Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Redskins-Texans matchups: Jammal Brown vs. Mario Williams

Wolf

100% Texan
Jammal Brown will have this week's rush monster, a big fella named Mario Williams.

Some would dare to compare Mario Williams to DeMarcus Ware, and when I broke down film on him I see why. Williams is built similarly to Ware, but he is thicker and bigger.

They also share the same type of pass rush skill sets. Both have good speed with their upfield rushes, and generally sell the tackle on their speed early in the game, before opening up their pass rushing tool box.

As they get going, these guys mix in an assortment of different approaches. Williams is a true defensive end, so unlike Ware, who is a 3-4 linebacker, he will be rushing from a true three-point stance, which means he will have his hand in the dirt.

The Texans move Williams around a lot, so I also expect him to spend time going against the Redskins left tackle, rookie Trent Williams, who did a good job on Ware last week. But the matchup against Brown is probably a little more favorable for Houston, so I'm betting they'll pit him against the Redskins right tackle often.

I anticipate this being a game in which Brown will have to show early that he can neutralize Williams's speed rush. Williams will be testing Brown's health to see if his agility is intact. He also wil test Brown's balance and strength, by pressuring him with bull rushes.

If Brown is a pro bowl vet in this league, I look for him to have a few tricks up his sleeve to even up the odds. Brown did very well last week, giving up no sacks from his right tackle position to the Cowboys Anthony Spencer. Spencer is very talented but he's no Mario Williams.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/hard-hits/2010/09/key_matchups_jammal_brown_vs_m.html

Neither of their tackles will be able to block Mario for extended periods of time.

It will have to be a collective effort...The receivers will need to run good routes, the QB will have to step up and avoid pressure, and the QB will also have to get the ball out quickly...

I just don't think that either one of their tackles can block Mario 1 on 1 all game long...

Neither of their tackles will be able to block Mario for extended periods of time.

It will have to be a collective effort...The receivers will need to run good routes, the QB will have to step up and avoid pressure, and the QB will also have to get the ball out quickly...

I just don't think that either one of their tackles can block Mario 1 on 1 all game long...

I agree completely. I see a substantial win coming.

My concern is that the DL maintain their gap responsibilities and cut down the amount of running McNabb does. I don't want to see any more gashing like Garrad and Young did last year.

My concern is that the DL maintain their gap responsibilities and cut down the amount of running McNabb does. I don't want to see any more gashing like Garrad and Young did last year.

That is where your "spy" comes in. If your LB is shadowing McNabb and does his job, as soon as McNabb steps up and out of the pocket, the LB should be there to meet with open arms....

That is where your "spy" comes in. If your LB is shadowing McNabb and does his job, as soon as McNabb steps up and out of the pocket, the LB should be there to meet with open arms....

Yes, but the gap integrity has to be maintained, or McNabb will be able to slip by. Just look at past games. Hopefully, we are past making those stupid mistakes, but we don't know that yet.

Yes, but the gap integrity has to be maintained, or McNabb will be able to slip by. Just look at past games. Hopefully, we are past making those stupid mistakes, but we don't know that yet.

That's the same concern I would have. But I don't know that I wouldn't use a QB contain instead, letting an LB run him down if he tries going up the middle.

The reason I say this is because most of his runs seem to be to the outside...........a pattern that he continued last game.

That's the same concern I would have. But I don't know that I wouldn't use a QB contain instead, letting an LB run him down if he tries going up the middle.

The reason I say this is because most of his runs seem to be to the outside...........a pattern that he continued last game.

Yep! The DE's have to set the edge amd maintain it. Or the LB, depending on the alignment.

You know they are going to call a high number of rollouts for him. They aren't going to let him get crushed in the pocket.

Well, they need to get the bugs worked out, cause they've got McNabb, VY twice, and now there's a better chance they'll see Vick as well.

Man, I want to see Pollard, Mario and Cushing taking turns planting VY in the turf.

Mario has stood up as well as being down in 3 point stance......and has been doing stunts to the inside as well and moving up and down the line.....

Mario has stood up as well as being down in 3 point stance......and has been doing stunts to the inside as well and moving up and down the line.....

That's because this season MARIO HAS A SHOULDER. After his offseason surgery, he is now able to not only try to always bull rush around the tackles. He is able to push the OL, use his arms/shoulders to POWER leverage his opponent and swim move his way INSIDE. Just watch some of last year's game tape.........his arms NEVER get above his shoulder. Then watch the Colts game where is routinely casting off his opponents! Shoulders are nice to have when you're a DE!:pirate:

And Mario has a more devastating bull rush as well. I don't see Mario and Ware being all that similar, except they are both great players.

Back