Thumbs Up or Down

• Up

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • Down

Votes: 35 68.6%

• Total voters

bah007

Hall of Fame
Ok someone tell me how he makes this roster? The only way he has a chance is to shine on ST. There is nothing physically about him that suggests return skills. I don't know for sure, but I'm not aware of any major ST successes as gunner or anything else. So, if he can't return kicks, and he isn't some major upgrade at another position on ST, why again was he drafted?

I'm all for bringing in competition, but he is a UDFA masquerading as a 5th rd draft choice. At best he is PS material. I'm not suggesting there was a HOF'er there, but come on. I thought we got rid of the smartest guy in the room attitude with Kubes and now we still have it. It's festering like moldy cheese.

Completely safe:
Hopkins
Strong
Shorts

Very likely safe:
Washington

Bubble:
Demaris Johnson
Martin
We could likely stash him this year and nobody would steal him from our PS.

But I'm of the opinion that he is replacing Martin. I doubt he returns kicks but he'll be more useful on other elements of special teams. I also think he'll be a better slot receiver.

Like the Kevin Johnson pick, I think this is our guys planning for the future and taking a shot at a guy that they think has long term potential. I don't think we're drafting for this season. That frustrates some fans but it doesn't bother me. I'd rather build for next year because I don't see any shot at a championship this year. I think this regime realizes that as well.

Contracts for Johnson, Martin, and Washington all expire after this season. I think Johnson and Martin are gone then. They could probably bring Washington back for another year if they like what they get from him. Those moves would get you this going into next year's offseason.

X - Hopkins, Washington
Z - Shorts/Strong
S - Shorts/Mumphery

I think that's a solid group if Strong and Mumphery both fill the roles that the staff drafted them for, and Shorts can stay healthy.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
We could likely stash him this year and nobody would steal him from our PS.

But I'm of the opinion that he is replacing Martin. I doubt he returns kicks but he'll be more useful on other elements of special teams. I also think he'll be a better slot receiver.

Like the Kevin Johnson pick, I think this is our guys planning for the future and taking a shot at a guy that they think has long term potential. I don't think we're drafting for this season. That frustrates some fans but it doesn't bother me. I'd rather build for next year because I don't see any shot at a championship this year. I think this regime realizes that as well.

Contracts for Johnson, Martin, and Washington all expire after this season. I think Johnson and Martin are gone then. They could probably bring Washington back for another year if they like what they get from him. Those moves would get you this going into next year's offseason.

X - Hopkins, Washington
Z - Shorts/Strong
S - Shorts/Mumphery

I think that's a solid group if Strong and Mumphery both fill the roles that the staff drafted them for.
Agreed, not playing for this yr. That's why I wanted Dupree. A young LB corps of Clowney/McKinney/Dupree with some Cushing mixed in is future top 5. Instead Rick drafts Johnson and gives 26 mil, 10 mil guaranteed to Mercilus who only plays when $$$$ is on the line. (Sr yr of college/5th yr option season) BRILLIANT

If Strong and Mumphrey are as good as Smith thinks they are.

Porky

Hall of Fame
I'll be the first to admit Mumphrey was completely off my radar and I'm not a scout. But goodness there had to be someone else available with more upside. I just don't see it at all. I would love to be proven wrong but right now - dumb pick.

I would have taken Dupree as well. If you have a stud pass rusher, a stud CB is needed a lot less. But unlike steelb, I can at least see the vision or reasoning behind the Johnson pick given JJo's likely departure. And it's actually the safer choice. Dupree was the bolder choice with more upside and more risk as well (to me at least)

I would have taken Dupree and taken a wait and see attitude before re-upping Whitney. WM showed improvement last year but not enough to warrant the jack he got. And now, we're tied to him for at least 2-3 seasons which is concerning because he got a contract that says stud - but hasn't played like a stud.

I'm really clueless why he had to be re-upped now.

brg88tx

Waterboy
much like several other posters, I have thoroughly researched all the draft picks, and while I don't completely agree with them, I can see some potential in all of them EXCEPT for this Mumphrey pick. I don't see anything there and no one else did either (hence the undraftable grade). Just watched the combine video again and saw 3 dropped passes. bad pick if it were the 6th or 7th round, horrible pick in the 5th.:kubepalm:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'll be the first to admit Mumphrey was completely off my radar and I'm not a scout. But goodness there had to be someone else available with more upside. I just don't see it at all. I would love to be proven wrong but right now - dumb pick.

I would have taken Dupree as well. If you have a stud pass rusher, a stud CB is needed a lot less. But unlike steelb, I can at least see the vision or reasoning behind the Johnson pick given JJo's likely departure. And it's actually the safer choice. Dupree was the bolder choice with more upside and more risk as well (to me at least)

I would have taken Dupree and taken a wait and see attitude before re-upping Whitney. WM showed improvement last year but not enough to warrant the jack he got. And now, we're tied to him for at least 2-3 seasons which is concerning because he got a contract that says stud - but hasn't played like a stud.

I'm really clueless why he had to be re-upped now.
I understand the thinking behind the Johnson pick and think the same logic could be applied to a Dupree pick. Rick thought it was better to draft JoJo's replacement and re-up Mercilus. I disagree with that philosophy, atleast K-Jo's a good player. I also hold out hope that Trail can eventually become a good player when Mercilus fails. Trail is very talented.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I understand the thinking behind the Johnson pick and think the same logic could be applied to a Dupree pick. Rick thought it was better to draft JoJo's replacement and re-up Mercilus. I disagree with that philosophy, atleast K-Jo's a good player. I also hold out hope that Trail can eventually become a good player when Mercilus fails. Trail is very talented.
If Mercilus improves as much as he did last year, then the combo of Johnson/Mckinney/Mercilus/ is much better than the combo of Dupree/McKinney/Trail over the next 3 years. Add in JJO is at the end of his contract then it was a no brainer to me. Many teams weren't that high on Dupree in any case, maybe the Texans were one of them

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I read somewhere where that it was felt that his 40 time didn't match his game play speed............and that brought up questions of his fitness/stamina. This could mean that the Texans felt that their conditioning program could make the difference.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I read somewhere where that it was felt that his 40 time didn't match his game play speed............and that brought up questions of his fitness/stamina. This could mean that the Texans felt that their conditioning program could make the difference.
And his versatility adds a bit to his overall value

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Watching what little bit of film & highlights that are out ther, the guy looks like a player. His combine didn't look great but... He looks like he can play. Like I said earlier, looks like a younger Cecil Shorts.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
This has to be the harshest reception i've seen for a late round pick sonce Alex Brink in the 7th.

They took a flier on a player the scouts see something in. Let him play in preseason at least before automatically calling him a bust!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If Mercilus improves as much as he did last year, then the combo of Johnson/Mckinney/Mercilus/ is much better than the combo of Dupree/McKinney/Trail over the next 3 years. Add in JJO is at the end of his contract then it was a no brainer to me. Many teams weren't that high on Dupree in any case, maybe the Texans were one of them
If you think Mercilus is going to continue to improve. His history says he only plays well in $$$$ yrs.

As far as Dupree goes I can see how Rick would pass on the most athletic OLB in the draft. The Texans have enough athletes at the LB position.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
If you think Mercilus is going to continue to improve. His history says he only plays well in $$$$ yrs.

As far as Dupree goes I can see how Rick would pass on the most athletic OLB in the draft. The Texans have enough athletes at the LB position.
He wasn't the top OLB drafted and I have no problems with the Texans taking KJO if they had him at a higher grade.

Just because you think they should have drafted Dupree doesn't correlate to the Texans thinking so. Don't make it right or wrong.

I think you enjoy wallowing in self misery

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He wasn't the top OLB drafted and I have no problems with the Texans taking KJO if they had him at a higher grade.

Just because you think they should have drafted Dupree doesn't correlate to the Texans thinking so. Don't make it right or wrong.

I think you enjoy wallowing in self misery
No self misery here, just disagreeing with Rick's drafting again. We will see who's right, even though we have almost a decade of info.

I truly hope I'm wrong. I really like how you don't like my replies and that makes me a miserable person. Thanks for the LOL.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Or he showed improvement with a new coaching staff.

But no, you've made up this attack the player BS to slag Mercilus and Smith because you didn't get your new toy.

And 2014 wasn't even a money year. Players want 2nd contracts after their rookie deals which was up in 2015.

bah007

Hall of Fame
Watching what little bit of film & highlights that are out ther, the guy looks like a player. His combine didn't look great but... He looks like he can play. Like I said earlier, looks like a younger Cecil Shorts.
If I'm being honest, I wouldn't have drafted him in the 5th round. At first glance I hated the pick for that reason, because I thought he would have been available later. I voted thumbs down in the poll.

But the more I let it sit the better I feel about it. He is a guy that I liked in the late rounds, and I thought that he was underrated by most websites.

I would have used a 7th on him without hesitation. I would have used a 6th on him if I knew I had to. I also generally agree with most of OB's philosophies as a coach, so if OB thought he was worth a 5th I don't have a hard time going along with it.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
No self misery here, just disagreeing with Rick's drafting again. We will see who's right, even though we have almost a decade of info.

I truly hope I'm wrong. I really like how you don't like my replies and that makes me a miserable person. Thanks for the LOL.
I understand that you don't agree with his decisions and I have no problem with that. But even when you do think a good move is made while you may acknowledge it you have no interest in discussing it. You'd rather harp on your disagreements and how sucky everyone is cuz they don't agree with your assessments. The decisions they made are in the past but rather than discuss why they made them or what may make them turn out, you'd rather sling mud about they didn't do it the right way.

You're certainly entitled to your opinions but the constant rick sucks gets old.
Every thread it's the same. You have good takes sometimes, but you have to throw in that rick sucks, mcnairs cheap into every post

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Or he showed improvement with a new coaching staff.

But no, you've made up this attack the player BS to slag Mercilus and Smith because you didn't get your new toy.

And 2014 wasn't even a money year. Players want 2nd contracts after their rookie deals which was up in 2015.
Funny how Mercilus has his best yr the yr his 5th yr option is about to come due. Hope your right about the coaching being the key to unlocking Mercilus potential.

To be clear I don't care who Rick picks, I just want the Texans to get the best players they can and coach them up to win. If I think they picked the wrong guy am I not supposed to say that and back it up with sound reasoning?

Or after every Texans pick am I supposed to say great pick, as in Brennan/Trevardo Williams, Sam Montgomery great pick?

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Summation on Mumphery:

Opportunity to be a better pro than collegiate player. Great tracking the ball, great hands. Good route runner...

Unbreakable concentration. Enough speed to get over the top. Tightly contested balls will NOT be an issue.

I classified Keith Mumphery as a possession WR that could be a 10 year starter. I had a fringe 5th/6th round grade on him Got w/ 5th comp pick
Spartan Football ‏@MSU_Football Apr 14
Congratulations to Keith Mumphery, who was presented the Gwendolyn Norrell Community Service & Leadership Award.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis Apr 16
Broncos meet with receivers Tre McBride, Keith Mumphery: http://dpo.st/1b0Jn0C via @mikeklis
"He kind of has a running back build for a wide receiver,'' NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said. "He's quicker than he is fast.''

Charles Davis, also providing commentary from Chicago for the NFL Network, said Mumphery's hands were the biggest issue in him going later rather than sooner in the draft.

"He can give you explosive plays, but I thought his hands were uncertain at times, and that's what cost him,'' Davis said. "We saw him at the East-West (Shrine) game and that was the biggest issue I saw.

"I thought many times he got open, didn't always catch the football. But when he does, that running back strength to run through tackles can create bigger plays downfield.''
Combine official 40s slower than KM's:
Brown, Da'Ron
Montgomery, Ty
Crowder, Jamison
Hardy, Justin
Davis, Devante
Lewis, Dezmin
Hall, Rannell
Lippett, Tony
Daniels, DaVaris
Jones, Christion
Harper, Josh
Luckett, Tello
Mayle, Vince
Ruffin, Ezell
Funchess, Devin​

From what I've seen this guy tracks the ball well on those "Kevin Faulk" routes but may become a SlotWR in the Patriots mold -- hands, thick, tough, runs like an RB. If you weren't a Keyshawn Martin fan this might be the guy that bumps him. If you don't like Damaris Johnson's drops, this guy brings those balls in.

Mumphery comes from a tiny town in GA and is not the most polished speaker.

Last edited:

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Funny how Mercilus has his best yr the yr his 5th yr option is about to come due.
The option is non-guaranteed. The 3rd year of a 4 year contract is not a contract year. The 4th is the contract year which if they feel like the team can extend out to the 5th year. A new contract is what these guys want.

To be clear I don't care who Rick picks, ...
The hell you don't.

And everything you say is tinged. If you don't like a pick, it's a Smith pick. If you do, OB or RAC got their guy. Face a little reality here, Mercilus didn't get a new contract and KJo and McKinney weren't drafted without OB and RAC backing the moves.

The only instance we know Smith and a HC have disagreed was Kubiak still wanting Schaub as starter but disagreeing with Smith extending him when he did.

Or after every Texans pick am I supposed to say great pick, as in Brennan/Trevardo Williams, Sam Montgomery great pick?
Of course not but you might put some blame on the DC as well. We know Smith/Wade actually liked Peterson better than Watt. The likely thing here is Smith/RAC like Mercilus, KJo and McKinney.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Funny how Mercilus has his best yr the yr his 5th yr option is about to come due. Hope your right about the coaching being the key to unlocking Mercilus potential.
It's his third year.

& don't we want our player's best year to have been last year? Then even better next year?

I think Jj Watt's best year was his third year, I'm sure it was up until that point it was. The bum.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
I still don't know who selected those players. Too far from our standing drafting pattern to be Rick, imo. Odd selections.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I understand that you don't agree with his decisions and I have no problem with that. But even when you do think a good move is made while you may acknowledge it you have no interest in discussing it. You'd rather harp on your disagreements and how sucky everyone is cuz they don't agree with your assessments. The decisions they made are in the past but rather than discuss why they made them or what may make them turn out, you'd rather sling mud about they didn't do it the right way.

You're certainly entitled to your opinions but the constant rick sucks gets old.
Every thread it's the same. You have good takes sometimes, but you have to throw in that rick sucks, mcnairs cheap into every post
I have said many times and discussed how I think BOB/Gaine were great hires. Check out the Gaine thread,

You just dont like when IMO I point out the mistakes that the McNair's/Rick have made throughout the yrs and the fact that the McNair's have made a ton of $$$$$ off of this town without doing everything possible to put the best talent on the field as possible. How long will the Texans have to wallow in mediocrity for you to admit the way the McNair's run this team will not lead to a SB anytime soon, unless Rick/BOB happens to luck into a Tom Brady.

With that said, I've gotten off of the McNair's cheap bandwagon because all of the regulars know my stance on that subject. I did find the AJ thread very entertaining after AJ was cut and how people were coming around to my way of thinking. You got kind of nasty with me in that thread and you were wrong in that I hated to see AJ go as much as the next fan. Even though with the $$$$ AJ was making the move was understandable.

Try to separate your feelings about what I feel about how the Texans org is being run from the validity of what's in my posts. Sure we will have disagreements such as KJo over Dupree and I see where your coming from. I hope you can see the reasons I liked Dupree more. After all this type of disagreement is good for the MB. IMHO

Peace out

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I still don't know who selected those players. Too far from our standing drafting pattern to be Rick, imo. Odd selections.
Very odd, I think those were Wade's picks. If you give Wade credit for the Watt pick, you've got to knock him for picks like these.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
I have to admit, I'm intrigued with Mumphery. He doesn't have standout measurables or blazing speed, so it's possible he brings something special that can only be seen on game day. That may be a gamble worth taking. Foster is that way. He didn't have blazing speed or impressive measurables, but the only way to appraise his value is to watch him play. And if we had drafted Foster in the first round, he would've been worth it, and some of our draftnicks would've been howling over his speed or his rating in their favorite draft guide.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I have to admit, I'm intrigued with Mumphery. He doesn't have standout measurables or blazing speed, so it's possible he brings something special that can only be seen on game day. That may be a gamble worth taking. Foster is that way. He didn't have blazing speed or impressive measurables, but the only way to appraise his value is to watch him play. And if we had drafted Foster in the first round, he would've been worth it, and some of our draftnicks would've been howling.
Except Foster had 2nd round grade going into his last season before hurt.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club

Don't forget his reoccurring fantasy of Rick giving Cal a rimjob.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
SOTT: TEXANS KEITH MUMPHERY MAKING A NAME FOR HIMSELF

The Houston Texans took Keith Mumphery in the fifth round of the 2015 NFL Draft. Despite the early naysayers, Mumphery is putting his name into the wide receive discussion early for the Texans.

The biggest head scratching draft pick of the 2015 NFL Draft class seems to be the one making the most noise early through the start of the Houston Texans offseason. Keith Mumphery has done everything that the coaches have asked since he arrived to Houston and is showing that he is more than capable of fitting into the offense.

Mumphery was a selection that many did not know about, a draft prospect who was talked to by only two teams during the entire process. The Denver Broncos, which he ended up taking a visit to their facility, and the Texans, are the only team that worked him out. Running back coach Charles London worked him out at Michigan State and saw everything he needed to in the under-the-radar Mumphery.

Mumphery went into the NFL draft not knowing what was in store but had an idea if anything were to happen it would be on day three of the draft. The phone rang in the latter parts of the 5th round and he knew where the “713” area code on his phone was coming from, the one team that paid the most attention him during the process, the Texans.

Many draft analysts did not have much to say about Mumphery coming out of college.

- Mumphery is a hardworking leader and the kind of guy every college coach wants on his team, but his lack of athleticism and overall speed will make him a long shot to find a home on an NFL roster. - Lance Zierlein, NFL.com

- He's a likely priority free-agent pickup for a team following the 2015 NFL Draft. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

- Not a flashy pick and a potentially limited receiver. Mumphrey lacks the speed to burn and is more of a possession-based wideout. He'll struggle to take the field barring injury to starters. - The Sports Xchange

- At his size, that’s just not a sustainable model for NFL success. Lack of athleticism makes you question his value as a special teams player, so what does he really do to make your roster better on the field? - Si.com
Why did the Texans draft him? Head Coach Bill O’Brien talked about what the staff saw in him at Michigan State and how the Texans will use him early in the offense.

“We’re going to start him out as a wide receiver, probably on the outside, maybe see on Sunday what we can do on the inside,” said O’Brien on Mumphery. “But we do know that what he showed us on tape and kind of his background at Michigan State that he was able to do other things. I don’t think you’ll see him at running back this weekend, but we know he does have that skill set in his background, so maybe in the future we’ll see.”

O’Brien is looking for Mumphery to contribute at both spots at wide receiver, inside and outside, and also on special teams, possibly as a returner. Also, it shows that the Texans know that Mumphery also contributed at times as a running back in college and are not closing the door on that possibility in the future.

Why did the Texans take him? We took a closer look at Mumphery coming out and broke down his combine numbers. Take a look….

Code:
                             ARM   HAND  10YD 20YD  40  VERT BROAD 3CONE SS   60S BENCH
Keith Mumphery 6-0 215 lbs. 31 1/8 9 1/8 1.62 2.69 4.45 32.5 121.0 7.07  4.25 N/A   15
Player X      5-10 210 lbs. 30 5/8 9     1.62 2.66 4.5  34   115   6.95  4.28 11.58 31
Who is player X? Former New England Patriots and now New York Giants running back Shane Vereen. The Texans have specific parameters they follow when it comes to draft picks and it is no surprise that Mumphery’s times and measurements are spot on with Vereen, with the exception of the bench press.

Mumphery will end up being his own player when all is said and done, but the rookie wide receiver has hit the ground running and is not looking back. His early work at rookie mini-camp and OTAs is turing heads and is showing that he can compete with the veterans from day one. With strong hands, precise routes, and some sneaky speed, Mumphery is solidifying his spot on the roster.

The biggest question mark of the draft is looking like one of the most intriguing selections early on for the Texans.

Last edited:

beerlover

Hall of Fame

The Houston Texans took Keith Mumphery in the fifth round of the 2015 NFL Draft. Despite the early naysayers, Mumphery is putting his name into the wide receive discussion early for the Texans.

The biggest head scratching draft pick of the 2015 NFL Draft class seems to be the one making the most noise early through the start of the Houston Texans offseason. Keith Mumphery has done everything that the coaches have asked since he arrived to Houston and is showing that he is more than capable of fitting into the offense.

Mumphery was a selection that many did not know about, a draft prospect who was talked to by only two teams during the entire process. The Denver Broncos, which he ended up taking a visit to their facility, and the Texans, are the only team that worked him out. Running back coach Charles London worked him out at Michigan State and saw everything he needed to in the under-the-radar Mumphery.

Mumphery went into the NFL draft not knowing what was in store but had an idea if anything were to happen it would be on day three of the draft. The phone rang in the latter parts of the 5th round and he knew where the “713” area code on his phone was coming from, the one team that paid the most attention him during the process, the Texans.

Many draft analysts did not have much to say about Mumphery coming out of college.

- Mumphery is a hardworking leader and the kind of guy every college coach wants on his team, but his lack of athleticism and overall speed will make him a long shot to find a home on an NFL roster. - Lance Zierlein, NFL.com

- He's a likely priority free-agent pickup for a team following the 2015 NFL Draft. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

- Not a flashy pick and a potentially limited receiver. Mumphrey lacks the speed to burn and is more of a possession-based wideout. He'll struggle to take the field barring injury to starters. - The Sports Xchange

- At his size, that’s just not a sustainable model for NFL success. Lack of athleticism makes you question his value as a special teams player, so what does he really do to make your roster better on the field? - Si.com
Why did the Texans draft him? Head Coach Bill O’Brien talked about what the staff saw in him at Michigan State and how the Texans will use him early in the offense.

“We’re going to start him out as a wide receiver, probably on the outside, maybe see on Sunday what we can do on the inside,” said O’Brien on Mumphery. “But we do know that what he showed us on tape and kind of his background at Michigan State that he was able to do other things. I don’t think you’ll see him at running back this weekend, but we know he does have that skill set in his background, so maybe in the future we’ll see.”

O’Brien is looking for Mumphery to contribute at both spots at wide receiver, inside and outside, and also on special teams, possibly as a returner. Also, it shows that the Texans know that Mumphery also contributed at times as a running back in college and are not closing the door on that possibility in the future.

Why did the Texans take him? We took a closer look at Mumphery coming out and broke down his combine numbers. Take a look….

Code:
                             ARM   HAND  10YD 20YD  40  VERT BROAD 3CONE SS   60S BENCH
Keith Mumphery 6-0 215 lbs. 31 1/8 9 1/8 1.62 2.69 4.45 32.5 121.0 7.07  4.25 N/A   15
Player X      5-10 210 lbs. 30 5/8 9     1.62 2.66 4.5  34   115   6.95  4.28 11.58 31
Who is player X? Former New England Patriots and now New York Giants running back Shane Vereen. The Texans have specific parameters they follow when it comes to draft picks and it is no surprise that Mumphery’s times and measurements are spot on with Vereen, with the exception of the bench press.

Mumphery will end up being his own player when all is said and done, but the rookie wide receiver has hit the ground running and is not looking back. His early work at rookie mini-camp and OTAs is turing heads and is showing that he can compete with the veterans from day one. With strong hands, precise routes, and some sneaky speed, Mumphery is solidifying his spot on the roster.

The biggest question mark of the draft is looking like one of the most intriguing selections early on for the Texans.
Its always been & will always be the first round pick.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps

Exactly. Early (and admittedly premature) indications are that he can be a more affective Vereen.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Exactly. Early (and admittedly premature) indications are that he can be a more affective Vereen.
...Okay, okay...
you DID say premature...
O'Brien thinks Mumphrey has the traits to be a good RB/WR... someone the defense will have matchup issues with.
Let's see if (a) he makes the final 53 and (b) O'Brien will actually put him to good use.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
...Okay, okay...
you DID say premature...
O'Brien thinks Mumphrey has the traits to be a good RB/WR... someone the defense will have matchup issues with.
Let's see if (a) he makes the final 53 and (b) O'Brien will actually put him to good use.
Agreed, but it's hard not to be excited about this prospect, given what I think they have planned for him.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Who, exactly, is PD Starr & how much are the coaches telling him about their expectations & the rookies in relation to those expectations?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Hope they're right about Mumphrey, Best I can see him is as a slot guy who can play as a 3rd down RB and KR/PR. Hopefully he will be a great gunner on ST's. This is where he has the most impact on the team. IMHO

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Who, exactly, is PD Starr & how much are the coaches telling him about their expectations & the rookies in relation to those expectations?
He's sort of an amateur reporter. He does get a player interview here and there. I follow him on Twitter because he tweets updates from practices, interviews and PCs as fast as anyone there. During the season he'll also tweet All-22 videos after the previous game. That said, he makes dalemurphy look like an amateur on the Texans bias scale. Hence, the reason I don't read his pieces from the site above.

I like Jason Braddocks stuff. He seems to lean Texans but is much more even keeled when it comes to tweets and write ups

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
He's sort of an amateur reporter...
Pat owns "State of the Texans" hosted on Scout.com, is fully media credentialed with Texans/NFL who I've never seen miss an assignment. Co-hosts SOTT podcast with Adam Wexler, understands football at a much deeper level than anyone at chron.com and the like. His post game play analysis, especially his series on how other teams game-planned Watt last year, is worth your time if you want to learn about football strategy.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Pat owns "State of the Texans" hosted on Scout.com, is fully media credentialed with Texans/NFL who I've never seen miss an assignment. Co-hosts SOTT podcast with Adam Wexler, understands football at a much deeper level than anyone at chron.com and the like. His post game play analysis, especially his series on how other teams game-planned Watt last year, is worth your time if you want to learn about football strategy.
I did mention his post game All-22 tweets that I do enjoy. I just think he's too 'rah rah' to give a true analysis. There's nothing wrong with that. I still like a lot of his stuff. I just take it with a grain of salt, that's all

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
I did mention his post game All-22 tweets that I do enjoy. I just think he's too 'rah rah' to give a true analysis. There's nothing wrong with that. I still like a lot of his stuff. I just take it with a grain of salt, that's all
Yeah, he is a fan. Texans, Rockets, Astros... tweets like crazy. His baseball tweets are pulling me back into the Astros, which is pissing me off.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Yeah, he is a fan. Texans, Rockets, Astros... tweets like crazy. His baseball tweets are pulling me back into the Astros, which is pissing me off.
Not to get too off-topic, but they're fun to watch. The defense and pitching has been great to go along with timely knocks. Their team BA still has me wary

Beyond what Playoffs said about Pat Starr, I talk with him quite a bit for my needed information as well. I will say he is much more tied into the organization than he shows publicly, or as many think. He works his butt off to provide accurate & timely information.

Marshall

Not pretty, but ALIVE!
Not to get too off-topic, but they're fun to watch. The defense and pitching has been great to go along with timely knocks. Their team BA still has me wary
And I wouldn't know because Comcast Sports Network is tied up in bankruptcy.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
McClain on All Access... "[Texans] said [Mumphery] is a lot faster on the field than the 4.54 he ran at the Combine, comes from a pro-style offense, good hands, runs good routes."

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Not to mention SO's, which tie in with team BA. Gotta love the homeruns they're hitting, though.