien.

"The best thing I can recollect is that he was too much of a control freak. My hope is that he understands Ballard will have equal if not greater powers and forms a productive relationship with him.

The biggest issue with Josh McDaniels’ first go-round as an NFL head coach came down to power. Denver Owner Pat Bowlen gave McDaniels executive/personnel authority, which was too much for the inexperienced and immature coach.

During his tenure as head coach, McDaniels alienated every player in the locker room and most of his coaching staff, to the point that nobody was willing to fight for him."

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1...what-went-wrong-with-josh-mcdaniels-in-denver

So does belichick just hire insane people and train them in one area so they are guaranteed to never be able to take the Patriot model elsewhere?

Much has happened since the last post here and even more since my original post. Curious to see what consensus there may be among us fans as to how the Texans proceed in building their team. I believe that we are a really good team that is probably a few pieces away from bein legit super bowl contenders (as opposed to the surprise it would be if they got to the big game this year). Anyway, here is my take, what is yours Texanstalk?

2019 is about evaluating the roster that we have as I believe this is the year our window opens for the SB. Primarily I want to see how our remade O-line performs and see who among our secondary are keepers. I am keeping an eye on DJ Reader as someone who may command more money than originally contemplated and Mercilus as a player that may command JD type money (or a shorter deal). Anyway, away we go:

Free Agency

Re-Signing

AJ McCarron: I am fine with McCarron as Deshaun’s back up for the next few seasons at $3m per. Ideally the Texans would find someone who can run the offense similar to Watson but for now this would be the guy.

Deandre Carter: Restricted free agent that provides depth at WR and plays on special teams.

Roderick Johnson: Provides depth at OT as well as in jumbo sets at TE.

DJ Reader: Rare run stuffing NT that can provide a pass rush up the middle. If Mercilus is #1 priority free agent for the defense then Reader is #1b.

Whitney Mercilus: Returning to his original position, Mercilus has shown early this season to be even better than he was before Clowney came along.

Dylan Cole: UDFA to quality depth piece/spot starter.

Tyrell Adams: Most likely depth at OLB or a dedicated special teamer.

Jonathan Joseph: I would bring him back as a mentor moreso than someone taking meaningful snaps at this point in his career. Could be a transition into coaching if he has that desire.

Phillip Gaines: Depth piece in the secondary and a special teamer.

Jahleel Addae: Part of our safety rotation that is the strength of our secondary.

Ka’imi Fairbairn: Good enough kicker.

Jon Weeks: Never hear his name on game day. That’s probably good if you’re a long snapper.

Bryan Anger: Beat out Daniels who beat out Lechler so he must be better than Lechler.

Releasing

Joe Webb: Have better talent at QB and WR.

Alex McGough: Have better talent at QB

Lamar Miller: More cost effective options than Miller coming off of injury.

Carlos Hyde: More cost effective options.

Taiwan Jones: Better, more cost effective options

Darren Fells: Better, more cost effective options

Logan Paulsen: Better, more cost effective options

Seantrel Henderson: Better, more cost effective options

Brandon Dunn: More cost effective options

Barkevious Mingo: Better, more cost effective options

Draft

1st Round

No picks

2nd Round

57: K’Lavon Chaisson – OLB – LSU: Would begin by getting reps opposite Mercilus but with an eye toward replacing Mercilus in a season or two.

3rd Round

83: Darnay Holmes – CB – UCLA: Upside pick at CB.

89: Marvin Wilson – NT – FSU: Talented NT with abilities similar to Reader. Would allow for Reader to play more often at DE

4th Round

109: Cam Akers – RB – FSU: All purpose back who can likely start as a rookie

132: Devin Duvernay – WR – Texas: Deep threat insurance if Fuller/Stills prove too expensive

5th Round

172: Naquan Jones – NT/DE – MSU: More d-line depth

6th Round

206: Gage Cervenka – IOL – Clemson: Greg Mancz replacement. Depth with starter potential

7th Round

243: Javaris Davis – CB – Auburn: Burner who may end up as PR/KR

253: Myles Jones – CB – Texas A&M: Secondary depth/project corner with traits

254: Tanner Muse – S – Clemson: Special teams ace.

Draft

1st Round

No picks

2nd Round

57: K’Lavon Chaisson – OLB – LSU: Would begin by getting reps opposite Mercilus but with an eye toward replacing Mercilus in a season or two.

3rd Round

83: Darnay Holmes – CB – UCLA: Upside pick at CB.

89: Marvin Wilson – NT – FSU: Talented NT with abilities similar to Reader. Would allow for Reader to play more often at DE

4th Round

109: Cam Akers – RB – FSU: All purpose back who can likely start as a rookie

132: Devin Duvernay – WR – Texas: Deep threat insurance if Fuller/Stills prove too expensive

5th Round

172: Naquan Jones – NT/DE – MSU: More d-line depth

6th Round

206: Gage Cervenka – IOL – Clemson: Greg Mancz replacement. Depth with starter potential

7th Round

243: Javaris Davis – CB – Auburn: Burner who may end up as PR/KR

253: Myles Jones – CB – Texas A&M: Secondary depth/project corner with traits

254: Tanner Muse – S – Clemson: Special teams ace.

I would bring back Hyde on a vet min type contract. I dont think he's gong to be expensive to sign.

A CB I'm looking at in the 2nd rd and if I had to trade up to get him is Amik Robertson. Really talented small school guy. Of course I'm terrible at evaluating CB's.

These dudes are good at one specific job but in terms of actually seeing the whole picture, they suck.

It's interesting to look at Josh McDaniels tenure in Denver. It was crazy and screwed up just like OBrien here. Remember him trading 3 picks for tebow? Hilariously bad talent evaluation just like OBrien.

"The best thing I can recollect is that he was too much of a control freak. My hope is that he understands Ballard will have equal if not greater powers and forms a productive relationship with him.

The biggest issue with Josh McDaniels’ first go-round as an NFL head coach came down to power. Denver Owner Pat Bowlen gave McDaniels executive/personnel authority, which was too much for the inexperienced and immature coach.

During his tenure as head coach, McDaniels alienated every player in the locker room and most of his coaching staff, to the point that nobody was willing to fight for him."

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1...what-went-wrong-with-josh-mcdaniels-in-denver

So does belichick just hire insane people and train them in one area so they are guaranteed to never be able to take the Patriot model elsewhere?
Disagree. BB runs all of it and has coordinators to help with paperwork and data entry. BB runs every single aspect of every single detail of anything Patriots related. Probably down to the MB level.

Disagree. BB runs all of it and has coordinators to help with paperwork and data entry. BB runs every single aspect of every single detail of anything Patriots related. Probably down to the MB level.

He oversees it all, but no he is not doing the legwork and film study all by himself to come up with the gameplan. Brady is a huge help for the offense, and BB is a defensive mastermind

If those dumasses have cushy NFL jobs, what's that say about our intelligence?

Back