Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rick Smith saved Texans from OB and how Watson was REALLY drafted

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
All false. Would have been nice if you were here when we hashed all this out.

But he fired Rick...

Ok, I'm trying to say, without saying, you don't know what you're talking about. All the coaches were fired. All of Rick's guys stayed. Rick wasn't on Kubiak's "staff" Some of those Rick guys were fired in the last 12 months.
He should've fired RS. BTW, there's a reason RS cant get another job in the NFL.

Kubiak got RS his job, but you're correct RS definitely wasn't on Kubiak's staff. When it came down to nut cutting time RS stabbed Kubiak in the back to save his own incompetent azz.

Boris

All Pro
When is the last time an avg to slightly above avg QB won a SB? Foles and he was on a hot streak playing the best football of his career.
6 times in the last 19yrs
Trent Dilfer
Brad Johnson
Eli Manning (2)
Joe Flacco
Nick Foles

also, these guys were SuperBowl starters during that period:
Rich Gannon
Jake Delhomme
Donovan McNabb
Rex Grossman
Matt Hasselbeck
Collin Kaepernick

Last edited:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
6 times in the last 19yrs
Trent Dilfer
Brad Johnson
Eli Manning (2)
Joe Flacco
Nick Foles

also, these guys were SuperBowl starters during that period:
Rich Gannon
Jake Delhomme
Donovan McNabb
Rex Grossman
Matt Hasselbeck
Collin Kaepernick
Since the Texans inception there have only been 7 different star level qb's to win the SB

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Fk Rick Smith.

Stop thinking I think Rick is a God. Better at his job than Bill O'Brien was at his. That's all I ever said.
I really dont care what you think about RS. He was incompetent and is going to end up being the main reason this will be another lost decade. BOB certainly didn't help either but RS drafted DW4 and the Texans aren't going to do anything as long as DW4's eating up 40 mil per yr of cap space. Fact is this team is going nowhere fast and if a GM/HC has a choice they wont be saying yep the Texans is a great job, sign me up for that.

Of course Cal/Pancakes/Preacherman/DW4/Wat could get extremely lucky and make great hires at the GM/HC positions. What do you think the odds of happening is? I say 10-20%.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No it's not. We're talking about a 1st round pick. Not Ricky's lack of success in rounds 2-4

Are you reading my whole reply?
Only talk about the good, dont recognize the bad. How very Texan of you. This is the attitude that permeates Kirby and one of the main reasons the Texans org is what it is today and always has been.

Yes I read your whole reply. You didn't answer the question. Deflect away.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Texans aren't going to do anything as long as DW4's eating up 40 mil per yr of cap space.
Agreed. Thankfully the moron who gave him that contract isn't with the team anymore.

Thankfully Watson isn't making $40M this year or next.

Thankfully those numbers don't mean anything that far out as they're always converted to more manageable numbers

Of course Cal/Pancakes/Preacherman/DW4/Wat could get extremely lucky and make great hires at the GM/HC positions. What do you think the odds of happening is? I say 10-20%.
Regardless who has been on the committee they've done a piss poor job filling the GM/HC position. Kubiak/Smith being the best so far.

Odds are in our favor though, they can't do much worse than the last HC/GM combo.

Yes I read your whole reply. You didn't answer the question. Deflect away.
I'm not deflecting. I never said Alex Smith won any championships. Likewise, I'm saying Watson doesn't have to win championships.

This team is so screwed that Watson just needs to be Alex Smith, until we find our championship QB.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
We're going to find out soon enough with the new regime how much wrong with the Texans offense was BOB stubborness vs DW4's talent/skill level.
Again.....just super narrow minded reply. OB or Watson.....nothing else to be taken into consideration, it's either OB or Watson solely responsible for the losses.

You absolutely think that the Texans piss-poor OL and running game couldn't be playing part in any of the results? The running game is so bad that they can't even make the worst rush defense in the NFL sweat.....and that has zero bearing of your assessment? I can accept Watson's blemishes but how many times has he handed a lead over to the defense and they failed miserably at protecting it? This is why many of the board members have no other option but to see your Watson rants as pure hate versus a fair wide-scope evaluation. There are far more moving parts to this offense than Watson.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Again.....just super narrow minded reply. OB or Watson.....nothing else to be taken into consideration, it's either OB or Watson solely responsible for the losses.

You absolutely think that the Texans piss-poor OL and running game couldn't be playing part in any of the results? The running game is so bad that they can't even make the worst rush defense in the NFL sweat.....and that has zero bearing of your assessment? I can accept Watson's blemishes but how many times has he handed a lead over to the defense and they failed miserably at protecting it? This is why many of the board members have no other option but to see your Watson rants as pure hate versus a fair wide-scope evaluation. There are far more moving parts to this offense than Watson.
How many comebacks have they had this yr for the defenses to blow leads?

Agreed there are many things wrong. But some posters are already setting up excuses for when the next HC/DW4 relationship fails.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Only in your mind... you're the only one considering that
It's not only in my mind, look at some of the responses I've gotten,

Ok it's all BOB's fault with what's wrong with Texans. Then I ask if the next HC gets fired within 5 yrs what will the excuses be then and you need to go look at some of the responses. The way the narrative is being set up if DW4's not successful it will all be on the new HC with very little responsibility on DW4's shoulders even though he had a voice in who the new HC is.

I'm going to move on now because I cant stop laughing at some people and the backflips they try to do to bolster their debating points.

OptimisticTexan

It's not only in my mind, look at some of the responses I've gotten,

Ok it's all BOB's fault with what's wrong with Texans. Then I ask if the next HC gets fired within 5 yrs what will the excuses be then and you need to go look at some of the responses. The way the narrative is being set up if DW4's not successful it will all be on the new HC with very little responsibility on DW4's shoulders even though he had a voice in who the new HC is.

I'm going to move on now because I cant stop laughing at some people and the backflips they try to do to bolster their debating points.
No back flips needed b/c you failed to address the full situation. Your standpoint, what if the Texans don't win......shouldn't it be on Watson for the "TEAMS" failure, right?

Do you ever take into consideration the what-if's with the new GM and HC? What if they fail to do well in the draft? What if they fail to improve the OL? What if they fail to find a running game? What if the new offensive scheme still demands that the TE's primary roll is to be an extension of the OL? What if the new GM doesn't find or manage to keep the right WR's? What if the defense doesn't get the proper talent to hold a lead? What if Fairbairn continues to miss crucial XP's and FG's and the new FO wants to keep him? What if they can't manage the salary cap?

In all honesty, there are so many things that need to be addressed on the Texans that predicting failure by the new GM and HC would all be on Watson b/c he's a GM/HC killer is rediculous. The biggest failure would be to once again watch the McNair's make bad choices and then let them fester for 5+ years.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No back flips needed b/c you failed to address the full situation. Your standpoint, what if the Texans don't win......shouldn't it be on Watson for the "TEAMS" failure, right?

Do you ever take into consideration the what-if's with the new GM and HC? What if they fail to do well in the draft? What if they fail to improve the OL? What if they fail to find a running game? What if the new offensive scheme still demands that the TE's primary roll is to be an extension of the OL? What if the new GM doesn't find or manage to keep the right WR's? What if the defense doesn't get the proper talent to hold a lead? What if Fairbairn continues to miss crucial XP's and FG's and the new FO wants to keep him? What if they can't manage the salary cap?

In all honesty, there are so many things that need to be addressed on the Texans that predicting failure by the new GM and HC would all be on Watson b/c he's a GM/HC killer is rediculous. The biggest failure would be to once again watch the McNair's make bad choices and then let them fester for 5+ years.
DW4 is going to get the guy he wants to be HC. So if all of this fails DW4 got his guy and it failed. No more excuses. Also take into account that when things go right like they did in the Lions game some on here want to say any success is because of DW4 and only DW4. So it only stands to reason that if he doesn't do well like against the Browns/Packers he should also bear the responsibility for failure. But that's not how some have tried to frame this debate.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

DW4 is going to get the guy he wants to be HC. So if all of this fails DW4 got his guy and it failed. No more excuses.
You absolutely have zero proof or facts that Watson will be the guy selecting his next HC. Next, in your world...is Watson going to be in on the coaching staff selection? This is just as imperative as the HC selection itself. If Watson's HC hires an awful staff what is the expected success rate?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You absolutely have zero proof or facts that Watson will be the guy selecting his next HC. Next, in your world...is Watson going to be in on the coaching staff selection? This is just as imperative as the HC selection itself. If Watson's HC hires an awful staff what is the expected success rate?
He is on the hiring committee.

Depends on how good of a staff DW4's guy can hire.

Lets put it this way if DW4 doesn't want a potential GM/HC then that candidate wont get the job. Do you think Cal will tell DW4 we aren't going to hire the guy you want as GM/HC?

Fact is, forgetting about DW4 no young player should have that much power.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

He is on the hiring committee.

Depends on how good of a staff DW4's guy can hire.

Lets put it this way if DW4 doesn't want a potential GM/HC then that candidate wont get the job. Do you think Cal will tell DW4 we aren't going to hire the guy you want as GM/HC?

Fact is, forgetting about DW4 no young player should have that much power.
What if the committee doesn't back Watson's selection?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
What if the committee doesn't back Watson's selection?
Do you really think a committee of pansies like Cal/Pancakes/Esteregg are going to go against DW4's wishes? LMAO
Does raise an interesting point, would Cal be willing to go against his star player and not hire the guy he most wants. And if they don’t hire the guy he wants will there be hard feeling and will Watson play as hard for someone else? No real way to be sure as to answer would require knowing the people involved on a more personal level than any here have but it’s an interesting question.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Do you really think a committee of pansies like Cal/Pancakes/Esteregg are going to go against DW4's wishes? LMAO
No chance of them not siding with Watson. Cal is not going to tell Watson no. Simple as that. I don't care what side you want to stand on as far as is Watson great or is he average. And all that stuff. He has to have seen what Watson did on social media after the Hopkins trade. He just backed up a dump truck of money for his contact... Cal is not going to make a choice Watson is not in agreement with. If you think you are, then I have some swamp land in Arizona to sell.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
No chance of them not siding with Watson. Cal is not going to tell Watson no. Simple as that. I don't care what side you want to stand on as far as is Watson great or is he average. And all that stuff. He has to have seen what Watson did on social media after the Hopkins trade. He just backed up a dump truck of money for his contact... Cal is not going to make a choice Watson is not in agreement with. If you think you are, then I have some swamp land in Arizona to sell.
Just because I have to be "that guy".

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Same thing with steelb. I mean he has this Mahomes theory. He also stated RS was holding BOB back. It's the same song.
He wasn't only holding BOB back. His lack of drafting accumen held the franchise back. This also included the Kubiak yrs. RS was a politician just as much as he was a GM. The Godfather

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
He wasn't only holding BOB back. His lack of drafting accumen held the franchise back. This also included the Kubiak yrs. RS was a politician just as much as he was a GM. The Godfather
This is always it with you. You dont give Smith any credit for the gems, but he get all the blame for the failures. I'm not here to defend Smith, but you conveniently leave that parr out. He could've been better in the middle rounds, thats a given, but gms get fired quickly for missing on 1st rd picks. Even as poor as the perception may be, you leave out the Glover Quinn, DJ, Bouye, Foster, Ben Jones, Brandon Brooks and others. Under OBrien, the coaching staff has developed players at a negative rate.

OptimisticTexan

For me......there hasn't been one GM or HC that deserves props or to have fans trying to argue in their favor. I really think the only guy who deserved a little consideration was Gaine.....only we didn't get to see him long term since his tenure was cut short.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Why is that a fair answer to you? Posting links is as easy as turning on a computer. Claiming you don't know how to post links just tells me you want free reign to post anything w/o providing proof.
Because its not important enough for me to care so if he doesn't do it just because he doesn't want to then so what. This isn't a court and we're not lawyers so why should he or anybody have to provide proof? I only do it in my posts not because I think I'm going to change the mind of the person I replied to but for outsiders looking in. It was the first thing I learned about debating is you are not debating to change the other person's mind, because you will never do that, you are debating for anyone that maybe on the fence and to sharpen your own points and strengthen your own case. In other words I provide proof and do my research because for me personally anything less would make me feel stupid and unprepared, if someone else feels differently then so be it.

If he wants to post without any proof why would you or anybody that disagrees with him be upset about that? It just causes those outside observers I mentioned to take his points less seriously so therefore makes your job easier. Unless you actually thought you might change his mind, in which case you are fighting an up hill battle. Arguing with Steel is like wrestling a pig in the mud, the pig likes it and doesn't want to stop so either you stop or you learn to like it yourself. I learned to like the mud long before I came here so for me it was just another play pen. :shades:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
For me......there hasn't been one GM or HC that deserves props or to have fans trying to argue in their favor. I really think the only guy who deserved a little consideration was Gaine.....only we didn't get to see him long term since his tenure was cut short.
Gaine would’ve had us under Clowney for 3 years 20 per. It’s also important to note that after leaving us he hasn’t gotten a GM look since.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Because its not important enough for me to care so if he doesn't do it just because he doesn't want to then so what. This isn't a court and we're not lawyers so why should he or anybody have to provide proof? I only do it in my posts not because I think I'm going to change the mind of the person I replied to but for outsiders looking in. It was the first thing I learned about debating is you are not debating to change the other person's mind, because you will never do that, you are debating for anyone that maybe on the fence and to sharpen your own points and strengthen your own case. In other words I provide proof and do my research because for me personally anything less would make me feel stupid and unprepared, if someone else feels differently then so be it.

If he wants to post without any proof why would you or anybody that disagrees with him be upset about that? It just causes those outside observers I mentioned to take his points less seriously so therefore makes your job easier. Unless you actually thought you might change his mind, in which case you are fighting an up hill battle. Arguing with Steel is like wrestling a pig in the mud, the pig likes it and doesn't want to stop so either you stop or you learn to like it yourself. I learned to like the mud long before I came here so for me it was just another play pen. :shades:
That is fair. Just gets annoying that someone constantly makes statements as facts, but when ask for proof, the response is "I don't know how?"... when getting that proof is extremely easy. It's ok, I have moved on as he's lost all credibility with me.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This is always it with you. You dont give Smith any credit for the gems, but he get all the blame for the failures. I'm not here to defend Smith, but you conveniently leave that parr out. He could've been better in the middle rounds, thats a given, but gms get fired quickly for missing on 1st rd picks. Even as poor as the perception may be, you leave out the Glover Quinn, DJ, Bouye, Foster, Ben Jones, Brandon Brooks and others. Under OBrien, the coaching staff has developed players at a negative rate.
He was very good at 1st rd picks.

The decade plus track record he has on picks in rds 2-4 speak volumes. Plus his reupping of Schaub despite CnD telling how that was going to turn out and against Kubiak's wishes as well. RS should own his track record over a 12 yr period. Instead he beats his chest about how DW4 was his pick after he plays well against a Lions team that had quit on their HC. BTW, and I know you disagree with me but DW4 while he's a good QB, I dont see him as a great QB just because he puts up stats against bad teams.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That is fair. Just gets annoying that someone constantly makes statements as facts, but when ask for proof, the response is "I don't know how?"... when getting that proof is extremely easy. It's ok, I have moved on as he's lost all credibility with me.
You can always look it up for yourself.

If you choose not too, that's on you,

I'm not changing the way I do things to make you happy. Maybe this is because I dont care if you think I'm credible or not. Take my posts what they're worth.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

A man who gets it.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Should always be on the person making the claim to provide the evidence.

It really doesn't get any more reasonable an idea than that.

Otherwise those claims have absolutely no value and then what's the point.

texanhead08

All Pro
He should've fired RS. BTW, there's a reason RS cant get another job in the NFL.

Kubiak got RS his job, but you're correct RS definitely wasn't on Kubiak's staff. When it came down to nut cutting time RS stabbed Kubiak in the back to save his own incompetent azz.

I said at the time they both needed to go because they were joined at the hip. Ole Ricky got in with the McNair's by that point and they wouldn't fire him.

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone
What do Rick smith and fat Travolta have in common? Both only good for one round.

rick in the draft
Fat Travolta in the playoffs

as bad as RS was a GM, fat Travolta was far WORSE. CalMcnumbnuts needs to fire Jack Osteen-sterby or make him head of concessions where he can’t F schit up like the incompetent tea pot.