Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Shaub gets MRI on Hip

He is out for the season with a Lisfranc injury. The Lisfranc injury is a fracture and/or dislocation of the midfoot region. In a 300 pound lineman, it can be career ending.

Edit: Sorry, that was Barber's injury..not Briesel's. In a light player, this still could be a career altering injury.

i was about to say, damn and the dude came back out to play.......

Well yeah. I can tell you what my body language would be after that collision.

6 feet under. It's a wonder he didn't break something.

The body language game is a hard one. On one hand, you don't want to show you are hurt. On the other hand, like the JJ Watt shoved into Big Ben hit that resulted in a penalty, sometimes a QB has to show that a hit hurt to maybe draw a flag. That's just how things work.

Schaub got $50,000 worth of fines from Jared Allen with no flag because he was able to complete passes without crumpling after the hit.

I thought it was a good no call because Schaub initiated the contactwith Ngata .... He just happened to be in the way of where Schaub wanted to go.
Didnt seem like much of a hit at all. Hell , Schaub kinda jumped and was able to throw the ball over the top of the guy ..... The "Other two Ravens" in on the play hit Schaub with more force.

From your friends at the Chron ....

mediaManager

I see your point, but the Texans DID miss Leach against the Raens yesterday, if only on the 4th and 1 that failed miserably.

u can't really say that foster was facemasked leach or no leach if the refs fail to make a fm call then ur not gonna get that one

He is out for the season with a Lisfranc injury. The Lisfranc injury is a fracture and/or dislocation of the midfoot region. In a 300 pound lineman, it can be career ending.

Edit: Sorry, that was Barber's injury..not Briesel's. In a light player, this still could be a career altering injury.

wooo you scared me on that one, the oline can't have anymore injurys.

Well yeah. I can tell you what my body language would be after that collision.

6 feet under. It's a wonder he didn't break something.

The body language game is a hard one. On one hand, you don't want to show you are hurt. On the other hand, like the JJ Watt shoved into Big Ben hit that resulted in a penalty, sometimes a QB has to show that a hit hurt to maybe draw a flag. That's just how things work.

Schaub got $50,000 worth of fines from Jared Allen with no flag because he was able to complete passes without crumpling after the hit.
I'm admittedly nitpicking Schaub, but he doesn't project leadership when the going gets tough. I'm not questioning his toughness either. He's plenty tough. You give an example of Roethlisberger hamming it up, but he has great body language if you ask me...he's the kind of guy players rally around in the 4th quarter when the going gets tough. Schaub? He's Gifford Neilson...'ol milkshake breath...a good player, but not too compelling.

TK, I'm always open to observations. What I remember was that he was on his knees, but not with one in front of his other (or crossing over) and his body was bending down at the waist straight down to the ground. As I'm sure you know, direct hits to the hip area again can do a number on the back as well as the hip. Injury to the back or the hip will cause hip and buttocks muscles to go into spasm, and if YOUR observations are truer to form, it would still be a very appropriate maneuver. I have a feeling the Texans would go with a hip bruise for public consumption before they would reveal a disc injury.

Definitely, the Texans try to make any injury that's not season-ending sound minor. It was only a quick shot and I only saw it once so I could be mistaken but I remember saying he was doing yoga on the sidelines. The way you describe with both knees forward is also a yoga pose but with both knees forward the length is through the lower back and butt, not so much the hip like the lunge/crossover one I described. I'd certainly be interested to know exactly which one he was doing because despite the similar position they are two totally different stretches.

Schaub's carpet isn't facing mecca

Think about it. The Texans bench is on the West side of Reliant so Matt al-Schaub would be facing East. If you were to flatten a globe Mecca would be due East from Houston. He's got it right. Give him some credit. :D

Schaub has no AJ, an unreliable JJ, and a curiously is-he-still-hurting-or-is-he-not Foster. Plus, his offensive line (IMO) is pussing out on him and sort of ringing the bell out there.

If he doesn't completely lose his mind and decide he's had a nice run in Houston and accept defeat, I'll be impressed. Because all things considered, he's been better than David Carr and he's not had a HC (Kubiak) who can put together REAL game plans to beat defenses.

Kubiak's tried to put an elite offense out there, centered upon AJ and anchored by Foster, with Schaub steering the wheel. When people say we're a "finesse" team I think I finally get it. They're saying, IMO, that Kubiak is not trying to create a team that can out-think, out-fight, and strategically BEAT opponents. He's trying to stack the deck with four aces and say "HA! I beat you!" when in reality, he's not good at poker to begin with.

He's trying to finesse his way to victory instead of saying "It doesn't matter WHO plays for the Texans, we're always better and we're tougher and we'll find a way to win games even when 'our best players' are down."

Look at what we are: We're the ones who taunt the Colts and say "You're nothing without Peyton Manning!" And yet we are nothing without Andre Johnson. Meanwhile, a team like the Titans (and I literally gulp my own vomit when I say this) has been in and out of fame and destitution...and yet here they are, playing without a world beater QB and without a world beater WR and a RB who sat out the preseason and hasn't looked like a world beater this year. First-time NFL head coach, Frank Freaking Bush is on their staff, and yet they look very viable to win the South at this point. Why?

Because, IMO, Bud Adams and his front office finds ways to acquire coaches who coach whatever talent they have and build them up into being better than they probably are. Taking a group of guys and driving them and willing them to being better than they probably are. THEN...when a Titans team actually gets some decent talent to add to their persona, whammo! it clicks and it works. It sustains the foundation of who they have been built to be.

There is no real foundation on this Texans team. Kubiak has just tried to find great players, put them to work in his style of offense, and he thinks it all clicks somehow and one day the perfect storm will arise and we'll be unstoppable. And he's aided and abetted by a first-time NFL owner who is willing to see if it will work out that way.

Love him or hate him, Bud Adams had a competitive Oilers team that broke up and he announced the departure for Tennessee...drafted Steve McNair, and soon had his Titans into the Super Bowl. He's navigated the team and its fans through the recent turmoil with Vince Young and Jeff Fisher, and has his new coach and his new QB looking fairly decent in just their first year there. You can't help but think that, despite Bud Adams' shenanigans, he's better at fielding a FOOTBALL TEAM than McNair is. Top to bottom, despite the Vince Young mistake, Bud Adams has ran circles around Bob McNair.

It just pisses me off. It shouldn't be so, but it is. It's reality. Some goons should NOT prosper. But they do. Will our guys ever make a dent in the AFC South? 10 years and we haven't. No #18 in our way this year, can we take advantage of it? I won't answer. Just leaving it there for deep thought.

Schaub's carpet isn't facing mecca

Think about it. The Texans bench is on the West side of Reliant so Matt al-Schaub would be facing East. If you were to flatten a globe Mecca would be due East from Houston. He's got it right. Give him some credit. :D
I think you are right. His qiblah is as accurate as his right arm...I stand corrected.

Schaub? He's Gifford Neilson...'ol milkshake breath...a good player, but not too compelling.
I was going to say Chris Chandler, but I get what you're saying.

I don't want to trash Schaub. I thought that the 2008-2010 versions were good enough to win with. Matt wasn't great, but it wasn't his fault (entirely) that the Texans couldn't get over the hump. The 2011 Schaub is not good enough to win with. When QBs are in the midst of record shattering performances, Matt is having his worst season as a Texan. It's not all the lack of AJ, either. Schaub was spotty prior to Johnson's injury.

Matt was never a great athlete (compared to other NFL QBs). But he looks less mobile and more fragile that ever before. To his credit, Schaub continues to answer the bell. Which is what I like about him most. And I do think he has leadership ability. I think the void in leadership lies elsewhere. I don't believe Schaub will play 16 games this season. The next hit could put him down for awhile. That's when we will see where the leadership comes from (or doesn't) in this offense.

I'm admittedly nitpicking Schaub, but he doesn't project leadership when the going gets tough. I'm not questioning his toughness either. He's plenty tough. You give an example of Roethlisberger hamming it up, but he has great body language if you ask me...he's the kind of guy players rally around in the 4th quarter when the going gets tough. Schaub? He's Gifford Neilson...'ol milkshake breath...a good player, but not too compelling.

I was going to say Chris Chandler, but I get what you're saying.

I don't want to trash Schaub. I thought that the 2008-2010 versions were good enough to win with. Matt wasn't great, but it wasn't his fault (entirely) that the Texans couldn't get over the hump. The 2011 Schaub is not good enough to win with. When QBs are in the midst of record shattering performances, Matt is having his worst season as a Texan. It's not all the lack of AJ, either. Schaub was spotty prior to Johnson's injury.

Matt was never a great athlete (compared to other NFL QBs). But he looks less mobile and more fragile that ever before. To his credit, Schaub continues to answer the bell. Which is what I like about him most. And I do think he has leadership ability. I think the void in leadership lies elsewhere. I don't believe Schaub will play 16 games this season. The next hit could put him down for awhile. That's when we will see where the leadership comes from (or doesn't) in this offense.
Chris chan chandler chandelier is a pretty good comparison physically. He had a beautiful deep ball though. Not many qb's had that much accuracy deep. Heck, I think McNair would have played sooner but Chandler was just so damn good...but he was a balsa wood plane at the end of the day.

I see the nice guy, big body, smart but highly immobile player Giff was. Similar leadership skills (not barren, but not exactly Sgt Rock). I totally agree on the next hit thing. He's really looking like his body is not gonna hold up this season. With the Titans new revamped front 7, I'm a little worried about him getting through the game Sunday.

Chris chan chandler chandelier is a pretty good comparison physically. He had a beautiful deep ball though. Not many qb's had that much accuracy deep. Heck, I think McNair would have played sooner but Chandler was just so damn good...but he was a balsa wood plane at the end of the day.

I see the nice guy, big body, smart but highly immobile player Giff was. Similar leadership skills (not barren, but not exactly Sgt Rock). I totally agree on the next hit thing. He's really looking like his body is not gonna hold up this season. With the Titans new revamped front 7, I'm a little worried about him getting through the game Sunday.

Zierlein made an interesting observation.

Duane Brown had more trouble than the Texans probably would have liked with Terrell Suggs, but Matt Schaub needs to be careful about setting up a little too deep in the pocket against speed rushers. One of the best ways to protect your QB is to have your QB set up at a known yardage for offensive linemen. If Schaub sets up even a yard deeper than he is supposed to, he is making it easier on DEs and I saw some of that on Sunday. With that said, Duane Brown has to keep his technique up.

Kubiak's tried to put an elite offense out there, centered upon AJ and anchored by Foster, with Schaub steering the wheel.

Get real. Not trying to defense Kubiak, but this is just stupid. Kubiak hasn't tried to put an "elite" offense out there, he's given all his talent to the defense side of the ball & coaching his ass off to get a bunch of also rans & AJ to perform at an NFL level.

That's coaching... maybe not head coaching, but that's coaching when you've got more UDFAs than 1st round picks on offense that can & has gone toe-to-toe with any offense in the league.

AJ wasn't his pick, but he's gone to the Pro-Bowl under Kubiak. So has Matt Schaub who every body is calling a back-up QB now. OD has gone to the Pro-Bowl, that's a 4th round pick. Arian Foster went to the Pro-Bowl, maybe that had more to do with Arian, but it didn't hurt that Kubiak put a Pro-Bowl (a forgotten journeyman really) in front of him.

& it might sound silly now, but I bet Chris Meyers gets a pro bowl bid.... maybe not starting, depending on how Mangold's season goes. He's playing his ass off & that is without a doubt Kubiak's man.

Kubiak has many faults & you know them all. No reason to make **** up.

That wasn't at Reliant.

Just bring in Matt "smell my fingers" Leinhart (I'm sorry but I've never been good at spelling his last name.) because Schaub is feeling woozy!

Schaub has no AJ, an unreliable JJ, and a curiously is-he-still-hurting-or-is-he-not Foster. Plus, his offensive line (IMO) is pussing out on him and sort of ringing the bell out there.

All you're missing is "The line just needs time to jell" and we have the David Carr discussions all over again.

Back