Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Ryan Mallett

Well thunderkyss, which gentleman's club would you like to take me to?

:hides:

First, I didn't think gentleman's bet meant gentleman's club... but that's ok.

Second, you're right. I don't think they see Mallett as the starter. Bradock was just on the radio saying they (RickyBobby) thinks we're a play-off team with Hoyer. & though Mallett may feel confident he'll win the job, QB competitions usually come with a wink & a nod.

I just hope Savage gets a legitimate chance at the backup job. Hard for me to believe he won't be at least as good after another offseason and camp as Hoyer, and for less money.

I'd like to think he'll be given a fair shot. OB doesn't seem like the type to play favorites.

Then again, maybe Hoyer's a different cat under OB? I only saw a handful of Hoyer with the Browns, but he seemed undisciplined and reckless at times.

But, after reading McClain's comment:

It sounds like we didn't really want him to begin with. Mallett wanted to be here more than we wanted him here, according to reports that he turned down more than twice the money.

Based on Obie's quotes I think they just played the leverage game with Mallett. From Mallett's perspective, this is really the only team where he can come in with full knowledge of the playbook, under the coach that was there when he was drafted. My guess is that the Texans' wanted to stretch that deal to 3-4 total years with more money attached, and Mallet wanted to keep it a short "prove it" deal with less money.

Now if Mallett comes in and lights it up, I don't think anyone of the fans would mind giving him a nice contract. If he flops they are at almost no risk in terms of the cap, but like you said if he's a Daltonesque type player you could get yourself into trouble if you don't value him correctly.

Edit: Fear not, the gentleman's club was just a joke. :) You can tip your fedora, to settle the bet.

I'm grateful we were able to land both for what appears to be back up/prove it type contracts. I don't know why, but I thought we'd have to over pay for Mallett to come back. We can whack either next year without major repercussions.

I sure hope Mallett pans out. Otherwise, it's another year down the drain

Would have over paid if Kubes was still here.

Would Andre not be considered a "core guy" based on that description??

Read carefully, especially the bolded part:

“What we try to do is do the best we can to keep our core players together, and Kareem and Derek are two guys that are core players,” O’Brien said Sunday at the Sowciak Olympics of Houston annual fundraiser. “They’re agreat example of hard work and perseverance.

“Guys that come into this organization and are good citizens and play hard and do everything that they’re asked of, they’re going to get rewarded, and that’s what happened with Kareem and Derek.”

A.J. was asked to play a lesser role, but he refused and now wants a trade.

And honestly, as far as I'm concerned they can have him. I'd rather roll into the season starting Mallet with Savage and Fitz (or even Savage and Keenum) backing him up than bring Hoyer here.

I've just never understood the appeal plus now he's got Cleveland Brown all over him. He tracks that **** into our locker room and who knows what could happen to our 2015 season!

I was a bit shocked at first when I read "Texans / Hoyer" on the NFLN ticket, but then I remember Hoyer learned this system in NE.

I would share the concerns about Cleveland, but then I remembered when I used to change my kids' diapers. Sometimes you get a little poo on your finger, but just wash it off with some soap and hot water and it doesn't stay on you. Being a Brown is just like that, too, so the Texans just need to decontaminate Hoyer - which they will by being a professional organization (soap) and having much better coaches (hot water) - and that poop brown will be washed down the drain.

And yeah, I can think of no better metaphor for the Cleveland Browns than a dirty diaper. Johnny Manziel is just the newest turd in it.

I'd like to think he'll be given a fair shot. OB doesn't seem like the type to play favorites.

Then again, maybe Hoyer's a different cat under OB? I only saw a handful of Hoyer with the Browns, but he seemed undisciplined and reckless at times.

Fitz was certainly a better QB under O'Brien that he was ever prior to being a Texan. I was pleasantly surprised, to be honest, because I was 100% negative on Fitz and expected nothing positive from him. Last season, though, changed my mind about him, and that was directly due to O'Brien. I'd say give it a chance with Hoyer, just to see if O'Brien really is a quarterback whisperer.

Woah.. did we just sign him for 1.75 first year with no second year guarntee?

The Mallett deal reportedly runs two years for a total of $7 million with a little less than $2 million guaranteed for the first year.

From PFT.com

He'll get more than 1.75 for this year if he lasts to be a question about a 2nd year.

Probably something like 1.75 signing bonus, 1.75 salary for 2015 and $3.5 mil salary for 2016 (with everyone understanding if he is here in 2016 it will be redone).

A.J. was asked to play a lesser role, but he refused and now wants a trade.
Or AJ, with above a room-temperature IQ saw the discussion for what it was, a request to take a huge pay cut, one more suited to that "lesser role".

Fitz was certainly a better QB under O'Brien that he was ever prior to being a Texan. I was pleasantly surprised, to be honest, because I was 100% negative on Fitz and expected nothing positive from him. Last season, though, changed my mind about him, and that was directly due to O'Brien. I'd say give it a chance with Hoyer, just to see if O'Brien really is a quarterback whisperer.
I'm almost looking at Hoyer as the "insurance starter" until Mallett is back to 100%. At least neither have to learn this system from scratch.

I'm almost looking at Hoyer as the "insurance starter" until Mallett is back to 100%. At least neither have to learn this system from scratch.

Wasn't Hoyer playing pretty good football prior to his injury last season ?

Hell .... he might turn into a serviceable option. The bar isn't set very high anyway.

Wasn't Hoyer playing pretty good football prior to his injury last season ?

Hell .... he might turn into a serviceable option. The bar isn't set very high anyway.

He was playing pretty good until Alex Mack went down with injury

Looks like they played it pretty well. Pretty clear BOB isn't handing the franchise to Mallett, which is the smart thing. Why hitch your wagon to a guy who played 1 game? He obviously didn't like him THAT much last year to only give up a 7th.

Now, the Hoyer rumors started during the season last year when they played the Browns. Got a feeling BOB might like Hoyer better.

To me it isn't Fitz > Hoyer. It's that they're two cats fighting in a bag...and I don't like cats. I'm certainly not spending an extra mil to upgrade the overpaid one I've got.

Mallett is a best option with potential decision. Brilliance is TBD down the road. If Mallett sinks and Bortles/Bridgewater turns out, brilliance won't be the word choice. If Mallett outshines them, then maybe so.

They paid the extra million to 1. Get Hoyer who BOB considers an upgrade over Fitz. 2. So they can trade Fitz and recoup a draft pick.

If the Texans get the Mallett that played against Cleveland then Texan fans should be very happy.

Mallett will start,

Listen guys Bob saw how valuable it is in the NFL to have a good back up, after we were on our 4th QB this season :kitten:

Or AJ, with above a room-temperature IQ saw the discussion for what it was, a request to take a huge pay cut, one more suited to that "lesser role".

You are probably right about A.J.'s perception.

That said, it was pretty much a given that A.J. had to renegotiate a better deal because this team could could not carry a $16 million hit even if A.J. was WR1.

He knew and we knew what the Texans NEEDED before he even met with O'Brien. Just like Brady and Manning took pay cuts for the benefit of the team, why couldn't A.J. be expected to do the same in order to field a better team?

No matter how you slice and dice what we've been told at this point, it is clear that A.J. was not going to take a lesser role. And we can speculate, but perhaps he was not willing to renegotiate his contract, as well?

It's his right to do so, but A.J. is putting Andre Johnson before the Houston Texans. I'm not going to hold that against him, but as a Texans fan, this franchise has to do what is best for the 2015 team.

That was my thought, as well. Hoyer is a competent insurance backup, and I'm okay with that.

That said, it was pretty much a given that A.J. had to renegotiate a better deal because this team could could not carry a $16 million hit even if A.J. was WR1.

He knew and we knew what the Texans NEEDED before he even met with O'Brien. Just like Brady and Manning took pay cuts for the benefit of the team, why couldn't A.J. be expected to do the same in order to field a better team?

It's his right to do so, but A.J. is putting Andre Johnson before the Houston Texans.

I don't think that is fair at all. AJ's cap hit was huge because AJ complied with the Texans' requests (3 times) to move cap hit into this year. There's no way there weren't assurances made along the way that it wouldn't be held against him later, "thanks for doing this." Now it's being held against him.

I don't think that is fair at all. AJ's cap hit was huge because AJ complied with the Texans' requests to move cap hit into this year. There's no way there weren't assurances made along the way that it wouldn't be held against him later, "thanks for doing this." Now it's being held against him.

On the other hand, most of those assurance and extensions came during the Kubiak tenure, granted Smith and McNair had a hand in it, but with a coaching change and a change in offense, you've got to expect a change in culture and the possibility that those assurances were worth the paper they were written on. (And they weren't written on any paper.)

I feel bad for AJ but more that he never got a good agent to really negotiate the deals he deserved.

I don't think that is fair at all. AJ's cap hit was huge because AJ complied with the Texans' requests to move cap hit into this year. There's no way there weren't assurances made along the way that it wouldn't be held against him later, "thanks for doing this." Now it's being held against him.

I don't think it's the Cap Space from dead money that is the issue. It is the $10.5M 2015 salary and $11M 2016 salary that is at issue.

I still think spreading it out over three or four years would be the preferred option, but AJ balked. I still don't think he get's cut until Cap Space cannot be found elsewhere.

I don't think that is fair at all. AJ's cap hit was huge because AJ complied with the Texans' requests (3 times) to move cap hit into this year. There's no way there weren't assurances made along the way that it wouldn't be held against him later, "thanks for doing this." Now it's being held against him.

I agree in general. "Fair" is not a quality that is valued by NFL front offices and agents. I think it is goofy that we call these agreements "contracts" at all, because they are barely "a formal and legally binding agreements" from the team's perspective. Guaranteed money and cap hits are all that really keeps teams in any sort of binding agreement, but teams can, and do, cut players all the time that still have contracts with them. Players do not have that freedom. Players are truly legally required by the agreement to honor it until the franchise says otherwise.

As far as assurances, I've already said my bit that McNair is just like the other 31 owners to me now. His word is no longer honorable to me as a result. He should have kept his mouth shut instead of letting it write checks that he would never cash. When he starts blather about J.J. Watt retiring a Texan, I know it will be more marketing spewage devoid of any honorable and trustworthy words.

That said, we knew that $16 million for A.J. in 2015 was not going to fly. Stupid for teams to even structure it that way, so the FO certainly shares in this dishonorable drama that is being played out.

However, IMO, A.J. should have sat tight, "accepted" the alleged reduced role, and earned his $16 million...or, make the Texans have to force the issue and let them have the full weight of bad publicity on their heads. As it is right now with A.J.'s trade/release demand, it seems like fans are divided between team loyalty and player respect.

However, IMO, A.J. should have sat tight, "accepted" the alleged reduced role, and earned his $16 million...or, make the Texans have to force the issue and let them have the full weight of bad publicity on their heads. As it is right now with A.J.'s trade/release demand, it seems like fans are divided between team loyalty and player respect.

Totally agree AJ made a misstep by speaking out on feeling insulted and played into there even being a debate on loyalty to the team. My speculation is that was exactly the purpose of the ham-handed presentation to begin with. But whether it was innocent or Machiavellian AJ should have called them on it and said "I'm just here to give 110%"...[to himself - pay me or it's on you].

I'm extremely excited about Mallet.........not so much about Hoyer.

Not to add any controversy/anxiety to the Hoyer acquisition, but I can't help but being somewhat guarded re. Hoyer after being knocked out of the end of the season with a "shoulder injury" when he was driven into the ground.........of his throwing arm. He tried to throw a week later and could hardly get the ball out of his hand. What did not get widely publicized is that he also suffered a biceps injury during that same play. I certainly hope that Hoyer will be thoroughly checked out medically (including MRI/MRI arthrogram as appropriate) and performance tested before all is finalized. A QB coming back from an ACL can be quite different from a QB trying to come back from some combination shoulder and biceps injuries.

& we can blame his uncle for Andre being underpaid, but it may very well have been that Andre took less money to stay here. Same as Duane Brown & now Ryan Mallett & Kareem Jackson.

Now we have a situation where the Texans will need to take a cap hit that's higher than what Andre is worth... I understand "too much" higher would be & should be out of the question. But "a little" higher should be doable.

If you think Andre is worth $6M/yr, then I'd work his contract out to $8M or even $9M... for 2015.

2016 would be a lot easier to get his cap number & his value in line. 2017 even easier.

That said, we knew that $16 million for A.J. in 2015 was not going to fly. Stupid for teams to even structure it that way, so the FO certainly shares in this dishonorable drama that is being played out.

I don't know about that. I believe it frames the conversation... gives you a starting point.

Andre is due $21M in new money. With that in mind, it makes sense for the organization to think "pay cut" and approach it as such.

"Andre, you weren't worth $21M over the last two seasons, surely you won't be worth $21M over the next two."

Or...

"Andre.. $21M over the next two seasons? We can't do that, you know we can't. How about $21 over the next four? We'll even change your $9M of your 2015 salary into a signing bonus, give it to you up front."

But RickyBobby came out with, "We value you about as much as we value Demaris Johnson... you feel me?"

To me, this seems like a guarantee that we are not going to draft a QB. Or if we do, it won't be in the first 2 rounds.

I am not excited about Hoyer at all. I think even in a system like ours he is at best a sidegrade from Fitzpatrick. I'd actually rather have Fitzpatrick on the roster than Hoyer (I'm assuming they will end up cutting Fitzy) and keep Savage as the 3rd guy.

Jesus, give it a rest already...

There's a strange one in the jungle

And he questions all that one thinks

With a new and exciting drink

Freshen up, freshen up, freshen up

Freshen up, freshen up, freshen up

Guyana punch, uh-oh, uh-oh-oh

Guyana punch, uh-oh-oh-oh-oh-ooooh :uprights: