Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Should we trade Watson?

Should we trade Watson?

• Yes, without a doubt.

• Yes, depending on compensation (please list your trade scenario).

• No, never.

• No, unless he plays hardball and sits.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Haven't made the SB because of lack of talent around them because they make to much money.

I'll agree, history has shown us that a QB making 13.2% of the salary cap have not won the Super Bowl.

I don't know if we can say Rogers, Brees, & Wilson haven't made the Super Bowl because their teams can't put talent around them. @76Texan demonstrated these teams have had at least 15% left over on top of paying their QBs. They simply chose not to spend it. It wasn't that they couldn't. They chose not to.

I know you feel this way. You're a big DW4 fan.

I think he's a good but not great QB. The team has too many holes in it to fill and the only way I can see to fix this is by trading DW4. I mean they went 4-12 with DW4 with no cap room now or in the future with DW4 eating up 40 mil per yr. Let me take a chance on drafting well rather than being stuck in the lost decade.

Prepare yourself for being p!ssed.

Here is what I don't understand, and i haven't seen anyone address or explain: The Texans would take a $67 million dollar cap hit if they were to trade Watson this off-season, I believe. The contact is a little funky, because a big chunk of the guaranteed money is a $35,000,000 base salary in 2022 which has been guaranteed. According to Spotrac.com, that guaranteed money would still roll forward against the Texans cap if they traded him away. IF that is true, the Texans simply can't trade him this year due to their cap situation (it is impossible). If Watson wanted out bad enough, in theory, he could negotiate changes in his contract that would make it more tradable. However, the NFL labor union is very sensitive to those maneuvers and it isn't clear if he would be able to modify the structure of his contract to allow a trade... Does anyone have clarifying information about these issues? It seems very strange to me that there is so much media coverage of potential trades but the cap ramifications are not being addressed at all.

Here is what I don't understand, and i haven't seen anyone address or explain: The Texans would take a $67 million dollar cap hit if they were to trade Watson this off-season, I believe. The contact is a little funky, because a big chunk of the guaranteed money is a $35,000,000 base salary in 2022 which has been guaranteed. According to Spotrac.com, that guaranteed money would still roll forward against the Texans cap if they traded him away. IF that is true, the Texans simply can't trade him this year due to their cap situation (it is impossible). If Watson wanted out bad enough, in theory, he could negotiate changes in his contract that would make it more tradable. However, the NFL labor union is very sensitive to those maneuvers and it isn't clear if he would be able to modify the structure of his contract to allow a trade... Does anyone have clarifying information about these issues? It seems very strange to me that there is so much media coverage of potential trades but the cap ramifications are not being addressed at all.

I read somewhere that the cap hit would be somewhere around 21 mil next yr. The way I look at next yr is they're going to suck with or without DW4. Take your lumps next yr. Hit on the draft picks in the 2021 draft that you get and you will have two high picks in both the 1st and second rd.

This would allow you to get up to 5 upper level starters including the elite starters if you hit on your draft picks. Plus after taking your medicine in 2021 you can finish cleaning the books before the 2022 FA period begins.

You could do even more if you decided to trade down and acquire even more picks. Imagine adding Wilson in 2021 and Stingley/ Thibadeaux in the 2022 draft. Plus you're out of cap hell.

Plus after taking your medicine in 2021 you can finish cleaning the books before the 2022 FA period begins.

If we trade Watson, cut/trade Watt, cut Cooks, Roby, David & Duke Johnson, Martin, Murray, & Dunn we would be $40M under the cap with 43 players under contract for 2021. We'd be $130M under the cap for 2022 with 25 players under contract.

If we trade Watson, cut/trade Watt, cut Cooks, Roby, David & Duke Johnson, Martin, Murray, & Dunn we would be $40M under the cap with 43 players under contract for 2021. We'd be $130M under the cap for 2022 with 25 players under contract.

Exactly.

I would probably try to restructure Cooks and keep him around as a vet that the rookie QB can rely on. If he doesn't want to cut me a break in these Covid times then, he gone.

And even more importantly we would have 5 to 6 draft picks with low contract. We should have at least three or four round ones that will give us five year contract control which is significant. We cannot look at moving Watson or any other as just the individual player but include all the side effects.

Just me but I would listen to her suggestions, ahem.

If I'm Deshaun Watson, I'm gonna' take the honey and run. :runaway:

Not sure. Anything's possible with this mess. I'm just hoping JJ ends up somewhere where he can get a ring.

I wouldn't be surprised if JJ ends up in Tampa after his tweet last night. I would not blame him at all.

Jerry Rice picks Watson over any others available.

Hall of Fame wide receiver Jerry Rice joined 95.7 The Game on Monday morning and was asked who he would prefer for his former team. Would he want Garoppolo, Watson, Stafford, or Rodgers if the decision were up to him?
"I'm going with the Ferrari. I told you, I'm going with Watson," Rice responded while laughing. "I'm going with Watson. I'm all in because I want to make a statement, saying, 'Hey, look, we're not just trying to put a Band-Aid on anything. We are trying to win a Super Bowl. And I think they have the perfect opportunity if they can get this guy.

Exactly.

I would probably try to restructure Cooks and keep him around as a vet that the rookie QB can rely on. If he doesn't want to cut me a break in these Covid times then, he gone.
My main point is that it’s possible to get the 2022 cap looking good by the move we make in 2021.

Mercilus would be the only guy I’d want to cut in 2022 (or post June 1st). McKinney & Cunningham would have to impress me in 2021 under a new coach

So if something doesn’t happen 26 times in a row it can never happen? Once a bar is set it can’t be overcome?
I guess everything is like posting a link. If it hasn't happened, it will never happen.

No , it doesn't mean it will never happen .... I'm almost positive that some day it will happen.

But what 27 years of history (Rodgers was this years last chance) tells you is that the odds are against it happening.

Your batting average against an MLB pitcher would be a similar figure , you'd eventually be the blind squirrel that found a nut but no- Improbable not impossible.

No , it doesn't mean it will never happen .... I'm almost positive that some day it will happen.

But what 27 years of history (Rodgers was this years last chance) tells you is that the odds are against it happening.

Your batting average against an MLB pitcher would be a similar figure , you'd eventually be the blind squirrel that found a nut but no- Improbable not impossible.
Since you quoted me. It was a joke. But carry on with your silo calculation that doesn't consider the salary hit could be reduced via restructure(s) or roster/salary management.

My main point is that it’s possible to get the 2022 cap looking good by the move we make in 2021.

Mercilus would be the only guy I’d want to cut in 2022 (or post June 1st). McKinney & Cunningham would have to impress me in 2021 under a new coach
Why not trade Mercilus for Miami's X Howard? Their cap and pre June 1st trade dead money almost the same. Mercy is 2 years older but not complaining about his contract.

And a guaranteed 1st pick in the 2022 draft after going 0-16.

Not a bad thing, even though the national media would have a field day. Guess when there was another time the media had a field day? When Jimmy Johnson traded Walker.

If they tank in 2021 then they need to decide if they want Wilson as their future QB and trade down to gather more picks. Then in the 2022 class draft your QB like Howell/Rattler/Slovis etc... Personally I would pick Wilson. Because I like Wilson's arm talent and Steve Young thinks he can become great. With those 2022 QB's a very valuable trade down could probably net you another 4 or 5 picks from a QB needy team and when you combine that with the NYJ picks and you could even trade down from the NJY pick (probably top 5) you could theoretically add 10 to 12 high level differencemakers in the next 3 yrs. by trading DW4. Options are limitless, the 2022 draft is a much better draft for top tier defensive players. Much better than 2021.

Another plus is with a young team you would have lots of cap space available. Do you think Cuck would risk ridicule next yr to set his team up for the rest of the decade? I dont think he would be smart enough to take this approach. The main thing is they have to hit on the QB though.

Last edited:
Since you quoted me. It was a joke. But carry on with your silo calculation that doesn't consider the salary hit could be reduced via restructure(s) or roster/salary management.

The only way so far to beat the system would be to restructure down below 13.2. What QB's would be willing to do that?

People keep making this point as though its an argument against what we are saying about single player cap hits when in reality its saying the exact same thing. Its saying that a player taking the most cap space, historically 13.2%, needs to reduce that hit in order to keep the team competitive. You are saying it "doesn't consider" when in reality thats exactly what it does. Its why, to use @Lucky, example Manning took a 4 million dollar pay cut. Could any other player do that? Yes they absolutely could but the question is will they. Manning did, Brady did, Rodgers didn't, Wilson didn't, Big Ben didn't, so its up to the player themselves to decide if they will take the hit to help the team. Brady only cares about rings and Manning wanted to go out in a blaze of glory so that was their motivation for doing it. We don't yet know which is more important to the new crop of QBs, money or rings, but if I was them it would be money.

However many on here, in Watson's case, seem to think its rings, not sure what he has done to make them think this but hopefully they are correct. Assuming he stays with the Texans, if not then I hope he breaks whatever team he goes to bank.

Because Miami would have to actually want to pay Mercilus money to play football for them?
Taking bad contracts would have to be part of the deal for the team that gets Watson. Trading Mercilus would make up the difference in the cap hit taken in a Watson trade.

Not a bad thing, even though the national media would have a field day. Guess when there was another time the media had a field day? When Jimmy Johnson traded Walker.

If they tank in 2021 then they need to decide if they want Wilson as their future QB and trade down to gather more picks. Then in the 2022 class draft your QB like Howell/Rattler/Slovis etc... Personally I would pick Wilson. Because I like Wilson's arm talent and Steve Young thinks he can become great. With those 2022 QB's a very valuable trade down could probably net you another 4 or 5 picks from a QB needy team and when you combine that with the NYJ picks and you could even trade down from the NJY pick (probably top 5) you could theoretically add 10 to 12 high level differencemakers in the next 3 yrs. by trading DW4. Options are limitless, the 2022 draft is a much better draft for top tier defensive players. Much better than 2021.

Another plus is with a young team you would have lots of cap space available. Do you think Cuck would risk ridicule next yr to set his team up for the rest of the decade? I dont think he would be smart enough to take this approach. The main thing is they have to hit on the QB though.
I think Cuck can only do one season at a time and he finds that very difficult. Anything more than the season at hand taxes his mind completely.

Taking bad contracts would have to be part of the deal for the team that gets Watson. Trading Mercilus would make up the difference in the cap hit taken in a Watson trade.

I've got zero issue with that in regards to a Watson deal, said as much in hypotheticals with both Miami and NY.

I didn't read that as a Watson trade proposal though. Thought it was written as an option versus simply cutting Mercilus.

My bad if I read it wrong.

People keep making this point as though its an argument against what we are saying about single player cap hits when in reality its saying the exact same thing. Its saying that a player taking the most cap space, historically 13.2%, needs to reduce that hit in order to keep the team competitive. You are saying it "doesn't consider" when in reality thats exactly what it does. Its why, to use @Lucky, example Manning took a 4 million dollar pay cut. Could any other player do that? Yes they absolutely could but the question is will they. Manning did, Brady did, Rodgers didn't, Wilson didn't, Big Ben didn't, so its up to the player themselves to decide if they will take the hit to help the team. Brady only cares about rings and Manning wanted to go out in a blaze of glory so that was their motivation for doing it. We don't yet know which is more important to the new crop of QBs, money or rings, but if I was them it would be money.

However many on here, in Watson's case, seem to think its rings, not sure what he has done to make them think this but hopefully they are correct. Assuming he stays with the Texans, if not then I hope he breaks whatever team he goes to bank.
I really don't care to get into this debate again. But I will make these points. When I mention looking at restructure or roster management, it's not only about the QB. It's about the roster. The point being that if your QB is taking more than the 15% threshold, your GM cannot have players like David Johnson, Murray, Cobb, and Mercilus whose production does not merit those contracts and the cap space.

Right or wrong. I don't see any differences between a QB making $40M and being over the threshold and a QB making $26M, being under the threshold and having Mercilus with his production at $14M. It's still $40M combined in cap space and over the threshold. Maybe that's where our disconnect is.

Last edited:
No matter what the Texans do with Watson, I'm looking at the 2023 season, at the very earliest, before I can even hope to see the Texans as a somewhat complete team. A team that can compete on both sides of the ball as well as special teams.

It's a sad state of affairs when you're best option for just having a respectable NFL franchise in the city is for the team to trade it's greatest asset just so you can dump salary.

With each passing year I have become more and more apathetic about the local sports teams. Really, sports in general. By the time the Texans are average again, I have to wonder if I'll even care.

Without the Astros cheating scandal, the Harden saga, and now the Watson saga, Houston would be an afterthought in the minds of the sports world. And as Texans fans, our glory years were when Watt was in his prime.

Anyway, trade Watson. He could have tweeted at anytime over the past few weeks he loved the fans in Houston, or at least appreciated us and wants to stay but he hasn't. It appears he doesn't care about the fans and his goals now are more about yachts, Instagram models, buying BMW's for his "fam", and improving his brand. With or without him, this team is going to suck for awhile anyway.

No matter what the Texans do with Watson, I'm looking at the 2023 season, at the very earliest, before I can even hope to see the Texans as a somewhat complete team. A team that can compete on both sides of the ball as well as special teams.

It's a sad state of affairs when you're best option for just having a respectable NFL franchise in the city is for the team to trade it's greatest asset just so you can dump salary.

With each passing year I have become more and more apathetic about the local sports teams. Really, sports in general. By the time the Texans are average again, I have to wonder if I'll even care.

Without the Astros cheating scandal, the Harden saga, and now the Watson saga, Houston would be an afterthought in the minds of the sports world. And as Texans fans, our glory years were when Watt was in his prime.

Anyway, trade Watson. He could have tweeted at anytime over the past few weeks he loved the fans in Houston, or at least appreciated us and wants to stay but he hasn't. It appears he doesn't care about the fans and his goals now are more about yachts, Instagram models, buying BMW's for his "fam", and improving his brand. With or without him, this team is going to suck for awhile anyway.

This is my point

Time for a complete rebuild.

I hope everyone keeps this in mind once we have a new coach and not expect n overnight turnaround

Paul Rucker
@PaulRucker19

SOURCES: hearing that a #Blockbuster deal may be in place between #WFT and the #Texans that would send defensive rookie of the year #ChaseYoung to #Houston in exchange for #DeshaunWatson. Details to come.
Love Chase but you're planning on completely tanking and getting your qb in 2022 if this is their plan. Would need to be Chase, their 19th pick and a 1st and 2nd for 2022 imo. But I'd much prefer trading him to the jets or Miami this year though and getting our qb this year.

Because Miami would have to actually want to pay Mercilus money to play football for them?
I think it's as others have said Whitney was one of the first players to realize what was going on with the Texans and just shifted down gears and played to not get injured. I also think the dolphins would play him one hundred percent on the line as a defensive end. With a covid-19 cap supposedly being very low and many NFL teams having to drastically cut high-dollar contracts, Miami is going to have a much more difficult time Trading their star cornerback than the Jets did with their star safety. I realize that I could be wrong but this is the way I am seeing it play out.

The Texans were stable and at least operated respectably before we brought O'Brien and he broke with the "choir boy" image and brought in dumb, low IQ players who would trash hotel rooms and get in other disciplinary problems and such.

So I mean if that's the determining factor of whether we're stable or not, maybe it's not such a bad thing to consider a return to.

Just don't think anyone in the franchise is capable of actually pulling it off. That's why I don't buy the "Easterby!" criticism in that "choir boy" regard. He's a Patriots cancer. And so is Caserio. You don't import cancer to get rid of cancer.

This team needs to be stripped down to the bone. That includes coaching. That includes Patriots management. That includes Watson and whoever else.

But think of the choir we will have.
You know who doesn't give a hoot about how many times you prayed last night? The new guy in Jacksonville. That's why this rebuild would be such a fail.. The Jags are already doing it, and will do it better.

Last edited:
Love Chase but you're planning on completely tanking and getting your qb in 2022 if this is their plan. Would need to be Chase, their 19th pick and a 1st and 2nd for 2022 imo. But I'd much prefer trading him to the jets or Miami this year though and getting our qb this year.
1.19 from WFT then move it for Stafford?

You know who doesn't give a hoot about how many times you prayed last night? The new guy in Jacksonville. That's why this rebuild would be such a fail.. The Jags are already doing it, and will do it better.
But can they sing. FTR my religion is science, 13.5 BILLION years worth. BOOM!

Back