Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Secret Superstar: Kareem Jackson

If im not mistaken, Dre is NOT leaps and bounds away from the Top 10 in those categories, minus TDs I think that will change perspective. He also will not be in the same situation as Cris Carter, who has the stats, but a hardcore drug problem early in his career I believe has kept the door shut for him.

Correct and there are three players who are still active in front of him and all are older - Steve Smith, Tony Gonzalez and Reggie Wayne. So really two WR's.

If im not mistaken, Dre is NOT leaps and bounds away from the Top 10 in those categories, minus TDs I think that will change perspective. He also will not be in the same situation as Cris Carter, who has the stats, but a hardcore drug problem early in his career I believe has kept the door shut for him.

Correct and there are three players who are still active in front of him and all are older - Steve Smith, Tony Gonzalez and Reggie Wayne. So really two WR's.

Again, I ain't saying A.J. won't make it into the Hall, I'm just saying as things stand right now, it'll be tough sledding for him to get there.
Now the fact that he's a class act and a blue collar-type WR as opposed to a diva is definitely in his favor and should win him some votes. But a couple of stud post-season appearances resulting with him holding the Lombardi suuure would help cement his case though.

I've made comments about Kareem Jackson sucking in the past. I admit this, I was wrong about him (and have admitted to this in previous/similar threads). Did he give up some plays last season? Sure he did but what corner doesn't. That said, I feel a whole lot better about him now then I did his first season or two. A lot may be said about the coaching he had, or more accurately didn't have.

I think he HAS become a damn fine corner in this league.

fify

Kareem Jackson = improving

Kareem Jackson=Superstar=LOL

I don't know about superstar, because he doesn't make the flashy plays.

But last year Kareem was a damn good player. If he can consistently cover down field, there really aren't a lot of weaknesses to his game.

You mean you evaluated a player before he was acclimated to the NFL?

Did you give him a grade?
images

I will admit I've done my fair share of hating on Can't-Turn-His-Head Jackson and I will admit the guy has turned it around a ton. To go from incompetent to highly competent speaks volume of his guts and determination, but also is really damning of how bad the coaching was... unless he just happens to be the type of player that needed 2 years for it to "click" and everything to come together. Mad props for the coaching staff and FO to stick with him though.

I will admit I've done my fair share of hating on Can't-Turn-His-Head Jackson

This speaks to me to how bad the officiating has gotten in the NFL. If there is contact & the defender prematurely interferes with the receivers ability to catch the ball, it's a penalty.

If there is no contact before the ball gets to the receiver, it's not a penalty & shouldn't be called.

Too many times, I'm seeing the ref throw the flag when there is no contact, or when the contact is well timed.

Kareem Jackson = improving

Kareem Jackson=Superstar=LOL

I would have to agree. KJ is improving, but is not a superstar. He finally showed improvement last season, but when it's all said & done he has had more bad seasons then good ones thus far in his NFL career. I have been highly critical of KJ in the past & still believe he showed some of the flaws in his game last season that have plagued him from day one, such as not getting his head around & biting on double moves to get burned, but he has definetly improved. I think I'm going to at least wait to see if KJ can produce at least 2 seasons of quality play before anointing him a "superstar". Hopefully KJ continues to get better, but that remains to be seen because one season of quality play doesn't quite solidify a player as being a good player much less a superstar IMO.

There is a reason JJo is still on the team as the #1 CB & considered one of the best in the NFL & it comes back to quality play over multiple years...not just one season like KJ has produced.

I would have to agree. KJ is improving, but is not a superstar. He finally showed improvement last season, but when it's all said & done he has had more bad seasons then good ones thus far in his NFL career. I have been highly critical of KJ in the past & still believe he showed some of the flaws in his game last season that have plagued him from day one, such as not getting his head around & biting on double moves to get burned, but he has definetly improved. I think I'm going to at least wait to see if KJ can produce at least 2 seasons of quality play before anointing him a "superstar". Hopefully KJ continues to get better, but that remains to be seen because one season of quality play doesn't quite solidify a player as being a good player much less a superstar IMO.

There is a reason JJo is still on the team as the #1 CB & considered one of the best in the NFL & it comes back to quality play over multiple years...not just one season like KJ has produced.

JJo is going into his eighth year. KJ is starting his fourth. JJo was not the player he is now in his first few years either. As has been hammered time and again CB is the most difficult position to transition into from a collegiate career other than QB. I think it's safe to say by seeing how far he's come that one could pretty safely extrapolate a solid career for KJ. I wouldn't think it's out of the realm of probability that he becomes as good of a player as JJo this season or next.

JJo is going into his eighth year. KJ is starting his fourth. JJo was not the player he is now in his first few years either. As has been hammered time and again CB is the most difficult position to transition into from a collegiate career other than QB. I think it's safe to say by seeing how far he's come that one could pretty safely extrapolate a solid career for KJ. I wouldn't think it's out of the realm of probability that he becomes as good of a player as JJo this season or next.

Barring injury.

But, this "superstar" talk is just as goofy as the "elite" QB talk. It's just some adjective a writer used to get his point across & some people are just getting a little carried away with it. We know who KJ is.

What I'd like to know, is what CB has played better than KJ from day one to now, since the 2009 draft. If the position is as tough to learn, as has been said, it should be a pretty short list.

I know McCourty had a heck of a rookie year, but since then, I don't know what to say. I know if we bounced Kareem, or Brandon Harris, or Quin between safety & CB, we would say that he wasn't that good of a corner. Does that hold true for McCourty? I'm sure he'd like to be thought of (& paid) as a CB, but I don't think he will be.

I know Kj was drafted in the 2010 draft, I just wanted to expand the field.

That statement is not entirely accurate. I'm sure JJo did take some lumps his rookie season, but he only started 9 games & ended up still defending 20 passes. KJ didn't even defend 20 passes in first 2 seasons combined(16 to be exact). JJo started in 2007 & played well by most accounts. Then started in 2008 & was having a good season before it was cut short by injury. He then returned in 2009 & once again had a good season & earned All Joe team honors which is given to players whom have played well but aren't given the credit some feel is deserved.

I'm not saying CB is not a difficult position to transition to, but your comparison of JJo & KJ is a bit off base & far from accurate. JJo showed the potential from day 1 & KJ obviously did not. Which is exactly why I said let's get another solid year out of KJ before prematurely claiming he is a "superstar" after producing just 1 solid season of play in his young 3yr career. KJ has shown improvement, without a doubt, but in the end it still only equates to 1 solid season & there have been multiple players who have come & gone w/ 1 solid season of play under their belts & didn't turn into superstars. Time will tell & I hope he continues to improve, but JJo is our #1 cb for good reason.

It's very true that we can't compare Joseph and Jackson in their respective rookie year; the same way we can't compare McCourty with Jackson.

It's better to compare Joseph and McCourty.
They played in more similar defenses.
The Pats played mostly a cover-two defense while the Bengals mixed it up with the Tampa two.

In these schemes, the CB play mostly zone, and can afford to be more aggressive.
When they are in man, they still have two safeties to back them up (cover two, man-under.)
Don't forget that both of those defenses ranked near the bottom in yardage allowed.
It's hard to imagine rookie CBs playing so well despite the fact that the passing D was "terrible".

Jackson was thrown into the fire, playing more on an island.

McCourty had a good rookie season and has since gone on to be ddreadful. Kyle Wilson has been a nickel behind Revis and Cromartie, I do not believe he has been anything special and since the Jets drafted Miliner I'm not sure he's getting the starting gig now that Revis is gone.

since the Jets drafted Miliner I'm not sure he's getting the starting gig now that Revis is gone.

That will be interesting to see. Rex's D is usually pretty aggressive..... I'd be surprised if he starts a rookie at CB

Back