Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rick Smith saved Texans from OB and how Watson was REALLY drafted

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Why would a HC come here? Because there are only 32 of these jobs out there and pretty much everyone of them hiring is a dumpster fire. Take the Jets for example, if things go according to plan they will draft Trevor and hire a new HC. You really think a HC isnt going to go there because he didnt get to pick who was drafted?

TK used Detroit as an example but i have another. The Browns, in their csse the QB literally did get to pick the HC and he lasted one year. After that they were still able to find a new HC no problem even seeing how much power the QB has.
And yet the Browns have more than 1 turn them down for a HC/GM job

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If true it could lend some insight into the way that OB “coached” Watson. Not that he intentionally tried to sabotage him, but if DW wasn’t the guy he wanted because he didn’t fit his vision of a qb, that might be why he has hasn’t progressed the way that he should have as an nfl qb. Not coaching to your guys strengths and weaknesses and all that jazz....

Not only does that matter to me, but it should matter to the organization when evaluating what needs to be done going forward.

Most people could see this **** show coming from a mile away and didn’t need to touch the stove to know it’s hot, but hopefully for the Texans experience is the best teacher.
Or maybe DW4'S just not that good.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Why would a HC come here? Because there are only 32 of these jobs out there and pretty much everyone of them hiring is a dumpster fire. Take the Jets for example, if things go according to plan they will draft Trevor and hire a new HC. You really think a HC isnt going to go there because he didnt get to pick who was drafted?

TK used Detroit as an example but i have another. The Browns, in their csse the QB literally did get to pick the HC and he lasted one year. After that they were still able to find a new HC no problem even seeing how much power the QB has.
The QB picking the HC didn't work out to well. I suspect the same will happen with the Texans this time around.

BTW, yes the Browns were able to hire another HC. Whether he's a good/great HC remains to be seen.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You mean like Mallett, Osweiler or Savage?

I tell you what, I’m in the minority but I think Osweiler was catching on. That Div game against the Patriots, he played well enough for us to win.

But BO’b couldn’t be an adult & find a way to coexist. & so we waste more money, more capital
You think Is was remotely good?

Look at what he did after he left Houston, it wasn't good.

You're only as good as what you have to work with.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
You think Is was remotely good?

Look at what he did after he left Houston, it wasn't good.

You're only as good as what you have to work with.
O'Brien got us to the divisional round with him. I'm not saying he's good or bad, but I would have been interested in seeing him in his 2nd year with O'Brien.

Kurt Warner has been on my mind lately. Great in St Louis, bad in New York, Great in Arizona.

So I don't know just because Oz didn't make it in Cleveland means what you think it means. Oz won in Denver, won in Houston... he "fit" O'brien's QB mold on the field. That's all I'm saying.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
O'Brien got us to the divisional round with him. I'm not saying he's good or bad, but I would have been interested in seeing him in his 2nd year with O'Brien.

Kurt Warner has been on my mind lately. Great in St Louis, bad in New York, Great in Arizona.

So I don't know just because Oz didn't make it in Cleveland means what you think it means. Oz won in Denver, won in Houston... he "fit" O'brien's QB mold on the field. That's all I'm saying.
Oz won in really just the New England game in Denver and you can argue there were several factors that helped with that. A SB winning defense, NE had game planned for a game manger Manning not an aggressive QB like Oz was and the fact it was in Denver which playing there is always harder on teams due to weather and altitude. Not saying Oz didn’t play his part but wasn’t the next game that he was benched?

Also it wasn’t just the Browns he got bumped to Miami and even back to Denver and even though neither had even close to a good QB they still used Oz just as a backup and not a backup they trusted either. I agree he fit OB mold but so did Savage, Mallet and even Hoyer. Even in the best of times OB never showed he had an eye for QB talent.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Oz won in really just the New England game in Denver and you can argue there were several factors that helped with that. A SB winning defense, NE had game planned for a game manger Manning not an aggressive QB like Oz was and the fact it was in Denver which playing there is always harder on teams due to weather and altitude. Not saying Oz didn’t play his part but wasn’t the next game that he was benched?

Also it wasn’t just the Browns he got bumped to Miami and even back to Denver and even though neither had even close to a good QB they still used Oz just as a backup and not a backup they trusted either. I agree he fit OB mold but so did Savage, Mallet and even Hoyer. Even in the best of times OB never showed he had an eye for QB talent.
Maybe BOB had an eye for QB talent. He wanted Mahomes, but the GM wouldn't get him the QB he wanted. Look at the GM's over a decade long record when it comes to acquiring QBs.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Also it wasn’t just the Browns he got bumped to Miami and even back to Denver
I'm not arguing Oz was a good QB.

It was stated O'Brien would have done better with a pocket passer. I listed the three pocket passers we had on the team during O'Briens tenure.

I thought there was promise there with Oz, Mallett too really. But the point was that BO'bs ego screwed it all to heck. So it doesn't matter. O'Briens personal pick (Hoyer), preferred type (Mallett, Oz, Savage), not BO'bs type (Watson) he was his own worst enemy.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm not arguing Oz was a good QB.

It was stated O'Brien would have done better with a pocket passer. I listed the three pocket passers we had on the team during O'Briens tenure.

I thought there was promise there with Oz, Mallett too really. But the point was that BO'bs ego screwed it all to heck. So it doesn't matter. O'Briens personal pick (Hoyer), preferred type (Mallett, Oz, Savage), not BO'bs type (Watson) he was his own worst enemy.
Yep, bad QB play will get a HC fired every time.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
There was an interview between Adam Schefter & Ricky, link posted in a thread somewhere, before the draft, no one wanted to use two firsts to move up to get any QB.

Bob may have wanted Mahomes, but not at any cost
Apparently the not at any cost was a 3rd Rd pick and RS chose not to give up what it took to get Mahomes.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
There was an interview between Adam Schefter & Ricky, link posted in a thread somewhere, before the draft, no one wanted to use two firsts to move up to get any QB.

Bob may have wanted Mahomes, but not at any cost
Let’s be fair here that interview was strictly RS version of things and really made him out to be the hero and savior of Houston football. Timing is interesting as well seeing it was done after OB has been fired and declared public enemy number one and Texans are looking to hire a GM.

It could very well be true but let’s not pretend it’s a fair and unbiased account or that the timing isn’t highly suspect. I’m sure if they interviewed OB his version of things would be entirely different.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Let’s be fair here that interview was strictly RS version of things and really made him out to be the hero and savior of Houston football. Timing is interesting as well seeing it was done after OB has been fired and declared public enemy number one and Texans are looking to hire a GM.

It could very well be true but let’s not pretend it’s a fair and unbiased account or that the timing isn’t highly suspect. I’m sure if they interviewed OB his version of things would be entirely different.
I'm sure RS is a snake oil salesman

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
How do you think O'Briens version would go? That he had to convince the room to trade up to 12 & Rick just happens to look like king of the world in that picture?

I understand what you are saying. I know it's one sided. But I'm thinking more about what isn't said.

No one else in the room was excited about Watson.

Mahomes coming off the board at 10 didn't affect the room.

Before the draft the word was Mahomes & Watson would be low 1st round picks if not early 2nd.

I don't doubt O'Brien preferred Mahomes, but that doesn't mean he thought he was worth the 10th overall or 26th overall pick.

& like I said. My main take away is after the owner told them to get a QB, I find it odd there wasn't more support for trading up (regardless which QB they wanted).

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Do you have any thing stating otherwise? That O'Brien wanted to trade up? That O'Brien wanted to get Mahomes at 26?

I'm open to hearing O'Briens story.
You will have to hear BOB's side of the story. Pancakes said BOB wanted to trade up for Mahomes and RS wanted DW4. I guess we saw who won that battle. Look on the faces in the pic. A pic is worth 1,000 words. You can choose to believe RS or not. I'm sure you know where I stand on this topic.

That article was nothing more than RS lobbying for another GM job. Which I hope he gets because I'm looking forward to witnessing another trainwreck. He had over a decade and 2 different HC's he was the only constant but the results remained the same. Why did he have trouble working with both Kubiak (Who helped RS get the GM job only to have RS stab him in the back.) and BOB? There's a reason RS cant get another GM job.

Last edited:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
How do you think O'Briens version would go? That he had to convince the room to trade up to 12 & Rick just happens to look like king of the world in that picture?

I understand what you are saying. I know it's one sided. But I'm thinking more about what isn't said.

No one else in the room was excited about Watson.

Mahomes coming off the board at 10 didn't affect the room.

Before the draft the word was Mahomes & Watson would be low 1st round picks if not early 2nd.

I don't doubt O'Brien preferred Mahomes, but that doesn't mean he thought he was worth the 10th overall or 26th overall pick.

& like I said. My main take away is after the owner told them to get a QB, I find it odd there wasn't more support for trading up (regardless which QB they wanted).
I think OB version would go more of that they couldn’t agree on a QB and either RS said I’ll draft whoever is left or I want Watson and I’m going to draft Watson.

I have always felt that RS looked like the king of the world because he got he QB he wanted and OB looked pissed because he didn’t get the one he wanted. I don’t buy the line that RS was the only one willing to trade up because I don’t know what drafts you were reading but all of them I saw that had any credibility at all said it was a 2 horse race between Watson and Trubisky and then after Mahomes blew people away in the combine it became a 3 horse race.

I can’t think of anyone that really thought any of those 3 would be there second round.

Something else as to why I think RS looked so happy and it goes back to what he said it an interview a couple of years ago either right before or right after his wife died. He said that he and OB had different visions for the team and he planned to go to McNair and lay down his vision. Unspoken in that was that it would be him or OB and if Watson was the QB RS wanted but not OB then that strengthen ps his argument of “Look we have a franchise QB now but not a HC that knows what to do with him or even wants him. Let me find a guy that can take us where we want to go.”

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
You will have to hear BOB's side of the story. Pancakes said BOB wanted to trade up for Mahomes and RS wanted DW4.
No. Pancakes said BO’b wanted Mahomes, Rick wanted Watson. Not that either wanted to trade up.

After the fact, we know that we traded up to get Watson. But only after Mahomes was off the board. We don’t know who they would have picked if they traded up to 8, or if Mahomes was there at 12.

Shouldn’t matter. You yourself said if the GM could evaluate talent he should pick the players & the coach should coach the player. Again you yourself said Rick Smith was good at drafting in the first round. Bottom line, O’Brien got a good QB.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think OB version would go more of that they couldn’t agree on a QB and either RS said I’ll draft whoever is left or I want Watson and I’m going to draft Watson.
It would make sense to me, if Rick had said, “We wanted to move up in the draft to get a QB. Best I could do was 12. Then we had to wait to see if our player was there.”

We’ve heard the Duane Brown story, we’ve heard the Jj Watt story. I don’t see how it hurts Rick’s case to say, we all knew we needed to trade up.

It’s the same thing to say I was the only one who wanted DeShaun.

But he says before the draft they didn’t plan to trade up for a QB. During the draft he says he couldn’t get support to trade up, even before Mahomes comes off the board, still after Mahomes, no support to trade up.

Given what you are saying, Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson were the QBs to get, don’t you find it odd there wasn’t much support to trade up for the last QB on the board?

Looking at that picture, does it fit Rick’s story?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
It would make sense to me, if Rick had said, “We wanted to move up in the draft to get a QB. Best I could do was 12. Then we had to wait to see if our player was there.”

We’ve heard the Duane Brown story, we’ve heard the Jj Watt story. I don’t see how it hurts Rick’s case to say, we all knew we needed to trade up.

It’s the same thing to say I was the only one who wanted DeShaun.

But he says before the draft they didn’t plan to trade up for a QB. During the draft he says he couldn’t get support to trade up, even before Mahomes comes off the board, still after Mahomes, no support to trade up.

Given what you are saying, Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson were the QBs to get, don’t you find it odd there wasn’t much support to trade up for the last QB on the board?

Looking at that picture, does it fit Rick’s story?
Picture fits my story to, OB didn’t get the QB he wanted so he settled on what RS wanted. Also saying they didn’t plan to trade up before the draft is a very broad statement. Does that mean it changed mid draft? And when did it change, after Chicago moved up, after KC moved up, did it change because those two were taken or was it on draft day they knew QBs were going higher than they first thought?

As far as saying “Best I could do is 12.” that would be an extremely stupid statement on his part if he ever wants to be a GM or not because you can always move up higher if you are willing to pay the price and find a seller and seeing as KC jumped over us clearly there were sellers.

Finally who did he need support from? He makes it sound as if he was the lone man standing there calling for a certain player like against everyone else. I saw that movie, it was called Draft Day with Kevin Costner. We’ve all said for years now McNair was telling RS to go get a QB, that’s why they paid a king’s ransom for Oz and now RS says no one supported him moving up? If he had said no one supported him moving up for Watson ok that I might can see but not moving up at all?

The picture shows RS happy and OB not. That goes with either story and makes sense with both points of view. The rest of the people in that picture don’t matter because they had very little say anyway and they might have just been unhappy because working at a place where you have two bosses and both can fire you and both want different things always sucks.

I wish we had a picture of the McNairs, Bob in particular, when the call went through. That would tell us more.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Picture fits my story to, OB didn’t get the QB he wanted so he settled on what RS wanted.
I'm not arguing that. I've already said at least twice it was reported BO'b wanted Mahomes, Rick wanted Watson.

Also saying they didn’t plan to trade up before the draft is a very broad statement. Does that mean it changed mid draft? And when did it change, after Chicago moved up, after KC moved up, did it change because those two were taken or was it on draft day they knew QBs were going higher than they first thought?
Exactly. Those are the questions I said his story raised.

As far as saying “Best I could do is 12.” that would be an extremely stupid statement on his part if he ever wants to be a GM or not because you can always move up higher if you are willing to pay the price and find a seller and seeing as KC jumped over us clearly there were sellers.
Well, that is what he said. The best he could do was 12.

Surely that takes into account what he was willing to give up.

If he had said no one supported him moving up for Watson ok that I might can see but not moving up at all?
Agree. Sounds like he left that part of the story out.

To add to the discussion, let's say in 2014 BO'b wanted Jimmy Garropolo (we pretty much accept this is true). Does that mean BO'b would have drafted Jimmy G 1st overall? 2nd overall? 3rd? We really don't know.

So to say BO'b wanted to trade to 8 or 10 to get Mahomes isn't necessarily true either. At the time, he might not have wanted to give up the draft picks he'd need to to get him. I remember asking before that draft, how high would you be willing to trade up.

No one answered. After the fact, "I'd have traded up to 8" is all I heard & really after the fact is a BS answer anyway. I've got nothing against someone saying they'll do it, don't get me wrong. But say it before & don't Monday morning whatever your GM did do is my point.

But yes, I find it interesting (& very unbelievable) that trading up to get a QB in that draft was a last minute decision. Had Mahomes & Watson been off the board, we'd have traded up to 12 to get Mitch Trubisky.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Apparently the not at any cost was a 3rd Rd pick and RS chose not to give up what it took to get Mahomes.
This is true. Seeing Smith (and it has been said by Smith himself) that he loved Watson. And he DID trade up to get him. But not for Mahomes... Kinda like when he told B. McNair they should get Brock and they did. And OB wasn't in the loop. Even Smith said that and OB found out after the paperwork was done. Again, the choice of Smith was taken over everything. Smith was all but family to Bob. He is even Cal's son's godfather...that should be a hint of the pull he had. Of the Kubes staff, only Smith was still holding a position when Bob fired Kubes & his staff.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I'm not arguing that. I've already said at least twice it was reported BO'b wanted Mahomes, Rick wanted Watson.

Exactly. Those are the questions I said his story raised.

Well, that is what he said. The best he could do was 12.

Surely that takes into account what he was willing to give up.

Agree. Sounds like he left that part of the story out.

To add to the discussion, let's say in 2014 BO'b wanted Jimmy Garropolo (we pretty much accept this is true). Does that mean BO'b would have drafted Jimmy G 1st overall? 2nd overall? 3rd? We really don't know.

So to say BO'b wanted to trade to 8 or 10 to get Mahomes isn't necessarily true either. At the time, he might not have wanted to give up the draft picks he'd need to to get him. I remember asking before that draft, how high would you be willing to trade up.

No one answered. After the fact, "I'd have traded up to 8" is all I heard & really after the fact is a BS answer anyway. I've got nothing against someone saying they'll do it, don't get me wrong. But say it before & don't Monday morning whatever your GM did do is my point.

But yes, I find it interesting (& very unbelievable) that trading up to get a QB in that draft was a last minute decision. Had Mahomes & Watson been off the board, we'd have traded up to 12 to get Mitch Trubisky.
The other question that it raises is did OB truly see one QB as good as another? Vaguely recall something about that in regards to Jimmy G and Savage but not sure so not willing to state it as fact. Or did he truly think Mahomes was the best choice? There are a couple of things here that don’t make sense to me.

We are told that OB wanted Mahomes but there was nothing in Mahomes resume that just screams “This is the kind of QB Bill O’Brien loves” other than Mahomes is a bit less of a duel threat and a bit more of a big arm QB than Watson is. However the difference between the two isn’t that great and Mahomes will leave a pocket just as Fast as Watson but where Watson will tuck and run Mahomes will keep looking for the pass. This is not something we have seen or was known about until both got into the NFL though so I can’t buy that OB saw that before anyone else did.

Now on the other side it doesn’t make sense to me this idea that OB valued those draft picks so much that he didn’t want to trade because we have seen the exact opposite. He gladly sent two 1st for Tunsil a LT but he wouldn’t spend that on a QB? A guy with a rep, deserved or not, as a QB guru? Also he traded Hopkins away for peanuts so he wasn’t worried about getting draft capital there. Nothing in OB’s history says he valued drafts or rookies over vets so this idea that he wanted to keep those picks goes against his MO.

Like I said before I really hope someone does an interview with OB because I would love to hear his side of things.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
The other question that it raises is did OB truly see one QB as good as another? Vaguely recall something about that in regards to Jimmy G and Savage but not sure so not willing to state it as fact. Or did he truly think Mahomes was the best choice? There are a couple of things here that don’t make sense to me.

We are told that OB wanted Mahomes but there was nothing in Mahomes resume that just screams “This is the kind of QB Bill O’Brien loves” other than Mahomes is a bit less of a duel threat and a bit more of a big arm QB than Watson is. However the difference between the two isn’t that great and Mahomes will leave a pocket just as Fast as Watson but where Watson will tuck and run Mahomes will keep looking for the pass. This is not something we have seen or was known about until both got into the NFL though so I can’t buy that OB saw that before anyone else did.

Now on the other side it doesn’t make sense to me this idea that OB valued those draft picks so much that he didn’t want to trade because we have seen the exact opposite. He gladly sent two 1st for Tunsil a LT but he wouldn’t spend that on a QB? A guy with a rep, deserved or not, as a QB guru? Also he traded Hopkins away for peanuts so he wasn’t worried about getting draft capital there. Nothing in OB’s history says he valued drafts or rookies over vets so this idea that he wanted to keep those picks goes against his MO.

Like I said before I really hope someone does an interview with OB because I would love to hear his side of things.
He saw Mahomes big arm and size and liked it. Mahomes is what 20lbs or so bigger than Watson. And Watson has been said to be injury prone due to size (scouting reports) and many wanted him to bulk up some... including OB.

As to why we didn't move a pick or a few...Rick Smith was running the show. He wants Watson and he traded to get him. Same with Clowney it has been said. OB didn't dislike the guy but he was more interested in a true OLB/Edge or DE. OB was said to be after Mack (OLB and then some DE ability...turns out can play both well. Clowney, DE and amazing athletic ability.(wish The Bull Pen was still around to get the article from). Again look at pictures and videos and Smith is jumping for joy and the rest of the draft room is just sitting. This happened because Smith went over OB to Bob and once he did Bob sided with him.

So no Mahomes and Clowney over Mack can be summed up to 2 words

Rick Smith (running the show)

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
LMAO!!! :spit:

He's also the owner that made O'Brien the freakin' GM and let him trade HoF talent for next to nothing (because his mommy was offended by the player's cultural background). This was after a 51-7 meltdown in the postseason. Cal was rewarding failure. And he gets praised for it. The stupidity level is toxic.

Cal gets no pass. He's a rube right now. Firing a coach 4 games into a season that he just made GM a few months ago reveals an utter lack of comprehension with regards to running football operations. He's in over his head, Master of Business Administration degree from Rice University be damned.

This football team needs a leader of men. Instead, they have Cal McNair and his mom. Good luck with that.
True dat !

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Well, we're talking about trading draft picks for a rookie, so it's not like he's chasing a veteran at that time.

I do agree that doesn't match what we've seen lately, but back then it was a different time. Maybe he didn't want to make that decision. Maybe his seat wasn't as hot back then.

All the draft picks he traded away lately seemed more out of desperation.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Kinda like when he told B. McNair they should get Brock and they did. And OB wasn't in the loop. Even Smith said that and OB found out after the paperwork was done.
All false. Would have been nice if you were here when we hashed all this out.

Smith was all but family to Bob. He is even Cal's son's godfather...that should be a hint of the pull he had.
But he fired Rick...

Of the Kubes staff, only Smith was still holding a position when Bob fired Kubes & his staff.
Ok, I'm trying to say, without saying, you don't know what you're talking about. All the coaches were fired. All of Rick's guys stayed. Rick wasn't on Kubiak's "staff" Some of those Rick guys were fired in the last 12 months.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
All false. Would have been nice if you were here when we hashed all this out.

But he fired Rick...

Ok, I'm trying to say, without saying, you don't know what you're talking about. All the coaches were fired. All of Rick's guys stayed. Rick wasn't on Kubiak's "staff" Some of those Rick guys were fired in the last 12 months.
Ah simpler times.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No. Pancakes said BO’b wanted Mahomes, Rick wanted Watson. Not that either wanted to trade up.

After the fact, we know that we traded up to get Watson. But only after Mahomes was off the board. We don’t know who they would have picked if they traded up to 8, or if Mahomes was there at 12.

Shouldn’t matter. You yourself said if the GM could evaluate talent he should pick the players & the coach should coach the player. Again you yourself said Rick Smith was good at drafting in the first round. Bottom line, O’Brien got a good QB.
Drafting good only in the 1st Rd doesn't make a good talent evaluator. Rds 2-4 are where teams are built. 12 yrs of RS should have taught all of us this.

I'm still not convinced DW4'S the savior many around these parts think he is.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Drafting good only in the 1st Rd doesn't make a good talent evaluator. Rds 2-4 are where teams are built. 12 yrs of RS should have taught all of us this.
Not relevant to this discussion.
I'm still not convinced DW4'S the savior many around these parts think he is.
He doesn’t have to be. This team is an 18 year old joke. Kinda like KC before Alex Smith.

We don’t need Watson to be Mahomes. He could be our Alex Smith.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Not relevant to this discussion.

He doesn’t have to be. This team is an 18 year old joke. Kinda like KC before Alex Smith.

We don’t need Watson to be Mahomes. He could be our Alex Smith.
Any above average QB can win a super bowl with the proper supporting cast. Watson is far more than above average, but he needs help from the rest of the team and organization that he hasn't been getting. Which includes a respectable defense.

texanhead08

All Pro
BOB was so on board with the Watson picked that he started Tom Savage in the first game and pulled him at halftime when Stevie Wonder could see the guy was trash.

Cal doesn't get a pass either, because he sat in the room and watched BOB pout and still gave him the keys to the kingdom.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Think about it. With pocket QBs, some cast offs. OB made the playoffs. What if he had a legit Matt Schaub type QB? Pre injury that is
I agree and have always said that OB preference was big arm, pocket QBs. However that doesn’t give him a pass on not adjusting the scheme to fit what he has. That’s what good coaches do they adapt best they can and work with what they’ve got. If OB couldn’t get past his love of pocket passers than he should have brought in an OC that could game plan for a duel threat. It’s a hard lesson for a first time manager to learn that you don’t have to be everything or know everything. You bring in the best people you can and then steer the ship as a whole.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
So this is the first time I've watched / listened to this video - Its misleading to say the least.

Rick said who want's a QB and no one spoke up ....
That's a crock of horse manure.

Rick was given a mandate by Bob McNair - Get a top QB in this draft. No Excuses.

Yes - Rick wanted Watson. He got his guy. Yes , Rick and OB were at odds over who that choice should be.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Any above average QB can win a super bowl with the proper supporting cast. Watson is far more than above average, but he needs help from the rest of the team and organization that he hasn't been getting. Which includes a respectable defense.
Well said

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I agree and have always said that OB preference was big arm, pocket QBs. However that doesn’t give him a pass on not adjusting the scheme to fit what he has. That’s what good coaches do they adapt best they can and work with what they’ve got. If OB couldn’t get past his love of pocket passers than he should have brought in an OC that could game plan for a duel threat. It’s a hard lesson for a first time manager to learn that you don’t have to be everything or know everything. You bring in the best people you can and then steer the ship as a whole.
We're going to find out soon enough with the new regime how much wrong with the Texans offense was BOB stubborness vs DW4's talent/skill level.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
When is the last time an avg to slightly above avg QB won a SB? Foles and he was on a hot streak playing the best football of his career.