Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Running back

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Um...no. You have your starters: Tunsil, Scharping, Martin, Fulton, Howard. Texans are going Pass Rusher or WR. DB is a possibility.
I agree, pass rusher, WR, and CB are top priorities. If there was a potential franchise RB available in the 2nd or 3rd I wouldn’t be pissed with the selection though. I’d also love to replace Fulton at RG, but I’d look to do that in FA. I think he’s been pretty poor this year

281Texan

Waterboy
I agree, pass rusher, WR, and CB are top priorities. If there was a potential franchise RB available in the 2nd or 3rd I wouldn’t be pissed with the selection though. I’d also love to replace Fulton at RG, but I’d look to do that in FA. I think he’s been pretty poor this year
Fulton looked good at center, but we also just gave Martin a ton of money for whatever the f- reason. I’d love to see those two compete in camp next year for the spot. But if you need a WR this is the year to get him. We don’t need a Jerry Jeudy just a guy like fuller or Robby Anderson (who is a FA) who can stretch the field. It’s insane how inept this offense looks without fuller

badboy

Hall of Fame
Lol at the people saying Johnson isn't being used properly or is being underused. How many touches/passes a game are ya'll expecting him to get as a 3rd down back? There are better options in the run game & he isn't going to get 10 or more passes thrown to him a game in the pass game.......not with at least 3 other better options than him out there..4 if you count Fells.
The idea teX is to not have him as a third down back but as a three down RB. That's why people are posting he is being misused and underused. If he was used as a WR with same snaps who would be the other two better than him leaving out Hop? Stats say Stills but he catches most of his beyond LOS while Duke rarely lines up on LOS. I'm not knocking Kenny but Duke could be just as good as a WR.

Duke catches 44 of 62 targets 410 @ 9.3 3 TDs
Kenny Stills 40 of 56 targets 561 @ 14 4 TDs

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yes and edge Ejiofor will be back. I'm really looking forward to what he will bring to field.
I actually think a 5 tech or a NT so they can move Reader around is as big a need as an edge. A cover LB would also be great to get.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I miss the kind of RB play that Foster made look easy. Wish the Texans had a franchise back to go along with their franchise WR and franchise QB.
I think Najee Harris Alabama 6'1" 230 reminds me some of Derrick Henry could be a franchise type.

Edit: it is being reported that Harris is returning to school.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
Duke had a game on Saturday..probably his best game as a Texan imo................... but the problem with getting him on the field more is he's a liability in pass pro for 2 reasons. 1, he's not physical enough at the point of attack when he has to block...At least 2 of DW4's sacks were on him..the guy he was supposed to block disrupted everything. The other reason is b/c him being on the field signals to defenses that they can take advantage of that aspect of his game by blitzing...........or b/c he will most likely be going out in route...which effectively means DW4 is back there naked. Hyde's the better pass blocker of the 2 & that has alot more value when you consider our o-line issues. He's also the more physical runner of the 2 which has practical implications later in the game when defenses are tired and worn down. So even if Hyde's not gashing teams with his runs, he's still contributing...none of those contributions will show up in the stat sheets though.
that is a big point in my thread--we don't use a pass protector and often that's because we have a TE blocking on line plus I think O'Brien believes better to have a target to pass to than a RB blocking for #4.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Um...no. You have your starters: Tunsil, Scharping, Martin, Fulton, Howard. Texans are going Pass Rusher or WR. DB is a possibility.
what are your thoughts on Fulton who has had a bad season? I'm hoping they spend a poop load of that cap space for FA Brandon Scherff. We also have had no one step up as a reliable backup for any of those players you mentioned. I'm hoping it will be Rodrick Johnson but he has done little so far.

badboy

Hall of Fame
We seem to be telegraphing our plays. About 85-90% of the time of Hyde is in IT's a run if Duke is in IT's a pass.
Duke is 83 run and half that at 44 receiving. I agree on Hyde as he is not known to be a functional catcher.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I actually think a 5 tech or a NT so they can move Reader around is as big a need as an edge. A cover LB would also be great to get.
I think that can be Omenihu especially opposite Watt if Blackson replaces Reader at Nose. In limited action he had 3 sacks, 2 TFL, 5 QB hits, 2 passes defended and he is only 22 YOA!

2019 Guide: What Ourlads' NFL Scouting Services said about CHARLES OMENIHU: Texas, 6053 280 4.94. Two and a half year starter from Rowlett, TX. First-team All-Big 12 defender finally blossomed in 2018. Is one of the more impressive specimens in this class when you are looking at simple triangle numbers. Has the NFL body right now and will make an impact early on as a run defender from any and all angles of the defensive line. Can be graded at different positions based on which scheme he is placed into, but no matter what his upside is intriguing and he will be a physical force against the run. If he can continue to progress as a pass rusher the way he did in 2018, he will be one of the more dangerous inside-out defenders in the NFL. Has the kind of body that football gods carve from stone. Elite frame that carries weight with ease across his ultra-wide wingspan and well proportioned body. The size translates to quality football movement and power production. Creates heavy and sturdy contact. Will often play lower than his opponent in one-on-one situations despite the lengthy height. Repeated hand and feet techniques. Has experience inside and outside with the skill set to go with that kind of versatility label. High effort player that will pursue across and down the field with bad intentions and a scary amount of power.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
The idea teX is to not have him as a third down back but as a three down RB. That's why people are posting he is being misused and underused. If he was used as a WR with same snaps who would be the other two better than him leaving out Hop? Stats say Stills but he catches most of his beyond LOS while Duke rarely lines up on LOS. I'm not knocking Kenny but Duke could be just as good as a WR.

Duke catches 44 of 62 targets 410 @ 9.3 3 TDs
Kenny Stills 40 of 56 targets 561 @ 14 4 TDs
I don’t believe Duke could be as credible a deep threat as Stills is. He’s probably also not as fast as Stills nor is probably as good of a routerunner either. All those elements come into play when lining him up on the LOS as a WR. And when u consider that we’d have to take Stills out & insert Duke in as his replacement at WR, now he likely gets a nickel DB or a safety covering him as opposed to the LB he gets now as a 4th receiving option coming out of the backfield. That’s a big difference in abilities to cover and a matchup that probably wouldn’t favor us most times.

Having him come out of the backfield and used like he currently is drawing a linebacker in coverage is a match up that almost always will be in our favor every game. And what’s more we don’t have to take other credible receiving weapons off the field to reap that benefit.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
that is a big point in my thread--we don't use a pass protector and often that's because we have a TE blocking on line plus I think O'Brien believes better to have a target to pass to than a RB blocking for #4.
Good thing we gave up a 3rd for him then.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I've always been of the belief that rb's shouldn't be drafted in the first round. I know that's somewhat polarizing, but the shelf life is just to short and the position is to injury prone. Age probably effects them more then any other position. When they lose a step they fall off the cliff fast.

I like Duke and I think hes underutilized. I'm not sure we know how to scheme him correctly. He's not a better wr then a guy like stills but the matchup between him and a lb should favor us 90% of the time. We just don't seem to go after that matchup like we should. The drawback to Duke is he doesn't block well and has trouble running up the middle.

This offense would be best served with a power rb who can run up the middle. We should be looking for a guy who gets great yardage after contact even if he runs a 4.6 40.

Problem is, ob wants that speed ,but he cant scheme it effectively.

Reactions: ROO

badboy

Hall of Fame
I don’t believe Duke could be as credible a deep threat as Stills is. He’s probably also not as fast as Stills nor is probably as good of a routerunner either. All those elements come into play when lining him up on the LOS as a WR. And when u consider that we’d have to take Stills out & insert Duke in as his replacement at WR, now he likely gets a nickel DB or a safety covering him as opposed to the LB he gets now as a 4th receiving option coming out of the backfield. That’s a big difference in abilities to cover and a matchup that probably wouldn’t favor us most times.

Having him come out of the backfield and used like he currently is drawing a linebacker in coverage is a match up that almost always will be in our favor every game. And what’s more we don’t have to take other credible receiving weapons off the field to reap that benefit.
Stills outside and move Duke Johnson in as the slot where speed is not that much of a factor. I am not denigrating Stills and appreciate his skills Just trying to take advantage of what we know works. Regardless of what Fuller does playoffs I do not expect him back next year. His 10 million dollars cap hit could be better used elsewhere.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
There’s only 1 football and all these guys have strengths and weaknesses. The best way to garner production from all of them is exactly how they’re being utilized & I don’t think that taking 1-3 more targets/touches away from Hyde, Stills or even Fells to give to Duke would make that much of a difference in our offense.

what’s more is even if we don’t bring back Fuller, We’ve seen that Stills isn’t an adequate replacement for him and we’ve seen how this offense looks without Fuller. IOW, we’d have to bring in someone that brings what he brings to the table...which means Stills stays where he is as the #3 and Duke stays where he is. Funny thing is, if Coutee could get his **** together, Duke or Stills probably wouldn’t even be here.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I've always been of the belief that rb's shouldn't be drafted in the first round. I know that's somewhat polarizing, but the shelf life is just to short and the position is to injury prone. Age probably effects them more then any other position. When they lose a step they fall off the cliff fast.

I like Duke and I think hes underutilized. I'm not sure we know how to scheme him correctly. He's not a better wr then a guy like stills but the matchup between him and a lb should favor us 90% of the time. We just don't seem to go after that matchup like we should. The drawback to Duke is he doesn't block well and has trouble running up the middle.

This offense would be best served with a power rb who can run up the middle. We should be looking for a guy who gets great yardage after contact even if he runs a 4.6 40.

Problem is, ob wants that speed ,but he cant scheme it effectively.
Prior to Duke’s arrival, our 3rd down back was Alfred Blue. That dude didn’t even see more than 30 targets in any 1 season he was here and the only reason he saw more that 100 carries in any 1 season is b/c he always wound up having to start at least 2 games for us b/c Miller was out hurt.

But even with him getting more carries than Duke, Duke’s production in the run game is still on par with Blue’s and Duke has had nearly 40 more targets than Blue ever had in any 1 year he was here.
Now what that says aside from the fact that Blue wasn’t that good....which we all knew, is that Duke is getting many more touches and looks than any 3rd down back prior under BoB and there has CLEARLY been a concerted effort to get him touches.

He is not being underutilized & the only reason his number “appear” to be down compared to his numbers in previous years is b/c in Cleveland he was higher in the pecking order in the passing game there...at least in his 1st few years. His last year there, he saw the same amount of targets there that he got here this year.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Prior to Duke’s arrival, our 3rd down back was Alfred Blue. That dude didn’t even see more than 30 targets in any 1 season he was here and the only reason he saw more that 100 carries in any 1 season is b/c he always wound up having to start at least 2 games for us b/c Miller was out hurt.

But even with him getting more carries than Duke, Duke’s production in the run game is still on par with Blue’s and Duke has had nearly 40 more targets than Blue ever had in any 1 year he was here.
Now what that says aside from the fact that Blue wasn’t that good....which we all knew, is that Duke is getting many more touches and looks than any 3rd down back prior under BoB and there has CLEARLY been a concerted effort to get him touches.

He is not being underutilized & the only reason his number “appear” to be down compared to his numbers in previous years is b/c in Cleveland he was higher in the pecking order in the passing game there...at least in his 1st few years. His last year there, he saw the same amount of targets there that he got here this year.
Blue actually had a couple of decent games. That said, he doesn't compare to duke.

what are your thoughts on Fulton who has had a bad season? I'm hoping they spend a poop load of that cap space for FA Brandon Scherff. We also have had no one step up as a reliable backup for any of those players you mentioned. I'm hoping it will be Rodrick Johnson but he has done little so far.
Actually, they could plug Greg Mancz at guard for Fulton.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Fulton looked good at center, but we also just gave Martin a ton of money for whatever the f- reason. I’d love to see those two compete in camp next year for the spot. But if you need a WR this is the year to get him. We don’t need a Jerry Jeudy just a guy like fuller or Robby Anderson (who is a FA) who can stretch the field. It’s insane how inept this offense looks without fuller
I think we undervalue just how good Will Fuller is. He's the best on the team to create separation and get open, and not just on deep routes. You lose one of your best offensive weapons, the offense will suffer. You don't replace Fuller with simply any fast receiver, we should have learned that lesson with Stills.

RGV82

Random guy
Blue actually had a couple of decent games. That said, he doesn't compare to duke.
Yeah this is an odd comparison. They are 2 totally different players. Duke is like 5'9" and great as a receiver out of the backfield and pass protector, and Blue was like 6'2", bad pass protector and barely caught any passes as a receiver.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think we undervalue just how good Will Fuller is. He's the best on the team to create separation and get open, and not just on deep routes. You lose one of your best offensive weapons, the offense will suffer. You don't replace Fuller with simply any fast receiver, we should have learned that lesson with Stills.
Fuller is like a nice Corvette sitting in your driveway. It looks good and occasionally when you take it out it's still fast and fulfilling. Just don't know when it will break down and have to go in the shop. Unfortunately next season the cost triple and the year after you lose control of the car. Now if I can rework 2020 for 4 years at $50 m with base at 5 m GTD each for first two season with production to increase to 12 m. The final two years anyway you want with zero $ GTD, I will sign. I probably would throw in signing bonus of couple million to give him 12 GTD and 7 in 2020. I like my Corvette but I need to have some sort of confidence I will get my full value from the shiny car.

281Texan

Waterboy
That’s a fair point. On the other hand, I don’t think we use stills properly. He is a burner that can take the top off of defenses but we use him in the same fashion we use hop. Average depth of target for hopkins is 10.5 stills is 10.7 fuller is 14.1. So while fuller is effective with underneath stuff, slants, outs, curls, etc. he’s generally speaking getting the ball thrown to him further downfield vs stills. Fullers big plays obviously are a huge benefit to the offense but when he’s out we don’t have a guy (not one we use anyways) that can take the top off the D and let hop/fells/stills work underneath. Also opens up our running game because teams can’t stack the box against us. I do hope we bring him back because he’s too good of a player to let go for nothing, but we definitely need to find a continency for him in the form of a speedster, if we’re not going to use stills, then someone else. If Marquez Stevenson from my coogs came out, he would’ve fit perfectly. Plays almost identical to fuller/Tyreek/Hollywood brown. And may be faster than all of them

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Fuller is like a nice Corvette sitting in your driveway. It looks good and occasionally when you take it out it's still fast and fulfilling. Just don't know when it will break down and have to go in the shop. Unfortunately next season the cost triple and the year after you lose control of the car. Now if I can rework 2020 for 4 years at $50 m with base at 5 m GTD each for first two season with production to increase to 12 m. The final two years anyway you want with zero $ GTD, I will sign. I probably would throw in signing bonus of couple million to give him 12 GTD and 7 in 2020. I like my Corvette but I need to have some sort of confidence I will get my full value from the shiny car.
Might've wanted to use Ferrari or Fiat's instead of Corvette's. Corvette's are much more trustworthy than the other two.