Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rumor: no Defensive coordinator under Lovie in 2022

As a general rule, I dislike the HC also being a coordinator. Just like I really disliked the HC also being a GM. A HC needs to be a HC.

But I'm giving Lovie all the slack in the world right now.

Whether they call the top assistant coach on offense or defense a coordinator, assistant head coach or a run/pass game coordinator its just a matter of title if they aren’t the one calling the plays.

Two new HCs in particular (O’Connell and Mike Mcdaniel) got HC jobs without being the playcaller when they were OC.

Lovie said in an interview after being hired that he has a specialty. And he regrets not taking over playcalling sooner in previous stops. Not many coaches get a 3rd chance to be an NFL HC much less a 4th. Lovie is gonna call his defense and he is pretty darn qualified to make that decision.

The Texans appear to like having people wearing multiple hats.

BTW, is RAC still involved with the Texans?

What I heard was that he was calling the defensive plays which is different than no DC at all. Did miss him exactly saying no Dc at all? (very possible distracted work listen)
You’re correct in that I never heard anything beyond LS would call the D plays. I’d be surprised if they don’t bring in or promote someone to be a DC asst. That would do nothing but help the cause IMO. Wait, maybe Caserio fills that gap. I mean after all he’ll be in Lovies ear……

You’re correct in that I never heard anything beyond LS would call the D plays. I’d be surprised if they don’t bring in or promote someone to be a DC asst. That would do nothing but help the cause IMO. Wait, maybe Caserio fills that gap. I mean after all he’ll be in Lovies ear……
They'll probably add an assistant LB coach & Miles will share DC responsibilities. If he does well, he'll be the DC in 2023.

This just provides cover in case Miles crash & burn.

I will bet Miles and RAC help Lovie. If they are successful then Miles will be promoted.

Where are all of the I wish we had a CEO type HC crowd?

As a general rule, I dislike the HC also being a coordinator. Just like I really disliked the HC also being a GM. A HC needs to be a HC.

But I'm giving Lovie all the slack in the world right now.
Combined HC with DC or OC roles though may not the ideal that's still acceptable IMO, as compared to combining HC & Gm roleswhich should be amajor taboo in the NFL and hopefully the Texans organization have learned that it should be a taboo.

If Lovie is calling the D, is he calling the O too? I don't mind a good defensive coach calling plays. However, as a HC you have to split time between the two. What I'm thinking is no official DC, but someone is going to install the D from week to week with Lovie helping and then I assume radio plays to Lovie. Not sure if I like the idea seeing it seems to pull Lovie away from offense. Unless we have an OC that is top notch. Once Lovie gives him a basic plan they can make it work and then call the game too

Full coaching staff

Back