Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rice vs. Robinson-Walker vs. Gallery-Wand vs. Sapp

TEXANS84

Staff member
Rice vs. Robinson, Walker vs. Gallery, and Wand vs. Sapp.

These three seem to be key matchups....

*Can Robinson handle the future hall of famer?
*Can Walker school the new kid on the block?
*And can Wand keep Carr standing against the feared 99?

I don't think Rice is their #2 is he? I thought he was like 3 or 4. The Wand vs Sapp matchup scares me. How bout we plant Bruener on the left side the whole game.

Jerry Rice is the #2 with Porter at #1, but he only has 4 receptions so far this year which is 7th on their receiver list. Porter is the big danger this week.

Curry and Gabriel seem to be legitimate threats at WR too. I believe the Raiders base is a 3-4, and Washington against McKinney is very scary. The Raiders also have a very large OLB who is like 290 or so. Could be a tough matchup for our OLine.

robinson's match-ups all year will be trial by fire, so no matter who he's matched up with it will be a test. i think walker has the definate mental edge against gallery. i think g-funk will enjoy trying the rookie, but it doesn't mean walker will win, it's just more in his favor IMO. and with that logic, sapp has the edge over wand. although im suprised people seem to forget this is sapp's 9th season and his numbers have decreased for the last 4-5 years, wand hasn't proven anything this year and has come across as a big guy with no heart/confidence. so yes if walker has the edge by 55/45, sapp has the edge 70/30 on wand. sorry david, hope DD is healthy or screens/slants are common calls next week. this being said, i still think we have the same chance against the raiders, if not better, than we did against the cheifs. i really wish collins wasn't gonna start though, gannon IMO is in the same classification as kurt warner/brad johnson. old guys whose glory days are long gone (or not that glorious) and sparks are always out weighed by their tremendous ability to suck.....i still think warner was WAY overrated when he was with the "greatest show on turf". collins looks reborn. although he might fall in the tragic hero catgorey, (because of his battle with alcholol and what might be his greatest season getting destroyed the ravens) and never reach the numbers warner/johnson/gannon have, he just seems to have more grit than the other three flakes......id rather have a "cross eyed-will ferrell" flake in at QB to sick our hounds at than a a younger, more substantial, over-looked QB. just my :twocents:, tried to keep the bashing to a minimum...

This is going to be a test for our Texans but I think we have a solid chance with these ancient veterans against our young team.

They're not quite so ancient as they were last season. Garner and Brown are gone. Gannon is out and Collins is starting. Rice is more of a on-field coach than player. They have young WRs with good speed, and good talent on the OLine. I agree it will be a tough test for us, and if we're going to win back to back games then we'll have to do it against a tough team.

Sapp will be going against Pitts most of the time. Wand will take the RDE, remember that Sapp is DT no DE.

Don't forget we played Washington last year when he was with NE. They should have some kind of a book on him.

atxcoolguy said:
Sapp will be going against Pitts most of the time. Wand will take the RDE, remember that Sapp is DT no DE.

Ted Washington is the DT...and they switched to a 3-4. Sapp is a DE now.

wags said:
Nope. He lines up at RT. He will get a good look at big Gary's mug all day long.

Gallery looked great at RT last Sunday, quite dominate destroying several tackles in the Raiders total domination of Tampa Bay. He appears to have the ability to be effective at any lineman position he chooses, his mobility makes him excellent RT pulling with the guard on running downs, protection being second nature.

Collins has alot of confidence, stands very tall in the pocket and will pick apart the secondary short & deep if provided enough time, so collapsing the pocket is key. Its important to get in his head early, disrupt his rhythem and force throws either on the run or off balance. So my game plan might include alot of special blitz packages using the safetys & corners, the LB's need to maintain good spacing with Peek given the green light on occasion to fly up the middle of the pocket & while Walker engages Gallery, Babin can sneak around the mountain.

Will Dunta Robinson get his first NFL interception? This may be it fellow Texans :headbang:

RTP2110 said:
Don't forget we played Washington last year when he was with NE. They should have some kind of a book on him.

There's not much of a book you can have on him. He's a big guy who's going to take up two blockers, and he'll pretty much demolish any hopes of running up the middle. He's not flashy or quick, but he will inevitably force RBs to the outside. We've played Sapp more times than we've played Washington, but I doubt we have enough info on him to have a book against him. I believe we played the Bucs in one regular season game and a few preseason games. I don't think that's enough familiarity with him to have much info on him, but that's what game tapes are for.

With the Raiders being stout up the middle, and if Hollings is able to play, we may get some opportunities outside running. If Hollings can't go, then it will likely be the running back in to help on protection and then roll behind the line as an outlet pass. If Hollings (or whoever) can't get to the outside and we can't hold em out, it will be a VERY long day indeed.

I saw Rice play with the Niners years ago and he schooled the DB's that day. I would think if he has any skills left that the Raiders might love the matchup of Rice against a rookie.

edo783 said:
With the Raiders being stout up the middle, and if Hollings is able to play, we may get some opportunities outside running. If Hollings can't go, then it will likely be the running back in to help on protection and then roll behind the line as an outlet pass. If Hollings (or whoever) can't get to the outside and we can't hold em out, it will be a VERY long day indeed.

Washington and Sapp are both stone walls against the run but neither is much against the pass. Seems like we'd be best served to run on passing downs (draws, traps, ..) and pass on run downs (play action, ...) .. Of course I'm still waiting on Palmer to ask me my opinion ...

Speaking of Hollings .... what's the story? Still hurt? Does anyone else get the impression that the severity of injuries is often hidden by the Texans or are they being extra cautious?

chuck

I think the NFL adopted a policy where teams have to be completely upfront about injuries or risk fines, etc. I can't see where they wouldn't be honest about his injury.

Back