Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Rosenfels: Anyone impressed?

A very good QB would have put up 30+ points on that team under those circumstances. Four turnovers led to a whopping 6 points. The offense stunk under both QB's when you get right down to it, so I will give him that, and do realize it's not one man only.

The word for today is: Contradiction.

The only way we will know which of the 2 QB's on the roster is better is for both to play a full game.
One whole game? That will give the staff enough information to determine who is the better QB? Okay.

Owen Daniels, I think.

If they know Carr can't play or are very concerned about the injury they'll probably activate Porter for next week.

I agree with you. As of now OD is #3

DC might not be the best QB in the league, but I think he's a tough son of a gun. IMO, he'll be out there. I think Kubiak would be the only one to keep DC from playing next Sunday.

The word for today is: Contradiction.

I don't see it as a contridiction. Let me clarify this so-called contriction. If Tom Brady was our QB yesterday, we put up 30 points + imo, with everything else exactly the same. But, I also do realize that Carr, or in fact, many QB's are not great, but varying degrees from good to awful. Those folks need help in varying degrees. In some cases a lot of it. They are the ones who cannot carry a team, then themselves need to be carried, and drug along to the show. I see Carr in that light. With the right mix around him, he might be able to be successful, although I don't think SB successful. But, it will have to be a group effort with no real weak links.

One whole game? That will give the staff enough information to determine who is the better QB? Okay.

Not really of course, but I think it would give us an idea whether he could potentially be in the mix or not. Further evualation would be neccessary to trurly know though. Nobody thought much of Damon Huard, but he has been better than Trent Green was by far.

I think this should quiet the "start Sage" crowd for a little while. He wasn't all that special, but at least he didn't make any mistakes that cost us the game.

This is what is important. He played mistake-free football, just like David. IMO you cannot ask a backup to do any more than that. You can't expect someone to come in cold turkey and win a game, either. The offense clicked well enough to preserve the win with Sage in charge, and I am fine with that.

If Andre would've caught Sage's 3 yard pass, the game would've been OVER at that point...and Sage would've been 2/3 with the 'big' play. Not bashing anyone here but if Sage starts this Sunday we'll be fine. Other than that, I agree with Vinny - Carr looked gritty yesterday....nasty, dirty, and gritty. He looked like a solid football player and solid QB.

He did what he was suppose to do, which was in this case, hand the ball off. Three pass attempts, one was a shuttle pass, completed; one was an 8 or 9 yarder that they ruled incomplete, but should have been over ruled, it was right on the money; and the third was a short one to AJ which was either dropped, but it looked looked a good defensive play, they didn't replay it. They were obviously hoping to mainly run for first downs to run out the clock. He did what was needed.

Wow dont put words in my mouth "sleeping Dog". Overboard, sleeping dog, homer, stats, Dont just pop off like that. Fact, the board is very slow when Carr has a good game.

Dont wake up the Sleeping Dog, please bro, just stop I have played ball to long and been here too long to care.............

My point is that we won yesterday, which IMO is what most posters want to see, so why should there be a lot of Carr bashing?

Actually, what can either side say about Carr's play yesterday? For the most part, Carr played a very 'safe' game and showed some toughness, but nothing spectacular. His stats were nothing great, either--50% completion, 5.5 ypa, only 178 yds, no TDs or INTs, several batted balls...

IMO, Kubiak has 'simplified' the offense for Carr to minimize his mistakes and 'help' his mental state (psychy). Carr has not thrown a TD in the past 3 games and only 2 in the past 5--avg 1 TD per game for the year. Likewise, he's not throwing interceptions--just a very basic and simple offense that minimizes decision making and the likelihood for mistakes.

Fortunately for Kubiak, very good defensive play has allowed him to call a very simple and conservative offense, but there are no guarantees this will continue. This means that-at some point-Gary is going to face some tough decisions.

Now, maybe these comments will stir the board up for you:stirpot:

I'm a Sage supporter and his performance Sunday did nothing to change that perception. Granted, he did WOW me, but he didn't screw anything up either.

I was impressed with his performance in the preseason and in his replacement of DC against Tennessee. Personally, I think he earned a start.

Is Sage the right man for the job? I can't say he is, but I can't say he isn't either. The only thing I am saying is DC isn't getting the job done and hasn't gotten the job done since he was drafted. I'd like to look at other options. Right now, Sage is our other option.

:marionaner: I like this one, its kooky!

...Nobody thought much of Damon Huard, but he has been better than Trent Green was by far.
Green only played in one game this season. And I'm sure I could cherry pick a half season from Green which would equal Huard's production. Huard has has a good half season, but it doesn't make him necessarily better than Trent Green.

Look, Tom Brady is a HOF QB. But, his team hasn't been productive the past couple of weeks. And his running attack is more formidable than the Texans'. You just can't superimpose a QB onto another team and say the results in a particular game would be vastly different. You have to realize that, more than any other position, the QB's play is tied into the production of his teammates.

If you look at David Garrard's numbers and the scoreboard, most would say he had a bad game. But, I don't think he was solely responsible for any of the interceptions he's credited with. Is it Garrard's fault that the back didn't pick up the blitz? Or his receivers let the ball slip through their hands or ran poor routes? But, he has to take the blame from the QB-centric fans and media. Blaming or crediting the QB for everything the offense does or does not do is the lazy way to analyze the game.

I don't see it as a contridiction. Let me clarify this so-called contriction. If Tom Brady was our QB yesterday, we put up 30 points + imo, with everything else exactly the same. But, I also do realize that Carr, or in fact, many QB's are not great, but varying degrees from good to awful. Those folks need help in varying degrees. In some cases a lot of it. They are the ones who cannot carry a team, then themselves need to be carried, and drug along to the show. I see Carr in that light. With the right mix around him, he might be able to be successful, although I don't think SB successful. But, it will have to be a group effort with no real weak links.

not sure pats only put up 14 against the jets :heh:

I am kidding, I know what you are saying.

I don't buy the "sage was cold" routine.. unless maybe Kubiak can script the 1st 15 plays for him too :heh: another joke

Lots of people think it's the most important position on the field....me included. Yesterday was my kind of game from Carr. He didn't have those stat pumping short passes and his % was down.....but he made big plays and clutch plays. I prefer that Carr over the stat pumper who makes no plays other than safe plays. Safe play guy doesn't win.

I can agree with that Vinny

I'm still pro-Carr, but I'm damn sure glad we got him as our backup. If something went wrong, I feel very confident he can come in and get it done if his number gets called.

Just as Sage got too much of the credit for the late play against the Titans, he's getting too much blame now.

It wasn't Sage that allowed Spicer to come in on the blindside for the sack.
It wasn't Sage that called for the HB pass on 3rd & 4.
It wasn't Sage that blew the call and the challenge on Daniels' reception & fumble.
It wasn't Sage that was called for holding, forcing a 2nd & 20 from their own 16.

I know what you're saying here SES, but you aren't going to be able to convince some people who believe that it's all about the QB. Even though I'm completely in agreement with Kubiak that Carr is the starter, I'm glad Sage is on the team. It's funny that I don't hear the complaining about Rosenfel's contract that was rampant on the board when he signed back in March.
That is exactly the point i am trying to make. Too many people put too much emphasis on the QB position where there are a ton of other variables to consider with this team to place it on one shoulder. I am glad too that Rosenfels did his job and not turn over the ball....althought I thought his job was to run the offense and score points.

Back