Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Should we trade Watson?

Should we trade Watson?

• Yes, without a doubt.

• Yes, depending on compensation (please list your trade scenario).

• No, never.

• No, unless he plays hardball and sits.

Results are only viewable after voting.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Oh no doubt, that’s why I’m only sending him there. Since he wants to play the same silly games like James Harden,I’m going to make sure I get the top end of that trade( Texans of course). I am not about to give him what he wants anymore. I’m mostly not trading him to a contender or a team on the verge of being one.
Please don't throw me in the New York City Briar Patch! Please! Sign DeShaun Watson

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I said that things have gotten better since then that was my rebuttal.
Rebuttal? The argument is Ricky didn't draft a QB in that time frame because they were all crap. On par with your Case Kennums & TJ Yates.

What difference does getting better since then have to do with Rick Smith's tenure?

The fact that Keenum/Yates were brought up as examples of developmental franchise QB's is just being argumentative.
Yes, they're arguing that Yates & Keenum were on par with most of the crap drafted in the 1st & 2nd rounds when Rick was here.

GM's pick the players. Coaches coach. Or at least that's the way it should be. It would be nice if they were on the same page. If Kubiak didn't get his panties bunched (my opinion) & coached that season to win, it wouldn't have ended 2-14. He'd still be here & would have probably got the QB he wanted in 2014... Bridgewater, Garoppolo, McCarron. Which were all no better than Keenum.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Jets lose their top of the draft capital for the next 3 years at minimum with the Watson trade. Their cap space this year wouldn't yield many top players, since Watson's contract will suck the air out of the room when his 40M comes off the top of their cap in 2022. Jets are a .500 team at the very best while playing in a division that has a young Bills and Dolphins teams to compete with.
I think the Jets with DeShaun Watson and with some free agents they could pick up with the tremendous cap space they have could put them in competition with the Bills and Dolphins 2021.

Jack Burton

Veteran
I think the Jets with DeShaun Watson and with some free agents they could pick up with the tremendous cap space they have could put them in competition with the Bills and Dolphins 2021.
Watson will be a Jet. It allows HOU to get Zack Wilson, Darnold and a grip of draft picks and start over.
I’m betting HOU will immediately trade Darnold to DEN or CHI for even more.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Right. Because when I think of the Texans, hard-nosed, iron-willed negotiators are the first thing that comes to my mind.

View attachment 8026
You dont know what Caserio will do.

What I do know is the MB wont be happy with whatever trade is made for DW4.

After thinking about it a little more, I would ask for 2021 1st/2nd 2022 1st, 2023 1st and Jeremy Chinn. That's what should be atleast 2 high 1sts/1 high second and who knows what the 2023 1st will be. Also the Texans will finally have a guy that's versatile enough to play S and Nickel LB. Finally a guy that can cover the TE.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Rebuttal? The argument is Ricky didn't draft a QB in that time frame because they were all crap. On par with your Case Kennums & TJ Yates.

What difference does getting better since then have to do with Rick Smith's tenure?

Yes, they're arguing that Yates & Keenum were on par with most of the crap drafted in the 1st & 2nd rounds when Rick was here.

GM's pick the players. Coaches coach. Or at least that's the way it should be. It would be nice if they were on the same page. If Kubiak didn't get his panties bunched (my opinion) & coached that season to win, it wouldn't have ended 2-14. He'd still be here & would have probably got the QB he wanted in 2014... Bridgewater, Garoppolo, McCarron. Which were all no better than Keenum.
There's no excuse, BOB's biggest failure was not being able to hire coaches that could develop players. In the salary cap era this will doom a franchise to failure. Besides Lovie, I kind of like Culley's staff.

But finally after DW4/Cunningham are gone the stench of RS will finally be off of this franchise.

Kubiak didn't have a QB when Schaub got hurt and the defense was slow.

Jack Burton

Veteran
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this in another thread but just heard Chris Mortenson on the radio say that the he’s hearing that the Texans and Dolphins might be discussing a deal. Tua plus other compensation for DW. Apparently someone in the Texans organization is high on Tua.

What a joke if there is any substance to that.

Edit: Now PFT is reporting this. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/10/report-deshaun-watson-would-consider-trade-to-dolphins/
I think your going to hear a lot of rumors without any real substance involving the 3 teams that have the 2 1st round picks in this upcoming draft. It’s easy for the media to just make stuff up.
It’s also easy to surmise as a fan that NYJ have the most in equity that HOU would be interested in. Jets are playing with house money and trading for Watson won’t hurt them at all. By far, they have the most to offer.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
There's no excuse, BOB's biggest failure was not being able to hire coaches that could develop players. In the salary cap era this will doom a franchise to failure. Besides Lovie, I kind of like Culley's staff.

But finally after DW4/Cunningham are gone the stench of RS will finally be off of this franchise.

Kubiak didn't have a QB when Schaub got hurt and the defense was slow.
When will the BoB stench wear off? Because last time I checked, Ricky had nothing to do with the Johnson, Martin, Mercilus, Murray or Cobb contracts.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
When will the BoB stench wear off? Because last time I checked, Ricky had nothing to do with the Johnson, Martin, Mercilus, Murray or Cobb contracts.
I thought I said that BOB had great fault in the Texans current predicament too.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
If some are thinking that Zach Wilson may very well be the best QB1 in the draft and the only reason Lawrence is ahead of him is b/c of the media pressure. Texans were in the same boat with Clowney. Anyhow, why would the Jets give up Zach Wilson and his affordable 5 year rookie contract for Watson.....especially if he's the can't miss prospect many are suggesting and taking into consideration the cost the Jets would have to make in this trade?

On top of selecting Wilson, the Jets could move Darnold for another reasonably good pick or just keep him until the trade deadline when they just might get more for him then than what they're likely to get now.
That's all I'm saying and I'm not that high on Wilson. If their talent evaluators think Wilson or Fields is the truth, they can use their picks to build the team. To me it's Miami because they won 10 games last year with avg qb play. Texans get Tua, a 1st rd pick (not 3rd) a 3rd and a 1st next year.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yep, that’s why it’s being reported that they’re getting rid of players to clear cap space.
BTW, I've changed my mind on trading Cooks they should trade or cut him to rebuild the defense with the picks/cap space. He avoided a concussion last yr so he should bring atleast a 2nd or 3rd rd pick by a team like Ravens that could really use a guy like Cooks. I dont know about their cap space. You could get a top tier FA CB for 12 mil in this market. Say do a 4 yr 50 mil deal. Then add another cheaper Vet FA WR like John Brown on the cheap to go with Cobb/Hansen/Coutee and a drafted WR.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
That's all I'm saying and I'm not that high on Wilson. If their talent evaluators think Wilson or Fields is the truth, they can use their picks to build the team. To me it's Miami because they won 10 games last year with avg qb play. Texans get Tua, a 1st rd pick (not 3rd) a 3rd and a 1st next year.
You think the Texans will only end up with Tua, the 18th and a 3rd this year and a 2022 1st for Watson? F that! I wouldn’t trade him then. He can sit his happy ass at home

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
If Miami is willing to move on from Tua.....his value as a toss in piece for Watson would make him worth a RD2 or RD3 at best. He's no longer a RD1 return for Miami. He wouldn't gain them a RD1 pick in return if the Texans told them, you keep him and do what you want. Now that we've determined that Tua is essentially a toss in player to the deal, let's focus on the actual draft capital needed to trade Watson.

2021 RD1-03-003 / RD1-18-018 / RD2-03-35 / 2022 RD1 / 2022 RD3 / 2023 RD1

If I convince them to take Cooks as well and based off his 2020 numbers.....I'd probably push for their 2021 RD2-18-050 as well.

Anything less and the Dolphins front office will have bent the Texans over the barrel once again. The Texans should start the negotiations by including a 2021 RD2-18-050 plus a 2023 RD3 and dumping another contract in the deal.

Bear in mind......the Texans aren't trading for Tua, Miami is trading for Watson.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
To me it's Miami because they won 10 games last year with avg qb play. Texans get Tua, a 1st rd pick (not 3rd) a 3rd and a 1st next year.
Screw taking Tua. That's their mistake. First, get your picks back from the Tunsil deal. #3, #18, & #34. Then, 1st in 2022, and a 2nd in 2023. Finally, Miami takes Mercilus or Cobb in trade.

If Miami can get a 1st rounder back for Tua, good for them.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
If Kubiak didn't get his panties bunched (my opinion) & coached that season to win, it wouldn't have ended 2-14.

The problem with that theory is that he just didn't have anything to work with at the QB position. Schaub threw pick six after pick six .... He was 2-6.
Keenum was a wet behind the ears deer in headlights that year despite the fact that he's carved out a decent career since. He was 0-8 that season.

Yates was just there , I think he threw 22 passes for the season.

When your options are a broken version of Schaub or a not ready version of Keenum at the most important position in all of professional sports , you are starting behind the 8 ball.

6 of their losses were 3 points or less and 9 were 7 or fewer points.

OptimisticTexan

The problem with that theory is that he just didn't have anything to work with at the QB position. Schaub threw pick six after pick six .... He was 2-6.
Keenum was a wet behind the ears deer in headlights that year despite the fact that he's carved out a decent career since. He was 0-8 that season.

Yates was just there , I think he threw 22 passes for the season.

When your options are a broken version of Schaub or a not ready version of Keenum at the most important position in all of professional sports , you are starting behind the 8 ball.

6 of their losses were 3 points or less and 9 were 7 or fewer points.
I think CK's 0-8 start had more to do with the defense not holding some of the leads he gave them to work with. I never liked Kubiak's desire to start playing to protect the lead he had at halftime versus trying to run up the score. CK deserved to have a few victories under his belt during that 0-8 run. I will say that even with some of those ugly backward scrambles CK also threw some pretty dammed nice TD's. I still like the one where AJ realized that ball was still moving and he had to find that next gear to haul that ball in for an in-stride TD.....I bet AJ still remembers that as well b/c everyone knows that just didn't happen enough in his career.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I enjoyed watching Keenum play that season. IMO, the first playmaker the Texans had under Center.

Keenum wasn't going to win any games if the coaches couldn't produce a run game. Which they didn't.

It's my opinion. Politics got in the Texans way that season.

OptimisticTexan

I enjoyed watching Keenum play that season. IMO, the first playmaker the Texans had under Center.

Keenum wasn't going to win any games if the coaches couldn't produce a run game. Which they didn't.

It's my opinion. Politics got in the Texans way that season.
I totally forgot he didn't have Arian Foster during that 0-8 run. That could've made the difference between 0-8 and having a 5-3 or 6-2 run (+ Defense) in those first 8 games. That would've changed the future for Keenum as the Texans starter.

Jack Burton

Veteran
The best deal for us has got to be with the Jets because they've got the #2 overall along with another first round pick in the 2021 Draft.
NYJ have the 23rd pick in this upcoming draft plus 2 1sts next year and 2 3rds this year as well. And Darnold.
Playing with house money must be nice.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Finally have power, how the hell did you guys post all week?
So quick summary of week events?
Thanks guys
We post..we special. I was at a friend in League City who had power and water. Did not have laptop but was able to charge phone and keep up with friends and Neighbors. As far as Texans go absolutely nothing has happened. Bad boy continues to post totally unrealistic trade and draft scenarios that are ridiculed and then taken by others as their own Shear genius. Hope you came through the freeze in good shape CWT!

Jack Burton

Veteran
Darnold is worthless. I'd rather sign Winston, Brissett, or Trubisky as FAs.
Darnold is not worthless. I don’t want him as a QB for HOU. He has a high trade value. I would expect HOU to draft a QB with the 2nd pick on a rookie contract for 5 years, rebuilding. Darnold would be traded. To DEN or CHI.
His value is higher than Tua.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Too much power can have very negative effects...........on all those involved.

*************************************************************************************************************

Inside Carson Wentz’s turbulent season and the forces behind his regression

They allowed him too much say in the draft, free agency, and coaching decisions.

But the 28-year-old had increasingly rebuffed advice, defied criticism, and clashed with former coach Doug Pederson last season, Eagles sources said. “Every great quarterback wants to be coached and they want to be coached hard and by the best, and it doesn’t seem like [Wentz] wants that,” one source said. “It’s kind of like whoever’s coaching him is working for him. But it can’t be that way.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Dolphins_ChadRi

Practice Squad
Hey again Texans fans!!!!

Hope you guys all survived the blizzard and are heathy and well.

Rumor around our Dolphins mill is that Xavian Howard is going to be offered in the Watson trade.

I'm hearing something in the range of

Howard
Tua
2022 1st rounder.

Just wanted to see what your thoughts were on this.

CWTexansFan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Contributor's Club
We post..we special. I was at a friend in League City who had power and water. Did not have laptop but was able to charge phone and keep up with friends and Neighbors. As far as Texans go absolutely nothing has happened. Bad boy continues to post totally unrealistic trade and draft scenarios that are ridiculed and then taken by others as their own Shear genius. Hope you came through the freeze in good shape CWT!
Yeah, we came through it ok, replaced all the water pipes today. Still less stressful than following the Texans.
Power was completely out since last Saturday the 13th, lost water on Tuesday.
Could've been worse, grateful it wasn't.
Did a lot of grilling this week.

CWTexansFan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Contributor's Club

Rumor around our Dolphins mill is that Xavian Howard is going to be offered in the Watson trade.

Howard
Tua
2022 1st rounder.
100 gallons of lube

Just got done burying a bunch of your relatives.
Also, I fixed your post.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member

Howard
Tua
2022 1st rounder.

Hoaward is not Texans worthy

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

Howard
Tua
2022 1st rounder.

No thanks. Not Enough.

Don't want Tua - he's a career backup at best - something you guys figured out already which is why he's in the deal.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Howard
Tua
2022 1st rounder.

Getting much closer to what we need. Add 2.36 and 2.50 this draft and I would make the deal. Note that I am giving up a second round pick in 2022. Miami should know that most do not want Tua. Also at 1.3 we are not getting Zach Wilson. Miami has to create a desire for us to look elsewhere for a starting quarterback. I am concerned that the Texans may not accept even my suggestions. Can you come up with another young starter preferably on the defense and eliminate Tua tag; perhaps replacing him with draft pick?

OptimisticTexan

Howard
Tua
2022 1st rounder.

I think a RD2-03-035 or another RD1 in 2023 would probably put a ribbon on this trade.

Howard
Tua
RD1-03-003
RD1-18-018
2022 RD1
2023 RD1
Or
Howard
Tua
RD1-03-003
RD1-18-018
RD2-03-035
2022 RD1

If the Dolphins wanted to add a solid target in Cooks, he'd be a receiver that Watson would more than appreciate and a solid addition to the Dolphins. Cost:
2021 RD2-018-050

Watson and Cooks make the Dolphins a very formidable team in the AFC East. Bills may not be the favorite after the draft.