Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Since there's nothing really to talk about

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I thought I would put up a Steel B's Offseason Draft/FA thread.

FA's I would sign are Suh and Quinton Spain, Re-sign Reader/Weeks/Fairbairn/Roby/Dunn/Hyde/Fells/McCarron/Jones/Cole/Rod Johnson. Re-sign Hargreaves at 2-3 mil per yr.

Draft

Rd.2 Kyle Dugger- Lenoir Rhyne. This guy is the guy they need to shut down Kelce. At 6'1 218 he's big enough to play nickle LB and fast enough to play single high Safety. He impressed me with his ability to cover TE's at the Sr. Bowl.

Rd.3 Darnay Holmes- UCLA. Fastest CB in Sr. Bowl, good cover guy, very competitive, world class speed, needs to improve tackling technique.

Rd.4 Troy Dye- Oregon. Well rounded LB. Good in coverage and can blitz some. Was mainly used in coverage where he excelled. Tall LB at 6'4 and gets his hands on a lot of balls. Very athletic.

Rd.4 Antonio Gibson- Memphis. 6-2 220, has played RB/Slot WR/WR, Very fast, yet physical. He played RB at Sr. Bowl. (Very Well) Played mostly Slot WR at Memphis. Also would improve ST's as he was a very good KR/PR at Memphis. The thought of a RB with WR skills playing in the slot and having the speed to play outside when WFV gets hurt again is very appealing to me.

Rd.5 John Runyan OT/OG Michigan- Played LT at Michigan, I think he can play RT in the pro's. But his best position is RG. Big physical guy in the run game with great feet for an OG. Great Bloodlines

Rd.7 Darius Anderson- TCU. A RB with wiggle and surprising ability to run between the tackles. Great hands. Reminds me of a poor mans Duke.

Rd.7 Scott Frantz Kansas St. LT. A developmental guy. Needs to improve strength but has athletic ability.

Rd.7 Tyreke Cleveland Florida. A Burner who played on the outside at Florida. Great Speed, a really good KR/PR guy.

I like the thought of the DL with Suh/Reader/Watt with Mercilus/Dye/Cunningham/McKinney as my front 7

The DL would be deep with Blackston/Dunn backing them up.

Dye is exactly the type of LB this defense missed last yr. Cole is an athletic backup who hopefully can stay healthy. Martin is a great situational pass rusher and depth piece. All of these guys bring something different to the table.

CB's Conley/Roby/Holmes/Johnson and Hargreaves while not the greatest are all solid and very athletic CB's with much room for improvement.

Safeties- I love Reid and Dugger would be a great chess piece he's super talented and could play a variety of roles. Gipson probably would start but if he went down again at least there would be somebody that could cover TE's like Kelce.

On Offense this answers the yearly (What we gonna do) questions about WFV's health and give a dynamic slot option the team has been lacking. (Coutee's a dumba**) I think Runyan can be a day 1 starter at RG or atleast on par with Scharping.

Thoughts? This will hopefully spur on discussion instead of the BOB/DW4 talk that's ruined this MB. IMHO

Last edited:

FA's I would sign are Suh and Quinton Spain, Re-sign Reader/Weeks/Fairbairn/Roby/Dunn/Hyde/Fells/McCarron/Jones/Cole/Rod Johnson. Re-sign Hargreaves at 2-3 mil per yr.

Draft

Rd.2 Kyle Dugger- Lenoir Rhyne. This guy is the guy they need to shut down Kelce. At 6'1 218 he's big enough to play nickle LB and fast enough to play single high Safety. He impressed me with his ability to cover TE's at the Sr. Bowl.

Rd.3 Darnay Holmes- UCLA. Fastest CB in Sr. Bowl, good cover guy, very competitive, world class speed, needs to improve tackling technique.

Rd.4 Troy Dye- Oregon. Well rounded LB. Good in coverage and can blitz some. Was mainly used in coverage where he excelled. Tall LB at 6'4 and gets his hands on a lot of balls. Very athletic.

Rd.4 Antonio Gibson- Memphis. 6-2 220, has played RB/Slot WR/WR, Very fast, yet physical. He played RB at Sr. Bowl. (Very Well) Played mostly Slot WR at Memphis. Also would improve ST's as he was a very good KR/PR at Memphis. The thought of a RB with WR skills playing in the slot and having the speed to play outside when WFV gets hurt again is very appealing to me.

Rd.5 John Runyan OT/OG Michigan- Played LT at Michigan, I think he can play RT in the pro's. But his best position is RG. Big physical guy in the run game with great feet for an OG. Great Bloodlines

Rd.7 Darius Anderson- TCU. A RB with wiggle and surprising ability to run between the tackles. Great hands. Reminds me of a poor mans Duke.

Rd.7 Scott Frantz Kansas St. LT. A developmental guy. Needs to improve strength but has athletic ability.

Rd.7 Tyreke Cleveland Florida. A Burner who played on the outside at Florida. Great Speed, a really good KR/PR guy.

I like the thought of the DL with Suh/Reader/Watt with Mercilus/Dye/Cunningham/McKinney as my front 7

Dye is exactly the type of LB this defense missed last yr. Cole is an athletic backup who hopefully can stay healthy. Martin is a great situational pass rusher and depth piece. All of these guys bring something different to the table.

CB's Conley/Roby/Holmes/Johnson and Hargreaves while not the greatest are all solid and very athletic CB's with much room for improvement.

Safeties- I love Reid and Dugger would be a great chess piece he's super talented and could play a variety of roles. Gipson probably would start but if he went down again at least there would be somebody that could cover TE's like Kelce.

On Offense this answers the yearly (What we gonna do) questions about WFV's health and give a dynamic slot option the team has been lacking. (Coutee's a dumba**) I think Runyan can be a day 1 starter at RG or atleast on par with Scharping.

Thoughts? This will hopefully spur on discussion instead of the BOB/DW4 talk that's ruined this MB. IMHO
As far as FAs, I think Suh would demand too much $, and we still have to think about signing Watson and Tunsil in the future.
Why Spain over Thurney or Scherff? I’d also let Hargreaves walk. He didn’t impress me at all.
Definite yes to resigning Read, Weeks, Fairbairn, Cole, Dunn, McCarron, and Roby. Hyde might’ve priced himself out to resign for us, but I could be wrong. I think Fells made $ this year, and would resign him if it was team friendly.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
As far as FAs, I think Suh would demand too much $, and we still have to think about signing Watson and Tunsil in the future.
Why Spain over Thurney or Scherff? I’d also let Hargreaves walk. He didn’t impress me at all.
Definite yes to resigning Read, Weeks, Fairbairn, Cole, Dunn, McCarron, and Roby. Hyde might’ve priced himself out to resign for us, but I could be wrong. I think Fells made $ this year, and would resign him if it was team friendly.
DW4/Tunsil probably wont sign until after the 2020 season when the new CBA money kicks in. Spain will cost less so you have $$$$ to sign Suh. I also dont think Scherff/Thuney will be available.

Hargreaves was very avg and a good depth piece at around 3 mil. I dont think Hyde is going o get the $$$$ that you think he's going to get. Fells is a must sign. IMHO

Thanks for the reply

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Adrian Clayborn for DL, according to Seth Payne he has the fifth highest win rate in the NFL. Would be a good, not too pricey addition.

After listening to Stoerner yesterday, I’m not sure we resign Reader. His position was we have a desperate need at CB and CB1 is a much more valuable position then NT1. He thinks Reader will command more money then we should pay given our needs. After thinking about it, I tend to agree

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

Draft

Kudos - looks like an exciting bunch.
Man I hope our coaching staff can lift their game as well - something has to give with these weak-a$$ exits from playoff games.
I hope our whizz bang GM can bring in some real strong, exciting coaching this offseason also.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Spot on post.
I hope they can hold on to Hyde - he added some starch to our running game this year.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Adrian Clayborn for DL, according to Seth Payne he has the fifth highest win rate in the NFL. Would be a good, not too pricey addition.

After listening to Stoerner yesterday, I’m not sure we resign Reader. His position was we have a desperate need at CB and CB1 is a much more valuable position then NT1. He thinks Reader will command more money then we should pay given our needs. After thinking about it, I tend to agree
I can see this, use Reader's $$$$$ to sign Byron Jones and trade up to the top of the 2nd for Gladney and the secondary issues would be solved. Then sign Quinn in FA and draft a DT like Roy/Hamilton etc... to pair with Backson/Dunn.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

I hope you're wrong dude.
Sure, CB is a more valuable position but the game is won in the trenches.
We could lose JJ or his effectiveness may drop off so some quality in the line will be badly needed.

badboy

Hall of Fame
We could lose JJ or his effectiveness may drop off so some quality in the line will be badly needed.
But we have solid backup for reader and we do not have any players other than Conley at cornerback

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
All that, and think about the division the Texans play in. Titans, Jags, Colts...all teams that want to run the ball down your throat. A NT like Reader is imperative in order to keep that from happening.

Besides, Trader Bill is the GM, now. I'm sure he can wheel and deal and fill all the teams needs. Relax, people. Bill is on the case.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
But we have solid backup for reader and we do not have any players other than Conley at cornerback
Losing him would be bad enough but what if Colts, Titans or Jags picked him up?
It might be just me, but if you luck into a good player like Watt or Reader you try really hard to hang onto them.
I wasn't happy when they lost Bouye and what position are we hurting at right now...

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Originally I wanted them to re-sign Reader and sign Suh in FA. Let whoever has to walk let them walk.

Now after thinking about it I would let reader walk, sign Jones with Reader's 12 + mil a yr and sign Suh for 1 yr 13 mil then trade up for Gladney at the top of rd 2. If it took moving McKinney to do this I'm on board.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Losing him would be bad enough but what if Colts, Titans or Jags picked him up?
It might be just me, but if you luck into a good player like Watt or Reader you try really hard to hang onto them.
I wasn't happy when they lost Bouye and what position are we hurting at right now...
What team a free agent goes to is not high on my priority list when deciding to sign or not. What happens if we do not overpay for Byron Jones, scherff or any other free agent? And they go to another team that plays us.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
What team a free agent goes to is not high on my priority list when deciding to sign or not. What happens if we do not overpay for Byron Jones, scherff or any other free agent? And they go to another team that plays us.
Thing is, if a player plays well on your team, why trade him away when you only have to blood a new guy that may not pan out?
Not good business sense in my book.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Thing is, if a player plays well on your team, why trade him away when you only have to blood a new guy that may not pan out?
Not good business sense in my book.
[/QUO while you don't know the new guy will play well You don't know if reader in this case Will continue to get better. I want to keep DJ. But it depends on the price. Let's not forget that DJ started off really hot he did cool off significantly during the season..IMO I cannot blame DJ for going for the money, but neither can I blame the Texans for being prudent with the salary cap. It's not a trade. It's letting the player Participate in the free-agent Market as the CBA directs. We can use the money reader will get to go after players at other positions that we need With higher priority.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
All that, and think about the division the Texans play in. Titans, Jags, Colts...all teams that want to run the ball down your throat. A NT like Reader is imperative in order to keep that from happening.

Besides, Trader Bill is the GM, now. I'm sure he can wheel and deal and fill all the teams needs. Relax, people. Bill is on the case.
I would wonder out loud if OB had Morey mentoring him on how to build a franchise. OB can will and deal and the Texans will be draft handicapped in 2022 as well.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Im torn, I like what Reader brings, but I’m not sure he’s worth 12+ million. He’s great at stuffing the run but IMO we desperately need an inside pass rusher. I also think Blackson had a very solid season. I think he gives us 85-90% of what Reader does at 4 million a yr., and Dunn is a solid backup. McClain says Reader isn’t going anywhere so hopefully they’ll figure something out.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I would wonder out loud if OB had Morey mentoring him on how to build a franchise. OB can will and deal and the Texans will be draft handicapped in 2022 as well.
The major negative about tying the 2 jobs together is that a HC under pressure to win now is 100% enabled by the GM. There should be some balance between what’s best for the future and what’s right for right now. That discussion isn’t happening on Kirby.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The major negative about tying the 2 jobs together is that a HC under pressure to win now is 100% enabled by the GM. There should be some balance between what’s best for the future and what’s right for right now. That discussion isn’t happening on Kirby.
Yep,

They have the resources to improve the defense by using FA $$$$ (Reader) Trade (McKinney) and draft picks to significantly improve their defense. It starts with what do you want to do with Reader's money and ends with how aggressive do you want to be in 1. Getting more draft picks in trade (McKinney) 2. Trading up in the draft to get a CB that can play right away.

They definitely need to add more speed to their defense at LB/CB.

PHILLYTEXANFAN

Saddle Up Partner

Draft

My only questions are 1. Why do you want to keep a player who was mia in the playoffs and sign him to big $? 2. Why would you want to draft a guy solely to “lock up” Kelcie?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
My only questions are 1. Why do you want to keep a player who was mia in the playoffs and sign him to big $? 2. Why would you want to draft a guy solely to “lock up” Kelcie?
Which player was MIA?

I get the guy that can cover Ebron/Johnu Smith et...

I haven't looked at next yrs schedule closely, but I will bet you there are a bunch of good TE's they will have to deal with.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Originally I wanted them to re-sign Reader and sign Suh in FA. Let whoever has to walk let them walk.

Now after thinking about it I would let reader walk, sign Jones with Reader's 12 + mil a yr and sign Suh for 1 yr 13 mil then trade up for Gladney at the top of rd 2. If it took moving McKinney to do this I'm on board.
This is what I agree with and most want to see happen.