Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Round 5 comments

Washington just got McCune...I was hoping we'd take a look at him, but I guess we reached our "over 25" quota with the Morency pick...

ok fellas I like this pick. I need something more though cass. dont let Shazor, Brimmer, or Hawthorne get away. Kemeaotu is still out there to. We have alot of options right now. did you all know C.J. Moseley is pretty fast for a big guy too. Let's go cass make us forget about that first day.

Hey I forgot Brandon Browner ealier. He is a nice FS if we want to groom him to eventually replace Marcus Coleman. We have more pressing needs but something to think about.

Ok, I'm still waiting to see the D-line bulked up. Not in size, but general talent and depth. I'm ok with the center but I really though we needed more attention overall on D initially then on to offense. But that's why I'm not a G-manager I guess.

Im not really likeing the C pick... In his profile it says he is weak, and his pass blocking isnt very good. Says he gets pushed back by defenders using the bull rush... Thats with college DTs... Think about what is gonna happen in the pros. Sounds like another Mckennie... I guess we will just have to wait a year or 2 and see how much he improves.

ASU CAREER: Team leader and three-year starter who anchored the ASU offensive line at center...can also play right guard...played in 45 career games with 34 starts...was one of two players on the team in 2004 to have already earned his undergraduate degree...was recognized as the Hard Hat Champion in each of his last two seasons for his dedication and hard work in the weight room...ASU ranked in the top 20 in the nation in passing offense (ninth in 2002, 20th in 2003 and fifth in 2004) in each of his last three seasons...the Sun Devils also turned in the top three single-season passing efforts in school history in each of Hodgdon's last three years.

2004: Earned honorable-mention All-Pac-10 honors...also won the Sun Devil Iron Man Award and the Cecil Abono Co-Captain Award at ASU's season-end banquet...played in nine games, starting the last eight at center...suffered a broken foot at Camp Tontozona in August and battled back from the injury to play in the last nine games...was the lone senior on ASU's young offensive line...has a great relationship with quarterback Andrew Walter...the Sun Devils led the Pac-10 and finished fifth in the country in passing offense (school-record 317.3 yards per game)...ASU was also third in the league and 16th in the country in total offense (435.4 ypg).

2003: Started all 12 games at center...anchored an offensive line that ranked third in the Pac-10 in sacks allowed (24)...recorded one tackle Sept. 20 at Iowa.

2002: Had a breakout year...started all 14 games at right guard...earned honorable-mention All-Pac-10 honors...was named the Sun Devils' most valuable offensive lineman.

2001: Played in 10 games...performed very well when called upon.

2000:> Redshirted.

HIGH SCHOOL: A 2000 graduate of Palo Alto (Calif.) High School...listed as the No. 42 player in the Farwest by SuperPrep Magazine...a member of the Tacoma News Tribune's "Western 100" listing...an All-Western Region pick by PrepStar Magazine...earned first-team All-SCVAL League honors in 1998 and 1999... was the Most Valuable Player of the offensive line in the league in 1999...was the Most Valuable Player of the wrestling team in 1997 and 1999 and was second-team all-CCS in 1999...was the Macy Scholar-Athlete...won the Palo Alto Athletic Award and MVP for linemen for Palo Alto...had one interception for 17 yards and 17 quarterback sacks in 1997...from 1997 until 1998 was 63-1 in wrestling...was the California heavyweight Capitol City weightlifting champion...great student...lettered three times in football, twice in wrestling and once in track and field...captained the football team in 1999 and the wrestling team in 1998.

PERSONAL: Earned his bachelor's degree in interdisciplinary studies (justice studies and sociology)

Sounds like he's not real big, but fairly athletic. A Denver type OL - we're using their zone blocking scheme so maybe that explains it. Played guard
to so atleast a versative reserve which is what you usually get (at most) with a late rounder like this.
From the SF Bay Area - no problem, we'll make a Republican out of him before
we're done with here in Houston.
rounder.

I beleive that PFW also had Ciatrik Fason listed as the 4th franchise RB in the draft... likely to go in the late first.

Besides.. Olinemen are hard to grade. Many starting Olinemen in this league were 7th rounders and undrafted FAs.

Davis37 said:
Im not really likeing the C pick... In his profile it says he is weak, and his pass blocking isnt very good. Says he gets pushed back by defenders using the bull rush... Thats with college DTs... Think about what is gonna happen in the pros. Sounds like another Mckennie... I guess we will just have to wait a year or 2 and see how much he improves.

That's true, he does sound a lot like McKinney, but hopefully with a year in our training program, he'll add enough strngth to be able to hold his own against a Stroud or Henderson...

Davis37 said:

it sounds like he has the intelligence to play the position, which is something you can't teach...
He can always get stronger if he's willing to put in the reps. Plus, he sounds like a pretty high character, blue collar type who will be very coachable...

USMC_dude said:
Ok, I'm still waiting to see the D-line bulked up. Not in size, but general talent and depth. I'm ok with the center but I really though we needed more attention overall on D initially then on to offense. But that's why I'm not a G-manager I guess.

We traded for Buchanan and then drafted Travis Johnson in the first...I think that is addressing the defense first. We needed insurance for DD and although I dont think we needed it in the 3rd Morency provides pretty good value at that pick. Mathis pick is brillant :thumbup :woot :thumbup and we needed to get a center (McKinny is the weakest link on O-Line) now maybe another big O-line, D-Line guy and hopefuly Browner at saftey and it's been a good draft.

that profile is full of hypocritical remarks.

Positives: Has some snap in his hips along with good body control, balance and good feet … Shows good initial quickness in the drive block and stays after the defender … Can combo block, reach and cutoff in space … Stays on his feet well, displaying good lateral movement and the ability to adjust on the move … Can pull and log block, showing good knee bend in his pass protection … Can anchor fairly well and shows a good mirror ability to pick up twists and blitzes … Hard worker with a very competitive nature … Has quick feet and the upper body strength to hold firmly vs. the stunts and bull rush … Possesses large hands, showing proper usage of them to get underneath an opponent's jersey … Has great straight-ahead explosiveness and the fluid hip movements to get out to the flats … Type of player that must rely on his quickness to compensate for a lack of ideal bulk (best when playing at the 305-pound range) … Good knee bender who gets decent space movement … On drive blocks, he is not the type who will knock people off the ball, as he is more of a position-and-turn type who excels at getting on and cutting off linebackers … Has enough foot speed and body control to pull and lead on sweeps.

Negatives: Little too light in his lower frame, failing to generate a power drive to anchor vs. a strong bull rush … Smooth in his pass set and slide, but a poor hand punch results in some defenders slipping off his initial hit … His pass set is okay, but his punch and use of hands could be better … Needs to add more bulk and experiments with that in the past robbed him of his quickness and agility … Lacks lateral agility … Needs to improve the bulk content and power of his legs, as he can be driven back due to poor foot plant structure … Has some knee bend, but looks very uncomfortable shuffling back in pass protection … Arms are shorter than ideal, limiting him to an interior blocking assignment … Won't deliver that forceful punch to rock defenders back and needs to get better separation after delivering the initial hit.

Just for ----- and giggles, I went and looked up the size of some other centers in the league.

Kevin Mawae - 6'4" 289
Kurt Sigler - 6'4" 306
Casey Rabach - 6'4" 301
Tom Nalen - 6'3" 286
Steve McKinney - 6'4" 302
Seth McKinney - 6'3" 305

Daniel Hodgdon - 6'3" 309

So where they are getting this "lacks size" thing.. I have no idea. If anything.. he may need to drop some pounds and just build up some lower body strength.

canadiantexan said:
We traded for Buchanan and then drafted Travis Johnson in the first...I think that is addressing the defense first. We needed insurance for DD and although I dont think we needed it in the 3rd Morency provides pretty good value at that pick. Mathis pick is brillant :thumbup :woot :thumbup and we needed to get a center (McKinny is the weakest link on O-Line) now maybe another big O-line, D-Line guy and hopefuly Browner at saftey and it's been a good draft.

Ok, I concede that point partially. I love the Buchannon trade, but again, I don't think that was our defensive weakness. Is it a good thing? of course! But I wanted to see 2 picks to D-line then offense. So they had a different plan than me. They studied and I didn't so I am probably wrong. I'm just going off of my own "jeaniousness" and Mondaynight quarterback know it all power.

Tulip said:
Let's try this route -

Scouts Inc. - Hodgdon is ranked 305th with a rating of 36.

Where does Scouts, Inc. have Rob Hunt, C Norht Dakota St? Seeing as teh COlts just drafted him.

At this point in rounds 5 and on, you're not looking for guys to step in right away and start. I think any number a scout gives is nuts. What matters is what our scouts gave the guy and whether he'll be able to play in our particular system, and especially in a zone blocking scheme, with an aging center, I think we made a solid pick regardless of what Scouts Inc or any of these other "experts" say. I'm sure DD was rated around 100 when he was drafted... I trust Casserly, Capers, and the scouts, that they made the right selection.

Ill tell ya the best way to check someones value.

According to the guys that do this for a living, he is ranked 151st in the 2005 Draft.

The intangibles are more important when selecting Olineman, than what they did in college.

Any big 6'3-7" guy that can bulk up to 300+ pounds will do.. so long as they have the inherent skills to play the position.

That is why so many good linemen come from the 7th and beyond.

He can always get stronger if he's willing to put in the reps. Plus, he sounds like a pretty high character, blue collar type who will be very coachable...

from his draft profile

"unquestioned team leader who anchored the Arizona State offensive line at center, but also proved that he was capable of playing guard...He was recognized as the Hard Hat Champion in each of his last two seasons for his dedication and hard work in the weight room..."

i was thinking at 309 his size would be a big upgrade over mckinney, but checking steve's bio i found he weighs in at 305 (instead of the 290 i had thought prior). even though he was drafted as a center, notice the bolded text and realize that could factor in CC passing up on players available like wilkerson...

Grid said:
Ill tell ya the best way to check someones value.

According to the guys that do this for a living, he is ranked 151st in the 2005 Draft.

No real need for these draft commentary threads, then - is there?

nope.. guess we should all just shutup :P.

Its for you to give your opinion.. if your opinion is that it was a bad pick.. fine, go ahead and say so. But dont get mad when people disagree with you and refute your "evidence".

You have scouting sites that ranked im at 305. The Texans FO ranked him at 151 :P.. ill take the Texans opinion :P

Best players still available:

Brandon Browner CB/FS Oregon State
Michael Munoz OT Tennessee
Steve Savoy WR Utah
Ben Wilkerson C LSU
Anttaj Hawthorne DT Wisconsin
C.J. Mosley DT Missouri
Pete McMahon OT Iowa
Ernest Shazor SS Michigan
Garrett Cross TE California
Jovan Haynes DE Vanderbilt
Bill Swancutt DE Oregon State

Grid said:
But dont get mad when people disagree with you and refute your "evidence".

I'm not mad at all. I just thought I'd offer what I had on the guy because people around here didn't seem to know much about him. Which isn't unusual in the 5th round. I didn't know anything about him either. Since I don't spend my career evaluating NFL talent, I have to rely on the experts.

Of course, the Texans have never made questionable draft picks. :rolleyes:

It would take too long to explain to an outsider CaptainPatriot. And im tired of writing it out :P..

Suffice to say. The stats are misleading, and our oline is pretty much set.

CaptainPatriot said:
ok someone explain to me how Carr was sacked more than any QB last yr.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/playersort/NFL/QB-PASSING/2004/regular?&_1:col_1=13
and the Texans go and draft a RB and WR then draft a backup C? :thud: :
So I guess we should see Carr with happy feet again this yr :confused:

They're hoping that keeping the line the same this year will help them get better. They view consistency as the most important key to the o-line's improvement. With the new scheme introduced last year, I tend to agree that they need another year with the same players in the new scheme.

Hawthorne is gone, but shazor is still there and would be quality pick here in the 6th, he might really push Earl to do good, and like it or not, it could end up being a platoon between him and Earl. Or maybe Coleman's successor. Shazor is a bargain pick for 6th round, need to find a way to get him. If he's gone i seriously think they could go wr again and take savoy, or maybe Jovan Hayes or CJ Mosley

My Prediction for 6th- Jovan Hayes,CJ Mosley,Ernest Shazor, Steve Savoy, watch for maybe some other o-line.

with the news on Glenn.. wouldnt be surprised to see Browner either.

Im hoping for CJ Mosley or Anthony Bryant personally. more youth for the Dline.

Grid said:
It would take too long to explain to an outsider CaptainPatriot. And im tired of writing it out :P..

Suffice to say. The stats are misleading, and our oline is pretty much set.

I`m not an ousider. I live in Houston. I follow the Texans. How are sack stats misleading? Also the Texans were last in sacks on D

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-PASSING/2004/regular?sort_col_1=8&_1:col_1=11

They needed to address the D-Line more than just 1 DL. No pressure on the QB makes a long day on DB`s. They needed to address the D-Line more than anything and they didn`t do it. :confused: Maybe they can still do it with FA?

Weren't we supposed to get Kansas City's 7th round for the punter Cheek or was that a conditional pick and they did not get one, so we did not get one?

drew7tt.jpg

Here's our 5th Round pick

Back