Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Schaub - Am I The Only One ?

zcity

Practice Squad
Schaub for the second game in a row - cannot throw a deep ball - Has no Zip on his passes . . .

This guy is injured - WTH - Shoulder, Ribs - What is the deal.

Every deep ball that was caught was a comeback, underthrow luck job - Any one know what's up ????????

Second Honeymoon

Hall of Fame
he hasn't played great but he hasn't played that poorly. as for not being able to throw the deep ball, the guy has never had a huge arm. he has done enough to win and get us in the playoffs. its our other part of the team that have not.

at least the guy can read a defense but he did look a little stiff last night and he has made some negative plays in inopportune times.

that being said, he is still one of the top 12 QBs in the league and to anyone blaming him for this year, wake up and smell the horrible defense and pathetic coaching. schaub would have 5 clutch come from behind wins this year, if not for pathetic defense and retarded coaching.

Keep your head up, Matt.

burro

probably drunk
I don't think he's injured. Rather I think that he is just Chad Pennington 2.0 (little arm strength, though average to above average accuracy - par for the course in decision making, though prone to make boneheaded plays, etc). More than anything, I just think we hype him too much. Is Schaub better than David Carr? Yes. By a lot? Yes. Does this mean he is the QB of the future and an elite player? Not by any drug induced stretch of a Texans fan's imagination. The big problem is that there is no one better at the moment. As much as I hate to say it, Schaub will probably be here for awhile (think McNabb in Philly). The best we can hope for is to get a good enough coach to decrease the frequency of Schaub's f*ck ups.

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
I think Schaub is playing kind of hurt/banged up, I don't think he's 100%. Not trying to make excuses, it just is what it is. He's never had a "strong" arm in the sense he's going to rocket the ball 50 yards down the field, but he's got the arm for what this offense needs.

I know of several instances this year where he hasn't hit the receiver in stride and a lot of people complaining about it. If you watched Schaub on those throws, I felt like it wasn't because of a lack of arm strength but more due to the closing of the pocket. He wasn't able to step into the throw like a QB should b/c there were people in front of him. He could put that zip on it and couldn't follow his arm through for the deep ball.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Schaub threw pretty well last year when he lead the league in passing yards. This year he's obviously off. As others have said, he's still better than half the QBs in the league right now, and he's the least of our worries as far as the team goes.

Maddict5

Hall of Fame
i thougth there was some zip on his intermediate passes but that throw to aj was a looper alright

panamamyers

Waterboy
Schaub is what he is. He's an average quarterback at best surrounded by an offense that enables him to just not screw up too badly and he puts up good numbers.

When that breaks down is when it comes time for him to step up and make a play on his own. He is not able to do it.

He might not be the problem with this team per se...but he's certainly not been able to find the answer to the problem either.

The sports world is littered with guys that put up hollow numbers that have little to do with winning and losing.

Look at Dominique Wilkins. Ostensibly he was just as good as Kobe Bryant.

They both have averaged 25 points per game for their careers. Both a little over one steal, half a block, Wilkins has more rebounds, Bryant more assists.

If games were won on paper, then you would be just as well off to have Wilkins as Kobe.

Games are not won on paper. Schaub will win you games on paper...

Schaub is what he is. He's an average quarterback at best surrounded by an offense that enables him to just not screw up too badly and he puts up good numbers.

When that breaks down is when it comes time for him to step up and make a play on his own. He is not able to do it.

He might not be the problem with this team per se...but he's certainly not been able to find the answer to the problem either.

The sports world is littered with guys that put up hollow numbers that have little to do with winning and losing.

They both have averaged 25 points per game for their careers. Both a little over one steal, half a block, Wilkins has more rebounds, Bryant more assists.

If games were won on paper, then you would be just as well off to have Wilkins as Kobe.

Nique and his hall of famers around him.:kubepalm:

zcity

Practice Squad
i thougth there was some zip on his intermediate passes but that throw to aj was a looper alright

He had a lot of zip on that screen pass that was intercepted in that end of 1st half spectacular.

Seriously - he has an obvious decrease in arm strength over the last few games - something is UP.

buddyboy

Rookie

Yesterday you said he was the worst qb in the NFL and you'd rather have anyone than him. Now you say he's "average".

You flip flop more than...well, something that flips and flops a lot.

TheCD

Rookie
that being said, he is still one of the top 12 QBs in the league and to anyone blaming him for this year, wake up and smell the horrible defense and pathetic coaching. schaub would have 5 clutch come from behind wins this year, if not for pathetic defense and retarded coaching.
I definitely agree that he isn't the biggest issue on the team. Complaining about Matt being the problem of why we're losing is almost like complaining that you have lung cancer because you have lungs (not the best analogy, but oh well).

That being said, is Matt replaceable? You better believe it. If a guy comes along (and one probably won't) that can play consistent, accurate football and nail the deep pass, we shouldn't even hesitate to pick him up.

You have to always be looking to upgrade your football team, and with the exception of Andre there is not one player on this team who isn't replaceable. The Eagles proved just this by drafting Kolb and picking up Vick when they had McNabb, who took them to 5 NFC Championship games. McNabb wasn't irreplaceable even after all he did...

So you're saying that Nique would have won these championships just like Kobe?
I'm just saying with a one man crew and your prime being vs the stacked Pistons, Bulls and Celtics...he had little to no shot.

Don't get it twisted, Kev Willis, Tree Rollins, Doc Rivers and Cliff Livingston were good for what they did, but having to deal with:

MJ
Isiah
Bird

He had no chance to win.

Put Nique in his prime with those 2000-2002 laker teams, he's sporting more bling than a gold digging groupie.

Rey

Schaub has a noodle arm. Well maybe not noodle, but it's far from being strong. That said, we've known that for a while. He's never been the guy that would stretch the field with long vertical passes, leading receivers so they could catch it it stride.

His strengths has been his ability to read defenses and keep drives a live by buying time in the pocket.

Last night though, he looked dumb at times. Schaub has been very inconsistent throughout his career here. Even though he put up a lot of yards last year, he was still inconsistent if you take the entire year into account.

I think Schaub is a good enough QB to win with...He's not elite, but if we could field a better defense to take some of the pressure off the offense I think we'd be a lot better.

panamamyers

Waterboy
I'm not flopping.

I don't like Schaub as our qb.
Whether he is slightly below average or the worst qb in the league is semantics.

Unless we get a top 2 or 3 defense, there is no way for us to win with him.
He is not good enough to make game winning plays on his own.

Maddict5

Hall of Fame
He had a lot of zip on that screen pass that was intercepted in that end of 1st half spectacular.

Seriously - he has an obvious decrease in arm strength over the last few games - something is UP.
that might have had something to do with arian dropping one first play of the game when we looked to have caught the eagles in perfect coverage for a big run

b0ng

Bad Hombre
You can't throw a deep ball when the pocket starts collapsing the second you hike the ball.
True, but Schaub has never had a good deep ball. It's serviceable because it will get there, but generally speaking receivers are almost always having to wait on the ball to get there rather than having to hot foot it downfield in order to get under it.

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
I'm not flopping.

Whether he is slightly below average or the worst qb in the league is semantics.

I'm pretty sure Vick is the only QB in the league that can make game winning palys on his own. All other QBs have to have some support and help (including Brady and Manning). We have the 32 ranked defense and we CAN win with Schaub and we HAVE. We don't need a top 2 or 3 defense but a middle of the pack D would make this team instant division winners and a consistent playoff team.

Washington - Lead the Texans to 20 unanswered points in the 2nd half to win the game which included a 4th quarter 81 yard drive with 3 minutes remaining that resulted in a 34 yard 4th down completion for the game tying touchdown and a 41 yard drive in overtime to put us in FG range to win.

Kansas City - Or what about the 21 points scored in the 4th quarter for the comeback win against the Chiefs which included an 80 yard drive that ended with another TD pass, this time with 30 seconds remaining in the game?

Look, you may not like Schaub and you may not want him as our QB. That's fine, it's your opinion and I don't have an issue with that. But to make sh*t up like he's one of the worst QBs in the league and that he isn't an integral part to us winning games is insane. He must of kicked your dog or something.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
He hasnt been able to throw a out route in over 2 years. It could be from the squat he has to do from the center because the center is scared of getting blown off the ball so he gets low. Schaub to me is a volume passer like a volume shooter. If you gave schaub 21 throws because the running game is working, he will probably be at 55% with a touch and a pick for 150 yds. If you gave schaub 35 passes, he would look like a elite qb. If i were the texans, i would draft a qb in the 1st or 2nd rd and use free agency to fill in the other spots. They need to start grooming a qb right now.

b0ng

Bad Hombre
He hasnt been able to throw a out route in over 2 years. It could be from the squat he has to do from the center because the center is scared of getting blown off the ball so he gets low. Schaub to me is a volume passer like a volume shooter. If you gave schaub 21 throws because the running game is working, he will probably be at 55% with a touch and a pick for 150 yds. If you gave schaub 35 passes, he would look like a elite qb. If i were the texans, i would draft a qb in the 1st or 2nd rd and use free agency to fill in the other spots. They need to start grooming a qb right now.
Matt Schaub has had under 21 pass attempts exactly 1 time since coming to Houston barring injury mid-game.

Trying to invent stats that don't exist is silly and he's never been under 64% completions throughout any season here. I can understand not liking Schaub because he doesn't have a great arm, or scrambling ability. But to say that he's really a Derek Anderson that throws more is silly. He'd be a 55% guy if he really was what you say he is. Adding pass attempts does not = higher completion percentage.

burro

probably drunk
If the defense weren't so terrible, I might agree with you. Unfortunately, as "not-quite-below-average" as Schaub is - he's serviceable enough to where we should focus 99% of our attention on the defense. The offense is fine, despite Schaub's "meh" factor.

Second Honeymoon

Hall of Fame
If our defense was average, schaub would be hottest QB in the league right now. He has had to come from behind all year.

He has made potentially game winning play in like 6 of the last 7 games. It's the defense that is losing these games.

Please tell me that I am not the only 1 who see this
Matt is a damn good QB and is going to be a HUGE factor in any top HCcandidate considering Houston

We need to find a winner for Sir Andre

TexCanada

All Pro
I'm not flopping.

This is such an useless argument. So what is your master plan then, get rid of Schaub and then what? Who is better that is going to replace him?

panamamyers

Waterboy
For every game he does well, he gives one away like he did last night with the pick and the noodle arm throw to Walter on 3rd down.

He gave away the Jaguars game with that horrible decision to throw to Dreesen on that third down. Absolutely horrid decision with the game on the line. One of the worst brain freezes I have ever seen. Up there with Chris Webber's timeout against NC.
Schaub said in the post-game he was going to go up there and clock the ball lol

That's all I needed to hear from him.

If you want a guy that has that little situational awareness running your team, then by all means...Schaub is your guy.

Vick is not the only guy that can do things on his own. Are you kidding me?
Jon Kitna is a better runner than Schaub. Everyone in the league can do things on their own except Schaub.
And by doing things on their own, I didn't mean scrambling anyways. I meant making plays that are off schedule. Making plays that any UDFA couldn't come in and make.

panamamyers

Waterboy
This is such an useless argument. So what is your master plan then, get rid of Schaub and then what? Who is better that is going to replace him?
Doesn't matter.
Find a way to get a qb.
Go back through the Super Bowl participants of the last 15 years. 17 of the 30 qb's are surefire Hall of Famers.
We can either wallow around in mediocrity while Schaub puts up some good numbers then start over in five years or we can just start over and get another qb and start the rebuilding process now.

Second Honeymoon

Hall of Fame
Dude makes plays to give his team lead with mere minutes left yet people want to get rid of him because the defense sucks

Pretty solid logic there
And Kitna>Schaub....that is pretty funny

wagonhed

Team Gruden
I just want to hurl when people watch the Texans....and come away with complaints about Schaub, of all things.
this is how I feel, but also about Mario.

how about we concentrate on the WORST part of our team, the coaching, instead of the BEST part of our team, our Pro Bowlers.

wagonhed

Team Gruden
Dude makes plays to give his team lead with mere minutes left yet people want to get rid of him because the defense sucks

Pretty solid logic there
And Kitna>Schaub....that is pretty funny
yup. didn't hear any of this last year when he was the leading passer. where is the venom for AJ, he doesn't have the numbers he had last year either (I think).

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
For every game he does well, he gives one away like he did last night with the pick and the noodle arm throw to Walter on 3rd down.

He gave away the Jaguars game with that horrible decision to throw to Dreesen on that third down. Absolutely horrid decision with the game on the line. One of the worst brain freezes I have ever seen. Up there with Chris Webber's timeout against NC.

If you want a guy that has that little situational awareness running your team, then by all means...Schaub is your guy.

Jon Kitna is a better runner than Schaub. Everyone in the league can do things on their own except Schaub.
And by doing things on their own, I didn't mean scrambling anyways. I meant making plays that are off schedule. Making plays that any UDFA couldn't come in and make.

Are you kidding me? Jon Kitna? Really? You sir have earned the Dumbest post ever award.

Big Lou

Hall of Fame
Schaub for the second game in a row - cannot throw a deep ball - Has no Zip on his passes . . .

This guy is injured - WTH - Shoulder, Ribs - What is the deal.

Every deep ball that was caught was a comeback, underthrow luck job - Any one know what's up ????????
You know Jamarcus Russel can throw the ball through the goal posts from the 50 yard line on his knees. He's available, what do you say????

There is more to QB'ing in the NFL than throwing the ball 75 miles an hour for 70 yards.........

Big Lou

Hall of Fame
Is all the Kubiak anger used up, now we're on to Schaub?

Who's next Arian Foster? Yeh Arian hasn't put up 200 yards rushing since game one, let's cut him!!!!

Andre_Johnson

Duck Fallas!

I'm sorry buddy, but I'm going to have to disagree with you 100% We were out of timeouts and the Jags D knew that, obviously that's why Dreesen was wide open for the first down. His job was to catch it, get the first down, then hurry to the line so we can spike it and attempt a long field goal to end the game. If that wouldn't have worked, we might've had a chance in overtime.

That was NOT a bad decision by Matt. It wasn't his fault Joel Dreesen fumbled it, and it definitely wasn't Matt Schaub's fault that we lost on one of the most unlikely hailmary catches in the history of the game!

:kubepalm:

I'm so baffled by your ignorance of the game and understanding of quarterbacks, Matt Schaub to Andre Johnson is one of the best duos in the NFL. Schaub's ability to win football games is not the problem, It's our defense. Please understand when I tell you this, we can't win if our Defense gives up 25+ points a game!

Texas T

Veteran
If our defense was average, schaub would be hottest QB in the league right now. He has had to come from behind all year.

He has made potentially game winning play in like 6 of the last 7 games. It's the defense that is losing these games.

Matt is a damn good QB and is going to be a HUGE factor in any top HCcandidate considering Houston

You are definitely not the only one. I think the other poster is the only one wanting to get rid of our pro-bowl QB because he can't overcome the lack of a defense we currently have.
Schaub is good, his main problem is the knowledge that he has to win the game and the defense will not be able to help.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

Well, if we had an average defense he might not be having to make those comebacks, but yeah, I agree.

I don't get the complaints about Schaub. No, he didn't have one of his better games Thursday. Yes, he has a noodle arm. Yes, he threw a 12 hopper to Walter like he was Barry Bonds trying to throw out Sid Bream. But to say the guy can't make plays, doesn't make winning plays to lead his team to victory, that's just crap. They did come back to take the lead on the Eagles, came back against the Jets, Jaguars, Chiefs, Redskins, he's been making plays all year to put this team in a position to win. But he doesn't play defense. The only reason they won the Washington game was because they scored in OT to end the game, meaning the defense wasn't allowed to take the field.

edo783

Hall of Fame
early in the year folks were commenting on how much zip Matt's passes had. Then about game 3-4 he took a couple of real good shots to the chest/rib area and since then his motion and zip have been ..... peculiar. He never had a cannon for an arm, but early in the year he had the most zing I have seen him have and then it went away. My guess is he is playing with a badly bruised chest/rib area and can't get the velocity like he was.

80tothezone

Veteran
I'm not flopping.

Ur just wrong there man ... how many game winning drives does a man need to make in each game? Should only be one right? well he does that and then Defense invents new ways to loose the game for us. We don't need a top 2 or 3 D to win with him but how bout a top 23 or 24? Or I would take 11 guys that would make even an attempt at getting in the way of SOMEONE's offense as they march down the field to score in critical moments.

80tothezone

Veteran
yup. didn't hear any of this last year when he was the leading passer. where is the venom for AJ, he doesn't have the numbers he had last year either (I think).
droppin AJ ASAP is a given man I mean so the dude played with bruised lung and is the only guy to have 8 seasons with 60+ catches ... drop his ***** ass while ur at it might as well cash in on that scrub arian foster ....that was sarcasm btw and dre still got over 1000 yrd this season #3 in the NFL

Last edited:

80tothezone

Veteran
oh and for a guy that sucks he sure is top 5 consistently in passing and 4th in 20+ plays ... this year with the #1 running game too which means he is doing it on less attempts ....yep I can read stats off NFL.com u should try it sometime oh BTW his 93.2 passer rating isn't half bad either...

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Schaub isn't an elite QB, but on the other hand he's an above-average QB
who IMO we can win with.
And for the umptenth time, it's the defense and I'm not talking about Frank Bush. Remember when they fired the last guy/DC and everybody said now our D problems have been solved. We need better defensive players, whether or not they keep Frank Bush.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Schaub has a noodle arm. Well maybe not noodle, but it's far from being strong. That said, we've known that for a while. He's never been the guy that would stretch the field with long vertical passes, leading receivers so they could catch it it stride.

His strengths has been his ability to read defenses and keep drives a live by buying time in the pocket.

Last night though, he looked dumb at times. Schaub has been very inconsistent throughout his career here. Even though he put up a lot of yards last year, he was still inconsistent if you take the entire year into account.

I think Schaub is a good enough QB to win with...He's not elite, but if we could field a better defense to take some of the pressure off the offense I think we'd be a lot better.
spot on. I pointed this out a couple of years ago and got shouted down. I noticed then that wide open guys would have to wait on the ball and have to settle for long gains on what should have been TD catches.
That said, I still think his decision making (most of the time) and knowledge/understanding of this offense makes up for his average arm (again, most of the time).

Getting rid of Schaub won't cure a defense that gives up 28 pts/game. That's the issue that needs to be fixed.

saaay... Orlovsky has a strong arm, you want to start him??

80tothezone

Veteran
spot on. I pointed this out a couple of years ago and got shouted down. I noticed then that wide open guys would have to wait on the ball and have to settle for long gains on what should have been TD catches.
That said, I still think his decision making (most of the time) and knowledge/understanding of this offense makes up for his average arm (again, most of the time).

Getting rid of Schaub won't cure a defense that gives up 28 pts/game. That's the issue that needs to be fixed.

saaay... Orlovsky has a strong arm, you want to start him??
if the game changes to a race out the back of the end zone sure!!!

Texanmike02

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Yes. Nevermind that DW played in an era when teams averaged 120 a game instead of 100. Having someone score 25%+ of the points a team needed to win vs 18-20% isn't a difference.

Its not necessary to actually look at anything but the raw numbers when analyzing them.

Mike