Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

rmartin65's 2022 NFL Mock Draft

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
While I haven’t watched much football (neither college nor pro) the last couple of years, I can’t help but still be interested in the draft… and I also can’t help but make a mock or two. Since I have already confessed that I don’t have much of an information base to rely on, I have decided to make a mock (maybe more later, but I’m not one to be overly impressed by underwear olympics) using nfl mock draft simulators; in particular, I will be using PFF, PFN, and TDN. The “rules” I have set for myself are simple- no trades, and the players I select must be available in two out of the 3 simulators. In the mock I am unable to select the player I am targeting, I will select the highest ranked player available. I think that covers everything, so I’ll begin.

Round 1, Pick3: Notre Dame S Kyle Hamilton
Analysis/Justification: Luckily, Hamilton was available in all three simulations. He may not have impressed at the Combine, but he showed that he has more than suitable athleticism for the next level. He is, in my opinion, the best player available in the draft, making this an easy pick for me.

Round 1, Pick 13: Georgia IDL Jordan Davis
Analysis/Justification: I can hear you all now: “but 65, what about your comments about not drafting Combine All-Stars???”. Well, I don’t think that’s what I’m doing here. Davis certainly raised his stock at the Combine, but he also plays like a player who should be selected in this range. Davis was available in 2 of the 3 mocks, having been selected 4th overall (that is madness) in the PFN mock.

Round 2, Pick 37: Texas A&M OG Kenyon Green
Analysis/Justification: I’m not sure he makes it this far in real life, but perhaps the poort showing at the Combine does the trick. On the field, he looks like the best OG prospect in the draft, so I feel comfortable selecting him here. Green was available in two of the three mocks.

Round 3, Pick 68: Georgia OG Jamaree Salyer
Analysis/Justification: Again, a lot of guys I like went in two of the three drafts. The last guy I had remaining from that tier was Salyer. He’s big, he’s aggressive, and has a bunch of experience all over the line. Like the previous 3 picks, I expect Salyer would see a lot of playing time early on. I’m not wild about doubling up on OG, but it is what it is.

Round 3, Pick 80: Wisconsin ILB Leo Chenal
Analysis/Justification: I can’t believe he was still here in two of the three drafts- he’s going to go in the second round. I don’t know if he’s a perfect fit for the Texans’ system (though he fits the AFC South), but I think he has the talent to make it work.

Round 4, Pick 108: Georgia RB James Cook
Analysis/Justification: An explosive playmaker, but I don’t think he will be a true #1RB in the NFL. He’ll need to share the backfield with someone to take those short-yardage situational carries. Great hands out of the backfield.

Round 6, Pick 183: Michigan RB Hassan Haskins
Analysis/Justification: And we’ll get that other back here. He’s big, he’s strong, and he doesn’t try to get fancy with it. Not a star, and I don’t expect an overly long career, but the Cook/Haskins partnership should revamp the Texans’ run game for the short term.

Round 6, Pick 205: Baylor CB Kalon Barnes
Analysis/Justification: This late, I’ll take a chance on an athlete who needs some technique/position work.

Round 6, Pick 207: UConn OT Ryan Van Demark
Analysis/Justification: I wanted an OT, and it is my regret that I was unable to get one earlier (doing it over, I’d probably have drafted one instead of doubling up on OGs). RVD seems like a character player with swing tackle potential.

Round 7, Pick 245: Idaho State WR Tanner Conner
Analysis/Justification: Another late pick for a position I wanted to draft earlier. Conner has a solid size/speed combo to go along with strong on-field production.

Draft Post-Mortem: It could be better, but I’d be satisfied if the draft turned out this way. Hamilton, Davis, one of (if not both) Green/Salyer, and Chenal should all be starters right out of the gate. Haskins and Cook should be contributors fairly early on, even if neither will ever be a true all-in-one type of back. Barnes and Conner are a couple of lottery tickets with exceptional athleticism, while Van Demark strikes me as a guy who can hang around a roster for a couple years as a backup. If I do it again, I’m looking to upgrade at OT and WR, probably at the expense of one of the OGs and one of the RBs. And maybe a developmental QB as well, but I think the Texans are better suited signing a veteran to serve as backup for the upcoming season.

While I haven’t watched much football (neither college nor pro) the last couple of years, I can’t help but still be interested in the draft… and I also can’t help but make a mock or two. Since I have already confessed that I don’t have much of an information base to rely on, I have decided to make a mock (maybe more later, but I’m not one to be overly impressed by underwear olympics) using nfl mock draft simulators; in particular, I will be using PFF, PFN, and TDN. The “rules” I have set for myself are simple- no trades, and the players I select must be available in two out of the 3 simulators. In the mock I am unable to select the player I am targeting, I will select the highest ranked player available. I think that covers everything, so I’ll begin.

Analysis/Justification: Luckily, Hamilton was available in all three simulations. He may not have impressed at the Combine, but he showed that he has more than suitable athleticism for the next level. He is, in my opinion, the best player available in the draft, making this an easy pick for me.

Analysis/Justification: I can hear you all now: “but 65, what about your comments about not drafting Combine All-Stars???”. Well, I don’t think that’s what I’m doing here. Davis certainly raised his stock at the Combine, but he also plays like a player who should be selected in this range. Davis was available in 2 of the 3 mocks, having been selected 4th overall (that is madness) in the PFN mock.

Analysis/Justification: I’m not sure he makes it this far in real life, but perhaps the poort showing at the Combine does the trick. On the field, he looks like the best OG prospect in the draft, so I feel comfortable selecting him here. Green was available in two of the three mocks.

Analysis/Justification: Again, a lot of guys I like went in two of the three drafts. The last guy I had remaining from that tier was Salyer. He’s big, he’s aggressive, and has a bunch of experience all over the line. Like the previous 3 picks, I expect Salyer would see a lot of playing time early on. I’m not wild about doubling up on OG, but it is what it is.

Analysis/Justification: I can’t believe he was still here in two of the three drafts- he’s going to go in the second round. I don’t know if he’s a perfect fit for the Texans’ system (though he fits the AFC South), but I think he has the talent to make it work.

Analysis/Justification: An explosive playmaker, but I don’t think he will be a true #1RB in the NFL. He’ll need to share the backfield with someone to take those short-yardage situational carries. Great hands out of the backfield.

Analysis/Justification: And we’ll get that other back here. He’s big, he’s strong, and he doesn’t try to get fancy with it. Not a star, and I don’t expect an overly long career, but the Cook/Haskins partnership should revamp the Texans’ run game for the short term.

Analysis/Justification: This late, I’ll take a chance on an athlete who needs some technique/position work.

Analysis/Justification: I wanted an OT, and it is my regret that I was unable to get one earlier (doing it over, I’d probably have drafted one instead of doubling up on OGs). RVD seems like a character player with swing tackle potential.

Analysis/Justification: Another late pick for a position I wanted to draft earlier. Conner has a solid size/speed combo to go along with strong on-field production.

Draft Post-Mortem: It could be better, but I’d be satisfied if the draft turned out this way. Hamilton, Davis, one of (if not both) Green/Salyer, and Chenal should all be starters right out of the gate. Haskins and Cook should be contributors fairly early on, even if neither will ever be a true all-in-one type of back. Barnes and Conner are a couple of lottery tickets with exceptional athleticism, while Van Demark strikes me as a guy who can hang around a roster for a couple years as a backup. If I do it again, I’m looking to upgrade at OT and WR, probably at the expense of one of the OGs and one of the RBs. And maybe a developmental QB as well, but I think the Texans are better suited signing a veteran to serve as backup for the upcoming season.
Those top two are distinct possibilities.
I see your point with doubling up on some positions - Salyer would be hard to pass up on - sometimes you have to go with bpa rather than reach.

You and I are speaking the same language! Addressed the trenches and got a blue chip safety. Lots of same players/positions from what i’m getting. Maybe go TE (Ruckert/Otton) over LB at 80 would be my biggest difference but would love this haul.

Good to read your Mock Draft post, brings back old memories.

Also love the system you developed to bring some realistic value to your picks.

So your in the Hamilton camp #3 overall, what in his game won you over? You realize he's still recovering from knee injury, ran 4.59 2nd slowest of Safety class @ the Combine?

Three board members, post Watson trade and acquiring #13 have chosen Jordan Davis, does he fit in Lovies 4-3?

Green early 2nd would be ok I guess, Howard is LG so plugging him RG would be good fit.

Salyer another OG? thinking they kick Howard back to RT?

League is moving away from ILB position as a value pick so reason why Leo Chenal falls. Would make a ton of sense for old school Lovie.

Love the Cook pick, if he's anything like his brother Dalvin this is a homerun pick. Has electric burst and 2nd gear.

Come right back with his running back partner, a slashing between the tackles bruiser. Like the combo affect.

Like Barnes too, can't teach that speed, high reward low risk.

Van Demark flashed at the Shrine, worth developing as swing tackle

Tanner another sleeper prospect, hate to wait this late addressing WR, could be priority free agent.

Last edited:
Comments on each pick:

Hamilton - My question is, how are the Texans going to use him? Is Hamilton a deep safety in the Tampa 2? That seems a waste. Can he play a rover, lining up at LB, DS, or in press coverage vs a slot TE? I think so, but would that be a fundamental change to the defensive scheme, forcing positional diversity among other defenders? Hamilton can definitely be an impact defender. But the defense will need a scheme that fits his ability.

Jordan Davis - Davis is another unicorn who possibly possesses diversity in his game. He has the size and strength to 2 gap. And the explosiveness to 1 gap. If Davis is paired with a DT with similar diversity, it would cause much confusion for the offense. But, the pass rush capabilities are just a projection, as he wasn't a 3 down player in college. The biggest knock on Davis may be his stamina at 340+ lbs. Do you take a guy at #13 that plays 50% of the snaps?

Green - Has taken a hit for his combine performance. And a team drafting late 1st/early 2nd may be the beneficiary. Green is not a fit for every offense. He won't shine on outside zone running plays. Or screens. But Green is a rock when pass protecting and a mauler on inside runs. His position versatility is an added advantage. A great fit for the Texans, in particular.

Salyer - He is very similar to Green, just a little less mobile. Like Green, Salyer could play some OT in the pros, but is a better fit inside. Another SEC lineman ready to play day 1 in a power scheme.

Chenal - A throwback LB with size and power. Chenal has plenty of straight line speed and is the type of LB the Patriots have drafted in the past (Hightower, Collins). A fit for Lovie's Tampa 2? Maybe not as currently constructed. But when considering the running attacks in division, a LB with power and speed like Chenal should be a consideration.

Cook & Haskins - There are few 3 down backs in this draft, maybe 2. If you miss on them, a RB by committee system is necessary. Cook (Mr. Outside) and Haskins (Mr. Inside) would be perfect compliments. I especially like Cook's ability to move out to the slot and create mismatches.

Barnes - Incredible athlete that is still raw in regards to football skills. Barnes isn't the type of tackler that drives thru his target normally seen in a cover 2 defense. Still, he has enough ability to make a mark on coverage teams to earn a roster spot and develop.

Ryan Van Demark - Has the traits NFL teams look for in OTs, and had a nice all star game week. The kind of guy a team should draft late, rather than flip the pick for another teams bust 3 years ago.

Tanner Conner - Small college guy who played at the Shrine Bowl. Conner made a tackle on a punt return coverage and came up with a big 3rd down catch over the middle on a 4th quarter scoring drive (beating Kalon Barnes). Looks big and fast (haven't seen pro day numbers). Why not?

Comments on each pick:

Hamilton - My question is, how are the Texans going to use him? Is Hamilton a deep safety in the Tampa 2? That seems a waste. Can he play a rover, lining up at LB, DS, or in press coverage vs a slot TE? I think so, but would that be a fundamental change to the defensive scheme, forcing positional diversity among other defenders? Hamilton can definitely be an impact defender. But the defense will need a scheme that fits his ability.

Jordan Davis - Davis is another unicorn who possibly possesses diversity in his game. He has the size and strength to 2 gap. And the explosiveness to 1 gap. If Davis is paired with a DT with similar diversity, it would cause much confusion for the offense. But, the pass rush capabilities are just a projection, as he wasn't a 3 down player in college. The biggest knock on Davis may be his stamina at 340+ lbs. Do you take a guy at #13 that plays 50% of the snaps?

Green - Has taken a hit for his combine performance. And a team drafting late 1st/early 2nd may be the beneficiary. Green is not a fit for every offense. He won't shine on outside zone running plays. Or screens. But Green is a rock when pass protecting and a mauler on inside runs. His position versatility is an added advantage. A great fit for the Texans, in particular.

Salyer - He is very similar to Green, just a little less mobile. Like Green, Salyer could play some OT in the pros, but is a better fit inside. Another SEC lineman ready to play day 1 in a power scheme.

Chenal - A throwback LB with size and power. Chenal has plenty of straight line speed and is the type of LB the Patriots have drafted in the past (Hightower, Collins). A fit for Lovie's Tampa 2? Maybe not as currently constructed. But when considering the running attacks in division, a LB with power and speed like Chenal should be a consideration.

Cook & Haskins - There are few 3 down backs in this draft, maybe 2. If you miss on them, a RB by committee system is necessary. Cook (Mr. Outside) and Haskins (Mr. Inside) would be perfect compliments. I especially like Cook's ability to move out to the slot and create mismatches.

Barnes - Incredible athlete that is still raw in regards to football skills. Barnes isn't the type of tackler that drives thru his target normally seen in a cover 2 defense. Still, he has enough ability to make a mark on coverage teams to earn a roster spot and develop.

Ryan Van Demark - Has the traits NFL teams look for in OTs, and had a nice all star game week. The kind of guy a team should draft late, rather than flip the pick for another teams bust 3 years ago.

Tanner Conner - Small college guy who played at the Shrine Bowl. Conner made a tackle on a punt return coverage and came up with a big 3rd down catch over the middle on a 4th quarter scoring drive (beating Kalon Barnes). Looks big and fast (haven't seen pro day numbers). Why not?
Great remarks.
I am with you 100% on the ding on Jordan and said as much in a post - do you burn such a high pick on a prospect who is not a three down player? I am all for building the D trench, but there could be a decent prospect in the lower rounds - a la DJ Reader.

So your in the Hamilton camp #3 overall, what in his game won you over? You realize he's still recovering from knee injury, ran 4.59 2nd slowest of Safety class @ the Combine?

I think Hamilton can do anything asked of him at a high level. Man up on a TE? Sure. Play deep? Sure. Play close to the line in run support? Sure. He's athletic enough, and more importantly, he has a very high football IQ.

Three board members, post Watson trade and acquiring #13 have chosen Jordan Davis, does he fit in Lovies 4-3?

I think so. It's not a seemless projection, but I think putting him in a 4-3 would allow him to be more of a playmaker as opposed to a lane-clogger.

Green early 2nd would be ok I guess, Howard is LG so plugging him RG would be good fit.

Salyer another OG? thinking they kick Howard back to RT?

No idea what to do with both +Howard. If I had known Slayer was going to be the best player available to me at 68, I likely would have gone a different direction with the Green pick. But, it is what it is. Odds are one of them busts anyway.

League is moving away from ILB position as a value pick so reason why Leo Chenal falls. Would make a ton of sense for old school Lovie.

Like I've mentioned, I haven't watched a ton of ball... but if I was doing player grades or a big board this year, Chenal is probably my highest rated pure LB (not counting the edge guys, because that is a different beast).

Love the Cook pick, if he's anything like his brother Dalvin this is a homerun pick. Has electric burst and 2nd gear.

Come right back with his running back partner, a slashing between the tackles bruiser. Like the combo affect.

Yeah, getting them back to back looks right aesthetically, but I'm not sure if it was the best use of the draft capital I had available.

Like Barnes too, can't teach that speed, high reward low risk.

I'm guessing someone falls in love with his speed and takes him earlier, but my thought process was/is the same as yours here.

Van Demark flashed at the Shrine, worth developing as swing tackle

His season was actually pretty nice too.

Tanner another sleeper prospect, hate to wait this late addressing WR, could be priority free agent.

Yeah, I'd probably draft a WR higher had I known the draft was going to break the way it did.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm thinking now isn't the time to draft with a coach's system in mind- I can't see Smith here long-term, so I am looking for guys who can play the system for a couple years, even if they would be better utilized in another. Like I mentioned above, I think Hamilton can do any of those things, which should make it easy for a coach to utilize him... even if the player isn't optimized.

I'm hoping he can play more than 50% of snaps... but we don't really know until we see it. Same with the pass rushing abilities. It's a gamble, but I'm willing to roll the dice here since I feel very comfortable in stating that Hamilton is going to be an impact player from day 1.

Agreed.

Yeah, I've mentioned that I don't think he is a great fit for the Tampa 2, at least based on what he has been asked to do in college. His talent is just too good to pass up here. Like with Hamilton, I think he can play in any scheme, even if it is not placing him in the best position to succeed.

No arguments or further comments.

Even if he just ends up a gunner on ST, that's a win for a 6th round pick.

Could not agree more with the bolded.

He caught my eye there too. I'm not entirely sure what to do with him offensively- I don't know if the suddenness is there to stick at receiver, but have him gain 10-15 pounds and use him as at TE? Maybe. In any case, just making the roster as a ST guy this next year would be a win for a late pick.

Thanks for the review.

Updated version:

Round 1, Pick 3: North Carolina State OG Ikem Ekwonu
Analysis/Justification: He’s the best OL prospect in the draft, and the Texans need OL help. He’ll start at OG, but I see him moving to tackle in a couple years.

Round 1, Pick 13: Washington CB Trent McDuffie
Analysis/Justification: Another pick that I realize (some) people won’t like, McDuffie is a football player. He’s smart, aggressive, and talented.

Round 2, Pick 37: UConn DT Travis Jones
Analysis/Justification: In a draft with a normal distribution of DL talent, Jones is likely picked in the 20s. He’s big, athletic, and has put it all together on the field. Like Ekownu and McDuffie, Jones is a Day 1 starter.

Round 3, Pick 68: Wisconsin ILB Leo Chenal
Analysis/Justification: Looking over the draft sim rankings, people are finally catching up on Chenal. As such, I pull the trigger here instead of waiting until later. Chenal is arguably the best run-stuffing LB in the draft, and has the athleticism to suggest he can play in space when required. Adding Chenal and Jones here will help stop the run-heavy offenses we have seen in the AFC South.

Round 3, Pick 80: Cincinnati S Bryan Cook
Analysis/Justification: A nice-sized safety with strong tackling ability, Cook should be able to step in and contribute (if not start) right away.

Round 4, Pick 107: Washington TE Cade Otton
Analysis/Justification: One of the few TEs in this draft that can both block and get open in the passing game, Otton is a safe bet to be an NFLer. I wish he was a bit more physical, but he wouldn’t be available here if he was.

Round 4, Pick 108: Miami (OH) DE Dominique Robinson
Analysis/Justification: A developmental pass rusher, Robinson has had a very interesting career since high school, having recently converted from WR to DE. He’s strong and explosive, and while he needs technique work, he already shows flashes of advanced pass rushing techniques that tell me he is a quick study.

Round 5, Pick 170: Notre Dame WR Kevin Austin Jr.
Analysis/Justification: Austin is a player who recently caught my attention. He just looks like an NFL receiver, and I’m impressed by his on-field mentality- he really fights for the ball, and doesn’t get tackled easily.

Round 6, Pick 205: Michigan RB Hassan Haskins
Analysis/Justification: Haskins is a big, strong, between-the-tackles RB. He blocks well and battles for extra yardage. He won’t make a lot of guys miss, though, which is why he is available this late. I can see him getting a decent amount of snaps as a rookie.

Round 6, Pick 207: North Dakota State OT Cordell Volson
Analysis/Justification: Another strong, physical player, Volson impressed a lot of people this season. He lacks athleticism, so I doubt that he ever becomes more than a backup or a guy who gets rotated in on goalline or short-yardage situations, but he has the attitude to get everything out of his natural gifts.

3). Ekwonu maybe the best offensive lineman but is he a LT? Neal or Cross is the better LT.

13). Trent McDuffie is all but loaded as the Vikings selection, but sure if he drops.

37). Travis Jones, love this pick/value/fit.

68). Chenal is a freaky athlete, stout, strong and physical coming downhill behind Jones.

80). Good Justin Reed replacement.

107). Cade Otten is a good all around TE or Charlie Kolar.

108). Dominique Robinson has higher grade than Amate Barno so you win

108). Dominique Robinson has higher grade than Amate Barno so you win the edge there.

170). I’m not a ND guy but Austin ran fast and looked like a good late round option @ WR.

205). Haskins would be a solid back especially running through large holes Ekwonu creates.

207). Volson excellent swing tackle prospect.

Overall you did a great job addressing need while being realistic with your grading, thus availability. Would be happy with your draft for the Texans:logo:

3). Ekwonu maybe the best offensive lineman but is he a LT? Neal or Cross is the better LT.
Nah, he's not a LT. LG for now (maybe even permanently) but I think he can become a quality RT after a season or two. Cross isn't physical enough, IMO- he's shooting up boards because neither Neal nor Ekwonu project well at LT, and LT is one of the "It" positions. Neal... I wouldn't be upset, but since I don't think he ends up at LT in the pros and I have Ekwonu rated higher at G and RT, I'm going with him.

13). Trent McDuffie is all but loaded as the Vikings selection, but sure if he drops.
He was there in two of the three sims, so he was my pick. I was hoping Hamilton would fall, but no dice.

37). Travis Jones, love this pick/value/fit.
I truly believe that he would be a mid first rounder in a draft with normal DL talent distribution.

68). Chenal is a freaky athlete, stout, strong and physical coming downhill behind Jones.
As I said, Jones + Chenal will really help against runs up the gut.

80). Good Justin Reed replacement.
I wish he was a bit better in coverage, but everyone this late has flaws.

Kolar is an interesting option as well. I think Otton creates a little better, which gives him the edge for me.

108). Dominique Robinson has higher grade than Amate Barno so you win
Barno is more explosive, but I think he is a bit of a linear athlete- I don't see the bend and lateral agility that I'm generally looking for with edge players.

170). I’m not a ND guy but Austin ran fast and looked like a good late round option @ WR.
Austin took his game to another level in the second half of the season.

205). Haskins would be a solid back especially running through large holes Ekwonu creates.
I also like Teague from OSU.

207). Volson excellent swing tackle prospect.
Do you think he has the athleticism to be a swing tackle? I'm thinking he may have to kick inside, actually, but I could be (and often am!) wrong.

Overall you did a great job addressing need while being realistic with your grading, thus availability. Would be happy with your draft for the Texans:logo:
Thanks, BL. It has felt good getting back into film this past month or so. Hopefully I can maintain the drive for the CFB season next year.

I’m absolutely fine if Ekwonu were to be drafted and kept at LG for his entire career. If I remember correctly….LG’s can make the Pro Bowl and selected for the HoF, if earned.

Some on this board have really stood up for Laremy Tunsil b/c he was a “true” Pro Bowl talent in Miami. They say he hasn’t hit his full potential at LT as a Texan b/c there’s been a severe lack of talent at LG. So, let’s say Ekwonu has been the missing piece and suddenly the Texans are graced with a “real” Pro Bowl left side…..who’d be opposed to extending Tunsil a new contract in order to keep the new left side in tact.

In my book….this is what makes Ekwonu a slam dunk first pick….he potentially impacts (2) positions of absolute need.

If the Texans could land Salyer, Kinnard, or Mays for RG in RD3 and Stueber later in the draft as a RT or Swing T….the OL could finally be set to establish a dominant ground game utilizing a multi-dimensional attack, which they’ve never done since their inception.

I’m absolutely fine if Ekwonu were to be drafted and kept at LG for his entire career. If I remember correctly….LG’s can make the Pro Bowl and selected for the HoF, if earned.

Some on this board have really stood up for Laremy Tunsil b/c he was a “true” Pro Bowl talent in Miami. They say he hasn’t hit his full potential at LT as a Texan b/c there’s been a severe lack of talent at LG. So, let’s say Ekwonu has been the missing piece and suddenly the Texans are graced with a “real” Pro Bowl left side…..who’d be opposed to extending Tunsil a new contract in order to keep the new left side in tact.

In my book….this is what makes Ekwonu a slam dunk first pick….he potentially impacts (2) positions of absolute need.

If the Texans could land Salyer, Kinnard, or Mays for RG in RD3 and Stueber later in the draft as a RT or Swing T….the OL could finally be set to establish a dominant ground game utilizing a multi-dimensional attack, which they’ve never done since their inception.
Great observation man.

couldn’t agree more. I’m old enough to remember the Oilers drafting Mike Munchak as a guard prospect very high first round. I don’t remember the pick # but in any event that seemed to work out pretty well wouldn’t you say?

Updated version:

Round 1, Pick 3: North Carolina State OG Ikem Ekwonu
Analysis/Justification: He’s the best OL prospect in the draft, and the Texans need OL help. He’ll start at OG, but I see him moving to tackle in a couple years.

Round 1, Pick 13: Washington CB Trent McDuffie
Analysis/Justification: Another pick that I realize (some) people won’t like, McDuffie is a football player. He’s smart, aggressive, and talented.

Round 2, Pick 37: UConn DT Travis Jones
Analysis/Justification: In a draft with a normal distribution of DL talent, Jones is likely picked in the 20s. He’s big, athletic, and has put it all together on the field. Like Ekownu and McDuffie, Jones is a Day 1 starter.

Round 3, Pick 68: Wisconsin ILB Leo Chenal
Analysis/Justification: Looking over the draft sim rankings, people are finally catching up on Chenal. As such, I pull the trigger here instead of waiting until later. Chenal is arguably the best run-stuffing LB in the draft, and has the athleticism to suggest he can play in space when required. Adding Chenal and Jones here will help stop the run-heavy offenses we have seen in the AFC South.

Round 3, Pick 80: Cincinnati S Bryan Cook
Analysis/Justification: A nice-sized safety with strong tackling ability, Cook should be able to step in and contribute (if not start) right away.

Round 4, Pick 107: Washington TE Cade Otton
Analysis/Justification: One of the few TEs in this draft that can both block and get open in the passing game, Otton is a safe bet to be an NFLer. I wish he was a bit more physical, but he wouldn’t be available here if he was.

Round 4, Pick 108: Miami (OH) DE Dominique Robinson
Analysis/Justification: A developmental pass rusher, Robinson has had a very interesting career since high school, having recently converted from WR to DE. He’s strong and explosive, and while he needs technique work, he already shows flashes of advanced pass rushing techniques that tell me he is a quick study.

Round 5, Pick 170: Notre Dame WR Kevin Austin Jr.
Analysis/Justification: Austin is a player who recently caught my attention. He just looks like an NFL receiver, and I’m impressed by his on-field mentality- he really fights for the ball, and doesn’t get tackled easily.

Round 6, Pick 205: Michigan RB Hassan Haskins
Analysis/Justification: Haskins is a big, strong, between-the-tackles RB. He blocks well and battles for extra yardage. He won’t make a lot of guys miss, though, which is why he is available this late. I can see him getting a decent amount of snaps as a rookie.

Round 6, Pick 207: North Dakota State OT Cordell Volson
Analysis/Justification: Another strong, physical player, Volson impressed a lot of people this season. He lacks athleticism, so I doubt that he ever becomes more than a backup or a guy who gets rotated in on goalline or short-yardage situations, but he has the attitude to get everything out of his natural gifts.

I like it.

Certainly would upgrade the talent level. I probably would pick a wr in the 3rd and will say buyer be a where on Icky.

Agree

I can say the same thing about Neal.

I like it.

Certainly would upgrade the talent level. I probably would pick a wr in the 3rd and will say buyer be a where on Icky.
Agree

I can say the same thing about Neal.
Think same could be said about Zion or Kenyon Green
There are about 4 or 5 LG you could draft in RDs 2,3,4 that could give you what Ekwonu can give you, maybe even more. For Example:

Ickey Ekwonu, OG
HeightWeightArm lengthHand span40-yard dash20-yard shuttleThree-cone drillVertical jumpBroad jump
6 ft 4 in
(1.93 m)
310 lb
(141 kg)
34 in
(0.86 m)
10+1⁄4 in
(0.26 m)
4.93 s4.73 s7.82 s29.0 in
(0.74 m)
9 ft 0 in
(2.74 m)

VS

Cole Strange, OG/C

HeightWeightArm lengthHand span40-yard dash20-yard shuttleThree-cone drillVertical jumpBroad jump
6 ft 5 in307 lb33 in10+1⁄8 in5.03s4.50 s7.44 s2810 ft 0 in
Bench Press = 31

Cole has a much better change of direction and lateral movement skills and he may be stronger. A real Mark Schlereth he is. Better take this guy at #68 if you want him. Ekwonu is a vertical guy. His slide step and lateral quickness leave OC and OL coaches wanting a whole lot more.

There are about 4 or 5 LG you could draft in RDs 2,3,4 that could give you what Ekwonu can give you, maybe even more. For Example:

Ickey Ekwonu, OG
6 ft 4 in
(1.93 m)
310 lb
(141 kg)
34 in
(0.86 m)
10+1⁄4 in
(0.26 m)
4.93 s4.73 s7.82 s29.0 in
(0.74 m)
9 ft 0 in
(2.74 m)
VS

Cole Strange, OG/C

6 ft 5 in307 lb33 in10+1⁄8 in5.03s4.50 s7.44 s2810 ft 0 in
Bench Press = 31

Cole has a much better change of direction and lateral movement skills and he may be stronger. A real Mark Schlereth he is. Better take this guy at #68 if you want him. Ekwonu is a vertical guy. His slide step and lateral quickness leave OC and OL coaches wanting a whole lot more.
Bill Belicheck believes in you and loves you too

Had Kenyon to Chargers #17. RG. Texans took him off the board #15 so they ended up with Zion Johnson whom I also love. Then of course everyone talks about Patriots reaching for OG Cole Strange #29. Oddly was granted interview to A Charger podcast days before the draft, and you could see a very straight forward, high motor/effort guy willing to do whatever is needed. Rams also wanted him but didn’t have a first day pick so they targeted OG Logan Bruss #40. Text book need/value selection and reason why, analytics pay-off (Super Bowl) but when you have to protect your franchise QB and improve running game now, you don’t have luxury to wait.

Keynon Green went higher than the draftnik community but guards did overall
I don't usually worry about that kind of stuff.

But the way a CB was picked right after Houston took the first one, a Guard was selected right after Houston took the first one & there was a run on WRs after Nick selected Metchie tells me Nick read the room right.

There are people out there who think one player of a position is the same as the next. & I'm usually in that group.

But I like the way Nick goes after the guy he wants & not settle for whoever is left.

Back