Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Rick Smith Pre-Draft Press Conference

OK, so I'll close my eyes and dream. :D

Well, we have another trip to "the Dungeon" this offseason. Well, so I heard some of us were there. Me? I'm not sure I ever saw that place, while you chickened out and had a steak at Brennan's (iirc).

Well, we have another trip to "the Dungeon" this offseason. Well, so I heard some of us were there. Me? I'm not sure I ever saw that place, while you chickened out and had a steak at Brennan's (iirc).

You do indeed RCC. But I didn't "chicken out", I STEAKED OUT!. They were chaining the doors when I got there and let me in. I was the only SOB in there! The chef prepared the whole thing by himself, after cutting up a fresh head of lettuce and brandy new tomatoes for my salad and then he and the waitress sat at the table with and drank wine while I pigged out on one of the best steaks I've ever eaten. Great suggestion by that really tall guy Saint's fan wearing the hardhat!

Pisser was, it wasn't three blocks, more like 13. No biggie, it was worth it. :D

UPDATE: transcript here. Video here. Cliffnotes below.

Excerpts from twitter:
621c5b568e3111e1a39b1231381b7ba1_7.jpg

Smith at podium: Says he applauds efforts of scouting/coaching staff. Feels better about this process than in years past.

"The work is done and the board is set."

We have to look at OL group, can help ourselves at WR position, and depth in LB corps. Plus "You can always add corners."

We'll have a quality football player available at 26th pick.

Successful last yr in Draft/Free Agency/On field last year. Reason why: we executed. Went in prepared and we executed.

Impressed w depth in draft this year w WR/OL/LB positions.

this time last yr, none of our LB's had played in the position they wound up playing. Succeeded bc of @sonofbum (Wade Phillips), Herring, scouts.

To have that season under @sonofbum has helped everyone. We're further along now. Always need LB help.

Last yr we were fortunate to get @Brooksreed42. Still think he can get better. Also think @HarrisNOFLYZONE will help us win.

Restricted free agency has never been a strong market for improvement.

I spend next day and a half calling around and asking other GM's about potential trades. Most moves happen when you're on clock, tho

We're talking to K Neil Rackers about coming back. K/P are also part of thought process in draft, but few are ever drafted.

Very confident in @MSchaub8 rehab process. Working hard, looking good, and on schedule.

Gotta love how he pretty much tells everybody what positions we are going to focus on (every GM/scouting staff has probably analyzed and identified our need positions) but then talks about how he is impressed with the depth at the same positions. Coincidence...no.

Few K/P are ever drafted = We are drafting a K. I would bet money that they are zoned in on Bullock.

You do indeed RCC. But I didn't "chicken out", I STEAKED OUT!. They were chaining the doors when I got there and let me in. I was the only SOB in there! The chef prepared the whole thing by himself, after cutting up a fresh head of lettuce and brandy new tomatoes for my salad and then he and the waitress sat at the table with and drank wine while I pigged out on one of the best steaks I've ever eaten. Great suggestion by that really tall guy Saint's fan wearing the hardhat!

Pisser was, it wasn't three blocks, more like 13. No biggie, it was worth it. :D

YOU SUCK!!! I would rather have gone to Brennan's.. Although by going to the "dungeon" (not that I remember being there) I did have have the awesome priveledge of watching Joe Texan do a face plant somewhere outside that place!!!!

BTW, Ima call friend in Shreveport Mitch, (who you met), who is also good friends with our "great tall Saints fan", (his name Glenn IIRC) and see if we can do it all again this year!

You in????

YOU SUCK!!! I would rather have gone to Brennan's.. Although by going to the "dungeon" (not that I remember being there) I did have have the awesome priveledge of watching Joe Texan do a face plant somewhere outside that place!!!!

BTW, Ima call friend in Shreveport Mitch, (who you met), who is also good friends with our "great tall Saints fan", (his name Glenn IIRC) and see if we can do it all again this year!

You in????

Yeah, Glenn! That's the guy!

2nd bolded: I'll hafta axe...:lol:

It might be the Jags on the line, do you make the trade to help them get a competent QB? Maybe try to get the Browns into a bidding war with the Jags and send him to a team not in our division. Right now, those are the only two teams I can foresee trading up for Weeden. I'd prefer he goes to the Browns and let the Jags reach for a QB in the 2nd.
would not the Browns just select Weeden with their second of two first rounds rather than get in a bidding war with anyone? I guess if they could draft others in first and then trade up for #26 without a bidding war that would work for them.

Rick is merely sticking to the script about Schaub. That script was made by Rick and Bob and Gary, and they've made sure everyone sticks to the script.

Thats not true .... Schaub will be ready barring furter injury.

Dont ask.:kubepalm:

You know that Caldwell was the starter in 2012 when Foster led the league in rushing. Yeah he didn't do amazing but he had two high ankle sprains and Foster had a 100 yards in the two games he played and vs th Titans we still had over 100 yards rushing.

First off, THIS is 2012.

When there's been a choice between Caldwell and Brisiel, Brisiel got the starts. Caldwell started 7 games in 2010 but it was because Brisiel was injured. Brisiel started most of the games that year and was "officially" the starter.

Last year, when Brisiel went out, there was a noticeable drop-off when Caldwell came in. That's got me worried.

As you say, it might be that Caldwell is great and that he was just playing through two bum ankles. I know I expected better out of him. But that's what I saw and that's why I'm worried.

Someone's going to call Rick about 26 and try and get Weeden for fear that he won't get to them...

OK, that's me HOPING.
Generally, teams move up to a spot ahead of a team that could select their desired player. If not the pick just before, somewhere in the general area. When the Ravens moved up to #18 in 2008 to select Joe Flacco, they were trying to get ahead of Tampa Bay (selecting at #20). In the current scenario, there are no teams drafting after the Texans at #26 that would be poised to draft Weeden. No team is going to trade up just to trade up. And there's no reason to trade up to #26 to draft Weeden.
If Jonathan Martin or Mike Adams are there at 26 then that will probably be the pick. Otherwise WR will be the way they go, with the possible exception of Fleener.
No way the Texans draft Adams. Or Jenkins. Or the CB from Nebraska that was recently arrested. It's the Texans. That's not how they roll.

Rick Smith said:
(on if he’s confident that there will be a player available at the 26th overall spot who can step in and contribute right away like many of the Texans’ first-round picks in the past) “Well I think so and I think in the first round you try to get a player that will impact your team. Whether he’s a starter or not, I don’t know if that’s a prerequisite. But I do know that what you try to do is you try to add players that can come in and be impact players and if it’s an offensive player, he can make plays with the ball in his hands. Obviously a defensive player is either going to rush the passer or going to make plays on the ball if he’s a defensive back or a linebacker with sacks, or something like that. Somebody who impacts the team.”
Did Ricky just say that the Texans are going WR (or TE) if they draft offense in the 1st round?

"I said this", but what I said was "this"!

Basically, fully skilled at the art of talking without ever saying anything... DUDE!! Seriously, I missed that class in college. FML!! :facepalm:

steel, do you think Adams will really be considered? Have the Texans gone that far from their MO? I idonno: . He seems like a really genuine guy and a hella'va OL prospect, but failing a test he KNEW was coming. Just doesn't sound like the kinda guy the FO wants.

I'd be really surprised. Not disappointed, but damn surprised.

They interviewed him at the Sr. Bowl and Combine. They also brought him in for a visit. I dont have links.

Excerpts from twitter:

Smith at podium: Says he applauds efforts of scouting/coaching staff. Feels better about this process than in years past.

We have to look at OL group, can help ourselves at WR position, and depth in LB corps. Plus "You can always add corners."

Successful last yr in Draft/Free Agency/On field last year. Reason why: we executed. Went in prepared and we executed.

this time last yr, none of our LB's had played in the position they wound up playing. Succeeded bc of @sonofbum (Wade Phillips), Herring, scouts.

To have that season under @sonofbum has helped everyone. We're further along now. Always need LB help.

Last yr we were fortunate to get @Brooksreed42. Still think he can get better. Also think @HarrisNOFLYZONE will help us win.

I spend next day and a half calling around and asking other GM's about potential trades. Most moves happen when you're on clock, tho

We're talking to K Neil Rackers about coming back. K/P are also part of thought process in draft, but few are ever drafted.

Very confident in @MSchaub8 rehab process. Working hard, looking good, and on schedule.

Well nice try Rick, fatty just wrote that we are looking at Bullock (I believe this) and that Rackers is going to the Redskins. When I read where Rick said that few kickers are ever drafted I thought, "Rick, is that the best you can do?" I doubt we wait until round 7 to draft Bullock considering we have nobody. Maybe he is really pulling a fast one on everybody and has someone else in mind but I doubt it. Every GM has to be thinking well if we want Bullock we got to jump ahead of the Texans. Wish he would have said we have our eyes on a couple of kickers something a little less weak.

Well nice try Rick, fatty just wrote that we are looking at Bullock (I believe this) and that Rackers is going to the Redskins. When I read where Rick said that few kickers are ever drafted I thought, "Rick, is that the best you can do?" I doubt we wait until round 7 to draft Bullock considering we have nobody. Maybe he is really pulling a fast one on everybody and has someone else in mind but I doubt it. Every GM has to be thinking well if we want Bullock we got to jump ahead of the Texans. Wish he would have said we have our eyes on a couple of kickers something a little less weak.

Agree but I do like how he stated that he will spend the next day and a half talking to other GMs about trades. That shows me he at least is trying to do something creative.

Did Ricky just say that the Texans are going WR (or TE) if they draft offense in the 1st round?

I heard that part of the interview and kinda did a double take when he said that .... gave me the same impression that should they draft an offensive player in round one , It'll be a player who handles the ball.

Wont be a QB - have Schaub & Yates.

Wont be a RB - Have Foster and Tate.

That leaves TE & WR.

Kinda shocking that he may have tipped his hand here a bit .... Then again , he could just be blowing smoke.

I don't care if a kickers drafted in the 6th/7th..Rarely will the result of that pick provides more value to a team than a top ten kicker anyways..

I heard that part of the interview and kinda did a double take when he said that .... gave me the same impression that should they draft an offensive player in round one , It'll be a player who handles the ball.

Wont be a QB - have Schaub & Yates.

Wont be a RB - Have Foster and Tate.

That leaves TE & WR.

Kinda shocking that he may have tipped his hand here a bit .... Then again , he could just be blowing smoke.

Centers handle the ball on every play. Peter Konz?

Centers handle the ball on every play. Peter Konz?

Are you being factiecious? Why would they take Konz? Do you think he can move to guard? If so, he isn't handling the ball. He's also got injury concerns.

I read it to mean they want a playmaker, which we sorely need. I do not think it's a guarantee we go offense, but if we do I think it's likely we go TE or WR although not a certainty - I think they'll follow their board within reason.

I don't care if a kickers drafted in the 6th/7th..Rarely will the result of that pick provides more value to a team than a top ten kicker anyways..

I want the Texans to draft Bullock, I have him mocked in the 6th. I just wish Rick would have been a little more coy.

I want the Texans to draft Bullock, I have him mocked in the 6th. I just wish Rick would have been a little more coy.

I honestly think he's being sincere and not putting much priority on the kicker position. He has Bullock and # XXX on his board and if he's there in the 6/7th with and is the highest guy on our board then we'll take him. If not, then we'll look elsewhere for a kicker.

I read it to mean they want a playmaker, which we sorely need. I do not think it's a guarantee we go offense, but if we do I think it's likely we go TE or WR although not a certainty - I think they'll follow their board within reason.

Thats how I take it too ....

We have NEVER drafted a guy in round 1 and not had him start since Gary has been here, even Brown has started since day one, so if we draft a G in round 1, they will be inked the starter....just how we roll, so if they truly feel Caldwell and Butler can start then they will not go oline in rd 1 but likely will in rd 3 or 4

I also find it hard to believe we go olb in round 1. Again, we look for starters in that round and they would not start over Barwin and reed, we could go olb in 2, but not 1.

Also, I feel we could go corner high if Wade is over Jackson, Rick keeps emphasizing that we can never have enough corners, so maybe we go corner in 1......

Someone's going to call Rick about 26 and try and get Weeden for fear that he won't get to them...

OK, that's me HOPING.

Doubt Weeden is there at 26, but if he is I wouldnt be upset if we took him. We do not have a proven starting QB on this time at the current time.

Doubt Weeden is there at 26, but if he is I wouldnt be upset if we took him. We do not have a proven starting QB on this time at the current time.

You want the texans to use a first round pick on a 29 year old QB who played in a spread offense?:kubepalm::wadepalm:

I honestly think he's being sincere and not putting much priority on the kicker position. He has Bullock and # XXX on his board and if he's there in the 6/7th with and is the highest guy on our board then we'll take him. If not, then we'll look elsewhere for a kicker.

Where? Who? The last time I checked there were only 5 FA kickers on the market and 4 of them suck. These are the guys available per footballsfuture.com Again, they all really suck except for Scobee. Look up what they did in 2010 and 2011...The Texans need to put priority on a K if they want to win a couple of close games.

David Buehler
Dave Rayner
Josh Scobee
Rhys Lloyd
Shayne Graham

You want the texans to use a first round pick on a 29 year old QB who played in a spread offense?:kubepalm::wadepalm:

Didnt say thats what I "wanted", just wouldnt be upset. Strong arm and very accurate, and also has dealt with the pressure of pro sports so may handle the pressure better than most. Based on what we have going into camp, I dont see adding those skills as a bad thing. I hope TJ comes through and becomes the starter for years, but we need some insurance. Do I think they take a QB in the first? Nope. Would it upset me? Nope. Somewhere in this draft they pick up a QB IMHO.

Every GM has to be thinking well if we want Bullock we got to jump ahead of the Texans. Wish he would have said we have our eyes on a couple of kickers something a little less weak.

I'm not sure where we'll have to draft Bullock, but I'd say probably the 5th round, 6th at the latest.

A lot of teams aren't going to be in the market for a rookie kicker.

I'm not sure where we'll have to draft Bullock, but I'd say probably the 5th round, 6th at the latest.

It only takes one team to screw up your plan. Nobody thought the Eagles would take Alex Henry in the 4th last year, but they did. Nobody thought the Browns would take Owen Marecic FB in the 4th, but the Browns did. New England spent a 5th on Zoltan Mesko P a couple years ago.

These lesser valued positions are worth filling with late picks for sure, many of the players drafted in the 5-7 rounds don't even make the team, so why not get a surefire starter at a lower priority position?

We have NEVER drafted a guy in round 1 and not had him start since Gary has been here, even Brown has started since day one, so if we draft a G in round 1, they will be inked the starter....just how we roll, so if they truly feel Caldwell and Butler can start then they will not go oline in rd 1 but likely will in rd 3 or 4

I also find it hard to believe we go olb in round 1. Again, we look for starters in that round and they would not start over Barwin and reed, we could go olb in 2, but not 1.

Also, I feel we could go corner high if Wade is over Jackson, Rick keeps emphasizing that we can never have enough corners, so maybe we go corner in 1......

Looks like they did now - I think that says a lot about the overall quality of the team and the player they think Mercilus can be ....

OLB was one of those positions they really needed depth at - Braman and Nading behind Barwin and Reed. Both of them are pretty much just ST guy's.

Also looks like they got a playmaker (just not on offense).... 9 forced fumbles in a college season is impressive.

Excerpts from twitter:

Rey, you nailed it!!! Rick, you need to work on your smokescreens.

Back