Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rest in Peace - Joe Texan

disaacks3

Staff member
There seemed no more fitting place for a tribute to Joe Texan (Joe Banowsky) than in the tailgate thread. Long a fixture of the Blue Crew, he was one of the first people a newcomer would often see, and for many children, he WAS the face of the tailgate at our ever-present piñata for the kids.

We'll miss you Joe. You were a unique man and a unique fan.

Last edited:

Pollardized

Division Champ
Wow, I haven't been on here in a while. Saw the news on Twitter and had to come here to make sure it was real. Joe was so good to me and my son when were guests at the Blue Crew tailgate (him and Texan_Bill were always great to us). Hate to here this. Life comes at us quick and then it's just gone. I'm gonna drink an extra 6 pack at the bar for Joe tonight. Rest In Peace Brother.

On my way from work on 610am they mentioned this. I had to pull over and let it sink in. This man has sent me several messages of inspiration back when I had my SIAB moments. Rip Joe you helped me and many others become better people.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
RIP Joe Texan. You were the quintessential Houston Texans fan and were always the life of the party at Blue Crew Tailgates. Always optimistic about every Texans season and always willing to give it to opposing fans (in a good fun way).

Even my kids knew who Joe Texan was when we'd see him on the TV in the Bull Pen. They always remembered a picture of us.

JoeTexan.jpg

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Never met him in person but had many interactions with him online over the years. He was a good dude.

RIP JOE TEXAN.

texanskan

Waterboy
Saw this on Twitter had to post.

I was always at the original practices and subsequent tailgates and events. Knew How real well along with many others. The years ended up permanently getting me into the Yellow lot and losing touch.

I actually saw him recently on 59 in his F150 when I was in town. Had signature bull horns and Texans swag.

Sucks

gwallaia

Staff member
The Blue Crew Tailgate this Sunday will be different without Joe there. He was one of a kind. I look forward to visiting with friends Sunday to tell stories about our dear friend.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Never met dude...only knew him from the Texans game broadcasts on cbs. When they would pan back from commercial breaks and show the crowd they would always show him.

RIP.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
Just seeing this and tough to hear. I have a lot of memories of Joe and his late father. Many tailgates of course and a few road trips. I’ll never forget the Bud Adams dartboard he brought to the 1st ever Titans game at Reliant. I still have photos of that somewhere. Joe was genuinely a good guy and always meant well. I know he had a health scare some years ago before I moved from Texas and we talked about that a little bit. I know he’ll be missed by everyone out there. I’ll miss not looking for him every time the TV camera pans the Bull Pen.

Hardcore Texan

Magnet Man
RIP Joe! Joe treated me like a friend from the first time I met him. He was so welcoming, just like the rest of the Blue Crew. What a great fan of our beloved Texans! He was such a good guy. I remember one time in particular, he picked me and my buddy up at the Crowne Plaza so we could tailgate when the Platinum lot opened instead of waiting to come in as a pedestrian. We hung on for dear life in the back of that truck packed with tailgating gear, lol. Thoughts and prayers to his family and loved ones, and hugs to all of my friends in the Blue Crew, I hope to make it to a tailgate this season and say hi and listen to stories about Joe.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
The TV commentators mentioned his passing at the beginning of the game today. I'm sure I met him at one of the many blue crew tailgates I've been to. Rest in peace, Joe.

BigWig

Bigimus Wigimus
Wow I am blown away. I have not been tailgating with the Blue Crew since 2007. Texanator texted me yesterday asking if I heard the news and had not. When I bought my PSL's in 1999 in the Bull pen we met at the very first game with Dallas. I had Blue parking and hung out with these guys that's when I met Joe. Some of the road trips up to the old Cowboys stadium were my fav times with him he would really get wound up. I will miss seeing him in the Bull Pen and in person, RIP Joe.
PS if someone cares to fill me in send me a private message as to what happened to Joe.

Frosty

Practice Squad
RIP Joe.. you WERE the original! Glad to have met you at the blue crew tailgates.. Like Big Wig stated, the in Dallas games were a hoot.. Joe screaming in the stadium 19-10......

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
Umm... I don’t see it? I’m friends with him there.
It's in the comments of the post that Joe made about Bob McNair's passing. Someone asked something like "What happened to Joe?" and she replied. Unfortunately, I think Joe had been dealing with some health issues for years. I remember that he had a scare before I moved out here to Florida probably 6 years or so ago. He was telling me the details of it probably the last time I hung out with him at the Blue Crew tailgate. I was concerned about him after that conversation.

Reactions: JB

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
It's in the comments of the post that Joe made about Bob McNair's passing. Someone asked something like "What happened to Joe?" and she replied. Unfortunately, I think Joe had been dealing with some health issues for years. I remember that he had a scare before I moved out here to Florida probably 6 years or so ago. He was telling me the details of it probably the last time I hung out with him at the Blue Crew tailgate. I was real concerned about him after that conversation.
I just saw her post. Thanks.

I talked to his mom and sister yesterday at the game but I wasn’t comfortable asking that type of question. They were in great spirits and you could tell they felt loved by everyone’s support. I hope so at least.

Texanator

Rabid Brahma
You will be missed Joe!
We had some fun times through the years.
I still cherish the Texans player ornaments you brought us here in Austin for one of the first watch parties we had.

On a separate note, my apologies for not posting lately.
I have battled cancer twice, and had a severe back injury that ruptured 5 disks and have just been occupied with all that.
Hope to get well soon and get back to the games and Austin watch parties soon.
God Bless you all, Mr. Mac,Joe Texan, and of course our Houston Texans.
Peace to you all!

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Other than DexmanC no one could troll this site better than Joe when he wanted to stir the pot. I remember one time there was some pansy in here who started a thread swearing he was leaving due to Joe Texan's posts. That was a fun thread.

Met Joe one time when he helped me with a plumbing issue out of the kindness of his heart. He ended up making a huge mistake that caused my house to flood with sewage which resulted in a home owner's insurance claim right after we moved in, but we turned it into an opportunity and made the best of it, and it was an honest mistake. Joe was a great genuine dude and as dedicated as it gets to the Texans who basically was his life. He was like a mascot somewhat almost like "Mojo" from the Oilers and I had always wished that he would have gotten stronger fame as a super fan since he was such a goofball (In a good way). I remember watching him on some Youtube video bumping back and forth with some huge black guy after a game like they were lineman. Joe was getting man handled as this guy was bigger and younger, but it was so fun. Watching him go at it and having fun was really funny to watch. RIP to JOE TEXAN. Houston Texans legend fan.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
I have battled cancer twice, and had a severe back injury that ruptured 5 disks and have just been occupied with all that.
Hope to get well soon and get back to the games and Austin watch parties soon.
God Bless you all, Mr. Mac,Joe Texan, and of course our Houston Texans.
Peace to you all!
Back at you Texanator. Sorry to hear about your health problems. I hope you're doing better and are getting well. I always had a great time at your Austin watch parties.

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
First, Hookem that is an awesome new banner! You're the best and it's been a pleasure knowing you through all these years!!

That said, I've been approved from the Blue Crew's raspy voice of "GET YOUUURRRRRRR'E SHOTS" herself to post this:

From TedC (Ted Cu**Ier):
"Wanted to make sure you and all that loved Joe Texan knew about this:

A visitation honoring Joe Texan will be held December 8, 2018

Between 4:00pm and 7pm

Claire Brothers Funeral
7901 Hillcroft Street
Houston, Texas 77081.....?"

disaacks3

Staff member
First, Hookem that is an awesome new banner! You're the best and it's been a pleasure knowing you through all these years!!

That said, I've been approved from the Blue Crew's raspy voice of "GET YOUUURRRRRRR'E SHOTS" herself to post this:

From TedC (Ted Cu**Ier):
"Wanted to make sure you and all that loved Joe Texan knew about this:

A visitation honoring Joe Texan will be held December 8, 2018

Between 4:00pm and 7pm

Claire Brothers Funeral
7901 Hillcroft Street
Houston, Texas 77081.....?"
http://www.clairebrothersfuneral.com/site/cpage.asp?cpage_id=180078572&sec_id=180016165

Address:
7901 Hillcroft Street
Houston, Texas 77081

Phone:
(713) 271-7250

Fax:
(713) 271-7251

Email:
info@clairebrothers.com

https://goo.gl/maps/74HbXKz6QL12

austins23

Hall of Fame
I don't want to derail this thread or disrespect Joe Texan, but another Super Texans fan has passed. David Nagy, you may know him as the End Zone King, was battling a brain tumor (cancer) and passed earlier today. He was always wearing that big ol King Crown around. I know he tailgated in the Blue Lot.

I didn't know him personally, but met him on a couple of out of town games. Partook in a few malted beverages with him. Anyway, RIP David, End Zone King.

StarStruck

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
RIP and my condolences to the families and friends of Joe Texan and End Zone King. I had met Joe during the early days of tailgating in the blue lot, and later would always see him over in Section 116 wearing the big hat with the horns. I also remember End Zone King, although I didn't know his fan name, I have seen him wearing the big crown at the games.