Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Senior Bowl 2022

I think the draft is loaded with the receivers who possess solid route running, larger catch radius, and are good after the catch. Personally, the Texans are missing that healthy and bigger version of William Fuller (6-1 @ 184 lbs) at wideout. A receiver that forces defenses to commit their safety to help over the top. That would free up your Cooks, Collins, TE’s, and SWR to do their damage. The WR who gets my attention is WR- Chris Olave, Ohio St (6-1 @ 195 lbs) and has been clocked in the 40 by Ohio St at 4.38. If the Texans could put Olave at WR1, Collins at WR2, and Cooks at WR3/SWR….that could be a very solid trio of targets for Mills.
I love Olave! His route running capability alone would put him as #1 for our group. But unless we bring in more draft capital, I don’t see how we could get him.

I love Olave! His route running capability alone would put him as #1 for our group. But unless we bring in more draft capital, I don’t see how we could get him.

Tunsil could provide some draft capital…..not to mention he’s about the only asset the Texans have outside of Cooks this season. Cooks could return at minimum a RD3 and at best a RD2. Cooks could be moved if the Texans have a plan for replacing him with a couple receivers like Danny Gray (SMU) or Samori Toure (Nebraska)….both who should be on the board after RD4.

I think this game has eliminated Kinnard from my list. He was beaten like a drum.
I wish they had played Kinnard more at OG. I don't think he has any tape playing inside.

I finally got around to watching all of the Senior Bowl game. I like watching the practices. But, the game adds a tick more speed and intensity.

If I had the #1 pick from this game, it would be Trevor Penning. He's much more polished than I assumed. He has the size. He has the attitude. I'm eager to see him test, but I think he will do fine. Reminds me of the former Hog LT Joe Jacoby.

I came away liking the QBs more than I thought I would. Pickett is a polished WCO QB. Has all the actions. Ridder looks like a natural for the WCO, as well. Willis has so much talent, but is so raw. The guy that really jumped out to me was Howell. Everyone around him was struggling. But he remained poised and played to his instincts. There's something there that I didn't see before.

Carson Strong had a terrible game. He looks so stiff. I think he's a 3rd day pick. Maybe. The NFL Network guys were trying to sell Zappe as a backup. I don't see it. Looks like a try hard camp arm.

Quick hits on a few offensive players:

- Abram Smith will be a NFL player. Max effort and can do so many things. The perfect #3 RB.

- Doesn't a TE have to block a little bit? Tell me when you see Grant Calcaterra make a block.

- Zion Johnson gets a lot of love. Very aggressive. But he holds. A lot. Didn't get called, so he had that going for him.

I think Calvin Austin III will end up being the fastest. He is expected to run in the 4.2s. He could be one hell of a slot receiver. I would love to see him on the board late, but he could be off the board in the 3rd.

I'd put Olave in the slot as well. He will go somewhere in the mid to late 1st round. I think that's too high for us. We have more pressing needs.

I like Charleston Rambo late. He might even go undrafted. I think he has the ability to be a quality starter for years.

Another WR I would like to see come to the Texans is Alec Pierce from Cincinnati. He's 6'-3" and high points the ball much like DHop does. I think he is expected to go in the 4th. If so, I'm racing to the podium with his name on the card.

I wish they had played Kinnard more at OG. I don't think he has any tape playing inside.

I finally got around to watching all of the Senior Bowl game. I like watching the practices. But, the game adds a tick more speed and intensity.

If I had the #1 pick from this game, it would be Trevor Penning. He's much more polished than I assumed. He has the size. He has the attitude. I'm eager to see him test, but I think he will do fine. Reminds me of the former Hog LT Joe Jacoby.

I came away liking the QBs more than I thought I would. Pickett is a polished WCO QB. Has all the actions. Ridder looks like a natural for the WCO, as well. Willis has so much talent, but is so raw. The guy that really jumped out to me was Howell. Everyone around him was struggling. But he remained poised and played to his instincts. There's something there that I didn't see before.

Carson Strong had a terrible game. He looks so stiff. I think he's a 3rd day pick. Maybe. The NFL Network guys were trying to sell Zappe as a backup. I don't see it. Looks like a try hard camp arm.

Quick hits on a few offensive players:

- Abram Smith will be a NFL player. Max effort and can do so many things. The perfect #3 RB.

- Doesn't a TE have to block a little bit? Tell me when you see Grant Calcaterra make a block.

- Zion Johnson gets a lot of love. Very aggressive. But he holds. A lot. Didn't get called, so he had that going for him.
I didn't get to watch the game. I don't have cable anymore.

From what I have seen of Penning from highlights, I'd have to agree with you.

I know from watching him in the past, Calcaterra is a decent blocker. Since I couldn't watch the Senior Bowl, I can't respond to what he did there.

Agreed about Kinnard, I still think he will be a badazz OG. I'm hoping after the Sr.Bowl showing either Kinnard or Salyer fall to 3-68. I would probably find a way to trade up into the low 50's and pick Kinnard after picking Pickens/WanDale Robinson or the best best CB that fell to 2-37. Agreed about Penning, he's going to be somebody's starting LT for a long time It will take him next yr to grow into the position.

Wasn't high on the QB class but if I was a team like the Redskins I would pick the BPA in the 1st then trade back into the 1st and pick Howell. He reminds me of a younger more mobile Brees. He can make all of the trows.

Late rd RB's, who do you like the best? Smith/Corbin/Chandler/Ingram/Strong? 1 of these guys will likely be there in the 6th. I could see Calcatera fall to the 6th. I dont remember him being that bad of a blocker at OU. Concussion issues dropped him this far, IMHO

I would draft Zion 1-24 + if I wanted a C.

Guy I hope Caserio can trade down a bit and bring Kenyon Green home. I love Neal but would rather get Green at say 1-10 or so than Neal/ Ikwonu at 1-3.

Last edited:
I think Calvin Austin III will end up being the fastest. He is expected to run in the 4.2s. He could be one hell of a slot receiver. I would love to see him on the board late, but he could be off the board in the 3rd.

I'd put Olave in the slot as well. He will go somewhere in the mid to late 1st round. I think that's too high for us. We have more pressing needs.

I like Charleston Rambo late. He might even go undrafted. I think he has the ability to be a quality starter for years.

Another WR I would like to see come to the Texans is Alec Pierce from Cincinnati. He's 6'-3" and high points the ball much like DHop does. I think he is expected to go in the 4th. If so, I'm racing to the podium with his name on the card.

Would you have a problem with something like this?

Rd. 1-3 Hanilton
Rd,2-37 Brisker
3-68 Kinnard Falls because of Sr Bowl
3-80 Austin
4-135 Dulcich

All of these guys are fast difference makers.

If you dont pick a WR in the first 3 rds. Then I like Phillips/ Rambo type in the 4th or later. If Caserio doesn't go Neal/Ikwonu in the 1st I could see a run on guys like Brisker in the 2nd.

Would you be happy with a draft that looks like this?

Rd.1- 3 Neal
Rd2- 37 Brisker
3-68 Kinnard
3-80 Goodrich
4-135 Rambo

I would consider something like this to be a very successful draft.

Would you have a problem with something like this?

Rd. 1-3 Hanilton
Rd,2-37 Brisker
3-68 Kinnard Falls because of Sr Bowl
3-80 Austin
4-135 Dulcich

All of these guys are fast difference makers.
1. I'd be happy with Hamilton
2. Why would you pick Brisker after just picking Hamilton?
3a. Kinnard is a hard pass. I think we can find better value.
3b. Austin is one that I want, but we might be able to get Danny Gray later. Still, it would be hard to pass up Austin.
4. I think the 4th is too high for him. If Jake Ferguson is already gone, maybe, but...

If you dont pick a WR in the first 3 rds. Then I like Phillips/ Rambo type in the 4th or later. If Caserio doesn't go Neal/Ikwonu in the 1st I could see a run on guys like Brisker in the 2nd.

Would you be happy with a draft that looks like this?

Rd.1- 3 Neal
Rd2- 37 Brisker
3-68 Kinnard
3-80 Goodrich
4-135 Rambo

I would consider something like this to be a very successful draft.
Now that it looks like we will be going with and inside ZBS or power gap scheme, Neal makes more sense to me. I would still prefer a trade down though.

1. I'm ok with Neal.
2. If we pass on Hamilton, Brisker makes more since.
3a. Kinnard...still a no.
3b. I'm ok with Goodrich here
4. Too high for Rambo. I think he falls to the 6th or even goes undrafted. I'd target Alec Pierce here.

1. I'd be happy with Hamilton
2. Why would you pick Brisker after just picking Hamilton?
3a. Kinnard is a hard pass. I think we can find better value.
3b. Austin is one that I want, but we might be able to get Danny Gray later. Still, it would be hard to pass up Austin.
4. I think the 4th is too high for him. If Jake Ferguson is already gone, maybe, but...

Now that it looks like we will be going with and inside ZBS or power gap scheme, Neal makes more sense to me. I would still prefer a trade down though.

1. I'm ok with Neal.
2. If we pass on Hamilton, Brisker makes more since.
3a. Kinnard...still a no.
3b. I'm ok with Goodrich here
4. Too high for Rambo. I think he falls to the 6th or even goes undrafted. I'd target Alec Pierce here.

I these are not only the 2 best S in the draft they are cornerstone type guys who can cover for a multitude of issues. You can drop Hamilton down to nickle lb on 3rd downs if you want or have 2 Safeties that can cover the whole field. They also can matchup with RB's and TE's better than anybody the Texans have had since Manning was added in FA with Quin. I'm just going BPA and these 2 guys are BPA and solve some long standing issues.

I think Kinnard will be a really good OG. He played out of position at RT. He doesn't have the feet to play RT.

I like Rambo more than Pierce. But I can see why you like Pierce. What Rd do you see Rambo going in? I don't think he makes it to the 6th.

Last edited:
I these are not only the 2 best S in the draft they are cornerstone type guys who can cover for a multitude of issues. You can drop Hamilton down to buckle lb on 3rd downs if you want or have 2 Safeties that can cover the whole field. They also can matchup with RB's and TE's better than anybody the Texans have had since Manning was added in FA with Quin. I'm just going BPA and these 2 guys are BPA and solve some long standing issues.

I think Kinnard will be a really good OG. He played out of position at RT. He doesn't have the feet to play RT.

I like Rambo more than Pierce. But I can see why you like Pierce. What Rd do you see Rambo going in? I don't think he makes it to the 6th.
I think we have too many other needs to use our 1st two picks on safeties.

I just don't think Kinnard is an upgrade over ANY of our current OL.

I think Rambo goes in the 6th. I like Alec Pierce better because I like the way he high points the ball. At 6'3" with a good vertical, Pierce makes the 50/50 balls more catchable. I'd compare him to Jordy Nelson, or a white D'Hop. To me, he plays a lot like D'Hop, but is less fluid.

I think we have too many other needs to use our 1st two picks on safeties.

I just don't think Kinnard is an upgrade over ANY of our current OL.

I think Rambo goes in the 6th. I like Alec Pierce better because I like the way he high points the ball. At 6'3" with a good vertical, Pierce makes the 50/50 balls more catchable. I'd compare him to Jordy Nelson, or a white D'Hop. To me, he plays a lot like D'Hop, but is less fluid.

I'm looking for players at this point, The team isn't going to be good next yr. Both of these guys are going to be great players.

Drafting for need at this point is a mistake.

Like I said we see Kinnard differently.

Hope Rambo is there in the 6th.

Pierce doesn't have the short area quickness that Nelson had. IMHO

I'm looking for players at this point, The team isn't going to be good next yr. Both of these guys are going to be great players.

Drafting for need at this point is a mistake.

Like I said we see Kinnard differently.

Hope Rambo is there in the 6th.

Pierce doesn't have the short area quickness that Nelson had. IMHO
Pierce is actually expected to time faster than Nelson. He's expected to run about 4.39 to 4.41. He has a large catch radius, and has a 40" vert.

I know from watching him in the past, Calcaterra is a decent blocker. Since I couldn't watch the Senior Bowl, I can't respond to what he did there.
When he wasn't whiffing on blocks, he was getting blown up.
Late rd RB's, who do you like the best? Smith/Corbin/Chandler/Ingram/Strong?
Corbin & Strong have more lead back potential. Smith and Chandler have more versatility.

The Senior Bowl lacked in talent one very important position group, for Texans and Mills, WR.

Specificly Jahan Dotson, Penn State 5-11 185 as Cooks replacement. By not showing up to get dissected @ the Senior Bowl may allow him to slide to Texans in 2nd round. Critical for Mills to have that player with quickness to separate and get open early in his progressions. Pair him with OT Evan Neal #3 both home runs for this offense.

Agreed about Kinnard, I still think he will be a badazz OG. I'm hoping after the Sr.Bowl showing either Kinnard or Salyer fall to 3-68. I would probably find a way to trade up into the low 50's and pick Kinnard after picking Pickens/WanDale Robinson or the best best CB that fell to 2-37. Agreed about Penning, he's going to be somebody's starting LT for a long time It will take him next yr to grow into the position.

Wasn't high on the QB class but if I was a team like the Redskins I would pick the BPA in the 1st then trade back into the 1st and pick Howell. He reminds me of a younger more mobile Brees. He can make all of the trows.

Late rd RB's, who do you like the best? Smith/Corbin/Chandler/Ingram/Strong? 1 of these guys will likely be there in the 6th. I could see Calcatera fall to the 6th. I dont remember him being that bad of a blocker at OU. Concussion issues dropped him this far, IMHO

I would draft Zion 1-24 + if I wanted a C.

Guy I hope Caserio can trade down a bit and bring Kenyon Green home. I love Neal but would rather get Green at say 1-10 or so than Neal/ Ikwonu at 1-3.
I'm all for the trade down for more picks plan. I'd be ok with Ekwonu or Green after a trade down. If we can trade down to 24, I would gladly take Zion. Morrissey has a future at Center, so Zion could play G, and backup at C.

Salyer could go anywhere from the late 1st to somewhere in the 4th. Grades for him are all over the place. Some seem to think he is injury prone. I think he'd be a steal in the 3rd.

We'll continue to disagree on Kinnard. I think his ceiling is as a backup in the NFL. As bad as our OL did, I don't even see him as an upgrade there.

RB's in the 6th? Hmmmm...I like Strong, but he'll probably go in the 4th. Abram Smith will probably go in the 6th, but I'm not really a fan. Ty Chandler I'm just kinda meh on. Chandler may go undrafted. Ingram may go undrafted, but I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him. Other than Strong, Jashaun Corbin is the one I'm highest on out of the ones you mentioned. Corbin will probably go undrafted, but could go as high as the 6th. I'd like to bring Corbin in as an UDFA.

D'Vonte Price from FIU might be a decent option in the 6th.

Tyrion Davis-Price from LSU is also an interesting option, and could possibly be had in the 7th.

Tyler Badie from Missou is one of my sleeper picks. He should be available in 6th or later, and may go undrafted.

Cade Mays had a tough early week of practices. Thursday and Friday he improved his play and on Game Day he played just fine. If teams totally disregard his better practices at the end of the week and during the game…..it should make him a nice pickup in RD5 or RD6.

Notes on some defensive players from the Senior Bowl game:

Perrion Winfrey was fantastic. My question is, where was this production against lesser competition during the season?

I haven't seen Boye Mafe in any 1st round mocks. Based off his results in Mobile, he should be in the mix. Off his production at Minnesota, meh. Who is the real Mafe?

DeAngelo Malone moves like a WR. How much weight must he add (234 lbs) to compete in the NFL? Will that effect his explosion?

I'm good with the Pierce and Austin picks. As far as Neal goes, I really don't want him. If at all possible, I want to trade down and get Tyler Linderbaum. I really don't think Neal will fit the blocking scheme the Texans want to go with. I really think the Texans are planning on moving to a zone blocking scheme, so smaller, quicker OLine would be better. Cordell Volson would be a better fit at OT. However, I think we already have the OT's we need for the ZBS. To convert to a ZBS, we only need a couple pieces. If we try to go forward with a power blocking scheme, we would have to replace almost every OLineman we have.
Since this post, the Texans have hired George Warhop as the new OL coach and will be moving to a physical power blocking scheme. Heck will possibly make the transition. Hopefully, but not for certain, Howard, also. We need to draft two OG's and an OC.

Back