Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Route Concepts

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I'm watching the Patriots vs Saints game just to look at the Patriots' routes versus the Texans route concepts.

On their opening drive and touchdown, I saw a couple of plays we have been begging to see. Taking a speedy RB and using the formation to isolate him on a slower LB.

On their second TD, from the shotgun 4-5 combination routes to get a streaking TE down the field.

If we are running an offense similar to the Patriots, either we didn't get the full playbook or we are working from the wrong section.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
On their second TD, from the shotgun 4-5 combination routes to get a streaking TE down the field.
Most everything has been lateral today. That TD by Gronk was maybe a 5 yard pass that he turned up. He ran all the way across the field. Brady had linemen in his lap.

There was one play where they had two fakes behind the line to set up a screen to Burkehead for a 15 yard gain.

If we are running an offense similar to the Patriots, either we didn't get the full playbook or we are working from the wrong section.
I really think the only thing Billy took from NE is the terminology. We're running George O'Learys offense.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Whatever the Texans are doing doesn't look nearly as smooth as what the Pats do.

There's probably lots of reasons from that from personnel to coaching.

That little fake bubble screen they just ran was beautiful.

Big Lou

Hall of Fame
Whatever the Texans are doing doesn't look nearly as smooth as what the Pats do.

There's probably lots of reasons from that from personnel to coaching.

That little fake bubble screen they just ran was beautiful.

Screen, what is a screen????

Just kidding, but not sure BOB knows what that is. Would be a great dale as the opposing team probably thinks every pass is a screen with how quickly they get to the Texans QB.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Josh McDaniels is the real guru. His system is clean and we'll timed. He utilizes every single possible route combination. It's why they don't need stud WRs, they all get open. Shallow drags, rubs, misdirection. Doesn't hurt to have the GOAT back there either. All of the exotic passing packages ultimately open up the running lanes and they are smart enough to not run the same dive play 20 times a game. It's all about creativity and continually adjusting and modifying the system to account for internal control points or the pedigree of the opponents. This NE dynasty will probably be the best that most of us will ever see.

Obriens offense is pathetic. The antithesis of what the Patriots do actually and I've never thought that the two systems were even remotely similar.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Josh McDaniels is the real guru. His system is clean and we'll timed. He utilizes every single possible route combination. It's why they don't need stud WRs, they all get open. Shallow drags, rubs, misdirection. Doesn't hurt to have the GOAT back there either. All of the exotic passing packages ultimately open up the running lanes and they are smart enough to not run the same dive play 20 times a game. It's all about creativity and continually adjusting and modifying the system to account for internal control points or the pedigree of the opponents. This NE dynasty will probably be the best that most of us will ever see.

Obriens offense is pathetic. The antithesis of what the Patriots do actually and I've never thought that the two systems were even remotely similar.
Hey, at least he gets the brand name.
:brando:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Our WR's have shown they can't get separation consistently on those 1 on 1 routes on the outside. So all i want to see is more crossing routes...that's all i want.

edromeo

Rookie
Patriots use more combo routes.. 'rub'.....pick plays then any team I can remember.

Brady and Bill help Josh McDaniels make the game plan, heck they might tell McDaniels the game plan.

And they have a heck of a lot more talent.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Laughing at route concepts. What is that?
Since I started this, I'll answer.

Every offense at every level has basic routes. Hooks, slants, posts, fly/go, fade, in, out, etc. While watching the Patriots and Saints offenses, I was enjoying how each team schemed wide open WRs by using combination routes, motion, pick plays.

So for me, I typed route concepts, but I could have easily typed passing game concepts. Other people knew what I meant. The point was the significant difference in how the Texans and Patriots WRs run their routes. How the Saints and Patriots stresses a defense vertically and horizontally.

If you have Game Pass, I recommend watching that game. It makes watching the Texans" offense seem like watching paint dry.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Since I started this, I'll answer.

Every offense at every level has basic routes. Hooks, slants, posts, fly/go, fade, in, out, etc. While watching the Patriots and Saints offenses, I was enjoying how each team schemed wide open WRs by using combination routes, motion, pick plays.

So for me, I typed route concepts, but I could have easily typed passing game concepts. Other people knew what I meant. The point was the significant difference in how the Texans and Patriots WRs run their routes. How the Saints and Patriots stresses a defense vertically and horizontally.

If you have Game Pass, I recommend watching that game. It makes watching the Texans" offense seem like watching paint dry.
Earl thanks for the explanation but I was being sarcastic because it doesn't seem like we have any. We barely even see receivers getting wide open like the Patriots and Saints. This has been going on since Bill O'Brien became our HC. In Kubiak's system we always seen these well designed route concepts.

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
He was a HC almost 10 years ago... Possible that he may have learned from his mistakes.
Perhaps, or maybe he went back under the Belichick coaching umbrella and now looks smart again.

Edit: He has only had sucess under belichick, failed in Denver as the HC, Rams went 2-14 in 2011 with him as the OC...

The Rams' offense was among the worst in the league in 2011. They scored only 193 points (12.1 points per game), last in the league, and 11th-fewest all-time for a 16-game season. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_St._Louis_Rams_season)

Do we really take a flyer on someone who's only success has been with a GOAT QB and HOF head coach?

Last edited:

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Perhaps, or maybe he went back under the Belichick coaching umbrella and now looks smart again.

Edit: He has only had sucess under belichick, failed in Denver as the HC, Rams went 2-14 in 2011 with him as the OC...

The Rams' offense was among the worst in the league in 2011. They scored only 193 points (12.1 points per game), last in the league, and 11th-fewest all-time for a 16-game season. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_St._Louis_Rams_season)

Do we really take a flyer on someone who's only success has been with a GOAT QB and HOF head coach?
The Pats have never won a super bowl without McDaniels. The guy is the innovator behind their offense and has proven over time that he is innovative enough to create offensive schemes that fit his players. Not to mention he was 33 when he had his first HC job and plenty of people fail the first time. He lasted all of 1 and half seasons as HC then was fired. I think he will be much better equipped the next go round. You could have McDaniels come in as HC with Welker as WR coach being groomed to be OC someday and Vrabel and RAC could continue on in their current roles.

To me, the real question is on who should be our new GM.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

The Pats have never won a super bowl without McDaniels. The guy is the innovator behind their offense and has proven over time that he is innovative enough to create offensive schemes that fit his players. Not to mention he was 33 when he had his first HC job and plenty of people fail the first time. He lasted all of 1 and half seasons as HC then was fired. I think he will be much better equipped the next go round. You could have McDaniels come in as HC with Welker as WR coach being groomed to be OC someday and Vrabel and RAC could continue on in their current roles.

To me, the real question is on who should be our new GM.
Good points, both of you.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Here is some info on McDaniels regarding his offense as HC in Denver

During McDaniels’ first season in Denver, QB Kyle Orton set career highs for pass attempts, completions, passing yards, touchdown passes, and passer rating while tying his career low for interceptions. Orton’s 3,802 yards were the sixth-highest for a season in Broncos history. In 2010, the Broncos ranked seventh in the NFL in passing yards per game and finished 13th in total yards per game. WR Brandon Lloyd led the NFL in receiving yards with 1,448 and finished second in the AFC with 11 touchdown catches en route to his first Pro Bowl invitation.

And with McDaniels as the QB coach in 2008 when Brady went down with his knee injury

After Brady suffered a season-ending knee injury in the 2008 regular-season opener, another McDaniels protégé, Matt Cassel, led the club to a 10-5 record as a starter. In his first season as an NFL starter, Cassel posted the fourth-best completion percentage in Patriots history (63.4) while passing for 3,693 yards with 21 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.
Not to mention he put together an incredible coaching staff around him in Denver, BUT his ability (or lack of) of meshing with players and running a team were poor. He alienated players right from the jump (Cutler) and was forced to settle for Orton when he couldn't get Cassel. Regardless, he still had the offense rolling before the wheels came off. I think you would have to pair him with a GM he knows extremely well, like Nick Caserio. They know each other extremely well and Nick would know exactly what Josh would want on offense in terms of players. You would have to get BOTH IMO to make it work.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Earl thanks for the explanation but I was being sarcastic because it doesn't seem like we have any. We barely even see receivers getting wide open like the Patriots and Saints. This has been going on since Bill O'Brien became our HC. In Kubiak's system we always seen these well designed route concepts.
Discussing our offense is sucking the humor right out of me. I totally missed the sarcasm.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Discussing our offense is sucking the humor right out of me. I totally missed the sarcasm.

Trust me I understand. Shoots talking about this entire team is becoming stressful. You have an incompetent front office. A stubborn head coach who really thinks his offensive philosophy is golden. Now we have the main leader holding out until week 7. Knowing darn well we need him desperately on that offensively line and in the locker room.