Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Slowik and the offense

Yes, Slowik is beginning to make a name for himself. With the early success Stroud has had, there are plenty of kudos to pass around. But NFL head coach? Seems early to me. Usually, those jobs go to coordinators that win big. I'm hoping that happens here, and Slowik gets his chance. But the Texans are not there just yet.

This board will drag comments out of the closet that were made 10+ years ago. Criticizing a comment made three months ago is nothing. The "I told you so" is strong in this board.
That's true. That's what the search engine is for, to find out what has been said in the past. It does seem a little petty if it was just a single remark. But if you're bludgeoned with the same comments, on a daily if not hourly basis, maybe pointing out those comments has validity.

Yes, Slowik is beginning to make a name for himself. With the early success Stroud has had, there are plenty of kudos to pass around. But NFL head coach? Seems early to me. Usually, those jobs go to coordinators that win big. I'm hoping that happens here, and Slowik gets his chance. But the Texans are not there just yet.

That's true. That's what the search engine is for, to find out what has been said in the past. It does seem a little petty if it was just a single remark. But if you're bludgeoned with the same comments, on a daily if not hourly basis, maybe pointing out those comments has validity.
Agreed about Slowik

Bludgeoned? If this is bludgeoning I'm really going to have some fun. LMAO

So those 10,000 posts about how you knew Watson was trash before the sexual assaults came to light don't count as "I told you so" posts?
There's a little difference in my posts before Stroud played a down and a Sexual Predator. Those posts weren't meant to be an I told you so and I think you're getting me mixed up with CnD and DeJohn. Speaking of I told you so's, I told you that this franchise would be better off without Derrick before he asked for the extension. In fact OT and I suggested trading Derrick for Herbert.

BTW, if Stroud gets baptized in the River Jordan the off-season before he asks for a contract extension in yr 3. I'm gonna say I told you so.

There's a little difference in my posts before Stroud played a down and a Sexual Predator.
Well in Stroud's case, you had zero evidence that he would become a bust. In Watson's case, you had no idea what he was doing off the field. As I've said many times, you like to make things up to support your agenda.

Now, it did turn out that the best decision for the Texans was to move Watson. But not for the reasons you mentioned prior. Still, you did say he should be traded. And that turned out to be correct. Getting your "I told you so" is your right. But it does make you an "I told you so" kind of guy.

My prediction is that Stroud will get his extension the second he is eligible for it. And Bobby Slowik's offense will have its part in that. What is your problem with that?
Usually that's after yr 4. But the trash that represents him will threaten a holdout after yr 3, at least that's what history tells us. This will greatly impact the chances to win championships if your into those kinds of things.

Well in Stroud's case, you had zero evidence that he would become a bust. In Watson's case, you had no idea what he was doing off the field. As I've said many times, you like to make things up to support your agenda.

Now, it did turn out that the best decision for the Texans was to move Watson. But not for the reasons you mentioned prior. Still, you did say he should be traded. And that turned out to be correct. Getting your "I told you so" is your right. But it does make you an "I told you so" kind of guy.
Except the fact that no OSU QB had ever been successful, the people he chose to represent him and his S-2 scores. He's beaten the odds so far.

Sorry I know a phony when I see one.

I was messing with you when it came to the I told you so. Sorry you didn't get my sense of humor.

Except the fact that no OSU QB had ever been successful, the people he chose to represent him and his S-2 scores.
Meaningless. Meaningless. Meaningless. Plenty of posters said so. That's why "I told you so" is a two way street.

Meaningless. Meaningless. Meaningless. Plenty of posters said so. That's why "I told you so" is a two way street.
Just because someone, or plenty of posters, say so, doesn't mean any credence must be given to the remark. This misconception is playing out in the news and in the courts right now.

But of course, there is always the come back, I told you so.

This board will drag comments out of the closet that were made 10+ years ago. Criticizing a comment made three months ago is nothing. The "I told you so" is strong in this board.

It is and the best thing to do is just say "I admit I was wrong about ________. Let's move on. " and hope they just drop it.

Dang I didn’t mean to wake up the sleeping giant. I was only posting a tweet giving Slow props for his offense. And that’s all lol

And minus the 1st game when everyone was wondering what was going on...he has been doing very well. He also has been addressing what isn't working and changing the game plan at the half. As a matter of fact they really as a team have not been even making many mistakes that I have seen with new coaches. Sure we had that last 2min of the Saints game. However, past that most head scratch moments are 1 or 2 plays here and there. Yet nothing you can say 100% cost us the game. Hopefully, they will continue to prepare and be able to adjust and cut the smaller mistakes out even more as we come out of the bye week.

In other words, Baller, you (IMO) were 100% correct to give credit to Slow. He has earned the respect.

Agreed mostly. But I will say that if Texans make the playoffs he will be a “hot name” and will likely get a job. He comes from the coaching tree every team wants a piece of these days.

But more than likely the Texans mirror the Lions last season and Slowik goes the Ben Johnson route from a team just missing the playoffs. Maybe take an interview or two for the experience but ultimately stay as an OC another season to gain experience and have his pick of the jobs in the next coaching cycle.

PS: This is all wishful thinking on my part. A nice problem to have… having coaches other teams want to hire away. How many league promotions came under OB’s tenure? Vrabel to the Titans and…?

And minus the 1st game when everyone was wondering what was going on...he has been doing very well. He also has been addressing what isn't working and changing the game plan at the half. As a matter of fact they really as a team have not been even making many mistakes that I have seen with new coaches. Sure we had that last 2min of the Saints game. However, past that most head scratch moments are 1 or 2 plays here and there. Yet nothing you can say 100% cost us the game. Hopefully, they will continue to prepare and be able to adjust and cut the smaller mistakes out even more as we come out of the bye week.

In other words, Baller, you (IMO) were 100% correct to give credit to Slow. He has earned the respect.
Last 2 minutes of the Saints game they simply should have taken time off the clock before scoring, and with the number of rookies at key positions within the org, that is forgivable at this stage.

Slowick has done a great job so far, I do think he’s moving into a phase now where he’s now coached the low hanging fruit that was the awful OL play of the first 2 games, established the O scheme that he is going to present, and D’s are just beginning to adapt to what he and Stroud want to do, we saw that in the 2nd half of week 6, we’ll see how he goes as the chess game develops.

It all looks great so far, I don’t see him getting a HC gig after 1 season as OC unless this team somehow goes very deep in the playoffs. We don’t play too many great teams during the regular season so it isn’t impossible that we get a playoff place and who knows what can happen if we get there.

They are now.

Don't get the River Jordan reference.
Derrick was represented by the same people and Burney publicized Derrick being baptized in the River Jordan. It's biblical look up the significance of the River Jordan and Christianity.

Last 2 minutes of the Saints game they simply should have taken time off the clock before scoring, and with the number of rookies at key positions within the org, that is forgivable at this stage.

Slowick has done a great job so far, I do think he’s moving into a phase now where he’s now coached the low hanging fruit that was the awful OL play of the first 2 games, established the O scheme that he is going to present, and D’s are just beginning to adapt to what he and Stroud want to do, we saw that in the 2nd half of week 6, we’ll see how he goes as the chess game develops.

It all looks great so far, I don’t see him getting a HC gig after 1 season as OC unless this team somehow goes very deep in the playoffs. We don’t play too many great teams during the regular season so it isn’t impossible that we get a playoff place and who knows what can happen if we get there.

I agree with you about the Saints game. But, it was still a mistake. So, in keeping with the person I quoted, while I agree it's forgivable at that point. Come later in the year or next year...it shouldn't happen.

I'm going to keep saying it. Boone needs to get more snaps as a rusher.

For the 2023 season, Slowik has given him three carries. He's gained 20 yds for a 6.7 yd average.

For his career, he has 102 carries for 536 yds and an average of 5.3 yds.

Not saying you're wrong, but he's also fumbled. He may be in Slowik's version of a doghouse, although he is on the field at least.

Unless Slowik gets lucky with another QB somewhere, he's better off here.

True.

It’s the right circumstance to have one of the best QBs and a HC that has built a winning culture. If you are not going to have a great QB or be able to build a culture like Demeco has, then be content being #2.

Or you can sign to get a paycheck like Josh McDaniels has done twice. Or any other Belicheck disciple.

DeMeco hired a good offensive coordinator when he hired Slowik, he can hire another one if Slowik leaves. Besides, I think the talent here is Stroud, not Slowik. How on earth do you "teach" a rookie to do what Stroud is doing?

I'm not the slightest bit worried about Slowik leaving, which I'm sure he will at some point.

Unless Slowik gets lucky with another QB somewhere, he's better off here.
Except a HC averaged about 7 times the salary of an OC in 2022. I'm sure it is close to the same this year. Hell Cully made 22 million for 1 year of actual work & I'm sure Lovie's contract was comparable.

Remember Jerry Jones paying Jason Garrett millions to stay on as OC. Unless the Texans do something similar Slowik will probably leave.

Except a HC averaged about 7 times the salary of an OC in 2022. I'm sure it is close to the same this year. Hell Cully made 22 million for 1 year of actual work & I'm sure Lovie's contract was comparable.

Remember Jerry Jones paying Jason Garrett millions to stay on as OC. Unless the Texans do something similar Slowik will probably leave.

There should be enough money for Cal to pay Slowik as soon as he is done paying off Culley and Lovie.

When you think about it he can pay Demeco and Slowik HC money and still be better off there where he is today - Paying Demeco, Lovie, and Culley.

Reading an article on The Athletic regarding the Reich firing, and sure enough Bobby Slowik's name comes up.

Tepper could go big-game hunting for Bill Belichick, Jim Harbaugh or Sean McVay, whom the Panthers would have to trade for. He should also take a long look at Houston Texans offensive coordinator Bobby Slowik, who’s helped guide C.J. Stroud to one of the best seasons ever by a rookie quarterback.

Back