Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

rmartin65's 2018 Texans Mock Draft

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
First, I want to level with you all- I didn’t watch much college ball this year. It’s been a busy few years, and, unfortunately, football is one of the things that ended up going on the backburner. So, you all may ask… “why is this clown doing a Texans’ Mock, then?” Well, the answer is pretty simple- it is fun. Additionally, at the very least, doing the research has gotten me familiar with quite a few prospects, so hopefully I wont be too far behind the 8-ball when the Texans make their selections next week. Thus, I will be able to have my knee-jerk reaction and call the FO idiots like the rest of you. Or geniuses, if they pick the following players.

As always, take this mock for what it is- one fan’s uninformed opinion. Oh, and I don’t try to predict trades, though I assume some go down.

68) Pittsburgh OT Brian O’Neill, 6’7” 297 lbs

If I could sum up O’Neill in one word, it would be “potential”. He has the potential to be an all-pro, IMO, his athleticism is that good. Now, he makes it to this pick because the second word I would use to describe O’Neill is “raw”. Honestly, O’Neill probably shouldn’t see the field this upcoming year, certainly not in any starting capacity. He needs to add strength, and his technique… well, it needs work as well. What he does have, however, is size and athleticism. This dude can move in a way that very, very few OTs can; measurables may lie, but the game tape doesn’t. The former TE and HS basketball star could even be used as an extra TE in goal-line situations; indeed, that’s one way I would get him on the field during his rookie season while he gains strength and improves his technique.

80) Virginia SS Quin Blanding, 6’2” 207 lbs

While I picked a project up above, I grab a true football player here, who can fit in and take meaningful snaps from day 1. I get the hesitation surrounding Blanding- his measurables are not terribly impressive. But put away the papers and combine tape, and pop on some game-tape, and tell me you don’t see an NFL player there. Blanding is smart, and just finds a way to make plays. He’s durable, a sure tackler, and rarely makes a mistake in coverage. This isn’t the exciting splash pick that a lot of people want to see, but, in my opinion, this is the kind of pick that builds towards a championship team.

98) Sam Houston State DT P.J. Hall, 6’ 308 lbs

Explosive and productive, Hall checks all the boxes except height/length and level of competition. I also thing his frame is maxed out, so he wont be getting much bigger. And, actually, depending on scheme, he might be asked to drop down to 290. Even if Hall doesn’t make it as an every down player, he brings value as a STer and situational pass rusher.

103) Stanford CB Quenton Meeks, 6’1” 209 lbs

I was torn between Meeks and another CB here (Maddox from Pitt), but Meeks gets the nod due to his ability to step in and play immediately. He’s pretty well polished, has great size and length, and doesn’t take penalties. He’s not a game-breaker, but I think in Meeks the Texans will be getting a solid, low-maintenance depth corner at a low price.

177) San Diego State TE David Wells, 6’6” 256 lbs

Our Fido replacement. Wells is one of the few TEs in this draft class that looks pro-ready as an in-line blocker right from the get-go. He wasn’t used much as a target, but I think he actually has some decent hands that can make a defense pay for ignoring him.

211) Cincinnati RB Mike Boone, 5’10” 206 lbs

Boone strikes me as being a perfect fit for a 3rd down/scat back. He’s quick, agile, explosive, and catches the ball better than some receivers. He has some injury concerns, but this deep in the draft, nobody is perfect.

222) South Dakota QB Chris Streveler, 6’2” 209 lbs

Streveler is an athletic QB with a cannon. He played in a gimmicky offense against poor competition, so he needs a lot of work, but all the tools seem to be there.

Have at it.

I like the rational behind the O'Neill pick. There are a couple of other raw OTs that could fit that profile if O'Neill doesn't make it to the Texans pick.

I like the Wells pick. Along with ND TE Smythe, Wells is the best blocking TE I've seen in this draft.

Never heard of Streveler. Makes me want to look him up and watch some video. If you're into watching video of super sleepers, lookup Zach Sieler, DE - Ferris State. He's a man among boys.

Over all I like this mock.

O'Neil - agreed

Blanding- Like this pick, he reminds me of Quin.

Hall- Love

Meeks- Like dont love, if Harrison/Richardson fall here that would be my pick.

Wells- Love

Boone- I've checked this guy out and he definitely has the talent to play in the NFL, great speed and hands. Wonder how tough he runs/is?

Streveler- Never heard of this guy.

Back