Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

So It’s the UFL (United Football League)

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Looking forward to the merged season to begin. I will be home by then to go out and enjoy a game with whoever plans to go to a Gamblers game.

So now I'm reading it will be the Roughnecks in Houston, not the Gamblers. I even found one page that said it was the Gambler organization moving to Houston but getting rebranded as the Roughnecks.

But nothing official from the UFL yet, or at least I haven't found it. One way or the other, Houston will have a team in the UFL. (Supposedly)

Wow, interesting they’d dump the Gamblers name for the Roughnecks. I like both, but it’ll be interesting if they rebrand the Roughnecks look. The Adams Family threw a little hissy fit over the derrick looking similar to the Oilers old logo. I hope they bring back the Silver/Red uniforms.

Those Roughneck helmets last year were awful. I hope that changes.

Last season Wade Phillips was the HC for the Roughnecks, and Curtis Johnson was the HC for the Gamblers. The wiki page has Curtis Johnson listed as the HC of the Roughnecks. Somehow I don't think all this data we're getting is correct yet. LOL

And if you're too lazy to find it yourself, here's the official UFL web page. It pictures the Roughnecks in those god awful helmets.

https://www.theufl.com/

Put the sleeve logo on a white helmet and all would be fine.

What color white would that be? GM Classic (1969 Corvette) White. Used once by GM. It’s a rare color. I used it on my Mustang Cobra II, Honda Prelude, and Datsun 280Z. It was an extremely bright white in the sun with a soft icy blue hue at sundown…..a real head turner for white.

Last edited:
And if you're too lazy to find it yourself, here's the official UFL web page. It pictures the Roughnecks in those god awful helmets.

https://www.theufl.com/

That whole uniform was horrible last year. But if they are technically the Gamblers organization rebranding as the Roughnecks, I would assume they'll have a new look.

The original Roughneck uniforms were great, they should bring those back.

The bigger question is why bring the Gamblers to Houston and call them Roughnecks? That just seems idiotic to me.

Agreed about the original unis. Those were nice.

As for the name change I would assume that's because the "new" Gamblers never played a single game here and people would be more familiar with the Roughnecks name who actually played games here and might have more of a following.

The bigger question is why bring the Gamblers to Houston and call them Roughnecks? That just seems idiotic to me.
People just can't let go of the Oilers and their logos and colors, and feel the need to bring them back to life in Houston. The slate needs to be wiped clean. The Oilers were loveable, but not winners. The run and shoot Gamblers were loveable and actually were felt to be much more exciting a team.

The Texas flag design on the helmets of these Roughnecks has grown on me. I too prefer the XFL 2's Roughnecks colors and logo but the logo was denied due to pressure from the NFL in regards to it being too much like the Oilers logo. All in all I like thinking outside the box and the XFL has done that with Texas flag helmets.

As to your question on the Gamblers becoming the Roughnecks. It was due a groundswell of people feeling that the Roughnecks have a more recent and stronger connection to that brand than they do the Gamblers. While I prefer the Gamblers for Houston I have come to accept the reality that a younger generation of fans has more ties to the Roughnecks than they do the the Gamblers. Both leagues in the merger decided it was best to maintain the Roughneck brand and while I am no big fan of that decision I understand it and feel it was the right choice.

Last edited:
People just can't let go of the Oilers and their logos and colors, and feel the need to bring them back to life in Houston. The slate needs to be wiped clean. The Oilers were loveable, but not winners. The run and shoot Gamblers were loveable and actually were felt to be much more exciting a team.
The run and shoot loveable Gamblers were a popular brand but the key word is were. The USFL 2 did the brand no favors upon bringing them back because they did it with little promotion, no home field, and nowhere near the fanfare the Roughnecks of the modern era have. There were far more people pulling for the return of the Roughnecks thus the name and image of the current Roughnecks returned for the UFL 2! I would have preferred the Gamblers remained in Houston but not doing that will end up being a better business decision in the long run!

Last edited:
Okay…..it’s the Roughnecks. How about they use the Gamblers color scheme of Black, Gray, and Red (or maybe Gold) to give the team a proper update for the new league.

The Roughnecks still don't have a stadium to play in because the U of H stadium where they have been playing is getting renovations this spring. They are in talks with Rice to play there, but there is no official word yet where they'll play.

This iteration of the Houston Roughnecks will be different from the last two seasons, as the coaching staff and roster are the USFL’s Houston Gamblers after the leagues merged. The 2023 Houston Roughnecks were moved to San Antonio to take over the Brahmas.

:lol:

• Haha
Reactions: JB
To catch all the games this season, you'll need FOX, ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, and FS1. Interestingly, the only game on the schedule using FS1 is Arlington Renegades at Houston Roughnecks, 2 p.m. Sunday, April 21.

Still haven't seen anything about a uniform change for the Roughnecks. I really hope they change their helmets. LOL

To catch all the games this season, you'll need FOX, ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, and FS1. Interestingly, the only game on the schedule using FS1 is Arlington Renegades at Houston Roughnecks, 2 p.m. Sunday, April 21.

Still haven't seen anything about a uniform change for the Roughnecks. I really hope they change their helmets. LOL
Is the full schedule out?

Last year's Roughnecks QB Brandon Silvers signed with the St. Louis Battlehawks. Silvers was a pretty decent QB for the Roughnecks last year.

This year's Roughnecks have these guys on the roster as QBs.

Kenji Bahar
Reid Sinnett
Jarrett Guarantano

So, just cause I'm bored this afternoon....

Kenji Bahar was the Gamblers starting QB last year, 1709 yds, 8 TDs, 9 Ints
Reid Sinnett was also on the Gamblers team last season, and has been signed and released by about 5 NFL teams over the years.
Jarrett Guarantano spent one preseason with the Cardinals before being released, signed by the Gamblers late last year.

So, just cause I'm bored this afternoon....

Kenji Bahar was the Gamblers starting QB last year, 1709 yds, 8 TDs, 9 Ints
Reid Sinnett was also on the Gamblers team last season, and has been signed and released by about 5 NFL teams over the years.
Jarrett Guarantano spent one preseason with the Cardinals before being released, signed by the Gamblers late last year.
Battlehawks just signed McCarron, maybe the Roughnecks can sign Keenum

Battlehawks just signed McCarron, maybe the Roughnecks can sign Keenum

Roughnecks will need something, because with the same QBs and coach from the Gamblers last season, you won't get the passing game you're used to with the Roughnecks. QB play wasn't very good last year on the Gamblers. Gamblers offense last year was only good when their running game was working and their defense was scoring. The Gamblers were a mediocre team last year and that's essentially what we're getting in the Roughnecks. Hopefully they'll make some improvements.

All eight teams will report to the league's headquarters in Arlington and practice at surrounding facilities. Teams will be allowed a 75-man roster. Once the regular season begins, rosters will shrink to 50 players per team.

Those Arlington-based facilities will continue to serve as practice sites during the regular season. Teams will travel to their home markets for games only, like the XFL did in 2023.

UFL players receive $5,500 per game week in accordance with their partnership with the United Football Players Association, a union the UFL has recognized and negotiated with.

"Our quarterbacks are paid the same as everybody else," Johnston said. "The approach is to be fiscally responsible there. We've gotten some pushback from some of them, which is understandable, because they can say everybody knows how valuable this position is and how it should command a higher salary.

Here is week one TV schedule. The full season TV schedule is here

Saturday, March 30
Birmingham Stallions at Arlington Renegades, 1 p.m. (FOX)
St. Louis Battlehawks at Michigan Panthers, 4 p.m. (FOX)

Sunday, March 31
D.C. Defenders at San Antonio Brahmas, noon (ESPN)
Memphis Showboats at Houston Roughnecks, 3 p.m. (ESPN)

Back