Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

rmartin65 Final 2011 Texans Mock

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
I got sucked in again. The draft is too exciting to sit idly by- I need to make my final mock. I hate mocking trades, so I am just going with the Texans' original 8 picks. I also am doing this under the assumption of no major FA acquisitions.

1) Wisconsin DE JJ Watt, 6'5" 290 lbs

I am not changing from my gut feeling. Watt has everything a 3-4 DE needs, and will get plenty of playing time in a rotation with Mario and Smith.

2) Georgia OLB Justin Houston, 6'3" 270 lbs

His stock is dropping like a stone, for reasons I can not understand. He is bigger than the average rush OLB, but he looks very fluid and explosive. He has experience playing in the 3-4, and should start from day one.

3) Hampton NT Kenrick Ellis, 6'5" 346 lbs

We get a big body with great athleticism from the conversion to the 3-4.

4) North Carolina FS Deunta Williams, 6'1" 205 lbs

Williams is a top 25 talent that drops due to suspension and injury. A former wideout, he has great size and athleticism, as well has the hands to make picks.

5) Marshall ILB Mario Harvey, 5'11" 257 lbs

Depth player and special teams ace.

6) Cincinnati OC Jason Kelce, 6'3" 280 lbs

Athletic center with room to grow, he is a perfect fit for a hybrid ZBS scheme. I actually think he could make a very good short yard FB as well.

7) Colorado School of Mines NT Blaine Sumner, 6'1" 335 lbs

You all know how highly I think of this guy. Strong as an ox, and surprisingly sudden. Not a very good lateral athlete, but immovable at the point of attack. Should be able to occupy 2-3 blockers on every down with some work on technique.

Mr. Irrelevant) Minnesota QB Adam Weber, 6'1" 209 lbs

Long term stater with great athleticism. I think he makes a roster as a third QB.

As far as UDFAs, I want the Texans to take a look at some big receivers and pass rushers.

I think Watt will be a very good player .... my only issue is with taking a guy at 11 who is not going to get on the field an awful lot this season playing behind MW and AS.

I think the player taken @ 11 has to start from day one .... With the amount of holes on this defense , picking a guy who will be in a limited rotation role like Watt is a luxury they cant afford.

I like the rest .... especially Kendrick Ellis in the third round.

I could live with that. I'd prefer Amukamara with our 1st pick, but Watt is going to be a stud in the NFL.

I dont really want another rookie CB out there, with the exception of Peterson. Watt is about a safe a pick as there is in the draft, and I want a sure fire player.

I think Watt will be a very good player .... my only issue is with taking a guy at 11 who is not going to get on the field an awful lot this season playing behind MW and AS.

I think the player taken @ 11 has to start from day one .... With the amount of holes on this defense , picking a guy who will be in a limited rotation role like Watt is a luxury they cant afford.

I like the rest .... especially Kendrick Ellis in the third round.

I would love to see the 3rd down dline that is Mario-Smith-Watt. Or Mario-Watt-Smith.

I´d be thrilled with this draft - I culd easily see 3-4 players starting day one and really contributing the whole season. Good job!

I would love to see the 3rd down dline that is Mario-Smith-Watt. Or Mario-Watt-Smith.

Yeah , I could see the merits of that .... but thats just passing situations , what about the rest of the game. Just not enough of an impact at that spot in the draft.

Ugh, pass on that please. Does he have talent? Yep. Will he play consistently at that level? I think not. I see him as a lesser Haynesworth.

Agree'd .... I'd rather they trade down in front of the group of 34 teams around pick 20 and take Taylor if we're gonna take a questionmark.

Hell , at this point , I dont know who I want them to take. So many guy's I'd be satisfied with under specific circumstances trading up , down or standing pat.

This draft is so much more fluid than any in recent memory .... anything could happen.

I got sucked in again. The draft is too exciting to sit idly by- I need to make my final mock. I hate mocking trades, so I am just going with the Texans' original 8 picks. I also am doing this under the assumption of no major FA acquisitions.

1) Wisconsin DE JJ Watt, 6'5" 290 lbs

I am not changing from my gut feeling. Watt has everything a 3-4 DE needs, and will get plenty of playing time in a rotation with Mario and Smith.

2) Georgia OLB Justin Houston, 6'3" 270 lbs

His stock is dropping like a stone, for reasons I can not understand. He is bigger than the average rush OLB, but he looks very fluid and explosive. He has experience playing in the 3-4, and should start from day one.

3) Hampton NT Kenrick Ellis, 6'5" 346 lbs

We get a big body with great athleticism from the conversion to the 3-4.

4) North Carolina FS Deunta Williams, 6'1" 205 lbs

Williams is a top 25 talent that drops due to suspension and injury. A former wideout, he has great size and athleticism, as well has the hands to make picks.

5) Marshall ILB Mario Harvey, 5'11" 257 lbs

Depth player and special teams ace.

6) Cincinnati OC Jason Kelce, 6'3" 280 lbs

Athletic center with room to grow, he is a perfect fit for a hybrid ZBS scheme. I actually think he could make a very good short yard FB as well.

7) Colorado School of Mines NT Blaine Sumner, 6'1" 335 lbs

You all know how highly I think of this guy. Strong as an ox, and surprisingly sudden. Not a very good lateral athlete, but immovable at the point of attack. Should be able to occupy 2-3 blockers on every down with some work on technique.

Mr. Irrelevant) Minnesota QB Adam Weber, 6'1" 209 lbs

Long term stater with great athleticism. I think he makes a roster as a third QB.

As far as UDFAs, I want the Texans to take a look at some big receivers and pass rushers.
65, you know I like Watt who should play 10+ years BUT I need an impact guy. I'm just concerned that guy will not be there. I think Houston is dropping based on drug issue of some type/failed test maybe and I can't find my combine notes on him but I remember noting not to draft him. After I moved him off my board, I think I threw notes away. I'd much rather have Acho in 2nd. Enjoyed the read.

2) Georgia OLB Justin Houston, 6'3" 270 lbs[/U][/B]

I don't know these guys from Adam, so don't take this as negative critique or anything. I personally never understood why we would address Rush OLB so early in this draft.

How is this guy different from Connor Barwin or Mark Anderson, and who will we have playing the other OLB spot?

I do agree with your opinion of the CB position. Not that I have anything wrong with starting rookies, but I am not ready to give up on KJac or the thought that we will get a starting corner in FA.

But I would like to see a safety in the second round, if there is a prospective starter available.

I don't know these guys from Adam, so don't take this as negative critique or anything. I personally never understood why we would address Rush OLB so early in this draft.

How is this guy different from Connor Barwin or Mark Anderson, and who will we have playing the other OLB spot?

I do agree with your opinion of the CB position. Not that I have anything wrong with starting rookies, but I am not ready to give up on KJac or the thought that we will get a starting corner in FA.

But I would like to see a safety in the second round, if there is a prospective starter available.

Rush OLB is arguably the most important position in the 3-4. He is the guy that racks up the sacks (think Merriman; Ware; Mathews III), and provides the pressure on the QB. If you can get a good one, odds are your D is pretty decent.

Houston's workout numbers are similar to the other guys, but it is his experience in the 3-4 that really makes him the pick here. He is also stronger than the other 2. The key to a good rush OLB is acceleration (10& 20 yard splits), explosiveness (broad and vertical jumps) and agility (3-cone and shuttle). The 40 and bench press come next, but personally the 40 does not mean much to me.

It is a weak year for FS. I would like to see one earlier too, but there is just no one ranked close to Houston at the 2nd round. Also, I believe that Williams will have the best career.

65, you know I like Watt who should play 10+ years BUT I need an impact guy. I'm just concerned that guy will not be there. I think Houston is dropping based on drug issue of some type/failed test maybe and I can't find my combine notes on him but I remember noting not to draft him. After I moved him off my board, I think I threw notes away. I'd much rather have Acho in 2nd. Enjoyed the read.

I noted your opposition to Houston, but I could not resist. OLB is a need, and Houston has the experience and ability to be one of the best.

Acho is ranked as an early 3rd on my board, so it would have been a reach.

Thanks for the thoughts.

It is a weak year for FS. I would like to see one earlier too, but there is just no one ranked close to Houston at the 2nd round. Also, I believe that Williams will have the best career.

Speaking of FS - I wouldnt mind seeing the Texans drop way back in the first round and taking Aaron Williams (28 or so). They would surely get good compensation for such a drop - I'd figure a 2nd + a 4th. Maybe more.

Getting Williams there and having two second rounders allows them many more options. If one of the DT's (Taylor , Liuget or Paea) is available you can grab him along with an OLB such as Houston or Acho in round two.

That gets a lot done and still leaves seven more picks .... Or you have the option of moving back up into the first round with the picks you aquired in the move back to pick up a player you really covet - two picks for the price of one. Doesnt sound like the Texans front office tho .... maybe New England or Pittsburgh (/dies)

- Houston was talked about as high as the Texans at 11 at some points during this process. I think that getting him in the second would be a steal.

I noted your opposition to Houston, but I could not resist. OLB is a need, and Houston has the experience and ability to be one of the best.

Acho is ranked as an early 3rd on my board, so it would have been a reach.

Thanks for the thoughts.
I have Acho in 3rd also but many who responded to my posts on other threads say he will go mid to late 2nd. I doubt Texans would select Ellis with his multiple failed drug tests, but I think he will be an awesome mountain in the middle. He is rough but all I want Nose to do shut down the run and tie up a couple guys every down.

I have Acho in 3rd also but many who responded to my posts on other threads say he will go mid to late 2nd. I doubt Texans would select Ellis with his multiple failed drug tests, but I think he will be an awesome mountain in the middle. He is rough but all I want Nose to do shut down the run and tie up a couple guys every down.

yeah Ellis is too much trouble for the Texans plus he is more of a proto-typical 3-4 nose than Wade Phillips likes. If Texans like Acho & wait until the 3rd my money is on him being already selected by another team.

Back