Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

schaub lost it for us....

2003 8-5 / 4-4

My point is that he's not a "game winner", he's not someone who you send on the field and say "go win the game for us" and he drives his team down the field and wins the game. If he's "that type" of QB, we never run the ball, we spread the field and the coach gives him the ball..

He's missing the intangibles IMHO. Call me crazy all you want..

He's driven us down the field several times just this season. What are you talking about?

If that's true, that's not an indictment on Schaub, it's on the lame playcalling.

Exaclty!!

He has marched this team down the field on two seperate occasions to put the team in a position to score. It is not his fault if our delusional OC thinks we can play smashmouth football.

BTW, think Green Bay last season.

VMy point is that he's not a "game winner", he's not someone who you send on the field and say "go win the game for us" and he drives his team down the field and wins the game. If he's "that type" of QB, we never run the ball, we spread the field and the coach gives him the ball..

Thank you as the president of the Vince Young for God lovers club. Everything you just said is exactly what was used to justify drafting VY who now sits on the bench behind Kerry Collins and I bet 80+% of TN fans would rather have Schaub start for their team than either of those two.

PS - on the intangibles thing like leadership, try looking at the sidelines and listening to the players. He may look like Droopy Dog but he clearly has their attention.

Exaclty!!

He has marched this team down the field on two seperate occasions to put the team in a position to score. It is not his fault if our delusional OC thinks we can play smashmouth football.

BTW, think Green Bay last season.

I swear every time I see Alex Gibbs talking to Kubiak on the sideline....

I'm thinking that he's telling him "we've got to get to get the run game going! Put in Chris Brown! DAMN THE TORPEDOES!" :pirate:

Carr looked pretty good this weekend with the Giants, maybe the issue was more likely our swiss cheese offensive line that allowed league leading sacks for what 3 or 4 years?

As for Schaub, yes I believe we need to draft a real QB.

Oh me oh me oh my. Wowzers, I thought this bunk had been put to rest two years ago. Do you not remember David Carr's last year in Houston, his fourth as a starting QB in the NFL? The 2006 Texans were the 28th-ranked offense and Carr was sacked 41 times behind a line comprised of Salaam, Pitts, Flanagan, Weary, and Wiegert. When they dumped his ass and went with Schaub instead, that offense jumped to 12th-best in the NFL with only 22 sacks surrendered....with Salaam, Pitts, Flanagan, Weary, and Winston.

David Carr was responsible for David Carr's horrible performance, not the Texans front five. Those guys were unfairly maligned for years while David Carr got a free pass from the local and national media. Chester Pitts deserves better than this.

We should've never called that play on 3rd down. Keep the pass in the middle of the field and protect your QB. You know we've got a guy with a gun slinger mentality, that's why we came back from a 21 point deficit. You've gotta protect him in those situations that you know he's going to gamble with the ball by calling routes over the middle to best prevent a pick 6 if he makes a poor decision.

Schaub didn't have the arm to make that throw but he's got a gunslinger mentality. The coaches should know on a crucial 3rd down going for the game winning drive Schaub is gonna give our guys a chance to make a play instead of throwing it away and the coaches need to recognize he doesn't have the arm to make that throw without risking a pick 6.

Schaub is the QB we need with the team we've got. We have a whole lot of weapons at the skill positions and Schaub knows how to distribute the ball and make use of them. We dont have a reliable defense or running game so we need a QB who will take chances if/when we get in a hole. Schaub is the guy who got us within a yard in 2 of 3 losses and he's also the guy who threw the pick 6. You take the good with the bad but this team needs a gunslinger with our defense and running game to even have a shot at the playoffs.

And yet you defend David Carr? If you'd asked Dunta Robinson, Andre Johnson, or Eric Moulds to grade David Carr's leadership skills or intangibles back in the spring of 2007, they all would've told you that David Carr just doesn't pass the test.

This thread is going downhill toward Patheticland. When HWSNBN is actually mentioned by name in some sort of lame attempt at comparison, I find nothing worthy about it.

The passing game - you know, the one that represents the QB - is the least of my worries with the Texans. It's just about everything else that needs some major upgrades. No consistent running game, no pass rush, weak secondary, yada yada yada. But yeah, let's blame the QB. :loser

This thread is going downhill toward Patheticland. When HWSNBN is actually mentioned by name in some sort of lame attempt at comparison, I find nothing worthy about it.

The passing game - you know, the one that represents the QB - is the least of my worries with the Texans. It's just about everything else that needs some major upgrades. No consistent running game, no pass rush, weak secondary, yada yada yada. But yeah, let's blame the QB. :loser

I never brought up the HWSNBN comparision, someone made the assumption it was more of Sage I was comparing him to. Of course the passing game can come into question, the whole first half it was non existant cause Schaub was missing WIDE open receivers...

I never brought up the HWSNBN comparision, someone made the assumption it was more of Sage I was comparing him to.

Uh, yeah you did.

"Carr looked pretty good this weekend with the Giants, maybe the issue was more likely our swiss cheese offensive line that allowed league leading sacks for what 3 or 4 years?

As for Schaub, yes I believe we need to draft a real QB."

Uh, yeah you did.

"Carr looked pretty good this weekend with the Giants, maybe the issue was more likely our swiss cheese offensive line that allowed league leading sacks for what 3 or 4 years?

As for Schaub, yes I believe we need to draft a real QB."

I mentioned the fact that Carr looked pretty good, and that most of his issues were related to the swiss cheese line we had the first few years here in which he got destroyed for what his first 3 years? After that he was so gunshot he sucked.

I never stated the fact: David Carr > Matt Schaub

Matt Schaub has a MUCH better supporting cast and our backup QB the last few years played better than him sometimes, and worse than him sometimes. How many of you were asking for Sage to start when he railed off 4 victories in a row?

Virginia's record while he was "throwing" for more great stats:

2001 5-7 / 3-5
2002 9-5 / 6-2
2003 8-5 / 4-4

My point is that he's not a "game winner", he's not someone who you send on the field and say "go win the game for us" and he drives his team down the field and wins the game. If he's "that type" of QB, we never run the ball, we spread the field and the coach gives him the ball..

Was going to sit this thread out, but I just can't do it.

I'm pretty sure you have no clue what you are talking about with respect to Virginia during Schaub's time there. Take Schaub off those 2002 and 2003 UVA teams (he was a pedestrian player as a part-time starter in 2001), and they probably don't win 5 games. He had a terrible defense, no running game and absolutely no threats at WR. Plus an offensive line that was small, young and simply not very good--D'Brickashaw Ferguson was a 240 LT on the 2002 and 2003 teams who didn't fill out and become a reliable blocker until the year after Schaub left. He hardly ever had time to throw, took a pounding and had to rely on FBs, TEs and RBs to catch his passes, but he led the Hoos to a couple of really fun seasons. I watched every Virginia game during those years, and the guy was brilliant. For twenty years, UVA had a run of outstanding QBs who played in the NFL or got serious looks (Don Majkowski, Scott Secules, Shawn Moore, Matt Blundin, Mike Groh, Aaron Brooks, Schaub and Marquis Hagans); Schaub was easily #2 on that list. There's no dispute as to #1 among Hoo fans, but it might surprise you.

As for not leading the Texans to victory in crunch time, did you miss the Miami game in 2007? The Jags game in 2008 (when he drove us to the tying FG with less than 2:00 left but we lost the OT cointoss and the game)? The Miami game in 2008? The Green Bay game in 2008? Those were all games where we were either down or tied, got the ball back with 2:00 left and he led us on a long scoring drive to either tie or win the game. Had Brown not fumbled against the Jags or we got that miserable stinking yard against the Cards, he'd be six-for-six in his Texans career in leading us in late tying/winning drives.

Here's a stat for you: twelve times, the Texans--with Schaub at QB--have been involved in a game where, at some point in the fourth quarter, the losing team had the ball and was within one score of the lead. In other words, 12 games where the outcome was in serious doubt. The Texans' record in those 12 games: 8-4. Two of those losses (the last two) were when we couldn't punch it in from the 1. A third was because we lost the OT coinflip after Schaub led us to scores on our last five possessions in the game (Jax 2008). The other was Cleveland in 2007 when we couldn't overcome a 17-10 deficit. So, of the four close games he lost, we were a coin flip and two stinking yards from either the win or a shot at OT in three of them.

There are legitimate criticisms to be had of our quarterback, but thinking he wasn't effective in college or that he hasn't come up with big games in crunch time for us is just laughable. Sorry for the rant, but the quoted post was just too much to ignore. And, yes, as a UVA alum, I'm completely biased--I've admitted that from my very first post on this board.

Was going to sit this thread out, but I just can't do it.

I'm pretty sure you have no clue what you are talking about with respect to Virginia during Schaub's time there. Take Schaub off those 2002 and 2003 UVA teams (he was a pedestrian player as a part-time starter in 2001), and they probably don't win 5 games. He had a terrible defense, no running game and absolutely no threats at WR. Plus an offensive line that was small, young and simply not very good--D'Brickashaw Ferguson was a 240 LT on the 2002 and 2003 teams who didn't fill out and become a reliable blocker until the year after Schaub left. He hardly ever had time to throw, took a pounding and had to rely on FBs, TEs and RBs to catch his passes, but he led the Hoos to a couple of really fun seasons. I watched every Virginia game during those years, and the guy was brilliant. For twenty years, UVA had a run of outstanding QBs who played in the NFL or got serious looks (Don Majkowski, Scott Secules, Shawn Moore, Matt Blundin, Mike Groh, Aaron Brooks, Schaub and Marquis Hagans); Schaub was easily #2 on that list. There's no dispute as to #1 among Hoo fans, but it might surprise you.

I watched quite a bit of Virginia play in the years as I was in the area WV for a lot of years during those times. I would suspect that Moore is your favorite QB, in his college days the Moore to Moore connection rambled a lot of big plays. While I'm not to the level of you with the Virginia football knowledge, it was a way for me to try to get my point that it seems Schaub can't seem to find a way to win.

There are legitimate criticisms to be had of our quarterback, but thinking he wasn't effective in college or that he hasn't come up with big games in crunch time for us is just laughable. Sorry for the rant, but the quoted post was just too much to ignore. And, yes, as a UVA alum, I'm completely biased--I've admitted that from my very first post on this board.

Whether it's his will, his droopy dog look, his late throws/reads it's hard to quite put my finger on it, but I don't he's going to win us a superbowl or lead us into the playoffs.

Whether it's his will, his droopy dog look, his late throws/reads it's hard to quite put my finger on it, but I don't he's going to win us a superbowl or lead us into the playoffs.

Might as well quit while you're not too far behind. Your foot goes any further into your mouth you'll start digesting it, and that's never good.

LMAO!

Schuab isn't the problem here... I swear, the stuff some of y'all come up with.

The guy HAS NO RUNNING GAME TO SPEAK OF! and he's played with one of the NFL's worst defenses since his time as a Houston Texan.

Is the guy Peyton Manning........NO, he's not, but who the hell is... Is he a QB that if you have a solid team built around him you can win.....Yes you can win games with a Matt Schaub as your QB. He's proven time and time again that he can bring a team back late in games and win games late. Should he of made that throw into the endzone....hell yes he should've, but I doubt he misses a throw like that for the rest of the year and like I said above.....we woudn't be talking about that right now if this team could pick up a freaking yard.

I guarantee you, the second the Texans cut Schuab there will be a number of teams lining up for his services. He isn't going anywhere folks and the Texans could do much, much, MUCH worse at that position. I think Matt Schuab is the NFL's highest rated passer from the middle of last season until now. God forbid if we ever start running the ball and this team actaully starts to hold team UNDER 20 something points......THAT'S THE PROBLEM. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
LMAO!

The guy HAS NO RUNNING GAME TO SPEAK OF! and he's played with one of the NFL's worst defenses since his time as a Houston Texan.

Is the guy Peyton Manning........NO, he's not, but who the hell is... Is he a QB that if you have a solid team built around him you can win.....Yes you can win games with a Matt Schaub as your QB. He's proven time and time again that he can bring a team back late in games and win games late. Should he of made that throw into the endzone....hell yes he should've, but I doubt he misses a throw like that for the rest of the year and like I said above.....we woudn't be talking about that right now if this team could pick up a freaking yard.

I guarantee you, the second the Texans cut Schuab there will be a number of teams lining up for his services. He isn't going anywhere folks and the Texans could do much, much, MUCH worse at that position. I think Matt Schuab is the NFL's highest rated passer from the middle of last season until now.

AMEN!!! Schaub is an Elite QB and is not the problem... I bet a Schaub sneak would have got that yard! "He runs in, Touch Down Texans! Matt Schaub with a Quaterback Draw!" sound familiar?:thinking:

I watched quite a bit of Virginia play in the years as I was in the area WV for a lot of years during those times. I would suspect that Moore is your favorite QB, in his college days the Moore to Moore connection rambled a lot of big plays. While I'm not to the level of you with the Virginia football knowledge, it was a way for me to try to get my point that it seems Schaub can't seem to find a way to win.

As an initial matter, kudos on getting Shawn Moore (and Moore-to-Moore!). I was wrong to disparage your knowledge on the subject.

But I still strongly disagree about your assessment of Schaub not seeming to find a way to win. Throw out the two losses at the goalline, and Schaub's winning percentage in tight games with the Texans is a tidy .800. Add those two games back in, and it's .667. If that's not evidence of him finding a way to win, what is?

LMAO!

:rolleyes:

Spot on! To wit: Last season we ranked 13th in rushing. Not stellar but effective. In 5 games this season, we rank 30th. That's one helluva drop off.

This thread reminds me of the good ol days when you would find consistantly incoherent posts centering around the QB position here, except instead of apologist posts we have the classic reverse Carr bizarro world style (similar to Szechuan tiger style, 'cept different).

AMEN!!! Schaub is an Elite QB and is not the problem... I bet a Schaub sneak would have got that yard! "He runs in, Touch Down Texans! Matt Schaub with a Quaterback Draw!" sound familiar?:thinking:

3.jpg

Carr would have gotten it in :turtle:

:tease:

spot on Vinny!

This thread reminds me of the good ol days when you would find consistantly incoherent posts centering around the QB position here, except instead of apologist posts we have the classic reverse Carr bizarro world style (similar to Szechuan tiger style, 'cept different).

I swear it is the weirdest friggin' phenomenon. Take a fan base with a suck QB defending him and give them an almost elite QB and they attack him.

Really is there anyone willing to post up and say Schaub is not a vast improvement over HWWNBN?

Is there anyone willing to post up that Schaub is not a starting quality NFL QB?

I didn't read all the threads but at least part of the blame for this certain interception can be blamed on the play calling. The kid Cromartie-whatever that picked it was laying in wait and expecting that play. I think it was the 3rd time it was run when he picked it. After the 2nd time they ran it he was by the Texans side line and in a general direction to the coaching staff he yelled "next time you run that s*%$ I'm gonna pick it",,,,they ran it again and he was obviously expecting it,,,and sorry i don't have a link to this but you guys know how I get most of my info:)

I didn't read all the threads but at least part of the blame for this certain interception can be blamed on the play calling. The kid Cromartie-whatever that picked it was laying in wait and expecting that play. I think it was the 3rd time it was run when he picked it. After the 2nd time they ran it he was by the Texans side line and in a general direction to the coaching staff he yelled "next time you run that s*%$ I'm gonna pick it",,,,they ran it again and he was obviously expecting it,,,and sorry i don't have a link to this but you guys know how I get most of my info:)

Well ... in the words of Yogi Berra ... it ain't braggin if you back it up .

Back