Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Reserve/Commissioner Exempt List

Toro Bravo

Rookie
With the likelihood that Deshaun Watson is going to be placed on the Commissioner Exempt List and may not play in 2021, I want clarification on what that means to the Texan salary cap. I understand he still gets paid and does not count against the 53 man roster. But does that mean his salary doesn't count against the salary cap?

Watson has a salary of $10,540M and a cap hit of $15,940M. Does that mean his salary still counts against the cap or does the team get $10,540M in additional cap room they can use to sign other players?

The explanation of the exempt list is clear as mud:
"The Exempt List is a special player status available to clubs only in unusual circumstances. The List includes those players who have been declared by the Commissioner to be temporarily exempt from counting within the Active List limit. Only the Commissioner has the authority to place a player on the Exempt List; clubs have no such authority, and no exemption, regardless of circumstances, is automatic. The Commissioner also has the authority to determine in advance whether a player's time on the Exempt List will be finite or will continue until the Commissioner deems the exemption should be lifted and the player returned to the Active List."

Does anybody know if Deshaun's salary counts against the cap?

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
With the likelihood that Deshaun Watson is going to be placed on the Commissioner Exempt List and may not play in 2021, I want clarification on what that means to the Texan salary cap. I understand he still gets paid and does not count against the 53 man roster. But does that mean his salary doesn't count against the salary cap?

Watson has a salary of $10,540M and a cap hit of $15,940M. Does that mean his salary still counts against the cap or does the team get $10,540M in additional cap room they can use to sign other players?

"The Exempt List is a special player status available to clubs only in unusual circumstances. The List includes those players who have been declared by the Commissioner to be temporarily exempt from counting within the Active List limit. Only the Commissioner has the authority to place a player on the Exempt List; clubs have no such authority, and no exemption, regardless of circumstances, is automatic. The Commissioner also has the authority to determine in advance whether a player's time on the Exempt List will be finite or will continue until the Commissioner deems the exemption should be lifted and the player returned to the Active List."

To my mind, it makes sense that if the commissioner took the action, then that should clear the years salary for the player concerned so that the Texans can fill the void left. Texans may still owe Watson that money but it may be held until he is released.
I ain't no expert - just mho.

If he goes on the CEL now, I don't think it matters much until the regular season. For the Texans, I think it would be best if he was on it now and the NFL investigation is completed and his NFL punishment is decided before the season starts. That way they can have a clearer picture as far as salary goes. I don't know of a player that was on the CEL after receiving his NFL punishment for the same incident. This all my opinion but like you I'm curious of all the options.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
For the Texans, Watson is nothing but a commodity now. As such, if I'm McNair or Caserio, I'd never let him out of that contract without getting something in return. I'd treat Watson like any commodity that has tradable value and all decisions would be to do what's in the best interest of the franchise. Even if it means paying him while he's on the CEL.

I'm just curious of Watson's arrogance still has him exercising the NTC to pick his destination when that time comes.

Texansballer74

The Marine
For the Texans, Watson is nothing but a commodity now. As such, if I'm McNair or Caserio, I'd never let him out of that contract without getting something in return. I'd treat Watson like any commodity that has tradable value and all decisions would be to do what's in the best interest of the franchise. Even if it means paying him while he's on the CEL.

I'm just curious of Watson's arrogance still has him exercising the NTC to pick his destination when that time comes.

The Texans are screwed, basically back to square one searching for a franchise quarterback. They won't be getting him in this years draft. And next year the quarterback pool is said to be weak. Therefore, we're back to shuffling quarterbacks in and out until we find a franchise one. Maybe TT could hold down the fort for at least 2 years or Ryan flourishes and becomes our franchise QB.

Watson is out of here and we can only hope we actually get something back in return for him.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

From what I can gather , the games he spends on the CEL will not count against the cap and would be rolled into the next years cap.

So for every game he spends on the CEL $658,750 is added to the cap roll over into the 2022/23 league year.

The signing bonus , I cannot find anything concrete on but I believe since it was guaranteed money - already paid , its going to remain on the cap unless the contract is voided and he's forced to return those funds.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
The Texans are screwed, basically back to square one searching for a franchise quarterback. They won't be getting him in this years draft. And next year the quarterback pool is said to be weak. Therefore, we're back to shuffling quarterbacks in and out until we find a franchise one. Maybe TT could hold down the fort for at least 2 years or Ryan flourishes and becomes our franchise QB.

Watson is out of here and we can only hope we actually get something back in return for him.
Rattler and Howell both could be good.
2022 is strong on DE and also Tackles.
CB Stingley LSU is said to be one of the best to come out in a while.
If Texans get a top three pick next year they will have a dilemma as they have needs at all the abovementioned positions except maybe OT.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Watson will likely be on a list. Unsure which one however. In one case the NFL has redone rules and IF placed on the list once you miss some like a preseason game you don't get paid. Heard it earlier today but don't know what list it is. Has to do with a player not active in team mandatory activity.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Yes.
As well as players like

Chris Henery
Seahawks DB Quinton Dunbar

To name a few. You can Google the full list. Many call it a joke.

Thanks. I was completely oblivious to any exemption list till now.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Thanks. I was completely oblivious to any exemption list till now.
I didn't post a link to what it was. I figured if someone wants to read the legal jargon...they could look up the exact list and what it is used for. Which is basically paid leave when he (the comish) feels it's better due to the distraction they have going on.They can still go to meetings but not stuff like practice.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I didn't post a link to what it was. I figured if someone wants to read the legal jargon...they could look up the exact list and what it is used for. Which is basically paid leave when he (the comish) feels it's better due to the distraction they have going on.They can still go to meetings but not stuff like practice.

The problem with my example is vick. How much time has passed since then? I'm sure nfl bi-laws have changed a lot since.

Thanks for the feedback.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I will bet that veteran QB's will become available next offseason like Stafford did this offseason. Matt Ryan comes to mind.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Rattler and Howell both could be good.
2022 is strong on DE and also Tackles.
CB Stingley LSU is said to be one of the best to come out in a while.
If Texans get a top three pick next year they will have a dilemma as they have needs at all the abovementioned positions except maybe OT.
So once again the Texans suck enough to get a top pick and with meh QB s and good pass rushers. That's worked so well for the organization

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
So once again the Texans suck enough to get a top pick and with meh QB s and good pass rushers. That's worked so well for the organization
I think there was a lot of bad blood last season as evidenced by players being traded etc, and it has been building over a couple of seasons.
Now that O'Brien is gone and several changes have been made to FO and coaching, I think most of it goes away - especially so now that Watson isn't going to be in there spoiling like a cancer in the locker rooms.
I also see a lot of players needing to put up good numbers and effort this coming season if they have dreams of scoring a lucrative contract in FA.
Our ST also will be greatly improved as will our Defense, oline and running game.
Our rookies from last season should also be improved with a year under their belts.
While we won't be contenders this season, I don't think we will be the worst team in the league either.
A lot now hinges on further acquisitions by NC and the coaching of David Culley and crew.

Number19

Hall of Fame

Taylor? Certainly this year. But he's what, 31? Finley? He does not impress.

Which is why I'd take Mond if he's there at 67. Get him some experience this year and see what we have. Worst case outlook, we have a good backup for 3 more years under his rookie contract.

This gives the team flexibility in choosing a franchise QB at some future draft; next year, or the next. We need to stock pile future draft picks to prepare for this.

I've posted previously, I'd really like to go with a franchise defensive lineman to replace JJ, if QB is not a necessity. Mond might just give us that flexibility.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I had Zach Wilson and Kellen Mond about mid RD4 to RD6 QB's around the mid way point of the CFB season (I know A&M kicked off later) and between the media, season, and Pro Day....their stock has soared to as high as the #1 to top 5 QB and probably picked in RD1 or early RD2 in this draft. At this point, the Texans won't see Mond get anywhere near the 67th pick.

I liked both QB's where I had them in my original projections.....not sure I'm that high on their current projections.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

Old article but seems to apply here. Teams can release a player on the exempt list. Not sure how it relates to his newly signed deal, but we can cut him.
If they cut him after he is placed on the exempt list then they owe him the 10 million from his rookie deal but they can completely void his new contract.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
If they cut him after he is placed on the exempt list then they owe him the 10 million from his rookie deal but they can completely void his new contract.
If they void his new contract does he effectively become a free agent or do they still own the rights to him on his rookie deal?

Number19

Hall of Fame
If they void his new contract does he effectively become a free agent or do they still own the rights to him on his rookie deal?
I'm just guessing and correct me if I'm wrong, the Texans would still have him under contract for the 5th year of his rookie contract. We will owe him $10 M for this year so we would own his rights for this year. He would be a free agent beginning the 2022 season

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I don't think he will be cut... unless he gets jail time. Then, all bets are off on what the team will do. As for what will happen with a trade... just depends. If he is found innocent most who want/need a QB will be offering about what the offers were rumoured to be. If guilty (but no jail time) only teams who are willing to take the fan reaction. If jail time... not sure if more than 1-2 teams would want him. Even then, not at a good price.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I'm just guessing and correct me if I'm wrong, the Texans would still have him under contract for the 5th year of his rookie contract. We will owe him $10 M for this year so we would own his rights for this year. He would be a free agent beginning the 2022 season
That's IF he was released. But, I don't think he will be. The NFL is going to take a stand for the charges that are true (even if only 1-2 are) and suspend him. He may very well be paying the team after the cases are settled. Next year he will be traded and depending on how the NFL arrange it he may have the new deal voided due to conduct. Making the Texans have to tag him or pay an NFL arranged deal. The new team will then have to sign him to a longer deal.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
That's IF he was released. But, I don't think he will be. The NFL is going to take a stand for the charges that are true (even if only 1-2 are) and suspend him. He may very well be paying the team after the cases are settled. Next year he will be traded and depending on how the NFL arrange it he may have the new deal voided due to conduct. Making the Texans have to tag him or pay an NFL arranged deal. The new team will then have to sign him to a longer deal.
Just wondering about your post......Let’s say this scenario (contract voided) begins to play out, what if the Texans come back to Watson and give him this proposition: Leave the team due to his self-created situation and he will be required to repay his signing bonus. Or, we’ll make a joint statement, that the Texans will be fully involved in finding and monitoring Watson the help he needs. Watson will be re-signed to a new 3 year 36M dollar guaranteed contract (12M annually / 2022 - 2024 / UFA 2025) that permits him to keep his prior signing bonus but lose his NTC. Watson would have a 3 year window to rebuild his image and give the Texans a 2 year window to find Watson’s eventual replacement.

I’m 100% certain that Watson would never re-sign with the Texans after the 2024 season (velvet hammer blackmail might leave a sour taste in Watson’s mouth) and the Texans could be in a position to trade him before the 2024 season if the replacement was found in the 2022 draft and spent a year as the QB2.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Just wondering about your post......Let’s say this scenario (contract voided) begins to play out, what if the Texans come back to Watson and give him this proposition: Leave the team due to his self-created situation and he will be required to repay his signing bonus. Or, we’ll make a joint statement, that the Texans will be fully involved in finding and monitoring Watson the help he needs. Watson will be re-signed to a new 3 year 36M dollar guaranteed contract (12M annually / 2022 - 2024 / UFA 2025) that permits him to keep his prior signing bonus but lose his NTC. Watson would have a 3 year window to rebuild his image and give the Texans a 2 year window to find Watson’s eventual replacement.

I’m 100% certain that Watson would never re-sign with the Texans after the 2024 season (velvet hammer blackmail might leave a sour taste in Watson’s mouth) and the Texans could be in a position to trade him before the 2024 season if the replacement was found in the 2022 draft and spent a year as the QB2.
Why would you want to keep a sexual predator (Allegedly) on the team?

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Yep. Between the Texans stupidity and the Watson saga/drama, the fun of being a fan of this team has evaporated. I doubt we even see a winning record for many years, much less a playoff team.

Analysts are saying this is basically an expansion team now. . .without an expansion draft and the first two rounds of picks, of course. . .and it took 8 seasons before we saw a winning record and a full decade before obtaining a playoff berth.

This is my expectations now. I'll just enjoy the NFL in general and suffer through this crappy local team. . .again.

Yep, this is what happens when you associate yourself with trash.
I'm not sure if I'd call Jack Easterby trash, but hey, who am I to argue? idonno:

Nothing quite like being a Texans fan, am I right?
Maybe snipe hunting? :shoot:

banned1976

sleeper mode
Yep. Between the Texans stupidity and the Watson saga/drama, the fun of being a fan of this team has evaporated. I doubt we even see a winning record for many years, much less a playoff team.

Analysts are saying this is basically an expansion team now. . .without an expansion draft and the first two rounds of picks, of course. . .and it took 8 seasons before we saw a winning record and a full decade before obtaining a playoff berth.

This is my expectations now. I'll just enjoy the NFL in general and suffer through this crappy local team. . .again.

I'm not sure if I'd call Jack Easterby trash, but hey, who am I to argue? idonno:

And since Caserio likes the baseball metaphors, I believe the coaching staff is one huge swing and a miss.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

What has Easterby done that's trashy?

These problems existed before Easterby was on the scene. Easterby only got to the heart of some of the many issues within all places of the Texans org. He did what he was hired to do. Find the dead bodies and report them to Cal. (Mission Accomplished) What Cal did with the info he received is why the Texans org is where it's at today. This falls directly on ownership.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
What has Easterby done that's trashy?

These problems existed before Easterby was on the scene. Easterby only got to the heart of some of the many issues within all places of the Texans org. He did what he was hired to do. Find the dead bodies and report them to Cal. (Mission Accomplished) What Cal did with the info he received is why the Texans org is where it's at today. This falls directly on ownership.
I never said he was trashy. lol :heh:

It's ALL hearsay about Easterby, btw. Nobody seems to know what the guy does other than hold impromptu prayer circles at NRG and help make bad personnel decisions with Billy O.

btw, if Jack knew all of that, then why was he instrumental in giving Watson $111 million guaranteed? Heck, Deshaun even publicly thanked him for it.

I look forward to your unsubstantiated spin, as usual. :fingergun:

banned1976

sleeper mode

It's ALL hearsay about Easterby, btw. Nobody seems to know what the guy does other than hold impromptu prayer circles at NRG and help make bad personnel decisions with Billy O.

btw, if Jack knew all of that, then why was he instrumental in giving Watson $111 million guaranteed? Heck, Deshaun even publicly thanked him for it.

You can take the no spin zone out of the forum but you can't take the forum out of the spin.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Are you saying Easterby wasn't hired to do a full audit and review of the Texans org by Cal?

Cal made the decision to give DW4 the $$$$. The blame lies directly at his feet and nobody elses.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You can take the no spin zone out of the forum but you can't take the forum out of the spin.
What is being spun?

What's not true about my post?

This all falls directly on Cal. He signs the checks and besides Janice is the ultimate decision maker.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I don't know about set up for failure. Culley is a guy who has been around and knows football. Is he a HC? Maybe. However, they brought in Lovie as DC but we all know he can win. Perhaps he is the one who is here to help Culley and to get stuff done right.