Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Roster Projection

bah007

Hall of Fame
The gameday roster grows by two spots this season. My best guess as to what our top 55 is looking like after the draft. I am not placing any UDFAs on the roster at this point. I think this year will be even tougher than most for one of those guys to make the team. If forced to choose the guy with the best chance at this point I would choose Scottie Phillips. But, I also think RB is the easiest place to add a veteran down the road. There are a few teams who are deep enough that they will be forced to cut a back who would be one of our best four.

QB - Deshaun Watson, A.J. McCarron
RB - David Johnson, Duke Johnson, Buddy Howell, Karan Higdon
FB - Cullen Gillaspia
WR - Will Fuller, Brandin Cooks, Randall Cobb, Kenny Stills, Isaiah Coulter, DeAndre Carter
TE - Darren Fells, Jordan Akins, Jordan Thomas, Kahale Warring
OT - Laremy Tunsil, Tytus Howard, Roderick Johnson, Charlie Heck
OL - Max Scharping, Zach Fulton, Brent Qvale
C - Nick Martin, Greg Mancz

DE - J.J. Watt, Charles Omenihu
NT - Brandon Dunn, Eddie Vanderdoes
DT - Tim Jernigan, Ross Blacklock, Angelo Blackson
LEO - Whitney Mercilus, Jonathan Greenard, Brennan Scarlett, Jacob Martin
LB - Zach Cunningham, Benardrick McKinney, Dylan Cole, Peter Kalambayi, Tyrell Adams
CB - Bradley Roby, Gareon Conley, Phillip Gaines, Lonnie Johnson
SLOT - Vernon Hargreaves, John Reid
S - Justin Reid, Eric Murray, Jaylen Watkins, Michael Thomas

K - Ka'imi Fairbairn
P - Bryan Anger
LS - Jon Weeks

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The gameday roster grows by two spots this season. My best guess as to what our top 55 is looking like after the draft. I am not placing any UDFAs on the roster at this point. I think this year will be even tougher than most for one of those guys to make the team. If forced to choose the guy with the best chance at this point I would choose Scottie Phillips. But, I also think RB is the easiest place to add a veteran down the road. There are a few teams who are deep enough that they will be forced to cut a back who would be one of our best four.

FB - Cullen Gillaspia
WR - Will Fuller, Brandin Cooks, Randall Cobb, Kenny Stills, Isaiah Coulter, DeAndre Carter

LB - Zach Cunningham, Benardrick McKinney, Dylan Cole, Peter Kalambayi, Tyrell Adams

K - Ka'imi Fairbairn
P - Bryan Anger
LS - Jon Weeks
Exactly what I think is going to happen. Hopefully Phillips will shine and win one of the RB spots.

McClain said that they're looking at picking up a vet safety., so that could change. I've got no confidence in Carter as a KR/PR guy and hope a more reliable guy can be found after 53 man cuts are made. I could also see Coutee making the team as KR/PR guy. He was doing this last preseason.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah

FB - Cullen Gillaspia

K - Ka'imi Fairbairn
P - Bryan Anger
LS - Jon Weeks
I am so uncomfortable with the bolded. I hope we find another safety to add to the mix.

dream_team

Hall of Fame

FB - Cullen Gillaspia

K - Ka'imi Fairbairn
P - Bryan Anger
LS - Jon Weeks
So for your "somewhat" surprise cuts:
  • Keke Coutee
    • I don't remember the last time a guy fell so fast. He went from the best slot receiver in Texans history, to an absolute dud that should be cut. I'd rather keep Keke over Carter, but I'm pretty sure BOB thinks differently.
  • Keion Crossen
    • BOB tends to pick the better STer, rather than the better 6th corner. I see him making the team over Gaines.
  • Duke Ejiofor
    • For a team that needs pass rushers, a surprise cut. You don't believe in his health? I would have kept him over Tyrell Adams.
  • Senio Kelemete
    • The only surprise here is why hasn't he been cut yet? Since he's still on the roster, something tells me BOB likes him. He has that versatility BOB loves.
  • Carlos Watkins
    • I'd prefer to go with Watkins over Vanderdoes

281Texan

Waterboy
So for your "somewhat" surprise cuts:
  • Keke Coutee
    • I don't remember the last time a guy fell so fast. He went from the best slot receiver in Texans history, to an absolute dud that should be cut. I'd rather keep Keke over Carter, but I'm pretty sure BOB thinks differently.
  • Keion Crossen
    • BOB tends to pick the better STer, rather than the better 6th corner. I see him making the team over Gaines.
  • Duke Ejiofor
    • For a team that needs pass rushers, a surprise cut. You don't believe in his health? I would have kept him over Tyrell Adams.
  • Senio Kelemete
    • The only surprise here is why hasn't he been cut yet? Since he's still on the roster, something tells me BOB likes him. He has that versatility BOB loves.
  • Carlos Watkins
    • I'd prefer to go with Watkins over Vanderdoes
I also wholeheartedly believe that Duke makes the roster. I don't see Kelemente making it, and I don't see Carter making it either.

RGV82

Random guy
That's usually the case. And I'm positive the Texans will have to find one this preseason.
Carlos Hyde and Lamar Miller are looking for work. Lol. Highly unlikely either come back but gotta love the irony.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Ejiofor didn’t even play last year and will be coming off an Achilles. I don’t trust explosion athletes (football) coming off that injury.
Don't forget that in college, he underwent shoulder labrum surgery for repeated shoulder dislocations. Despite this, Nov 2018, he re-injured (dislocated) his shoulder and missed the next 4 games, and played sparingly in the last regular season game and the postseason game. Since the dislocation occurred after a repair, if it dislocates again in the future, he may well be looking at an additional shoulder repair.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
I don't see it …. they already have Martin & Mancz.

With the team moving on from Jernigan , I'd have to say the UDFA with the best shot at making the final roster now is Auzoyah Alufohai. You just cant teach size and they need help inside in the worst way.
Er, Martin and Mancz are centers, right? Jan Johnson is a LB. I don't quite see the basis for comparison. Is it that they all have white skin?

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Er, Martin and Mancz are centers, right? Jan Johnson is a LB. I don't quite see the basis for comparison. Is it that they all have white skin?

Somehow I was thinking Johnson was a G/C.

Still think Auzoyah Alufohai has the best shot of the UDFA's to make the roster …. Losing Reader , moving on from Jernigan …. that position is a mess and they haven't given any indication they have a backup plan after Jernigan.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
You're the one that brought up skin color. What do you call it?
I was hunting for a similarity among Martin, Mancz, and Jan Johnson that could be a basis for another poster to consider them as a group.

Pharaohcious

Waterboy

FB - Cullen Gillaspia

K - Ka'imi Fairbairn
P - Bryan Anger
LS - Jon Weeks
no ross blacklock?

badboy

Hall of Fame
He's listed. I see him and Blackson along wirh Omenihu as our future starters sooner rather than later.