Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rosevelt Colvin Signed

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5817469.html

Free agent outside linebacker Rosevelt Colvin is going to visit the Texans on Wednesday.

Colvin, who is entering his 10th season and turns 31 in September, had four sacks in 10 starts for New England last season. He missed six starts because of a sprained foot but is healthy now.

The Texans are loaded with outside linebackers but none who have Colvin's credentials. Colvin, 6-3, 250, had 8 1/2 sacks in 2006, his last healthy season.

The Texans have been looking for an edge rusher to play opposite Mario Williams in passing situations. Colvin can play outside linebacker in a 4-3 or a 3-4. In the Patriots' 3-4 scheme, Colvin dropped down and rushed in passing situations.

Colvin said last week that the Cleveland Browns and New York Jets are among the teams showing interest in him.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Now this is interesting! If we can get this guy without threatening our cap health going forward, he would be a heck of a good risk. THis is exciting.

Let me add, McClain is an *****. He actually thinks we're getting him to play LB. Clearly, our interest in him is predominately as a situational pass rusher. Wow, when healthy, he can really make a difference for us. Also, he'd have a good shot at a healthy couple of years because we'd only need him for 20-25 plays a game. I'm officially excited!!

TexansLucky13

53d Signal Batt
Many of you know I love the Pats, and I would like this signing. That said, I wouldn't want him for much more than the veteran minimum.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Not a bad person to bring in imo.

He's old enough to be a good leader and good role model, but still has a bit of playing left in him. :)
I dont think he needs to come in to this team and try to be one of the leaders , rather he needs to simply fit in ..... he could be a role model for some but he should do that quietly ..... lead by example .

PHAROAH

Rookie
He will be a DE in Houston no way he plays linebacker here in H-town and he played DE at Purdue and with the Bears so he can do the job.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Capers and Casserly brought Colvin in for a free agent visit during the 2003 offseason. Colvin would have played OLB in the Texans 3-4. Eventually, Colvin signed with New England, saying that he wanted to play for a winner. He got his wish.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
If his injury problem is indeed resolved, he could be a valuable acquisition. The Pats are known for their frugality and since Colvin would have counted $7.6 million against the team’s salary cap in 2008, and the Pats save $5.5 million, that and not injury could have very likely played the greatest role in his release.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Now this is interesting! If we can get this guy without threatening our cap health going forward, he would be a heck of a good risk. THis is exciting.

Let me add, McClain is an *****. He actually thinks we're getting him to play LB. Clearly, our interest in him is predominately as a situational pass rusher. Wow, when healthy, he can really make a difference for us. Also, he'd have a good shot at a healthy couple of years because we'd only need him for 20-25 plays a game. I'm officially excited!!
FYI - I read the article over my Oatmeal this morning, and Megan Manfull wrote the article I'm almost positive.

I hope they can sign him. I do agree he is probably a situational 3rd down pass rushing end in our system, and if healthy, I think he could be a really good move for us, and help seal off the escape route on Mario's opposite side. Add in some push in the middle so the QB can't step up, and we could have a pretty damn good pass rush for the first time in our history.

EDIT - My fault. McClain wrote the piece on Colvin. She wrote the piece on Rick Smith's ext. Continue to McCain bash if it makes you feel better.

Fox

Rookie
He was one of my favorite players back when he was with da bears. Considering we're still searching for someone opposite Mario to consistently generate some heat in the pass rush, he'd be worth a look for the right price. Sounds as if he already has some interest from some other teams, hopefully that hasn't driven up his demands too high.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Colvin has experience playing OLB in 4-3 so it is not out of the question that he could do some work there, but given his recent injury history having him as a situational pass rusher is his most likely role.

Second Honeymoon

Hall of Fame

we have never been in cap trouble, dale. ever. we haven't used our franchise tag ever because we have never had to. i am not huge on this signing and I do think he would be signed as an OLB not a DE. He may be a situational DE pass rusher and get down in linemena position, but I dont think it will be that often.

people always think that signing players is going to put us in cap hell or somehow is going to screw our future. this is not the case. the only time you can put yourself in cap hell is when you sign/resign scrubs like Carr, Wade, and Weaver to huge money deals and they dont perform. Why not spend the extra money and get someone who can actually play and not some big puss like Carr or scrubs like Wade or Weaver.

I would rather them go after J.Taylor but I doubt therer is any chance of that happening..he dont want to come here.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
A couple other DEs I belive could become available over the summer are Arizona's Bertrand Berry and Jacksonville's Reggie Hayward. I say that because both teams made big investments in the draft at the DE position, as well as their respective salaries. I don't think either would come on the market until the draft choices are signed, and both teams may be looking for draft choices as compensation (rather than outright release).

Berry and Hayward make sense for the Texans because they have shown edge rushing ability, and they're former Broncos. Berry was one of Rick Smith's street free agent reclamation projects at Denver. Here's a look at the sack totals for each player, and Colvin, over their past 3 seasons.

Berry - 14.5 sacks in 27 games
Colvin - 19.5 sacks in 43 games
Hayward - 12 sacks in 28 games

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
If Colvin makes roster, who gets cut?
Hopefully Anthony Weaver, I don't know what the Texans see in him, he has one sack in his Texan career and is always knicked up.........even when he's fully healthy he's nothing special.

The Texans need to go ahead and clear him off the books........If I were them, I'd go ahead and cut him and find a replacement (and finding somebody to replace his production shouldn't be that hard, the guy isn't producing much).

badboy

Hall of Fame
Hopefully Anthony Weaver, I don't know what the Texans see in him, he has one sack in his Texan career and is always knicked up.........even when he's fully healthy he's nothing special.

The Texans need to go ahead and clear him off the books........If I were them, I'd go ahead and cut him and find a replacement (and finding somebody to replace his production shouldn't be that hard, the guy isn't producing much).
What about the huge hit to the cap?

DiehardChris

You betcha!
Yeah, we're not going to cut Weaver. I think he should get a handful of games to prove he can still hack it. I've seen Kubiak say that Weaver was fighting through injury last year, but now he's healthy. That's what they said about Mario in his rookie year, too - but who knows if it's also true about Weaver.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
Yeah, we're not going to cut Weaver. I think he should get a handful of games to prove he can still hack it. I've seen Kubiak say that Weaver was fighting through injury last year, but now he's healthy. That's what they said about Mario in his rookie year, too - but who knows if it's also true about Weaver.
I just don't think Weaver fits this system, he's more of a 3-4 end and the most sacks he ever had in a season was 5........which was 5 seasons ago. He also only has 3 sacks over his last 3 seasons, he never really proved he could hack it even before he was injured.........I'm just ready to move on, Houston needs to find a DE that atleast fits their system, not a undersized DT stuck out at the end position.

Big Lou

Hall of Fame
They can't afford to cut Weaver. If he can walk on to the field he'll be playing this year. I read somewhere that if we cut him on June 1st they would have faced a $3.8 million dollar cap hit.

We'd be back to dead cap money like for Todd Wade and Robaire Smith. Besides I think were still paying for Boselli!!!!!

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I couldn't find the exact link, but here is a copy of what I had printed out for my review awhile back. (I include it with credit in entirety for that reason):

Courting Colvin
March 8, 2003

By Carter Toole

HoustonTexans.com

Sure, Rosevelt Colvin is about to get a nice, fat raise. But considering his schedule the past week, here's hoping Colvin's agent has also invested in a frequent-flyer program for the former Bears linebacker.

"The traveling is wearing on me," Colvin said. "First I went to New York, then I went to Detroit. I flew to Arizona, then went back home for a day and then flew to Jacksonville before coming here."

Here is Houston, where Colvin is pretty sure he's wrapped up his whirlwind tour. He visited the Texans at Reliant Stadium Saturday, taking in the club's facilities and meeting with Texans head coach Dom Capers.

The Texans have plenty of company in trying to secure the services of Colvin, considered by many to be the top free agent on the market, regardless of position. Colvin has racked up 10 1/2 sacks in each of the past two seasons and has 26 sacks through his first four seasons.

Colvin is ferocious and consistent. He set a Bears record in 2002 by securing a sack in eight consecutive regular season games. And Colvin is the first Bears linebacker to crack the double-digit mark in sacks since Otis Wilson in 1985 -- the year Chicago won its lone Super Bowl.

Capers and his 3-4 defense have historically been a perfect fit for linebackers who like to crash the pocket.

"The 3-4 definitely suits who I am and what I can do," Colvin said. "I played defensive end in college and made the conversion to linebacker. But my heart is rushing the passer, I want to get to the passer all the time. The Texans feel like I can help them out."

Last season at this time, Texans linebacker Kailee Wong seemed destined for Cleveland. But Wong, who played defensive end at Stanford before converting to linebacker for the Vikings, relished the opportunity Capers offered him to become an off-the-edge pass rusher.

Colvin, who played defensive end at Purdue, also seems intrigued by the outside linebacker slot in the 3-4. And he already sees a solid defensive unit in place.

"I know they lost Jeff Posey as their right outside linebacker," Colvin said. "I would probably come in and try to fill that void. They have a lot of talent in place -- good corners, good safeties, the linebacker crew is already excellent and the three guys they've got in front of them are excellent, too.

"I don't think I'd be the answer here but just a piece of the puzzle."

Colvin saw his share of highs and lows in Chicago. The Bears went 13-3 in 2001 and won their first division title in 12 years. But they lost at home to Philadelphia in the divisional playoffs and then plummeted to 4-12 last season. Colvin is looking to latch onto a team that is on the rise and that he can help reach the summit.

"Being with the Bears for four years and going through my different experiences there, I just want an organization that wants me," Colvin said. "If I want to be in a city, I want the organization to want me there, too. I'm looking for a team that's going in the right direction. I want to win as many games as possible and ultimately win that Super Bowl."

What next? Colvin just wants to get and make a decision.

"All my visits have been good, I've enjoyed everyone I've met," he said. "As soon as I'm able to sit down with my agent and figure out what the best situation is for me. I want to weigh my options and make sure where I'm going is where I want to be."

The Texans also entertained former Titans offensive lineman Aaron Graham Saturday. Graham handled Tennessee's long-snapping duties last season, a role he also served in Oakland in 2001. Graham started 41 games over his first three seasons

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
I just don't think Weaver fits this system, he's more of a 3-4 end and the most sacks he ever had in a season was 5........which was 5 seasons ago. He also only has 3 sacks over his last 3 seasons, he never really proved he could hack it even before he was injured.........I'm just ready to move on, Houston needs to find a DE that atleast fits their system, not a undersized DT stuck out at the end position.
Weaver fits the system perfectly at DE if it's 3rd down and one or even on 1st and 10... All we need is a guy to relieve him on 3rd and 8 or 2nd and 15. IF Weaver was gone, we'd have Cochran starting. In that case, we'd still be looking for the situational speed rusher.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
Weaver fits the system perfectly at DE if it's 3rd down and one or even on 1st and 10... All we need is a guy to relieve him on 3rd and 8 or 2nd and 15. IF Weaver was gone, we'd have Cochran starting. In that case, we'd still be looking for the situational speed rusher.
Anthony Weaver is not really a 4-3 end, he doesn't fit this system perfectly...

I don't really care who starts (BTW, for the amount of snaps Cochran played......he produced a hellava lot more than Anthony Weaver) I just want the Texans to start looking for that other guy, a prototypical 4-3 end to compliment Mario, that is all......I don't like Anthony Weaver.

Specnatz

Hall of Fame
Anthony Weaver is not really a 4-3 end, he doesn't fit this system perfectly...

I don't really care who starts (BTW, for the amount of snaps Cochran played......he produced a hellava lot more than Anthony Weaver) I just want the Texans to start looking for that other guy, a prototypical 4-3 end to compliment Mario, that is all......I don't like Anthony Weaver.
The team is looking, if they weren't they would not bring in a guy like Colvin.

badboy

Hall of Fame
My crystal ball says Cochran will be the starter with Weaver on bench despite his salary.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
I was wondering if he would provide another pass rusher to go against in practice for Duane Brown. A veteran pass rusher could help in that department as well as helping hone Mario's skills would make him an even better acquisition.

Nawzer

Alienz
I think Colvin will definitely be an upgrade if we can sign him. If I remember correctly he was considered an elite level outside linebacker when he was with the Bears. His move to the Patriots was plagued with injuries but he produced whenever he was on the field for them. I don't think he's a fulltime player anymore but if we can get him 15-20 plays a game and to get him to rush the qb I think it will be a good investment.

DiehardChris

You betcha!
Season...........Total games played

I'd hardly consider him injury 'plagued'. He was fine for three years until last season's foot injury. These are Rotoworld's stats, so I assume they're accurate.

P

Polo

Folks are being too hard on Weaver...He's not a bad ball player...

He's just not what we need opposite Mario...

I expect Weaver to have a better season now that he's healthy...

NBT

Waterboy
I don't think we pay Colvin 5.5M with that bad wheel. If he would come in for an incentive laden contract, he might be a suspect, but I doubt if he wants to play for the Texans. If Berry becomes available, I would rather we go after him.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
It seems SmithGM has recruited him before. :thinking:

(on if he and Colvin talked about both playing for Purdue) “You know, I recruited Roosevelt Colvin out of high school. He was at Broad Ripple High School in Indianapolis and I was at Purdue at the time and I was successful in convincing him to come to Purdue. And he had a pretty good career.”

(on if the same tactics will work with the Texans) “We don’t pay as much!”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4355

DiehardChris

You betcha!
According to 610, he has taken a physical with the Texans today... so at least we know we're not totally out of the running.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Rotoworld reports that he passed a physical with the Colts last month (late May?)

I'm iffy about this one.
Unless he signs an incentive-laden contract, I'd rather the Texans look at other options.

Specnatz

Hall of Fame
Rotoworld reports that he passed a physical with the Colts last month (late May?)

I'm iffy about this one.
Unless he signs an incentive-laden contract, I'd rather the Texans look at other options.
And what would those options be? Not being sarcastic, but it does not look like there is much out there.

DiehardChris

You betcha!
Yeah, like I said - it just means we're not out of the running. He could have showed up, not liked what he heard, and just walked out without the physical.

Or, hell, I don't know - maybe the first thing they do upon a visit is a physical.

But anyway, yeah - I'm with you. You just can't pay too much for this guy... but if the price is right, I like it a lot.

DiehardChris

You betcha!
Yeah - if joining the best team was his #1 interest, he would have signed with the Colts last month, assuming they made him an offer.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
Yeah, like I said - it just means we're not out of the running. He could have showed up, not liked what he heard, and just walked out without the physical.

Or, hell, I don't know - maybe the first thing they do upon a visit is a physical.

But anyway, yeah - I'm with you. You just can't pay too much for this guy... but if the price is right, I like it a lot.
He didn't say why, but on this morning's show, LZ made the comment that he felt like the signing of Colvin by the Texans was going to happen.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I guess we don't have a whole lot of options.

But would the Seahawks take Boulware back for Babin?

Or we can follow the situation in Jacksonville, with those two new DEs they drafted, perhaps Hayward or Spicer might become available.

And I just happen to see the Denver's roster with 11 DE on it???
Anybody know much about them?

TEXANRED

Texan-American
*cough* Sam Cowart *cough*
Colvin is not Sam Cowart.

Cowarts best years were over three years before joining the Texans. There is still a decent amount of gas in that tank.

Not to mention Colvin would bring with him an expectation of winning, playing for a great Bears D and then skipping on over to play for a great Pats D. For Colvin winning is the norm and not the exception. So saying that, I doubt he signs. And that is not to say the Texans are going to suck again, just the perception of our organization for the past six years.

IlliniJen

Hall of Fame
What do y'all think about this guy's leadership ability or his attitude about how to win?

I'm not saying we lack either on D (or the team in general, I think we have all the right "intangible" pieces in place in this regard), but stuff like this can put a team over the top.

I want a NASTY defense. Is Colvin going to bring more of that to our team?

The age is a bit of an issue IMHO, but as a short-term solution, not a bad addition if we can sign him.

PHAROAH

Rookie
Man a 2 year deal would be nice with him as the weakside pass rusher like Robert Mathis for the colts with that quick first step coming off the edge opposite Mario would be awesome.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
The defense we field this year has the ability to be a monster. MW seems to get "IT" now and AO, TJ and AW seem to have a fire lit under them(at least in OTA's) and I think our LB crew could be a definite strength all the way through. IMO. Colvin would be a GREAT asset if used properly in passing situations. AW has made comments about liking to move inside in those situations http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4352, so this could be a win-win IF Colvin will sign for the right money. If not, have a great rest of your career, hopefully in the NFC.

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
The defense we field this year has the ability to be a monster. MW seems to get "IT" now and AO, TJ and AW seem to have a fire lit under them(at least in OTA's) and I think our LB crew could be a definite strength all the way through. IMO. Colvin would be a GREAT asset if used properly in passing situations. AW has made comments about liking to move inside in those situations http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4352, so this could be a win-win IF Colvin will sign for the right money. If not, have a great rest of your career, hopefully in the NFC.
But then we still have Richard Smith :(