Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rick Smith's wife has died

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
My wife and I were watching CBS local channel 11 news last night and before any audio came on the segment there instantly was an image of Rick Smith and a beautiful young woman on/near a podium and I assumed it was Rick's wife and thought this would be good news, an announcment that she was in remission.
Really my mood, my spirits lept and then we heard a voice with the announcement and I swore and my wife quietly said, a survivor of breast cancer herself now for 15 years, "yes it's a terrible disease".

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Some folks even had the audacity to question Rick Smith's departure as if it was a way to bow out without being fired. Despicable.

Hope the Smith family can find some solace in these difficult days. I cant imagine what it would be like to lose my wife and soul mate. Prayers heading your way "Tricky Ricky" .. stay up my man.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Dear Lord .... God bless you Rick. I lost my wife of 50 years, and closest friend of my life, to the same dreadful disease on December 14th. I was truly amazed and her faith, bravery, resolve, and strength of character. We live in a small town and she owned such a huge portion of so many lives. I always feel as though the Lord could've somehow made a wiser selection .... there are an unfathomable number of miserable souls to have chosen from .... I will be asking that question some day. It's the saddest part of life. My thoughts and prayers are with you Rick.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Dear Lord .... God bless you Rick. I lost my wife of 50 years, and closest friend of my life, to the same dreadful disease on December 14th. I was truly amazed and her faith, bravery, resolve, and strength of character. We live in a small town and she owned such a huge portion of so many lives. I always feel as though the Lord could've somehow made a wiser selection .... there are an unfathomable number of miserable souls to have chosen from .... I will be asking that question some day. It's the saddest part of life. My thoughts and prayers are with you Rick.
Very sorry to hear of your great loss justmy2cents, you have my condolences.

Max

Veteran
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see it as the Texans doing Rick Smith 'dirty'. I don't think that they had any intention of bringing him back once he went on leave and kept him on the payroll longer than many/most teams would have. And thank God Smith's parting gift to the Texans was to make the move to 'saddle' them with DWatson.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Wow. Firing a dude right when his wife was becoming gravely ill. That's just classless. Even the McNairs aren't "Texans worthy".

Good luck to Rick Smith as he gets back to work in the NFL. I hope he lands in a good spot. He always seemed like a solid dude.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Wow. Firing a dude right when his wife was becoming gravely ill. That's just classless. Even the McNairs aren't "Texans worthy".

Good luck to Rick Smith as he gets back to work in the NFL. I hope he lands in a good spot. He always seemed like a solid dude.
Was never a fan of Rick Smith the GM but sounds like he is a good guy off the field. Unimaginable to be treated this way

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
This news is enough to choke up anybody. I would take him back as GM if she could live. Hopefully we are nearing the time when all cancer is curable.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
It's possible the McNairs did Rick dirty, but we're only reading one side of this story. I have several reasons for skepticism.

1) Remember when the McNairs supposedly got too close to Rick Smith and made him the godfather to Cal's son? That concern was common knowledge in Houston and around the league for years. The Athletic doesn't mention it. I wonder why.

2) Bob McNair himself was fighting cancer during this period, and kept David Quessenberry on the insurance plan while he fought cancer at MD Anderson. The Athletic story didn't mention that either. Seems like significant context when you're accusing a club of lacking empathy or humanity.

3) The national writers for The Athletic now indulge in shameless bias, and have crowned themselves the supreme judge of morality in sports. Just as we see in news media, they've become more interested in destroying a target than simply conveying facts.

I subscribe to The Athletic, so every day I get their emails of anti Astros stories. Just last Thursday, February 13th, they published three anti Astros stories that day. This week they published a story of how the Nationals aren't getting their deserved post-championship spotlight because of the Astros scandal, which The Athletic themselves have been promoting!

Here's a screen capture I made of their story from yesterday. Notice the bottom sentence.

1581808083365.png

"...As only they can."

Their blanket coverage has not only been on sign stealing, it's been everything they can churn up after the Astros beat the Yankees. Every day they publish something about Brandon Taubman, the Astros culture, or some grudge by former players. Even where criticism may be deserved, they distort perspective and context while minimizing other teams doing similar things.

So don't be surprised if the Texans become one of their targets. This story about Rick Smith is consistent with the "club culture" angle they're using on the Astros. Maybe they'll revisit disputed claims about racism, or maybe a player will be busted for PED's and is portrayed as the only player in the NFL doing it. Watch for a "win at all costs" narrative.

I used to make fun of a friend for always griping about east coast bias in sports media. I thought he was paranoid. He turned out to be right.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Should have fired him in 2010 and saved themselves from this kind of post.

Classless? They gave him a yr of paid leave and kept him on their insurance. How long should they have done these things for RS? After a period of time if you keep an employee on insurance that's not working for you that becomes insurance fraud.

Truth is RS is an ungrateful/incompetent POS who the McNair's never should've hired in the 1st place.

This article is nothing more than RS looking for a way to sympathy fvck his way back into the NFL since no NFL org worth a crap would ever hire his level of politician/incompetence all rolled into this special POS.

RS should shut the he** up and go back to counting the millions the McNair's gifted his incompetent a**.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah

Classless? They gave him a yr of paid leave and kept him on their insurance. How long should they have done these things for RS? After a period of time if you keep an employee on insurance that's not working for you that becomes insurance fraud.

Truth is RS is an ungrateful/incompetent POS who the McNair's never should've hired in the 1st place.

This article is nothing more than RS looking for a way to sympathy fvck his way back into the NFL since no NFL org worth a crap would ever hire his level of politician/incompetence all rolled into this special POS.

RS should shut the he** up and go back to counting the millions the McNair's gifted his incompetent a**.
A tad bit harsher than I would have said it, but.....yes.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

"Paid leave" lmao Now you're a McNair apologist. Make up your mind, man. You're all over the place. :rake:

You do realize that Rick Smith had 3 years left on his contract? And these aren't player contracts where the team can cut and not worry about the "contract" part. F.O. contracts are structured much different.

I get it, you hate Rick Smith, so now you've got to go ad hominem in your belittling little ways. Tigers can't change stripes, so I expect nothing else from you at this point.

Show me on this doll where Rick Smith hurt you. . . :voodoo:

Rick Smith will eventually get hired. The NFL loves to recycle its coaches and F.O. personnel, and Smith has a network that he'll tap into.

At least Cal McNair has YOU on his side. :friends:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
"Paid leave" lmao Now you're a McNair apologist. Make up your mind, man. You're all over the place. :rake:

You do realize that Rick Smith had 3 years left on his contract? And these aren't player contracts where the team can cut and not worry about the "contract" part. F.O. contracts are structured much different.

I get it, you hate Rick Smith, so now you've got to go ad hominem in your belittling little ways. Tigers can't change stripes, so I expect nothing else from you at this point.

Show me on this doll where Rick Smith hurt you. . . :voodoo:

Rick Smith will eventually get hired. The NFL loves to recycle its coaches and F.O. personnel, and Smith has a network that he'll tap into.

At least Cal McNair has YOU on his side. :friends:
I dont hate anybody.

You didn't answer my question, how long should RS been kept on the insurance considering the insurance fraud thingy?

You know my dislike for the way the McNair's do business, but in this case they treated RS better than I would have. I would have flat out fired his butt since you knew at the time RS would try to pull some crap like this. Only thing that surprises me is that he hasn't played the race card yet. But there's still time for that I guess.

The only administrative job RS will ever get will be in God'ell's politicized NFL office and he will be lucky to get that. He was flat out incompetent at his job while he was here and no, that doesn't equal me hating RS. I did hate his failed REGIMES because a blind man could see he was a politician more than a football guy.

This article was nothing more than RS using his dead wife's illness to politic for another job in the NFL. That's the definition of a despicable opportunist. IMHO Why did he go this route? Because he sucked at his job.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Companies do people dirty all the time, this isn’t a Texans thing this is a corporate thing. I was safety manager for a company and I got fired because a guy got hurt in a different state that wasn’t even one of my sites but the company needed a scale goat and the project manager made them to much money.

Brisco is right though we are hearing only one side of the story from a site that has written questionable articles in the past. Good God people is the OB vs Watson and OB vs Kubiak arguing not enough now we have to stir the pot with RS vs McNairs?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Companies do people dirty all the time, this isn’t a Texans thing this is a corporate thing. I was safety manager for a company and I got fired because a guy got hurt in a different state that wasn’t even one of my sites but the company needed a scale goat and the project manager made them to much money.

Brisco is right though we are hearing only one side of the story from a site that has written questionable articles in the past. Good God people is the OB vs Watson and OB vs Kubiak arguing not enough now we have to stir the pot with RS vs McNairs?
It's just business

Agreed on all of the arguing.

I should stop engaging them.

Sorry about that.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
It's possible the McNairs did Rick dirty, but we're only reading one side of this story. I have several reasons for skepticism.

1) Remember when the McNairs supposedly got too close to Rick Smith and made him the godfather to Cal's son? That concern was common knowledge in Houston and around the league for years. The Athletic doesn't mention it. I wonder why.

2) Bob McNair himself was fighting cancer during this period, and kept David Quessenberry on the insurance plan while he fought cancer at MD Anderson. The Athletic story didn't mention that either. Seems like significant context when you're accusing a club of lacking empathy or humanity.

3) The national writers for The Athletic now indulge in shameless bias, and have crowned themselves the supreme judge of morality in sports. Just as we see in news media, they've become more interested in destroying a target than simply conveying facts.

I subscribe to The Athletic, so every day I get their emails of anti Astros stories. Just last Thursday, February 13th, they published three anti Astros stories that day. This week they published a story of how the Nationals aren't getting their deserved post-championship spotlight because of the Astros scandal, which The Athletic themselves have been promoting!

Here's a screen capture I made of their story from yesterday. Notice the bottom sentence.

View attachment 5650

"...As only they can."

Their blanket coverage has not only been on sign stealing, it's been everything they can churn up after the Astros beat the Yankees. Every day they publish something about Brandon Taubman, the Astros culture, or some grudge by former players. Even where criticism may be deserved, they distort perspective and context while minimizing other teams doing similar things.

So don't be surprised if the Texans become one of their targets. This story about Rick Smith is consistent with the "club culture" angle they're using on the Astros. Maybe they'll revisit disputed claims about racism, or maybe a player will be busted for PED's and is portrayed as the only player in the NFL doing it. Watch for a "win at all costs" narrative.

I used to make fun of a friend for always griping about east coast bias in sports media. I thought he was paranoid. He turned out to be right.
Half of this board has tried to tell me that tripe about the MSM news which is East/West Coast on political and in sports media.

It amazes me how they take any of them seriously.

Texansballer74

The Marine

These type of arguments will always go on. It’s not just on this forum but on every type of forum out there. My thing is there’s no need to drag people names in the ground. When giving your opinion, sometimes it is alright to speak on their positives. But a few are trying their best to be right and push the negative narrative. Yes every last one of these guys have their faults. I couldn’t stand Kubiaks conservative approach when his team had leads. I do not like when Watson holds onto the ball or misses his target. And I can’t stand O’Brien’s offensive philosophy. But I will continue to support them while they’re here.