Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ryan Mallett

seegara, savage looked like he was crapping himself in the indy game and couldn't even hand the ball off. savage is garbage imo.

You get that from a half of football from a rookie who wasn't expecting to play?

You are definitely too hard to please.

You have to look back on the same things that made you draft him in the first place. His College career and projectable talent.

You get that from a half of football from a rookie who wasn't expecting to play?

You are definitely too hard to please.

You have to look back on the same things that made you draft him in the first place. His College career and projectable talent.

^Tools

seegara, savage looked like he was crapping himself in the indy game and couldn't even hand the ball off. savage is garbage imo.

To be fair, it was his 1st ever NFL action. Throwing the garbage tag on someone after 3 quarters of play is a little premature, don't you think? Then again, this board is full of Miss Cleo's.

They aren't going to do what I think they should.
Thank God!

To be fair, it was his 1st ever NFL action. Throwing the garbage tag on someone after 3 quarters of play is a little premature, don't you think? Then again, this board is full of Miss Cleo's.

in every sense of the term

Texans quarterback Ryan Mallett finally got his chance to start in the league last season. Unfortunately, his starting opportunity was cut short after three games when he tore a pectoral muscle. Mallet said on Monday he's finally back to healthy after rehabbing the injury, according to ESPN.com.

"I'm ready to go," Mallet replied. "I'm still getting better every day. I don't feel any restrictions. It's about me. It's about managing and being smart with my body. Just doing the right thing as we progress. I need to play in August, September, and those months. Not April right now, you know?"

Mallet is expected to split first team reps with newcomer Brian Hoyer in OTAs at quarterback.
Link

From 12/25/14:
Barring this injury to be very exceptional in nature (such as a very rare mid muscle rupture) or an unforeseen postoperative complication ensues, repair should return Mallet to pre-injury level of performance. Rehab should allow him to begin light weight lifting at ~4 months and return to play at ~6 months. Mallet who had surgery the end of November should have plenty of time during OTAs and TC to maximally strengthen and hone his skills to be prepared to start the 1st game of the 2015 season, if that is the Texans game plan.

The first Texans OTA will be May 26...........almost 6 months to the day following his pec surgery. He'll start out slow and should be able to progress as I layed out last December.

Here's hoping he next time he plays injured and can't hit the broad side of a barn both he and Bill O'Brien are willing to throw the backup in there rather than trying to suck it up and costing the team a must-win game.

Here's hoping he next time he plays injured and can't hit the broad side of a barn both he and Bill O'Brien are willing to throw the backup in there rather than trying to suck it up and costing the team a must-win game.

I was going to post and say if Mallett wanted to try it and he was making the right reads but bad throw it could be a useful experiment...

But no. Some where in that game was bad coaching. Don't know what level.

My theory is OB wanted a 'culture change' to 'team first' because McNairOBoB is cheap and doesn't want a star QB he has to pay so OB sent an unpaid intern to punch Mallett in the pec. and now we can get to 9-7 or 10-6 on his coaching prowess rather than say a QB, WR, and offense,...

I was going to post and say if Mallett wanted to try it and he was making the right reads but bad throw it could be a useful experiment...

But no. Some where in that game was bad coaching. Don't know what level.

My theory is OB wanted a 'culture change' to 'team first' because McNairOBoB is cheap and doesn't want a star QB he has to pay so OB sent an unpaid intern to punch Mallett in the pec. and now we can get to 9-7 or 10-6 on his coaching prowess rather than say a QB, WR, and offense,...

The barn is way overdue for a cleaning.

Playoffs put me onto this piece.

Why Houston Texans Should Favor Ryan Mallett as Opening Day Starter

By Rivers McCown , NFL Analyst May 13, 2015

When an NFL team does not have an established star quarterback, the coaching staff is provided with a myriad of options to choose from. Sometimes, the decision is really easy: You have a high-round draft pick who hasn't fully established himself but has shown promise (Ryan Tannehill, for instance.) Sometimes, you'll have a high-round pick who hasn't shown any promise, but no other quarterback on the roster threatens him (Blake Bortles is a good proxy here).

The Houston Texans quarterback debate comes down to a very simple equation: what we know versus what we don't.

Assuming Tom Savage doesn't suddenly become Brett Favre overnight, the Texans are going to have Ryan Mallett (the unknown) versus Brian Hoyer (the known). According to Deepi Sidhu at the Texans' official site, the two will split first-team reps at OTAs:

This offseason has been as smooth as a transition can be for quarterback Brian Hoyer. Despite being three years removed (from) Bill O’Brien’s offense, Hoyer feels like he’s been able to pick up where he left off in 2011.

“It’s not new - for me, it’s kind of just getting back on the bike,” Hoyer said Monday. “You learn to ride a bike and whether you don’t ride it for a year or two, you can pick it up pretty quickly. There’s some adjustments, especially with (George) Godsey being the offensive coordinator. It’s been a great three weeks so far of getting re-acclimated and learning the nuances that he’s kind of put his own spin on.”

Houston head coach Bill O'Brien will have to weigh the known versus the unknown. As I've written a couple of times before about Ryan Mallett, I'm not sold on him as a solution for the quarterback slot. The elevator pitch version is: I'm concerned that he'll never be accurate enough to be an NFL starter. This was the knock on him coming out of Arkansas, and it played out that way in preseason games; one solid effort in a run-first game plan against the Browns isn't enough to dissuade me.

That said, with Mallett, the Texans at least have the possibility of the unknown. We haven't seen Mallett's career play out over a large sample size. There's still a "what if?" factor on Mallett.

And I would argue that it's more important for the future of the franchise to answer that question than it is to (in theory) get another few steady games of Brian Hoyer. A team with a quarterback question is a team that needs to seek any actual solution it can possibly get. Just because I am personally not high on his odds of success doesn't make Mallett a non-solution.

Actually a pretty honest assessment.

Not to mention that he was on the scout team the entire year, not even getting live reps with the Texans office until the week beforehand. Heck he actually made some nice down field throws when he wasn't chasing the snap, or turning the wrong way.

Back