Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rules questions

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Let's say the Texans try a 2-point conversion after a TD. It apparently succeeds, but then a splash of yellow shows up on the grass. Offensive holding. The penalty convinces the Texans to change their minds and kick the point. Can they do that? If so, from what spot is the yardage stepped off?

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Let's say the Texans try a 2-point conversion after a TD. It apparently succeeds, but then a splash of yellow shows up on the grass. Offensive holding. The penalty convinces the Texans to change their minds and kick the point. Can they do that? If so, from what spot is the yardage stepped off?
Yes. The ten yard penalty would be enforced at either the 2 of they got for 2 or the extra point spot. They can also elect to go for two if they kick the fg but there was a defensive penalty.

I think these answers are correct. Lol

Max

Veteran
Different rules question - why is this a free play?
offsides2.gif

But this isn't?
offsides.gif

I thought the play was supposed to be blown dead if the defender has a free shot at the qb? The plays were identical in terms of defenders having that free shot -- none existed in both cases. This needs to be called more consistently. Who knows what would have happened if we got the free play - the series ended in an interception.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I thought the play was supposed to be blown dead if the defender has a free shot at the qb?
The ref said unabated to the QB. Don't know why as that wasn't the case. But since the defender made contact with our guy, it's encroachment & play is to be stopped.

In the first gif, we didn't touch an offensive player, so it was offsides & the play continues.

Scooter

Funky
While they do look very similar in the videos, it's kind of an immediate judgement call - the following is attempting to rationalize the line judge in a fraction of a second differentiating "Okay and Oshit". First was deemed a jump that could be defended or called if needed, Mercilus is 1 yard in at the LT. Second was 'unabated to the quarterback' if I remember correctly which was called quickly with how far the defender was before the line moved, 2 yards this time and outside of the tackle. Both stopping is what makes the plays look similar.

I think the call vs Watson was premature and should've been allowed to continue for at least another beat, but I can see why they were ruled that way - because quarterbacks are special flowers. Had Mercilus continued forward the play most likely would've been blown dead as well.

Last edited:

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
While they do look very similar in the videos, it's kind of an immediate judgement call - the following is attempting to rationalize the line judge in a fraction of a second differentiating "Okay and Oshit". First was deemed a jump that could be defended or called if needed, Mercilus is 1 yard in at the LT. Second was 'unabated to the quarterback' if I remember correctly which was called quickly with how far the defender was before the line moved, 2 yards this time and outside of the tackle. Both stopping is what makes the plays look similar.

I think the call vs Watson was premature and should've been allowed to continue for at least another beat, but I can see why they were ruled that way - because quarterbacks are special flowers. Had Mercilus continued forward the play most likely would've been blown dead as well.
I think most anyone who isn't a homer for one of the teams involved would understand that, while reasonably questionable, it's ultimately a pretty tough 'bang-bang' call.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

So the moral of the story is if you are going to jump offsides anyway then keep rolling so that the play will die.

Scooter

Funky
So the moral of the story is if you are going to jump offsides anyway then keep rolling so that the play will die.
Kinda. The moral is, if you put a foot forward and can get it back - get back. If you jumped, own it and kill the play*. Easier said than done when that decision needs to made in tenths of a second. The natural tenancy is to correct a mistake, which is why both linebackers stopped.

*5 free yards is a bad thing, but a blip on the radar in the grand scheme. Giving the opponent a free shot because you jumped and then froze ... can affect the grand scheme dramatically.

Last edited: