Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

R.I.P TexansTalk

3 hours for me to log in today. On the other thread, corrosion says he is on it but does not know what he can do.

Indeed. Anyone got a recommendation on an ad blocker for Edge (I refuse to use Chrome as it is a resource hoggin B)

Thats fair, just be aware that the way Edge gets away with using less resources and seems to be so fast is the same way IE did in that it's accessing the kernals and root files of your system in a way that only a microsoft product could. Normally this is fine but if you do happen to get a malicious virus and not just adware or something its going straight to the core of your computer and having a field day with your files. Outside browsers like Chrome or firefox can't access the files that way so you have a better chance of saving your files. Its a risk to reward type thing.

Indeed. Anyone got a recommendation on an ad blocker for Edge (I refuse to use Chrome as it is a resource hoggin B)
If Edge has a Settings tab, go into it and see if there is a selection for Add On, or something similar. See if you have Adguard as an add on. It's working great as an add on to my Firefox.

edit: so Edge is a Microsoft browser? I agree with Maverick512000.

Sad that on the 1st day of FA the site isn't working correctly and of the 2 people that can fix it, One last logged on last Thursday and the other in January. SMH.

I've always used Tapatalk. I don't have access to all the features I would in a browser but I don't find it very limiting.

The advantage is that I don't see a single ad or popup

Although the forum has been slow for me as well despite seeing no ads

I don't see a single ad ever while on this site and I use a browser.

Not sure if its the ad blocker or that I kick in less than the price for a happy meal a month.

Either way, its worth it given how much time I waste here posting insanities and general nonsense.

This post brought to you by pfizer... cause why not? Everything else is.

Corrosion reached out to me a couple of days ago about the issues here. Anyway, I'll cut to the chase. The site started dogging out because the physical memory on the server for the board was maxed out. I'm not sure why, however I have just hired a XenForo developer to figure that out. We're ramping up the server capacity and we're going to be upgrading to the latest version of XenForo. This one is several years old. As for the ads, we're going to see what's going on there also. XenForo has a Google ads plug in that has been active on the site since the beginning. No one has changed any settings on that, so I am not sure if the ads are getting more intrusive because of Google itself or the XenForo plug in doing some auto-updates. We'll get to the bottom of that also. I did check with my wife and we're averaging around $100/mo in Google revenue. I never really see that money as it goes into a Texans Talk business account that our accountant manages. It was set up for legal reasons and to keep this distinct from my real business. I used to cover the expenses of this site under my real business however I was advised that could be a problem and I had to stop. I do need to figure out the true cost to keep this site going. Obviously, $100/mo is peanuts. I've been told that this site could really be monetized well however I'm always knee deep in my real business and haven't had time to dive into that and what it would entail. Some of you guys do donate and I do appreciate that. I view those as a "tip jar" for keeping things going, and again I really appreciate that. Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm not letting things die here. Once I found out that there was an issue I immediately started looking for someone to help get things back on track. I'm currently in Spain, so saw Corrosion's message around 2 in the morning :).

As for me, some of you know me personally and know that we left Texas about 12 years ago. We live in the Tampa Bay area now (when not in Spain like now). I grew up an Oilers/Bucs fan. Oilers because of home, Bucs because I just liked the orange uniforms, maybe because they were the same color as my school La Porte. Also AFC/NFC so rarely a conflict there. Now Tampa Bay is home, so I attend a lot of games at Ray Jay, however that said I still follow the Texans. I always have the Texans game on in my man cave or at our Bucs tailgate if the Texans are on early and the Bucs have a late 4 o'clock kickoff. Besides the Bucs home playoff game that I attended, I would say the Texans beating the fake Oilers was the highlight of my season. I just wanted you guys know where I'm at, etc. I don't come here often not because I have no interest in the Texans, it's that I don't have a lot of time to discuss football online anymore. I don't even belong to a Bucs forum and at the most I might comment on a Facebook post related to either the Bucs or Texans but that's about it.

I also would like to give a shout out to Double Barrel, he's kept a good eye on this place for years. I really appreciate that and also all of the other mods that have kept things going. I've just been paying the bills and keeping the technology side of things going. It's obviously time for me to do my part again, so I am kicking in there. I am not sure how long this upgrade, etc will take but I will keep you all posted.

BTW, I am open to possibilities of making this site better and reach its full potential. I think the Texans are finally turning the corner and have a great future ahead of them. That should only bring more interest to sites like this. Anyway, I appreciate all of your patience. Thank you.

I think I just successfully removed the ads. Maybe, we'll be rid of the Google ads, and I will replace that with some promo of my real business, which is real estate search related, sponsored by "MoveTube". If I'm doing that then I can probably go back to covering the expense of this place with my business. :thinking:

I'll discuss that with my accountant. :)

Hookem Horns, up thread, has likened contributions to a "tip jar". This is obvious in that there is no big push for "tips". Early yesterday I commented that if they really wanted a serious effort to increase contributions they needed a dedicated locked thread with explanation and instruction for contributing.

someone set up Zelle or Venmo so I can donate..

Well, not a bad idea. I can buy beer with my Venmo card, not so much with my Paypal account :). I'll set up a Venmo "tip jar" and create some sort of non-intrusive way (a banner, thread or something) to promote my real business on here, which is a national real estate search portal made for TV called "MoveTube". We're on Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, etc.

We'll join HAR MLS, and get all of the live Houston area real estate listing data in there so you guys can have fun cruising local properties on your streaming TV. I think doing this I can then legitimately cover any Texans Talk expenses with my business and not be relying on Google ads which everyone obviously hates.

I think with this I can get the powers that be (our accountant, my wife, etc) to sign off on this.

Then I think we're all good. Sound good to everyone else?

I cannot ever complain about a site that someone is donating his personal time to run for free. Thanks for keeping it going all these years even while living out of country.

There was a time I auto-donated to this site, but the global credit card scammers kept getting my number. I lost count of how many credit cards I've cancelled/reissued. It caused me to lose track of all my auto-pays and where I needed to update my CC info. Maybe I just need to stop giving my info to Russian mafia fronts.

My favorite online theft occurred when a hacker used a cash machine in Dubai to steal $2000 from my bank account. That was obviously the bank's liability, so they reimbursed me.

Halford_Resurrection.jpg

I think I just successfully removed the ads. Maybe, we'll be rid of the Google ads, and I will replace that with some promo of my real business, which is real estate search related, sponsored by "MoveTube". If I'm doing that then I can probably go back to covering the expense of this place with my business. :thinking:

I'll discuss that with my accountant. :)
That's interesting and hopefully allows you benefit to your business. Thanks again for all you do.

Well, not a bad idea. I can buy beer with my Venmo card, not so much with my Paypal account :). I'll set up a Venmo "tip jar" and create some sort of non-intrusive way (a banner, thread or something) to promote my real business on here, which is a national real estate search portal made for TV called "MoveTube". We're on Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, etc.

We'll join HAR MLS, and get all of the live Houston area real estate listing data in there so you guys can have fun cruising local properties on your streaming TV. I think doing this I can then legitimately cover any Texans Talk expenses with my business and not be relying on Google ads which everyone obviously hates.

I think with this I can get the powers that be (our accountant, my wife, etc) to sign off on this.

Suggestion: if you can find a source of directing money from us to you that unlike PayPal goes mostly to you that would be great. I stopped using PayPal years ago because of being charged 6% of amount. I understand that but prefer most of that to go to your site.

Suggestion: if you can find a source of directing money from us to you that unlike PayPal goes mostly to you that would be great. I stopped using PayPal years ago because of being charged 6% of amount. I understand that but prefer most of that to go to your site.

Yes, I just put up a Venmo link. I think most should be good with that. Thanks badboy!

I have heard of venmo but don't know much about it so I will research. I just don't use credit cards

It's getting popular. I see musicians everywhere using it for tips. It's the most popular cash app for people exchanging money, for example if you want to reimburse someone for tickets, etc. I only use it for fun money. Zelle is common too.

Reactions: JB
It's getting popular. I see musicians everywhere using it for tips. It's the most popular cash app for people exchanging money, for example if you want to reimburse someone for tickets, etc. I only use it for fun money. Zelle is common too.
Venmo works directly from bank to bank if desired also, no CC needed as does Zelle

Would love to learn more about this. I own a real estate company in WI and am pretty involved with my local MLS.

My all time favorite Priest song! That song was so awesome live.
Yep saw them twice once in Houston other San Antonio Def Leppard opened. Me been playing guitar since the 60s played lots including Judas Priest songs. BUt your fav what are the odds they had many songs several albums. Glenn TIpton gtr try getting a singer like high note falsetto Rob never found one. It was fun and glory tho playing dem metal bands etc. ANyway Hookem back to the thread right? nice meeting you

General question. A lot of exciting things have happened the past 3 days. Why aren't there threads for each of the texans transactions so we can discuss?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

General question. A lot of exciting things have happened the past 3 days. Why aren't there threads for each of the texans transactions so we can discuss?

We usually starts them but since we have a FA thread, everything is being posted there.

That would be a ridiculous clutter of unnecessary threads, you’re absolutely free to discuss any transactions mentioned in the FA 2024 thread. You’ll get the individual “welcome” threads come draft time….

Well, it's supposed to rain this weekend. Anything else to be said further derailing an already useless thread should be posted here.

Back