Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Rookie mini-camp

DJ came from a small school where he registered 20 PBUs and 11 blocked kicks/punts.

He showed some flashes last PS.

I hope to see a little more of him this year.

Edit - I saw that Obsi just pulled up those numbers, too! :)

looks like a good find for Joe's special teams squads

This is big to me, and could be very telling of the organizations future.

I would not be surprised if Keenum can beat out Yates for the #2 spot.

We'll see. Coming from Kubiak this sounds more like, "Why do y'all keep asking me about my QBs? I don't really want to answer, but since I have to say something, let me throw out some meaningless yap. I drafted a WR in the 1st round & 6th round this year, a third & a fourth last year..... no one asks me about replacing Andre. I pick up an undrafted guy on a "tryout" basis & all of a sudden I'm overhauling my QB corps......... sheesh."

But it's hard to tell with Kubiak & that's the way he wants it.

Thanks to all the tweeters from my Day 1 thread. (Most of these Day 2 tweeters are from Patrick Starr, and Stephanie Stradley.)

Day 1 Mini-Camp Thread

http://boards.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=37044

Day 2 Mini-Camp vvvv

Swearinger and Hopkins stood out once again. Swearinger had a pick 6 and Hopkins showed off his hands.

Talked to Trevardo Williams after practice said the speed of the game and learning on the run have been the biggest difference.

Williams said he has to get used to the weather down here in Texas. Said this isn't Conneticut anymore.

rookie minicamp OH: Just wait until you see the body transformation of G Brandon Brooks.

Collin Klein is hot and cold as a quarterback. Makes some great throws on the run with accuracy then has trouble in the pocket.

Talked to Alan Bonner after practice. Felt he has to learn to how to be a professional. Called it nothing but football out there.

Had a chance to talk to Justin Tuggle. Says he feels at home here (played at Blinn) and is comfortable w/ the SOLb position.

Montgomery had his back tighten up again. Worked though it majority of the first practice.

Uh-Oh, could be re-occurring theme here..

Tight end Ryan Griffin looked good catching the football. Big target and understands soft spots in coverage.

Can't report what was said during practice, but it's fun watching @Nukdabomb and @JungleBoi_Swagg go at it. Hope they don't change.

Love this healthy competition.

Alan Bonner says that having #texans coach Gary Kubiak already in his corner only makes him work harder.

DeAndre Hopkins was back at practice after leaving early Friday w/ cramps. Continues to catch everything in sight.

Alan Bonner and David Quessenberry, both from small schools, told me they both have chips on their shoulders.

Dennis Johnson looked good again @ #texans rookie camp. Said playing in #sec gives him an advantage. Called it the NFL actually.

I hope he sticks; would be nice to have a big corner to groom.

A.J. Bouye could be a guy to keep your eye on. Patrick Starr said that out of all the CB's yesterday that Bouye did the best vs. Hopkins and was giving him problems.

Also doesn't hurt that Bouye's twitter feed is "Bouye Island"

You don't put yourself on an Island unless you can back it up.

A.J. Bouye could be a guy to keep your eye on. Patrick Starr said that out of all the CB's yesterday that Bouye did the best vs. Hopkins and was giving him problems.

Also doesn't hurt that Bouye's twitter feed is "Bouye Island"

You don't put yourself on an Island unless you can back it up.

They had Howard's island up in Ohio St. too.
I'll check out the other CB; thanks for the heads-up.

Alan Bonner has plenty of critics but he said he is taking it all in stride. #Texans

Phillip Supernaw has put on some good football weight this year. Much bigger and has the ability to catch the ball. #Texans

I like what i'm hearing from all the rookies thus far. Not concerned about Williams saying there's an adjustment to the speed of the game. I'm sure guys playing somewhat of a new position heads are spinning a little now. I want Hopkins and Swearinger to bring this same swag when the whole team gets out there too. They don't need to change one bit even if they are rookies.

http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/what-i-learned-day-1-texans-rookie-camp

video

The Texans launched their three-day rookie camp Friday and from an early look here is what jumps out after the first two workouts from Day 1.

DeAndre Hopkins is as good as advertised. He caught everything that was anywhere near him and a few that weren't. He showed he has great hands and can also go deep. He's competitive and thinks anytime the ball is in the air it's his. Hopkins final catch of day one was most likely his best. A one-handed grab with a defender draped all over him up against the sideline. Hopkins came down with the catch and both feet looked to be in bounds.

“He did really good," Gary Kubiak said. "As a matter of fact, his last play he made a hell of a catch. He’s doing fine."

Hopkins left the evening session early after tightening up with cramps in his lower leg.

"It’s just that adrenaline and the newness of coming out here and flying around gets some guys pretty tired pretty quick," Kubiak added. "I think they’ll be fine tomorrow.”

D.J. Swearinger is ready to play in the NFL today. He's confident, poised, comfortable anywhere on the field and has a great football I.Q. Swearinger was directing other players where to be in formations and above all was the exciting showman he was the last four years at South Carolina. After breaking up a pass during a routine drill, Swearinger threw his arms repeatedly back and forth across the front of his body as to signal incomplete as he danced back to the sideline. He was everywhere the ball was.

Alan Bonner is put together. Bonner is listed at 5-10, 193 pounds. He looked bigger than that and stronger. he had a strong first day and already being a favorite of Gary Kubiak won't hurt him either.

"Obviously he’s not as big, he’s 5-10, 195 pounds," Kubiak said immediately following the draft. "He can really run, comes out of a break excellent, big time ball skills, he can return. There will be every chance to help this football team.”

At least one of these undrafted running backs are going to make the team. Dennis Johnson out of Arkansas, George Winn from Cincinnati, Ray Graham from Pittsburgh and Cierre Wood out of Notre Dame are all in attendance. Wood looked to be the front runner coming out of the gate after Friday and looked to show a really good burst.

“Well, I know one thing; if I was a running back in this environment, I’d be pretty excited because we’ve got two on our team," Kubiak said after the early session. "So somebody’s going to have to step up. Obviously, we’ve got some good kids back there working. What an opportunity for a free agent to be a part of this team.”

Orhian Johnson out of Ohio State is a monster at safety. Johnson, 6-3, 215 pounds, wasn't invited to the combine, but crushed his pro day. Johnson ran a 4.5 40-yard dash, had a 38 1/2 inch vertical and jumped 10-10. he's athletic and big, He did have a huge drop on a potential interception late in session two.

We saw two Collin Kleins show up. In the morning Klein was inaccurate and at times erratic. After working out with Jake Plummer to improve his throwing motion, Klein was more than shaky during the indoor workout in the morning. When the sun came out in the afternoon, so did Klein. He threw the ball much better later in the day and showed much more comfort. Kubiak has talked with Plummer about the improvements of Klein's motion and the next few days will be a big audition for him.

Sam Montgomery didn't look outstanding. Montgomery injured his back during the morning session and was forced to sit most of the second half of the workout. He did return to the field for the evening workouts. He appeared slow and not very fluid. That could have been in part because of his back. It will be interesting to see what he can do the rest of the week to turn some heads and how quickly he recovers.

Hope Montgomery get's in turned around.

Been at camp. Can't overread any of this stuff.

Will say that the only definitive thing is that Hopkins looks like the real deal. First WR at camp not named Andre Johnson where you get that whoa feeling when you watch him.

There was a time yesterday where he was way overthrown. Didn't catch the ball but the amount of separation he got on the defender while the ball was in the air was ooooooo. Extra gear oooo.

The hands are everything advertised.

I was underwhelmed with all the baby WRs in last year's camp. Very inconsistent. Hopkins is hard to ignore.

As for all the tweets about this that and the other players, I think way too early for most of those assessments. For example, I'm not all wow Case as some. Or whoa this or that defensive player though Swearinger has shown some things. The running backs are all very intriguing. That is going to be the battle royale.

One big post from me today.

PM Practice

354881748.jpg

NAMASTE!!!!

Brennan Williams left the morning practice after tweaking his knee. He said he had an MRI and is ok but won't likely participate tomorrow.

Had a chance to talk to Chris Jones. He said he signing his name to a contract guaranteed him nothing. Wants to improve.

Jones also talked about how he wants to represent Bowling Green and show that they can produce NfL players.

Jones when asked about Bowling Green talked about how special the place is to him.

Sam Montgomery looked better than expected in coverage. Showed some skills in that department.

Sounds like if he can pick up the strong side OLB and play effectively that Brooks Reed can move inside.

Linebacker Evan Frierson looked much improved. Has good range from the inside in coverage.

Lo Johnson impressed with his new position at defensive end. Very athletic at 290 lbs. for the interior of the line.

Played OLB last preseason and had 2.5 sacks. Will look forward to seeing this guy play at DE in a 3-4. Could be a good rotational player for us.

#Texans have to be at 90 man roster by the end of Sunday. With current roster draft picks and UDFAs they will be at 89.

I wonder who will get that last spot? Could it be Collin Klein? Javicz Jones?

Can't say enough about Hopkins and Swearinger. First in every drill and I have not seen them take one moment of rest.

Terrence Wheatley picked off a Collin Klein pass and returned it for at least 30 yards. Until Hopkins ran him down to bump him out of bounds

Also this is minor, but rookie tryout guy Marlon Brown went home after yesterday's practices. #Texans replaced him with a lineman.

Was looking forward to Marlon Brown, I guess he's no longer a Texan.

I think that's it for the day, no real tweeting it seems.

#Texans have to be at 90 man roster by the end of Sunday. With current roster draft picks and UDFAs they will be at 89.

Has the Texans ever been this close to the limit? I don't ever remember bringing in so many rookies, meaning we lost a lot of vets if bringing in 29 or so rookies still leaves us one shy of the 90 man roster.

One big post from me today.

PM Practice

354881748.jpg

NAMASTE!!!!

Sounds like if he can pick up the strong side OLB and play effectively that Brooks Reed can move inside.

Played OLB last preseason and had 2.5 sacks. Will look forward to seeing this guy play at DE in a 3-4. Could be a good rotational player for us.

I wonder who will get that last spot? Could it be Collin Klein? Javicz Jones?

Was looking forward to Marlon Brown, I guess he's no longer a Texan.

I think that's it for the day, no real tweeting it seems.

Thanks for all the updates! Repped. Can't wait for camp and preseason.

The story behind the Nuk picture is fun.

Told him I take an avatar picture every day of camp, and that guys do whatever pose they want. Told him some of the other poses that guys did last year.

So, he goes, I got the perfect one for you. And then arranged himself that way.

Very personable guy. And boy howdy, it is fun watching him play. I'm ready to wrap him in the bubble wrap.

Told him I take an avatar picture every day of camp, and that guys do whatever pose they want. Told him some of the other poses that guys did last year.

So, he goes, I got the perfect one for you. And then arranged himself that way...

Nice pics, Steph.

So, he goes, I got the perfect one for you. And then arranged himself that way.

Very personable guy. And boy howdy, it is fun watching him play. I'm ready to wrap him in the bubble wrap.

That's awesome! By the way, earlier in the thread i've let everyone know that the tweets/pics were from you, Patrick Starr, Nick, Marc V., and Tania Ganguli.

Not trying to take credit for any of this! :D

Appreciate all the info you tweet out! :)

That's awesome! By the way, earlier in the thread i've let everyone know that the tweets/pics were from you, Patrick Starr, Nick, Marc V., and Tania Ganguli.

Not trying to take credit for any of this! :D

Appreciate all the info you tweet out! :)

I'm just glad to have the opportunity to pass it on and that you shared it. The avatar picture thing is sort of a goofy fun thing I started doing last year because people look for avatar pics.

And everybody takes things so serious, but really most of it is doing work, no real news. So why not get fun pictures for fans?

I hope the situation of Montgomery's back doesn't have anything to do with this car accident this last February.

http://www.texas-wrongful-death-lawyer.net/11603/tyler-matlock-maurine-hanson-samuel-montgomery-charles-taylor-concow-ca-killed-injured-car-accident.htm

76, I believe this was another Samuel Montgomery. In fact, he is actually Samuel Montgomery Larson..........19 years old.

http://www.krcrtv.com/news/local/Update-Victims-Names-Released-After-Truck-Plunges-More-Than-900-Feet-Over-Cliff/-/14322302/19011832/-/a6umttz/-/index.html

Seems to be a whole lotta crampin' going' on.....for such mild weather.......without pads........and without hittin'...........

Back